- 1941 - 1987 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
12.5 m of textual records
· 3,288 prints
· 500 composite/retouched packages
· 2,889 (2,795 acetate/polyester negatives, 94 glass negatives)
· 1,158 slides/transparencies
64 audio recordings
· 49 – ¼ in. tapes
· 15 audiocassettes
337 video recordings
· 12 – 1 in. reels (ca. 33 min.)
· 217 – ¾ in. cassettes (ca. 44.8 hrs.)
· 74 VHS cassettes (ca. 42.8 hrs.)
· 6 Betacam SP cassettes (ca. 2.3 hrs.)
· 26 Digital Betacam cassettes (ca. 26.5 hrs.)
· 2 CVC videocassettes (ca. 20 min.)
· 10 reels 8 mm col. production elements (ca. 5 min.)
· 9 reels 16mm b&w release print (ca. 79 min.)
· 1 reel 16mm b&w duplicate negative (ca. 30 min.)
· 2 reels 16mm col. negative (ca. 27 min.)
· 1 reel 16mm col. duplicate negative (ca. 27 min.)
· 3 reels 16mm col. interpositive (ca. 75 min.)
· 1 reel 16mm col. workprint (ca. 22 min.)
· 84 reels 16mm col. release print (ca. 32.73 hrs.)
· 3 reels 16mm magnetic soundtrack (ca. 100 min.)
· 1 reel 35mm col. interpositive (ca. 11 min.)
· 38 reel 35mm col. release print (ca. 44 min.)
1,945 sets of cinex strips
· 865 sets of 35mm b&w Cinex strips
· 400 sets of 35mm col. Cinex strips
· 680 strips 16mm Cinex (col., b&w)
115 graphic materials
· 102 unframed items
· 13 framed items
books (266 titles)
periodicals (38 titles)
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This fonds includes six series, divided by format. These are: Textual Material, Photographic Material, Audio Material, Video Material, Cinefilm/Cinex, and Artifacts.
The first series, Textual Material, is chiefly made up of scripts, storyboards, production files, research files, correspondence, meeting notes, equipment files, technical drawings, bylaws, cast/crew lists, contracts and proposals.
The second series, Photographic Material, represents all periods of Spiess’ career, from his early portraiture and fine art images to his industrial/commercial work to production stills documenting his cinematographic work. This series is divided into two subseries: PH.1239 & PH.610977 and PH.240609.
The third series, Audio Material, includes soundtrack production elements and music.
The fourth series, Video Material, includes high quality dubs of the various versions of the finished commercial productions, as well as production elements for those commercials shot on video.
The fifth series, Cinefilms/Cinex, includes finished release prints of the various commercials as well as a number of short films by Spiess.
The sixth series, Artifacts, consists of examples of the tools that Spiess used to teach his students, as well as mementos of his involvement with the CSC.
This fonds includes 1,635 examples of Spiess’ commercials with most of the major local
and national clients represented. Clients/Products advertised include:
Bank of Montreal
Black Magic Chocolates
Black and Decker Tools
Canada Savings Bonds
Ford Motor Co.
General Motors Canada/GMC
Great West Life
HIV/AIDS prevention PSA
Miracle Food Mart
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
Oscar Myer Wieners
Sherwin Williams paint
As well there are AV materials relating to his full length film
Die Thomaner (1941)
Don’t Hurry Past: Cerebral Palsy
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Preservation concerns may limit access, consult archivist.
Conditions governing reproduction
Media Commons does not own copyright of collection materials. Consult rights holder for reproduction(s).
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Contact archivist for further finding aid information.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Rules and/or conventions used