Showing 80 results

People and organizations

Yoshida Family

  • Family

Shigeuki Edward Yoshida was born May 16, 1908 in Victoria, B.C (d. 2004). As a child he grew up in Chemainus, B.C. and became very interested in the Boy Scouts of America. He became a Lone Scout and quickly climbed the ranks. In 1925 he began the first Japanese Canadian troupe, unique to Canada and the British Empire at the time. He went on to work as a truck driver and insurance agent for Victoria Lumber & Manufacturer Co. in Chemainus, B.C. Edward Shige married Sumiko Yoshida (nee Takahashi), who was born March 16, 1915 in Canada (d. 2013). They would have four children together.

In 1942, the family were forcibly uprooted from Chemainus and sent to Hasting Park, Vancouver, B.C. From there they went to Tashme, B.C. Edward Shige Yoshida has been remembered for his time during Japanese Canadian internment and his forming of the first Boy Scouts group in Tashme, B.C. The popularity and success of this group, led to Yoshida aiding the formation of the Girl Guides group at Tashme as well. The Scouts group at its peak included about 200 boys and was well recognized within the Scouting community. In 1946, the Yoshida family moved east, eventually settling in Ontario.

Bittman, Roman and Belec Bittman, Marilyn

  • Family
  • 1941 - present

Roman Bittman was born on June 5, 1941, in Fort Vermilion, Alberta. He grew up in a hunter-farming community with his German father and Metis mother. He later moved to Hay River, Northwest Territories. He entered the world of media when he started the first northern radio station at 17. As he grew, he became a film producer, businessman and writer. His contributions to Canadian media and Indigenous cultural organizations are many, as he was involved in more than 100 films and was well-known for having designed and implemented the Film Industry Labour Tax Credit, which was an essential financial instrument that fueled the growth of the English Canadian film industry. Roman Bittman worked at CBC News and was the producer for the series he is most well-known for, The Nature of Things, CBC’s flagship natural history and science series. His involvement in various Indigenous productions includes his position as an early advisor to the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network (APTN). He served as President of the Nova Scotia Film Development Corporation and produced the awards show the National Aboriginal Achievement Foundation (NAAF), now known as Indspire today; he was the organization’s interim CEO. He died in 2017 and received special awards after his death, such as the Canadian Screen Awards in 2019.

Marilyn Belec Bittman is an award-winning film industry veteran for 32 years. She worked for the National Film Board and owned her company, Mobius Media. She worked alongside her husband, in Mobius Media. During her time as president of Mobius Media, she made and distributed films and acquired films produced outside her production company only if they had won awards. She was also a producer at the National Film Board’s Atlantic office. She helped found the first Canadian chapter of Women in Film and TV – Toronto.

Blake Wrong family

  • Family

Family members include Samuel H. Blake and his wife Rebecca Blake, Edward Blake and Gerald Blake, as well as cousins Murray, Hume and Harold Wrong.

Samuel H. Blake is the brother of Edward Blake (1833-1912). Rebecca Blake is the sister of Margaret Blake (1837-1917).

Dave and Dale Cox

  • Family
  • 1967-2023

Dale and Dave Cox are prominent figures in the Canadian animation industry. Now retired, the couple worked for major Canadian animation studios and led many major animated programs. Their work has been internationally recognized, and has won many awards, including two Daytime Emmy Awards.
Both Dale and Dave graduated from Sheridan College in the late 1960’s and early 70’s in Animation. Both began their education in graphic design but switched to animation after taking a few classes and realizing they truly enjoyed the processes and creating stories. After graduation, Dave was hired by Sheridan College to direct animated commercials for the school. He then moved on to be hired by VideoArt Productions, where he worked with Bob Kain. The two would stay close friends and continue to work together. Dale began her career after college by freelancing. From there she got a job with Rainbow Animation where she stayed for a few years.
The duo are most known for their time with the Canadian animation company Nelvana. Working over 30 years for the company, they have lent their talents to many beloved programs, including The Care Bears, Inspector Gadget, and Rolie Polie Olie. Often, Dave would direct, and Dale would be the production manager.
Overall, the Coxes have worked on over 70 animation projects. Some have been independent work, and have been invited to the Academy Awards. Their skills have been recognized by film makers and fellow animators alike. The many television programs they have worked on have become household names. Dave and Dale Cox have made significant impacts to both the Canadian animation field and the animation world. They have worked on programs both in Canada and internationally, and helped to make Canada one of the leaders in animation during their long careers.

Bader family

  • Family

Alfred Bader was born in Vienna, Austria in 1924. After Kristallnacht he was included in the first Kindertransport from Vienna to Britain in December 1938. In 1940 he was interned in a British detention centre until being transferred to another centre on Quebec’s Ile aux Noix later that year; while there he studied for McGill University’s matriculation exams, passing them in 1941. After World War II he studied chemistry and engineering at Queen’s University, receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in 1945. Emigrating to the United States, he pursued graduate studies at Harvard, earning an M.Sc. in organic chemistry in 1948 and then a Ph.D. in 1949. During a sea voyage to Liverpool that year he met Isabel Overton.

After his studies Bader began work as a research chemist with PPG Co. in Milwaukee, Wisconsin from 1950–1954, and then became chief chemist for Aldrich Chemicals Company (1954–55), and subsequently its president (1955–81) and chairman (1981–91). He served as president of Sigma-Aldritch Corporation (1975–80) and its chairman (1980–91), then as chairman emeritus (1991–92). Alfred Bader became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1964. He has received honourary degrees from several universities in the United States, Canada and England. He passed away in 2018.

Isabel Louise Overton was born in northern Ontario and graduated from Victoria University in 1949 (DLittS Vic ’95). After touring England in the summer of 1949 she accepted a teaching post at St. Francis School, Bexhill-on-Sea in Sussex, where she taught drama, French and Spanish and established a costume museum. She remained there until her marriage to Alfred Bader in 1982. In 2000, the Isabel Bader Theatre was completed at Victoria University. She passed away in 2022.

McInnes Family

  • Family
  • Walter John McGill McInnes, student at Toronto School of Medicine, listed as attending 1861-1862 (1862-1863 annual announcement): Born 1843(?), Died 1919.
  • Norman Walter McInnes student in medicine 1893-1897, MB 1897.

van der Smissen Family

  • Family

The van der Smissens were Germans of Netherlandish origins. One of the family, Henry van der Smisson, emigrated to Canada in 1833. His Toronto-born son, William Henry van der Smisson, was a professor of German at the University of Toronto beginning in 1892, and at the time was regarded as the chief authority of German in Ontario. He also filled the positions of Registrar and Librarian for seventeen years at the university.

Potvin family

  • Family

Dr. Laurent Potvin and his wife Mrs. Colette Potvin were lay members of the Papal Commission on Population and Birth Control.

The Papal Commission met in Rome from 1963 to 1966. The Commission was initially convened by Pope John XXIII and continued by Pope Paul VI after Pope John’s death in 1963. Originally, six members were appointed to the Commission and the group was later expanded into a two-part 79 member commission comprised of 64 lay persons (i.e. people who are not bishops, priests, or deacons in the Church) and 15 clerics. The mission of the Commission was to determine how the Church could change its position on birth control, due to rapid population growth, without undermining papal authority.

After three years of deliberation, the Commission concluded that it was not possible to make this change without undermining papal authority, but that the Church should change their position on contraception and birth control. The lay members voted 60 to 4 for change, and the clerics, 9 to 6 for change. Chairman of the Commission, Rev. Henri de Riedmatten, produced a final report, often referred to as the “Majority Report”, that reflected this call for change.

Despite the overwhelming vote of the members of the Commission, Pope Paul refused to alter the Vatican's stance on birth control citing that to do so would fundamentally undermine papal infallibility and, in 1968, wrote the ''Humanae Vitae'' encyclical which emphasized the continuation of the Vatican's opposition to contraception.

Klement Family

  • Family
  • 19--

The Klement family was a wealthy Jewish family in pre-World War II Prague. They owned a large fashion house and two clothing stores, and lived in an elegant apartment in the city. Soon after Tomi was born, his parents Egon and Hedvika (Heda) purchased a house outside the city, with a large garden and staff. Within two years, Tomi was diagnosed with a nerve disease known as Sydenham’s chorea (commonly known as St.Vitus Dance), and his fragile health made him even more precious to his family. Beginning at age two, his grandmother created albums for him. In July 1943, the Klement family was deported to Theresienstadt concentration camp and fourteen months later they were shipped to Auschwitz where Anna, Heda and Tomiwere gassed. Egon was taken to a labour camp at Gleiwitz, survived a death march and returned to Prague. He eventually settled in Toronto with his new wife, Františka and her son Miro.

Miller Family

  • Family
  • [18-?]-

William John Miller (1889-1960) was a Toronto architect active from 1908 until some time after WWII. Son of the prominent architect George Martell Miller (1854-1933), William John Miller trained under his father and was a registered member of the Ontario Association of Architects from 1935 onwards. William assisted his father's firm with several notable commercial and residential projects in and around the city of Toronto, and would eventually take over his father's firm. Architectural plans for buildings completed by the Millers are held in the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library's Miller collection (Manuscript Collection 194).
William Miller married Ruby Adelaide Scott (died 1973). The couple lived for several years at 105 Rochester Avenue in Toronto and had a daughter, Joanne Martell Miller. The family frequented a summer cottage on Lake Simcoe, known as "Martell Villa." In 1949, Joanne married Robert Butt Dunlop, a Toronto area dentist, to become Joanne Martell Miller Dunlop (also known as Mrs. R.B. Dunlop). She died August 5, 1980.

Milne Family

  • Family
  • [fl. 1797-1957]

The Milne family was a Scottish family that settled in Ontario following the initial emigration of Peter Milne to New York in 1797. His brothers David, William and Alexander as well as their mother Helen joined him in New York. Alexander emigrated to Canada in 1817 and started a woolen mill and saw mill in Markham. Alexander and Peter Milne became partners in the operation of the mills in Markham ca. 1824. In 1827, Peter married and the brothers dissolved their partnership. Alexander moved to North York and established a mill at Don Mills and Lawrence (the site of Edwards' Gardens). He acquired the property along Lawrence from this site over to what is now Woodbine, where he moved his milling operations in 1832. Alexander operated it with his son William into the 1860s.
After Alexander's death, William Milne continued to operate the mill with his son Alexander W. Milne. In 1878, a new mill was erected after bad floods had damaged the previous one. After William Milne's death in 1880, Alexander W. Milne took over the operation of the mills. Either he or his son, Charles S. Milne, closed the mills in the early 1900s.
Charles S. Milne (b. 1877) married Edna Shepard Johnson in 1909. Edna (b. 1880) was the daughter of Abram S. Johnson and Saida A. Shepard, of North York.

Tymperon Family

  • Family

Henry Tymperon was rector of Market Orton (Overton), Rutland. He married firstly Margaret Yonge, and secondly Margaret Mackworth. By his second wife, he had two daughters: Henrietta, who married John Mottram in 1718, and Mary, who married Henry Masters in 1724.

Blunden, Edmund

  • Family
  • 1896-1974

Edmund Blunden was born in London, England, in 1896. Educated at Christ's Hospital and Queen's College, Oxford, he joined the Royal Sussex Regiment on the outbreak of the First World War. During the war, Blunden fought at Ypres and the Somme and won the Military Cross for bravery. Blunden wrote about these experiences in Undertones of War (1928). He also produced collected editions of the work of the war poets Wilfred Owen (1931) and Ivor Gurney (1954). He held several academic posts, including professor of English literature at Tokyo University, University of Hong Kong and Oxford University. He wrote books on Leigh Hunt, Thomas Hardy, Percy Bysshe Shelley and Charles Lamb. He also published several volumes of poetry: Pastorals (1916), The Waggoner (1920), The Shepherd (1922), English Poems (1925), Poems: 1930-40 (1941) and After the Bombing (1950). He died in 1974.

Cartwright family

  • F2182
  • Family
  • 1806-1955

The Cartwrights were a prominent Upper Canadian Loyalist family, living in the Kingston area and later in York (Toronto). The Hon. Richard Cartwright Jr. (1759-1815) had twin sons, Robert David Cartwright (1804-1843), an Anglican minister, and John Solomon Cartwright (1804-1845), a Kingston lawyer who became involved in banking, real estate, and politics. The youngest of John Solomon Cartwright’s children was John Robison Cartwright (1842-1919), a lawyer who became deputy attorney general of Ontario.

In June 1868, John Robison Cartwright married Emily Boulton (1845-1920), in Cobourg, Ontario. Emily’s grandfather, D’Arcy Edward Boulton (1785-1846) had built The Grange in Toronto as his family home. Her father D’Arcy Edward Boulton (1814-1902) and mother Emily Mary Caroline Heath married in 1838 and raised their ten children at their home, known as The Lawn, in Cobourg. D’Arcy was a lawyer active in town affairs, serving as mayor of Cobourg from 1854 to 1857. John Robison Cartwright and Emily Boulton Cartwright had six children: Mabel (1869-1955), John Macaulay Boulton (1872-1877), Stephen Hayter (1875-1909), Ralph Bingham (1877-1899), Edwin Aubrey (1879-1951), and Winifred Macaulay (1883-1953).

Their first child, Mabel Cartwright, was born in Kingston, Ontario, in 1869. She grew up in Toronto and later went to England where she was educated at Cheltenham Ladies’ College and Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University. Mabel earned honours in the School of Modern History, taught in Oxford High School and, upon her return to Toronto, at Bishop Strachan School for four years. In 1903 she was appointed the second Lady Principal and in 1925 Dean of Women at St. Hilda’s residence, Trinity College. She taught English at Trinity College until her retirement in 1936. In 1925 she was granted a Doctor of Laws (honoris causa) by the University of Toronto. Through the years she held numerous posts including that of president of the Women's Auxiliary of the Diocese of Toronto.

Clarkson Family

  • F2224
  • Family
  • 1881-1963

The Clarksons were a prominent Toronto family associated with the accounting and stock brokerage firm, Clarkson Gordon. The majority of the records in this fonds pertains to Alice Amelia Clarkson (née Baines, 14 December 1881 - 10 March 1964), daughter of Mary Louise Baines (née Conventay, 1858-1933) and Christopher C. Baines (b. 1846), and her descendants. Alice Clarkson, sometimes referred to as Vally, attended Bishop Strachan School before enrolling at Trinity College in 1901. She graduated with a B.A. in 1904. Alice Clarkson’s sister, Marguerite Baines (1884-1951?), a frequent and constant correspondent of her sister, never married and lived with her mother. Marguerite and Alice would often accompany Mary Baines on her frequent travels to Europe, Asia, and the United States. By the 1920s, Marguerite and her mother would take up permanent residence in Vancouver.

Alice Clarkson married Frederick Curzon Clarkson (3 December 1880-6 August 1951), son of Amy Lambe Clarkson (1852-1925) and Edward Roper Clarkson (1852-1931) on 7 October 1909. For the majority of their married life they lived at 58 Admiral Road in Toronto. Frederick Clarkson worked for his father’s accounting firm, E.R.C Clarkson and Sons, later Clarkson Gordon & Co.

Alice and Frederick Clarkson had three children, Margaret Eleanor Clarkson (b. 8 May 1912), Frederick Curzon Clarkson (1914-1973?), and Cuthbert B. Clarkson (b. 1920). Margaret (Margot) Clarkson studied at Ovenden College, Barrie, before attending Trinity College in 1929. She graduated with a B.A in 1933. She never married and became a social worker based in New York City in the 1940s. Like her mother and grandmother, she travelled extensively in her youth during the 1930s.

Curzon Clarkson attended Lakefield Preparatory School as a child and entered Trinity College in September of 1933, where he stayed until May of 1934. In September 1934 he transferred to a vocational training school in Detroit, Michigan, most likely the General Motors Institute. Curzon married Mary Louise Porter with whom he had two children: Frederick (Rick) Clarkson (1944?-1998) and Pegi Clarkson (d. 2014). He settled in St. Catharines, Ontario, with his family.

Cuthbert Clarkson attended Upper Canada College and Queen’s University. In 1941 he joined the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps and served overseas in Britain most likely from 1943 to 1946. His marital status is unknown. He appears to have resided with his mother, Alice Clarkson, during the final two decades of her life.

Dalley Family

  • Family
  • [1700?]-

By 1773 (or earlier) the Dalley family owned property at Rudge in Wiltshire, England. In the nineteenth century (and possibly before) they appear to have been operating a pottery works. In 1813/14 one member of the family at Rudge, William Dalley, held the rank of Captain in the local militia, and was called up for service at Salisbury and Gosport. In the 1830's members of the family (Frederick, later Edwin, and possibly others) emigrated to Canada. By 1846 Edwin Dalley
(c.1813-1884) had established a retail druggist's business in Hamilton, leasing premises on James St. North in a block developed by Sir Alan MacNab. In 1851 he gave up the retail drug business to become involved in wholesaling and in the manufacture of blacking, chemical manure, and other substances, setting up a factory on the outskirts of town. He became a leading business man of Hamilton and in 1857 was elected Councillor for St. Mary's Ward. His two sons, Edwin Adolphus and Frederick Fenner, were active in the business. In 1875 Frederick Fenner took over the business which he continued as F.F. Dalley & Co. In 1881 Edwin Adolphus returned from New York where he had lived in the 1870's and joined the business. In 1893 the business was incorporated as the F.F. Dalley Co. Ltd. and continued under that name until at least 1907. The company manufactured blacking, inks, shoe polish, flavouring extracts, patent medicines, dye stuffs, baking powder, and spices as well as being a wholesaler for oils, drug sundries etc.

Denton Family

  • Family
  • [18–?]-[19–?]

James Herbert Denton (1865-1933) was born near Richmond Hill and was educated at Orangeville Institute and the University of Toronto. In 1894, he married Elizabeth W. Gundy, Toronto. After his graduation from law school in 1890, he practiced law in Toronto. In 1906, his “The Law of Municipal Negligence Respecting Highways” was published; it was widely used as a text and reference. In 1909, he was appointed judge in York County. He was appointed Senior Police Magistrate in 1921, but he resigned from this post in 1924. In 1929 he was appointed Senior County Judge in York County, a position which he held until his death. In addition to his legal and judicial duties he was also asked to make inquiries into various public matters and to conduct the required investigations. He was a member of the Toronto Public Library Board for five years, and chairman of the Board for one year. From 1904 to 1905 he was President of the Liberal Association of Toronto.

Ayliffe Family

  • Family
  • fl. 1572-1613

The Ayliffe family was a yeoman family that leased the farm of Skyres (Skeyers, Skiers), Wootton St. Lawrence, Hampshire from the end of the 15th century to at least 1674. The Ayliffe family also owned other properties in Hampshire: Boltishams (Bolshams) farm, North Oakley farm and Hannington farm.
Richard Ayliffe was born in 1564. He was the grandson of another Richard, the son of Thomas. In 1594, he married Elizabeth Venables. Their children were Joan (b. 1596), Thomas (1597-1644), Richard (b. 1599), Andrea (b. 1601), Jane (1603-1604) and Elizabeth. A cousin was Richard Ayliffe of Ewhurst. In 1611, Richard Ayliffe was forced to move to the parsonage at Amport, Hampshire, after falling into financial difficulties by acting as guarantor to his nephew, Bernard Calverd. He died there in 1614.

Black (Davidson) Family

  • Family
  • 1838-

This section is under review for historical accuracy. Please check back for an updated version
The Davidson Black’s family history in Canada begins in 1840 when it arrived in Montreal, settling later in the Whitby area in Canada West. The patriarch’s son, the first Davidson Black, was born in England in 1825. He graduated from University College in the University of Toronto with a BA in 1867, even though the only recorded information of his attendance is that he took a third year civil polity (pass) course in 1865-1866. In 1869 he was admitted as a student-at-law to Osgoode Hall. He was sworn in as an attorney on 23 November 1871 and was called to the bar in 1872. Soon thereafter Davidson set up shop at 17 Toronto Street with two younger lawyers who had been fellow students at University College, Thomas Dawson Delamere and Henry Arthur Reesor; the firm was called Delamere, Black and Reesor. Thomas Delamere was the eldest son of a family of four boys and two girls that had emigrated from Ireland to Toronto in 1852. His youngest sister, Margaret Bowes (born in 1850), an organist, was a beauty who caught the eye of Davidson. He proposed to her in October 1878 and she accepted. Her mother and Tom’s approval was muted, but brothers Harry and Joe were enthusiastic. Davidson and Margaret married at end of December 1879 and settled in Toronto where their two sons were born, Redmond in 1880 and Davidson William on 25 July 1884.

This ordered family life was disrupted on 12 July 1886 when Davidson dropped dead of a heart attack at the age of 61. Margaret resolved to be independent and refused to move in with any members of her family. But, knowing she would have to find employment, she accepted Tom’s help in getting a position in Osgoode Hall. She moved her boys into a smaller house at 3 Anderson Street and got on with life. She never remarried. Over the years she and Davidson established a close bond of understanding that is revealed in his voluminous letters to her; his first letters home are dated 1891. In March 1907, with her boys having left home (Redmond to become a banker) Margaret moved to 46 Avenue Road and a few years later to 52 Avenue Road where she resided for the rest of her life. In February 1913 she changed her surname officially to Davidson-Black. In July 1922, she was struck by a car after alighting from a streetcar and fractured her skull. It was the fourth accident she had suffered in recent years. In March 1923, she wrote to Davidson that she had done every job at Osgoode Hall and would like any position that would give her enough money to live on and a pension after 37 years of service there. She died of a stroke in Toronto on 14 September 1929.

Redmond Black was sometimes referred to as “Gov” by himself and his family. He worked for the Dominion Bank for most of his life, in various locations mostly in Ontario including Oshawa, Napanee, Belleville, Huntsville, Seaforth, Hespeler and Dresden. He and his wife, Grace, had three children, Redmond, Harold and Gay. Redmond enlisted and was sent to Durban, South Africa in spring 1902 as part of the Halifax contingent of the Canadian Mounted Rifles during the South African (Boer) War. In 1916 he served as a senior commanding officer in the 110th Perth County Battalion, and later as part of the 8th Canadian Reserve Battalion, St. Martin’s Plain, Shorncliffe, Kent.

Davidson William Black, who was known as “Dyo” to his family and “Kid” to his brother Redmond, never used his middle name. He attended the Model School on Gerrard Street. During his fourteenth year he was bedridden with rheumatic fever. As he entered his teens, he made frequent summer trips as a “chore boy” with his maternal uncles to Minden in the Kawartha Lakes, where he learned the importance of keeping detailed and accurate notes. He also developed an interest in ornithology, as surviving notebooks attest. He attended the Wellesley School before entering, in 1899, Harbord Collegiate Institute. At the latter he took courses in art and became a good amateur artist. As an adult, he composed small sketches of anything that interested him; many of these accompanied his correspondence. To finance his dream of taking medicine, he took summer jobs in the Huntsville and Minden areas. In October 1902, he registered as a matriculant in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, thus bypassing the matriculation examinations as he entered the four-year course in medicine at the University of Toronto. He graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine (MB) in 1906 with a pass standing. One of his fellow students, who became a good friend, was Edmund Vincent Cowdry, who later played a role in Davidson’s joining the Peking Union Medical College.

During the summer of 1906 Davidson worked at the Hudson’s Bay Company post on the Mattagami River and also served as an Ontario forest ranger in the Biscotasing area. In 1907 he acquired a miner’s licence and permission to prospect in the Temagami Forest Reserve. With the encouragement of Professor A. B. Macallum, he entered the Honour Arts programme at University College in the fall of 1906, “to widen his horizon and stimulate his powers of exploration and expression” . There he took courses in English, scientific French and German, world history and biology, and indulged in the athletic pastimes of boxing and fencing. Professor W. H. Piersol taught him “the principles and manipulations used in the preparation of material for microscopic examination” and stated he was “a terrifically hard worker”. Although his very amusing biographical sketch for the Class of 0T9 appears in the 1909 volume of Torontonensis, the undergraduate yearbook, he did not finally convocate until June 1911.

Dr. Black’s education continued in subsequent years. In June 1924 he was awarded a Master of Arts degree for his thesis, ‘The motor nuclei of the cerebral nerves in phylogeny. A study of the phenomenon of neurobiotaxis.’ In October 1927, with the upgrading of undergraduate medical degree from Bachelor of Medicine (MB), he was awarded an MD (Doctorate of Medicine).

Black spent the summer of 1909 back at Biscotasing, then headed for Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, where he had accepted a lectureship in the Department of Anatomy. While there he as much spare time as he could “visiting and working in the laboratories of famous institutions”. He was also able to study the specimens in the University’s large skeletal museum. During the summer holidays, he found employment with the Geological Survey of Canada where he acquired the “practical knowledge of structural and stratigraphical geology that subsequently amazed the geologists with whom he worked in connection with his later paleontological studies.” In the summer of 1911 he again went prospecting and on July 11 got caught in the great Porcupine fire. More than a week passed before he could wire his mother, “Am sending this for fear you have been worrying about us. We are all OK…” He had spent two nights standing in Porcupine Lake and was given government relief supplies and a free trip home.

The arrival in 1912 of T. Wingate Todd from the University of Manchester meant that Davidson was exposed to the former’s new ideas “as an interpreter of man’s relation to the anthropoids and on human evolution generally.” Early in 1913 Black was appointed Assistant Professor in the Department of Anatomy, and the first of his scientific articles appeared.

Early in the summer of 1912 Davidson visited his Delamere cousins at their summer house on Balsam Lake in the Kawartha Lakes near Coboconk. There he became reacquainted with Adena Nevitt, whom he had first met some years before at Go Home Bay. They were married in Toronto on 27 December 1913, with an old Delamere family friend, the Venerable Archdeacon Hill, officiating.

Adena (“Adna” in her student records) Sara Nevitt was the younger daughter of Dr. Richard Barrington Nevitt, an American who had been sent north for his education during the Civil War. He graduated from Trinity College in Toronto with a BA in 1871, and entered Trinity Medical School that fall. His formal medical education was interrupted by the opportunity to serve as an assistant surgeon in the original squadron of the Royal Northwest Mounted Police as it marched west from Fort Garry to Fort McLeod in 1872-1873. He then returned to Toronto to complete his medical degree at Trinity (MB 1874, MD 1882). In 1883 he was a founder of the Ontario Medical College for Women and president and dean until its merger with the University of Toronto in 1906. He was also a member of the Trinity College Corporation. All but two (Richard A. and Bertram, who was killed at Courcelette in France in 1916) of the six children of Dr. Nevitt and his wife, Elizabeth Beaty, a daughter of the co-founder of the Leader, attended university. Robert Barrington received his BA in 1900 from Trinity, and his MA in 1901, while Irving Howard entered the School of Practical Science, where he got his diploma in 1903 and his BASc in 1904. Mary Louise received her BA from Trinity in 1901. Robert became an Anglican clergyman and died in England in 1918. Irving became a sanitary engineer (died 1963), while Mary (died 1953) married the Reverend George Egerton Ryerson, who was an Anglican missionary in Japan from 1900 to 1917 before settling in England in 1923.

Adena attended Miss Veal’s School before entering Trinity College in 1901, from which she received her BA 1904. During their first year of marriage, she and Davidson were apart for several months; his vacation job was with the Geological Survey of Canada in British Columbia, while she travelled across Canada by rail to spend the summer in Japan. In the spring of 1914 Davidson took a leave of absence from Western Reserve and he and Adena travelled to England where he took a short course from Grafton Elliot Smith, his colleague Todd’s old chief at the University of Manchester. Smith had spent seven years in Egypt studying ancient skeletons and was then working on the reconstruction of the skull of the Piltdown Man. Black was fascinated by this field of work and became determined to devote his life to it. He re-directed his energy to the study of comparative anatomical material, becoming skilled at cast making, and studied the geological literature essential to his work. Black and Smith got on very well and the latter introduced him to colleagues in London, including Arthur Berridale Keith, Frederick Wood Jones and Arthur Smith Woodward. Smith also recommended him for a position at the University of Otago in New Zealand. Black also met a young Jesuit priest, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, who was interested in the Piltdown Man controversy and later took an active part in archaeological research in China.

Early in the summer of 1914 Black and Adena went to Amsterdam where, at Elliott Smith’s suggestion, Black worked under the guidance of the distinguished neurologist, Ariëns Kappers. They began a long association which was of considerable value to Black in his writings about the nervous systems in man and neuroanatomy. The Blacks remained in the city for a week after the declaration of war, then returned to London and sailed home. Black’s attempt to enlist was rebuffed because of the slight heart murmur he had had all his life. So he returned to Western Reserve where he remained until the United States declared war on Germany in April, 1917.

The Blacks then moved back to Toronto, where Davidson enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force on 27 July 1917 and was assigned to the Canadian Army Medical Corps with the rank of captain. He was attached to the Divisional Laboratory of Military District 2 from 1 September 1917 to 21 June 1918. Four days later he sailed for England where he was assigned to the CAMC Training Division at Risborough Barracks, Shorncliffe, in Kent. He remained there from 15 July to 30 August 1918, when he was given a week’s leave of absence to go to London to discuss the offer of an appointment to the Department of Anatomy at the Peking Union Medical College being established by the Rockefeller Foundation. He accepted the offer, generously backdated to June 1918 but to be taken up when he was released from military service. He then moved to the Canadian General Laboratory at Whitley Military Camp in Surrey, one of three in the Aldershot Command area established by the Canadian Army. He remained there until 2nd February 1919. Three weeks later he was back in Canada.

The following months were spent preparing for departure to China (Adena’s notes on items packed has survived). The Blacks left Toronto on 15 August by train for San Francisco, where they boarded the S.S. Ecuador for China. They arrived in Beijing on 21 September. It was there that their son, Davidson, was born on 12 March 1921, (Their daughter, Nevitt, was born on 2 October 1925.) Black familiarized himself with his surrounding by a series of local trips, especially to the Western Hills. His family also discovered Peitaiho, the popular Chinese summer holiday retreat, where they escaped the furnace-like heat of Peking in summer.

Black found his colleagues very agreeable; amongst them his old friend from university days, E. V. Cowdry, head of the Department of Anatomy at PUMC, George B. Barbour, and J. Gunnar Andersson. It was the last, with his expertise in local geology, and Black who were to lay the foundation for prehistoric research in China. Other colleagues included Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, and Dr. A. W Grabau, Professor of Palaeontology in the National University of Peking, became a mentor and from whom Black learned about a 1903 discovery of an ancient tooth, possibly that of a primitive man. In 1921 Cowdry resigned and Black replaced him. He emphasized the importance of physical anthropology as he built up his department and turned it into a well-equipped anthropological laboratory, in spite of initially finding little support in his attempt to promote anthropological research. He retained this position until his death and was admired by his Chinese colleagues for treating them with an equality that was rare at that time.

Black’s pursuit of evidence of the origins of man began almost immediately. In March 1920, he went to Kalgan, the terminus of the principal caravan route to Mongolia; this was followed in June and July by his first field expedition to investigate cave burials. His preliminary paper on the human skeletal remains in the Neolithic cave deposits at Shakoutun, was published that autumn, his first anthropological paper based on research in the field. The failure of some of his early expeditions, such as one to Jehol and the caves of the Lan River, caused him to look elsewhere; in 1923 he went to Siam as he believed man had migrated from the south. Though this trip proved fruitless, Black did not give up. He established a good working relationship with Dr. Wong Weng-hao who headed the recently formed Geological Survey of China. In 1922 he briefly joined (primarily to see Urga) the third Asiatic expedition of the American Museum of Natural History, which started in April from Kalgan for Mongolia, to study its zoology, paleontology, geology and botany and, if the press was to believed, discover the ‘Missing Link’. But it was Gunnar Andersson’s visit to in 1921 to the hills of Chou-K’ou-tien, twenty-five miles south-west of Beijing, and two years later to a spot near the local railway station, that really changed Black’s life. It was here in 1926 that Andersson’s expedition found an early Pleistocene tooth. Black was initially strongly criticized for regarding this as evidence of “Peking man”, but excavations under his direction at Chou-K’ou-tien began in 1927, with a two-year grant from the Rockefeller Foundation. They resulted in the discovery of more bone fragments and a skull by the Chinese geologists C. C. Young and W. C. Pei, and the confirmation of the validity of the genus Sinanthropus pekinensis which Black had named. His growing stature was recognized by the China Medical Board, now responsible for PUMC, the following year when it released him from teaching duties for three years from 1929 to pursue field research with what became an abortive mid-Asian expedition to Chinese Turkestan (the Swede, Sven Hedin, pulled out of an agreement and found funding for his own expedition).

In addition to their travels in Asia and within China (in addition to Siam, for example, they visited Hong Kong and Macau in 1930), the Blacks returned to Canada as often as they could. Staff at PUMC received a year’s leave every four years. Davidson took advantage of these furloughs to expand his professional experience, but some of their travels were occasioned by Davidson’s professional activities, others by the continuing civil turmoil in China. In 1923 Davidson had his first leave from PUMC; Adena arrived back in Toronto in June and he followed three months later, having escaped pirates on his journey. Adena used this opportunity to establish with Daisy and Marion Boulton of Toronto a business venture importing Chinese goods to Canada. This enterprise ran from 1924 to 1928, from which Adena made a good income. Between 1931 and 1934 she was associated with the trading firm, the Peking Temples Company.

At the end of 1923 Davidson was given a fellowship for travel and medical study in Europe, which he took advantage of to visit the leading medical authorities across Europe (his album of signed photographs is a memento of this trip). He returned to Toronto in August and the family headed back to Beijing. Adena was back in Toronto in April of 1927 with her children “owing to uprisings south of Pekin” (Davidson followed early in December). In April 1928 he attended the annual meeting of the American Association of Anatomists in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and visited old friends in Baltimore and New York. On 15 June 1928, Black and his family sailed to England. Davidson visited colleagues there and also in Europe. They returned to Toronto in August and early in October they left for China.

Back in China, in an attempt to obtain further financing, Black proposed to the Rockefeller Foundation the founding of a Cenozoic Research Laboratory to be linked to the Geological Survey of China. This would facilitate integrated field and laboratory work and extend the range of research. The Foundation agreed, provided $80,000 in funding, and Black brought V. K Ting of the Geological Survey of China in as an honorary director along with himself. The work of developing the fossils discovered at Chou-K’ou-tien “was carried out by Black himself with superb technical skill. Not only did he clean the fossils and photograph them himself, but also he made the excellent casts which have enabled workers in the rest of the world who could not see the fossils themselves, to form a very exact idea of their nature.”

In 1932 Black went on leave again, travelling overland through northern India, Afghanistan, Persia, and Iraq to Palestine and Egypt. Adena and the children went by ship to Vancouver while he sailed to Calcutta, meeting them back in Canada. He then made a quick trip to London on news that he had been elected to the Royal Society. On 8 December he delivered its Croonian Lecture, the first Canadian to do so. The family then returned to China. In June 1933 he was back in Canada to attend the Fifth Pacific Science Congress in Vancouver, where the possibility of an expedition the next year to the Yangtze with George Barbour and Teilhard de Chardin was discussed, with initial preparations being carried out in the spring of 1934.

As word of Black’s findings spread, he received many honours, the first being the Grabau Gold Medal of the Geological Survey of China (1929). This was followed in 1931 by the Daniel Giraud Eliot Medal and in 1932 he was awarded the King Gold Medal by the Peking Society of Natural History. He was made an honorary member or fellow of eight societies, including (in addition to the Royal Society) the National Academy of Sciences (Washington, DC), the Royal Anthropological Institute, and the National Institute of History and Philology, China.

Dr. Black was diagnosed with a serious heart condition in the fall of 1933 and spent a long time convalescing. A few days after he was allowed to return to work, he died in his office of a heart attack in the evening of 15 March 1934. For his obituary in Nature, G. Elliot Smith concluded, “In taking farewell of Davidson Black one regrets not only the loss of a friend of particular charm and generosity, but also the cutting short of the brilliant work in which he was engaged and which there is no one else competent to complete.”

Adena Black remained in China until the end of 1938 when she returned to Canada with Nevitt; Davy was already there. As the situation in China deteriorated, many others associated with the Peking University Medical College left as well. By the end of the 1930s, the Cenozoic Research Laboratory was a mere shell of what it had been. Adena died in Toronto at her home at 218 Cottingham Street on 4 May 1966.

Both of the Black children grew up fluent in Mandarin. Davidson was educated at the Peking American School from 1926 to 1936, except for 1932-1933 when he attended the preparatory school at Upper Canada College. From 1936 to 1940 he was at Ridley College in St. Catharines. He then spent a year at University College before entering medicine, receiving his MD from the U of T in 1946. Davidson married Lynne Sunderland (BA, Woodsworth College, 1985) on 18 January 1964. He died on 31 August 1988. Their son, Davidson (Davy) died on 15 March 2011 at the age of 42, 77 years to the day after his grandfather.

Nevitt attended the same school as her brother, beginning in 1931. Back in Toronto, she entered Bishop Strachan School before taking courses in Arts at Trinity College and in Medicine. She married John Ryerson Maybee, a native of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and a 1939 graduate of Trinity College (MA and PhD, Princeton), on 4 August 1945. He served with distinction in Canada’s diplomatic corps from 1945 to his retirement in 1978. He died in 2009, but she survives him and in 2013 is still active.

Imperial, Paul & Lynn

  • Family

The Aron Cinema is Campbellford Ontario, has been owned and operated by Paul Imperial from 1976 to 2011. The theater began screening films in 1947. Due to the lack of growth in the rural area, and change in cinema, the Aron was set to close down in 2009. The community rallied together, wanting to save the cinema that had become a major part of their neighborhood over the years. Together, they turned the theater into a not-for-profit co-operative. By selling bonds, fundraising, and the Imperial family taking out a mortgage, the facility was able to re-open in 2011. For their efforts, the Imperial family was awarded a plaque commemorating their 35 years of dedicated service.

With new backers, the theater has continued to be updated, the largest change being the upgrade to a digital projector from a 35mm projector. This has allowed the theater to show mainstream on-release Hollywood films. The theater has also begun to rent the space out to private parties and become a stage for festivals, even partnering with the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) to bring art and documentary films to the community.

Crone, Robert & Violet

  • Family

Robert and Violet Crone are Canadian pioneers in the film and television industry. They have each had very influential careers and have worked across the globe. Their resumes are extensive, each with their own long list of awards.

Robert (Bob) Crone grew up in Peterborough, Ontario as the son of a minister. It was in high school where he began to take steps towards his future career behind the camera. He made his first film there, but quickly moved to Toronto to work for CBC, which had just begun national television broadcasting. After a short time there, Robert began to work as a free-lance cameraman, and then a film producer. He would supply publicity shots, news stories, and interviews to Pan-American Airways, Time-Life, CBC, and other Canadian magazines.

His career then took him across the globe. He spent seven years traversing Asia, Africa, Europe, and coming home to Canada every so often. He covered news, and was often calmly entering divided cities, and politically charged situation to capture each areas story on film. With a custom-made sound mixing console in his Toronto home basement, he was able to produce a complete audio-visual package for his clients.

In 1964, Robert decided, with the support of his wife Vi, to open a film processing house. At the time, there were no film laboratories in Canada. Film House Limited began, serving visiting film producers and Canadians alike. Film House sales took off, doubling about every 18 months. By 1968, they were processing 75 to 125 orders a day. After ten years of success, Robert Crone sold the company to an ad agency and returned to shooting.

Robert Crone, along with help from his son David Crone, has been credited for bring the Steadicam to Canada, being the top operators of the invention. The entry of the Steadicam to the film scene revolutionized how many shot, as the camera stabilizing system allowed for free camera movement.

Violet (Vi) Crone grew up in Peterborough, Ontario. She was the first female camera operator in Canada and has studied at the New York Institute of Photography

Falke, Walter & Olga

  • Family

Avid collectors of the Golden Age of Radio and the early years of the American film industry.

Locke Family

  • ottca-f2310
  • Family
  • [1885]-2003

The Locke family patriarch was Robert Shaw Locke (1837-1911), a direct descendant of United Empire Loyalist Sir John Johnson. He married Florence Adelaide Sheldon in 1871 and the couple had four children, Sheldon, Robert Henry, Florence Alice and Herbert Alfred Edwin. The first two attended Trinity College. Theodore Sheldon Locke matriculated in 1890 At some point after he began at Trinity College he was the victim of an unfortunate hazing incident and suffered a nervous breakdown. He left the College, returning in 1892, but was never awarded a degree. He became a teacher, but his later years were spent in a retirement home. Robert Henry Locke, his brother, graduated in 1904, became a lawyer and was appointed to the American Supreme Court..Herbert Locke married Irene Anthes of Parkdale, a 1903 graduate, along with her sister Libby Anthes, of St. Hilda’s. Their brother Laurence did not attend Trinity but was active in dramatic productions at the College. Herbert and Irene Locke had four daughters; the eldest, Elizabeth Sheldon Locke (Lambe), was a 1933 graduate of St. Hilda’s. Her daughter Laurie Lambe Wallace graduated from Trinity College in 1968.

Waddell family

  • Family

Ruddock Waddell (BA 1905) was a student in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Toronto, and also active in student government.

Mary Evelyn Gertrude Waddell (BA 1903, MA 1904) studied Mathematics and Physics and later became the first woman appointed to the University's mathematics staff in 1920.

Hicks Family

  • F2074
  • Family
  • 1898-1979

Rivers Keith Hicks (RKH), university professor, was born in 1878 in Highbury Terrace, London, England, to Rivers Hicks (1854-1940) and Edith (Barcham) Hicks (1857-1904). The family moved soon after to Surrey. He was brother to Graham Barcham (b. 1879), Peter Rivers (b.1881), Ruth (b.1882), Edith (b.1883), Gilbert (b.1885), Louisa (b.1887), and John (b.1891).
RKH was educated at Cranleigh School, Surrey, and Emmanuel College, Cambridge, where he took the Mathematics tripos in 1901. He was assistant master at Routenburn School, Ayrshire, 1901, Cranleigh School, 1901-4, and Highgate School, London, 1904-7.

In 1907, RKH came to Canada and was an assistant master at Upper Canada College until 1911. He obtained an MA from Harvard in 1912. He was an instructor at Harvard and Dartmouth during that time. He returned to Canada to become an associate professor of French at Queen’s University, Kingston, in 1916. He left in 1925 to serve as special investigator for the Canadian Committee on Modern Languages and helped produce the two-volume report Modern Language Instruction in Canada (1928).

In 1927, RKH became Professor of Modern Languages at Trinity College, Toronto, and was named the first W.R. Brock Professor of French. He taught old French, philology, Renaissance literature, and eighteenth-century Literature. He became Registrar in 1943 and Dean of Arts in 1949, holding both positions until 1953. He wrote a number of textbooks, including The Reading Approach to French (1930), A New French Reader (1937), an abridged version of Prosper Mérimée’s Columba (1931), and an abridged version of Valentine Bonhoure’s Le Trésor de Châteauvieux (1935) as well as several standardized grammar tests incorporating the new approaches advocated in the committee’s report. He published an English translation of the first French play ever produced in Canada in 1608, Marc Lescarbot’s Théâtre de Neptune (1947). He also published an English translation of French-Canadian folk songs, Douze chansons canadiennes (1958). He had an interest in poetry and drama, serving as an honorary president of the Trinity College Dramatic Society, a member of the Board of Syndics of Hart House Theatre, and a director of the Crest Theatre. He died on 27 March 1964 in Toronto.

In 1911, RKH met Marjorie Ogilvy Edgar (1886-1951), daughter of Sir James David Edgar (1841-1899) and Matilda Ridout (1845-1910). They married in 1913. Marjorie was an amateur actress and writer, and an avid golfer and badminton player. She died on 21 May 1951 in Toronto. They had five children: John Edgar, Anthony Rivers, Douglas Barcham, Maud Jocelyn, and Michael Keith.

John Edgar Hicks, chartered accountant, was born circa 1914. He attended Lakefield Preparatory School and Upper Canada College and as a teenager worked as a caddy in Jasper, Alberta. He attended the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario until 1941. He worked for the Bank of Montreal, 1931-1932, and for Welch Anderson, Chartered Accountants, 1932-1939, before working for Tropical Oil Company in Colombia, 1939-1941. He developed an interest in aviation, joining the RCAF. He married Catherine (Kiki) Bethune. They had eleven children. He died in 1999 in Chemainus, British Columbia.

Anthony Rivers Hicks, naval officer, business executive, was born ca.1916. He attended Upper Canada College and entered Trinity College in 1933, graduating with a BA in 1938. He was in active service with the Royal Canadian Navy from August 1940. Later in life, he became an executive with the Sun Life Company and lived in Montreal. He married Jeanne Sargent and they had two children. He died in 1998 in Montreal.

Douglas Barcham Hicks, diplomat, was born in 1917. He attended University of Toronto Schools and the University of Toronto, graduating in 1939 with a BA. He was employed by the Department of External Affairs beginning in 1944 and served in important diplomatic posts in a number of African states in the 1970s, including high commissioner to Ghana, 1968-1971, and ambassador to Ethiopia, 1975-1978. He married Elizabeth Maud Stones and they had four children, three daughters and one son. He died in 1984 in Ottawa.

Maud Jocelyn Hicks, broadcaster, teacher, and writer, was born circa 1925. She attended Havergal College, 1942-1943, and then Trinity College, 1945-1946. She married John Smart and then John MacLean. She had three sons. She died in 2008 in Oakville.

Michael Keith Hicks, clergyman and civil servant, was born ca.1927. He attended University of Toronto Schools and then Trinity College, obtaining a BA in 1949 and an MA in 1950. He worked for the government of Canada and lives in Ottawa with his wife Barbara Findlay. They have three daughters.

Harris Family

  • F2050
  • Family
  • 1855-1961

Richard Homan Harris (1829-1908) was born in Cork, Ireland. He taught for a time near Cork and also in Montreal and area, having relocated after his family had immigrated to Montreal. He next studied at Trinity College, Toronto, graduating with honours in 1860 from a double course in arts and theology. He was ordained deacon on 14 October 1860 by Bishop John Strachan. Harris chose the mission field, serving parishes in Orillia (Ont.) and region, as well as Omemee, and later Brighton and Weston. While working in Orillia, he met and married Collinette De Grassi, and they had two children. Widowed in May 1874, the following June he married Olivia Colter Cottingham, and they had three children. At the time of his death, he was residing in Toronto. He was buried in Orillia.

Collinette Virginia Beaumaris Harris (1872-1955), daughter of Richard Homan Harris and Collinette De Grassi, was one of the first graduates of the Church of England Deaconess Missionary Training House in Toronto. She served as a missionary in Egypt for 16 years. At the time of her death, she was a resident of Hamilton, Ont. She was buried in Orillia.

Duckworth Family

  • f2062
  • Family
  • 1834-1927

Robinson Duckworth, clergyman, was born at Liverpool, 4 December 1834 and died 20 September 1911. He was the second son of Robinson Duckworth and Elizabeth Forbes Nicol (1803-1868) (daughter of William Nicol, M.D.). He attended the Royal Institution School, Liverpool, and Liverpool College. Duckworth matriculated 19 March 1853 and was elected to an open scholarship at University College, Oxford. He attained a first class Classics BA in 1857 and was Assistant Master at Marlborough from 1857 to 1860. He achieved an MA 1859 and was fellow at Trinity from 1860 to 1876 (tutor until 1866). He was made examining Chaplain to Bishop of Peterborough in 1864. In 1867, at the special request of Queen Victoria, he was made tutor to HRH the Duke of Albany (Prince Leopold) and was the Prince's Governor from 1867-70. He was Vicar of St. Mark's, Hamilton Terrace, London 1870-1906, Chaplain in Ordinary to Queen Victoria, 1870-90, and to the Prince of Wales, 1875-1901. He accompanied the Prince of Wales on his tour through India 1875-76. He was Sub-Dean and Canon of Westminster (appointed to the later position in 1875). He obtained a BD and DD 1879. Duckworth was Rural Dean of St. Marylebone from 1891 to 1905. He was select Preacher at Cambridge in 1906 and made Chaplain in Ordinary to the King in 1910. He was buried near the entrance to the choir, Westminster Abbey. [Sources: Foster, J. Oxford Men & their Colleges, 1893; Pratt, A.T.C. People of the Period, 1897; Men of the Time: a dictionary.., 1897; Men and Women of the Time, 1899; Schaff, P. and S. M. Jackson Encyclopedia of Living Divines, 1887; Who Was Who 1897-1916, 1920]

Henry Thomas Forbes Duckworth, academic, was born 29 November 1868 at Grassendale, Lancashire, England, and died in 1927 in Rouen, Seine-Maritime, France. He was the son of Henry Duckworth (1836-19--) and Mary Bennett of Chester, England (1939-1916) and the grandson of Robinson Duckworth and Elizabeth Forbes Nicol. He attended Birkenhead school and matriculated 22 October 1887 at Merton College Oxford. He obtained his BA, a double first-class honour degree (Classics in 1891, Theology in 1892), was made deacon in 1893, and priest in 1894. He was curate of Witton, Northwich, from 1893 to 1896 and chaplain at Nicosia, Cyprus from 1896 to 1901 (enquiring into the liturgy, worship, and doctrines of the Eastern Church). As a representative of the Eastern Church Association in Cyprus, Duckworth spent his time studying the history of the Cypriot church. He authored Greek Manuals of Church Doctrine (1901), The Church of Cyprus (1901), and Pages of Levantine History (1906). He was English Chaplain at Cairo, Egypt, in 1901 but moved to Toronto and became Professor of Divinity at Trinity College. He held that post until 1907, was Lecturer and Professor of Classics from 1904 to 1927 (Greek in 1907 and Ancient History from 1912 until his death) and Dean of Residence from 1903 to 1914. In 1914, the position of Dean of Arts was created and he held that post until 1923. He married Hope Holland Hunt in 1908 [Sources: Foster, J. Oxford Men 1880-1892, 1893; Morgan Canadian Men and Women of the Time, 1912; Reed, T. A. The History of Trinity College, Toronto 1852-1952; The Clergy List, 1914]

Hope Holland Hunt Duckworth, was born 17 December 1884 in Brantford, Ontario, and died 28 August 1966. She was the daughter of Wellington Hunt (1838-1903) and Eliza Jane Craig (1851-1920). She attended the Ontario Ladies College, Whitby, and entered Trinity College, Toronto, in 1905. She graduated with a BA (Specialist) in 1908 and married Henry Thomas Forbes Duckworth in September of that year. She was Treasurer of the Women's Historical Society, Toronto in 1917. From 1918 to 1924 the Duckworths lived on Crawford Street and students of Trinity College boarded with them when necessary. After her husband’s death in 1927, Hope travelled back and forth to Cyprus. She is buried in the British cemetery in Kyrenia, Cyprus.
[Sources: Reed, T.A. A History of Trinity, College, Toronto 1852-1952; Trinity College Directory of Graduates and Alumni; Wellington Hunt,]

Cartwright and Wood Families

  • F2182
  • Family
  • 1806-

The Cartwrights were a prominent Upper Canadian Loyalist family, living in the Kingston area and later in York (Toronto). The Hon. Richard Cartwright Jr. (1759-1815) had twin sons, Robert David Cartwright (1804-1843), an Anglican minister, and John Solomon Cartwright (1804-1845), a Kingston lawyer who became involved in banking, real estate, and politics. The youngest of John Solomon Cartwright’s children was John Robison Cartwright (1842-1919), a lawyer who became deputy attorney general of Ontario.

In June 1868, John Robison Cartwright married Emily Boulton (1845-1920), in Cobourg, Ontario. Emily’s grandfather, D’Arcy Edward Boulton (1785-1846) had built The Grange in Toronto as his family home. Her father D’Arcy Edward Boulton (1814-1902) and mother Emily Mary Caroline Heath married in 1838 and raised their ten children at their home, known as The Lawn, in Cobourg. D’Arcy was a lawyer active in town affairs, serving as mayor of Cobourg from 1854 to 1857. John Robison Cartwright and Emily Boulton Cartwright had six children: Mabel (1869-1955), John Macaulay Boulton (1872- 1877), Stephen Hayter (1875-1909), Ralph Bingham (1877-1899), Edwin Aubrey (1879-1951), and Winifred Macaulay (1883-1953).

Their first child, Mabel Cartwright, was born in Kingston, Ontario, in 1869. She grew up in Toronto and later went to England where she was educated at Cheltenham Ladies’ College and Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University. Mabel earned honours in the School of Modern History, taught in Oxford High School and, upon her return to Toronto, at Bishop Strachan School for four years. In 1903 she was appointed the second Lady Principal and in 1925 Dean of Women at St. Hilda’s residence, Trinity College. She taught English at Trinity College until her retirement in 1936. In 1925 she was granted a Doctor of Laws (honoris causa) by the University of Toronto. Through the years she held numerous posts including that of resident of the Women's Auxiliary of the Diocese of Toronto.

After Mabel Cartwright’s retirement from St. Hilda’s, she lived at 32 Prince Arthur Avenue in Toronto with her invalid sister Winifred and her friend and former student, (Hilda) Fern Wood until her death in 1955. Born in Orillia, the daughter of Edward A. Wood and Sarah Weafer Wood, Fern Wood (1889-1962) was the executor of Miss Cartwright’s estate.

Plowman Family

  • Family

Mr. Charles (Chas) Plowman and Samuel Plowman were born in Northampton, England in 1853 and 1858. Their Toronto business, The Plowman Brothers, was either a grocery store, a confectionery, or a fruit market. Charles married Ellen Anderton in Toronto while Samuel remained unmarried. Charles and Ellen had three children but only Ella Olive Alberta, born 3 September 1882, survived childhood. Olive Plowman married Francis McCann in 1920.

Ross Family

  • Family

Ralph Ross, BA 1887, BPaed 1908, and his son:
-William Wrighton Eustace Ross, BA 1915 (University College); studentship (half-year), Department of Physics under E. F. Burton, 1919; studentship, 1921-1922 (resigned).

David Lowrey, MB 1879, and his children:
-Mary Evelyn Lowrey, BA 1912 (University College)
-Bertram David Lowrey, MB 1914
-Roy Cathey Lowrey, MB 1905

Rankin Family

  • Family

-Garnet Rankin: Born Perth County, Ontario, 7 December 1887; BASc 1915. Died 23 November 1963
-Roy William Rankin: Born Chicago, Illinois, 9 October 1894; Arts (University College), 1911-1913, MB 1918; died 12 May 1975

Results 1 to 50 of 80