Showing 4899 results

People and organizations

Riggins, Stephen Harold

  • Person
  • 1946-

Stephen Harold Riggins was born in 1946 in Loogootee, Indiana, to parents Harold and Eithel Riggins. Riggins completed his Bachelor of Arts Degree in Sociology in 1968, and his Masters of Arts in Sociology in 1971, both from Indiana University. He obtained his PhD in Sociology in 1980 from the University of Toronto. His thesis was entitled "Institutional Change in Nineteenth-Century French Music". Dr. Riggins has taught courses at Sociology departments of various universities, including the University of Toronto from 1981 to 1982 and 1989 to 1990, at Laurentian University from 1982 to 1985 and at the University of Alberta in Edmonton from 1986 to 1989. In 1990 he accepted a teaching position at Memorial University in St. John’s, Newfoundland, where he taught as an Associate Professor in the department of Sociology. Dr. Riggins retired from teaching in 2015.

Stephen Riggins is a member of various professional associations, including the Canadian Sociology and Anthropology Association, Canadian Society for Asian Studies, American Sociological Association, Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction, and the Indiana Historical Society. He has participated as an organizer and participant in various conferences including the Canadian Sociology and Anthropology Association's annual meetings. His teaching interests include mass communication and public opinion, sociology of the arts and popular culture, and sociology of families and deviance. His research interests include ethnicity and mass media, symbolic interactionism, contemporary French cultural policy and democratization of culture.

Dr. Riggins has published numerous articles, as well as books, including Ethnic Minority Media: An International Perspective (1992), The Socialness of Things: Essays on the Socio-semiotics of Objects (1994), The Language and Politics of Exclusion: Others in Discourse (1997), and The Pleasures of Time: Two Men, A Life (2003). He has been with his partner, Paul Bouissac, for over 50 years and presently divides his time between St. John's and Toronto.

Buller, Herman

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/316885432
  • Person
  • 1927-

Author of One Man Alone, Days of Rage and Quebec in Revolt: the Guibord Affair.

Hart House Art Committee

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/140659195
  • Corporate body
  • 1919-

The Hart House Art Committee was founded in 1919 by Vincent Massey. The Committee is responsible for the management of the permanent collection at Hart House, which began in 1922 with the purchase of the painting Georgian Bay, November, by A. Y. Jackson. The Hart House Art Committee is comprised of students, faculty, artists, and contemporary art enthusiasts, who host events, organize studio tours, curate programming, and acquire new artwork.

Dreadnaught Press

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/144145541814796601946
  • Corporate body
  • 1972-1987

Dreadnaught Press was a Toronto printing collective and publisher. Dreadnaught Press was established in the mid 1970s with the intention of publishing poetry and excerpted literature using traditional fine press printing techniques. It was founded by Robert Macdonald, Elizabeth Abraham, Deborah Barnett, Ross MacDonald, and David Jang, and was the first incorporated worker co-operative in Canada. The press took its name from Dreadnaught, a short-lived underground paper started by Robert Macdonald in the early 1970s.

The collective set up a working pressroom at 24 Sussex Ave., near the University of Toronto campus, where they composed, designed, typeset, and hand-printed materials using traditional letterpress equipment. Dreadnaught Press published the works of many Canadian poets and writers, including Margaret Atwood, A.F. Moritz, Marshall McLuhan, Susan Musgrave, and Jack Hannan, and worked with numerous designers, artists, editors, typesetters, and illustrators. Dreadnaught Press was part of a vibrant local printing community that developed in the Annex neighbourhood of Toronto in the 1970s, including neighbouring publishers Coach House Press and House of Anansi. In addition to their own projects, the collective completed commissioned design, typographic and printing work for a range of commercial clients.

Dreadnaught Press briefly expanded with a second shop (NovaDreadnaught) and handmade paper operation in Nova Scotia in the early 1980s, before disbanding altogether as founding members moved on to other endeavours. In the late 1980s, Deborah Barnett relaunched Dreadnaught as Dreadnaught Design, a design and communication firm that shifted away from hand-printing operations and focused on commercial work.

Barnett, Deborah

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/106023624
  • Person
  • 1953-

Deborah Barnett (born December 15, 1953) is a Canadian creative director, fine press printer, and graphic designer based in Toronto.

She attended high school at Central Technical School in Toronto and was accepted into the school’s art program, where she took an interest in sculpture and drawing. Shortly after graduating, she became a founding member of Dreadnaught Press, working first as an apprentice, and later as an art director. The fine press printing collective was well-known in the Canadian literary and publishing community, and served as a space for Deborah to hone her print, design, and typography skills.

After Dreadnaught Press disbanded in the mid 1980s, she started her own commercial design studio under the name Dreadnaught Design. During this time, she also lectured at the Banff Publishing Workshop in Alberta, teaching design, art direction, and colour theory. In the early 2000s, she worked as a creative director in the corporate sector. In 2001, she closed Dreadnaught Design to open Someone.ca. She returned to fine press printing in 2010. In 2015, she launched Someone Editions, a specialty letterpress imprint in the spirit of Dreadnaught Press, alongside editor and poet Beatriz Hausner.

In 2018, Deborah became the Master Printer at Kelly Library at St. Michael’s College. In this role, she taught printing and typesetting workshops, and led production of a series of limited edition chapbooks for the Kelly Library Print Studio. In 2021, she earned a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Interdisciplinary Art, Media, and Design (IAMD) from OCAD University.

Victoria Women's Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1897-

In 1892, when Victoria University moved to Toronto, there were fourteen women students, seven of whom needed help finding proper accommodations. Aware of the difficulties faced by the women, Margaret Proctor Burwash, wife of Vic's Chancellor-President and a former teacher, and Margaret Addison, Vic 1889, began discussing the need for a residence in 1895. Lillian Massey also shared their concerns and had convinced her father, the businessman and philanthropist Hart Massey, Vic 1844, to reserve $50,000 of the $200, 000 he left in his will to Victoria for a women's residence. In 1897, Margaret Burwash and a few influential women met in the Vic chapel with the General Superintendent of the Methodist Church Conference Dr. Carman, Chancellor Burwash, members of the Vic staff and the Board of Regents. The result was the formation of the Barbara Heck Memorial Association. The Chancellor's wife became president and Margaret Hopkins Cox, wife of Vic's treasurer Senator George Cox, became treasurer. The Association was sanctioned by the Board of Regents which authorized it to raise money.

The main mission of the Association was to build a residence for women students, to honour United Empire Loyalist pioneer Barbara Heck "the Mother of Methodism in America" by naming the residence after her, and to celebrate Queen Victoria's Jubilee, by the advancement of "the future queens of the homes of our Church and land." They also encouraged the formation of the Victoria Alumnae Association in 1898 believing the Vic women grads could assist with fundraising.

In 1902 the corner stone was laid for the first residence for women - Annesley Hall. It was built with significant contribution of the fundraising efforts of the Association. Margaret Addison because the first Dean of Residence when the building opened in 1903.

The Barbara Heck Memorial Association changed its name to the Victoria Women's Residence and Educational Association in 1901 [1], and became the Victoria Women's Association in 1912. It began to attract additional members that included Vic alumnae, wives of professors, and women from Methodist churches who believed in the cause.

The Association also worked to renovate and furnish other residences for women, and also formed a boarding house committee to inspect and recommend rooms off campus. They also furnished a parlour for the women students who commuted to the Vic campus in 1912 and in 1930 created a women's staff room, both in the College building.

In 1925, VWA member Agnes Euphemia (Pheme) Wood convinced her husband Edward Rogers Wood to donate their home at 84 Queen's Park, Wymilwood, to Victoria for a women's residence and student centre.

Other activities and projects of the VWA included events to help with Church Union (formation the United Church of Canada) including an event held over 3 days with over 1000 guests from the three Toronto presbyteries. The VWA also became a member of the local Council of Women, helped with the war effort by working for the University Hospital Supply Committee, donated to the Armenian relief in 1922; and joined the League of Nations in 1925, among other activities.

The executive arm of the VWA was the Committee of Management which operated from 1902 until 1932. It had eighteen members, nominated by the VWA and approved by the Board of Regents. Margaret Burwash (1902-13), Mrs. R. N. (Mary Jane Crossen) Burns (1913-30), and Mrs. A. E. (Florence Warner) Lang (1930-32) served as Presidents. The Committee was responsible for Annesley's furnishings and equipment and for its administration. In 1932, the Board of Regents hired a warden to take over the administration of residences from the Committee of Management and the Committee merged into the Women's Council.

No longer involved with the administration of the residences and the student centre, except in an advisory capacity, the VWA found a new role for itself as a link between Victoria and the parents of the students. Therefore, in 1933 the VWA decided to invite the mothers of first-year students to join the organization. The VWA expanded its membership base in 1965 by inviting men to become part of the Association

In contemporary times, the VWA continues to act as a liaison between Victoria and the alumni, friends and relatives of past and present students, and members of the public by hosting events such as lectures, luncheons, as well as raising money for Vic students in financial need, primarily with the Bursary Fund.

Until 1964, the presidents of the VWA were the wives of Victoria University administrators. Marguerite Fidler was the first president not connected to the administration.

List of Presidents :
Margaret Burwash, 1897-1912
Julia Graham, 1912-1913
Margaret Addison, 1921-1933
Maud Brown, 1933-1949
Ethel Bennett, 1949-1958
Helen Frye, 1958-1964
Marguerite Fidler, 1964-1966
Ruth Fallis, 1966-1968
Dorothy Crummey, 1968-1971
Alice Jackson, 1971-1974
Ruth Hodgetts, 1974-1975
Susie Eggert, 1975-1978
Doris Stokes, 1978-1980
Audrey McCullough, 1980-1982, 1999-2000
Joan Breukelman, 1982-1985, 1999-2000
Audrey Chapple, 1985-1988
Joyce Clarke, 1988-1991
Margaret Roots, 1991-1994
Marian Gibson, 1994-1999
Anne Sinclair, 2000-2004
Diane Dyer, 2004-

Kontos, Alkis

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/115270895
  • Person
  • 1937-

Snider, Bob

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/31740011
  • Person
  • 1946-

Sandman, John

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/67706726
  • Person

Dyke, Doris Jean

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/38591035
  • Person
  • 1930-2021

Doris Jean Dyke, born Doris Jean Scott, near Toronto, was a prominent member of the Emmanuel College faculty, and a noted academic figure in the areas of feminist theology and education. Her first career was as a teacher in Ontario. In 1959, she graduated with a B.A. from Queen’s University, and later received a B.Ed. (1961) and M.Ed. (1963) from University of Toronto, as well as a M.A. (1962) and Ed.D. (1967) from Columbia University and Union Theological Seminary, New York.

Her academic career began at University of Saskatchewan in 1964 and was followed by appointments at various institutions in Western Canada, University of Louisville in Kentucky, and Dalhousie University in Halifax, where she was Professor and Dean of Education, 1973–1977. Ms. Dyke’s tenure at Emmanuel College began in 1977, where she was a Professor until her retirement in 1995, also serving as Director of Master of Religious Education (M.R.E.), 1977–1990.

As Professor Emeritus she went on to teach courses in gerontology and ministry at Emmanuel College, and at Vancouver School of Theology, UBC. Throughout her career, she contributed articles and reviews for academic publications, authored the book “Crucified Woman,” lectured widely, and served many organizations and committees, including acting as President of Canadian Theological Society, 1994–1995.

Dr. Dyke passed away October 8, 2021 in Toronto.

Chambers, John Kenneth (Jack)

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/24687769
  • Person
  • 1938-

John Kenneth (Jack) Chambers was born in Grimsby, Ontario July 12, 1938. He received his undergraduate university education at the University of Windsor (B.A. Honours English, 1961) and his M.A. in English from Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario in 1962. After just one term at the University of Minnesota, where he took his first linguistics course while enrolled in their Ph.D. programme in English, he returned to Canada. Following graduation he received a Diploma in Education and taught at high schools in London and East Elgin, Ontario. In 1967 he entered the Ph.D. programme in General Linguistics at the University of Alberta where he completed a thesis on “Focused Noun Phrases in English Syntax” in 1970. In July 1970 he accepted an appointment as Assistant Professor of Linguistics in the Centre for Linguistic Studies at the University of Toronto. He chose U. of T. over offers from Carleton University and the University of Minnesota. The Centre for Linguistic Studies had a graduate programme and he, along with Ed Burstynsky, were the only other Canadian-born linguists on staff. The Centre, which had been established in 1966, became the Department of Linguistic Studies in 1974. He was promoted to Associate Professor in 1976, and to full Professor July 1, 1982. In 2005 he was appointed Professor Emeritus and in 2012 was recognized for 40 years of service.

At the University of Toronto Prof. Chambers has been actively involved in administrative, academic and research activities. He has participated in many departmental committees dealing with curriculum, admissions, promotions and tenure, as well as chair of the Visiting Lectures committee and 30th anniversary celebrations with Keren Rice. From 1986 to 1999 he was Chair of the Department, and acting Chair for six months in 2006. At the University level he was member of many search committees for departments and divisions at Scarborough and Mississauga campuses.

Prof. Chambers was the Centre’s first syntax professor and a proponent of generative semantics. The model fell out of favour in the discipline with the theoretical shift toward Noam Chomsky’s EST model. Since he was not interested in Chomsky’s model, Prof. Chambers began nurturing an interest in sociolinguistics and dialectology. It was during this time that he taught the ‘first-ever course’ in Canadian English. He has (and continues) to teach courses in linguistics and related disciplines such as sociology, anthropology and Canadian English. From 1999 to 2001 he taught the course Jazz Century (HUM199Y). A popular teacher, he received the Faculty of Arts and Science Outstanding Teacher Award in 1999. He also held many appointments as Visiting Professor at universities in England, Europe, South Africa, Hong Kong, New Zealand and the United States between 1990 and 2007. In 2008 he was visiting professor at University of Cape Town, South Africa and in 2011 Lansdowne Fellow in Linguistics at the University of Victoria. In 2012 he was named/served as CRiLLS Distinguished Professor at Newcastle University in the U.K.

Since the mid 1960s, Prof. Chambers has published extensively in the field of linguistics, with more than 200 articles and reviews, as well as 9 books either as editor, co-author or sole author. He has also been editor (and interim editor) of The Canadian Journal of Linguistics/La Revue canadienne de linguistique (volumes 19, 24 to 28). A major research project since 1990 has been the Dialect Topography project since “Canada was one of the few nations in the world without a databank or linguistic survey of accents and dialects.” In 2008, he was honoured for his contributions to the discipline through the publication of All the Things You Are: A Festschrift in honour of Jack Chambers (Toronto Working Papers in Linguistics 27). In 2010, he was awarded the first National Achievement Award by the Canadian Linguistic Association for his outstanding contributions to the field of linguistics in general and to Canadian linguistics in particular. In the same year he was named a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.

During his career with the University of Toronto, Prof. Chambers has also actively pursued his other ‘avocation’, jazz. His jazz writing predates his work in linguistics, having published his first article in 1963. This has been manifested in the course mentioned above, and in numerous published articles and several books on prominent figures in the history of jazz such as Miles Davis, and Richard Twardzik. He also is a frequent contributor to Coda magazine. When asked in 2005 about the connection between language and music he stated

Both have syntax and phonology, and if I am good at talking about them it is because I can use the same analytic skills on both. Linguistic structure is, of course, hard-wired and irrepressibly human. Musical structure is not hard-wired but learned, and learned with great effort for the greatest practitioners. But it is also uniquely human, and I suspect that it takes its form by spinning off our language faculty, like a kind of satellite. And jazz is especially language-like, because musicians use the syntax and phonology to construct motifs (phrases and sentences) and melodies (discourses) that no one has ever heard before, and they do it spontaneously, just as speakers do in ordinary conversation, except that at its very best it is more like a poem than like ordinary conversation. And how they do it, no one knows. Every three-year-old can do that with language. But only the most gifted musicians can do it in music.

Another specialized area for Prof. Chambers that has evolved from his academic work in linguistics has been forensic linguistics and consulting, an activity dating to the early 1970s. One of the earliest cases involved his role as expert witness on the language of pornography at obscenity trials in 1973. Since then he has testified and/or consulted on dozens of criminal and civil court cases. In addition he has prepared numerous affidavits relating to cases under the Trade Marks Act for companies such as Coca Cola.

Prof. Chambers continues to live and work in Toronto.

Howarth, Thomas

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/36227056
  • Person
  • 1914-2000

Thomas Howarth, professor, architectural historian, collector (born in England 1914, died at Toronto 21 July 2000). Howarth reawakened interest in the great Scottish architect, Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928), through articles, a comprehensive monograph, exhibitions, and lifelong advocacy and collecting. A prescient collector of Mackintosh's work, Howarth amassed a huge and varied collection.

Howarth studied architecture at the University of Manchester in the UK and earned a doctorate from Scotland's University of Glasgow. Mackintosh was the subject of his PhD work. Although Mackintosh's premier work, the still-extant Glasgow School of Art (1896-1909), has been described as "the only art school in the world where the building is worthy of the subject," Mackintosh's best works were completed before 1910 and by his death in 1928 his reputation had markedly declined. Howarth, a born collector, began to amass what would eventually become the world's largest private collection of the architect's work. He published articles on Mackintosh during the 1940s and in 1952 a monograph on the architect: "Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Modern Movement", with a second edition in 1977.

In 1958 Howarth immigrated to Canada and taught at the University of Toronto's school of architecture until 1974, when he retired as dean of the faculty of architecture. As well as continuing to pursue his lifelong interest in Mackintosh, Howarth published articles and gave lectures on urban design, architectural education, and Renaissance, Modern, and Canadian architecture. He served as a campus planner for Laurentian University and Glendon College, both in Ontario. Howarth also collected the work of other modern architects and designers, notably Frank Lloyd Wright and Charles Eames.

A posthumous donation endowed the Howarth-Wright Scholarship at the University of Toronto, which enables students to study at Taliesen West, Frank Lloyd Wright's western studio.

Jones, L.E.

  • Person
  • 1910-1999

L.E. "Ted" Jones was born in Montreal in 1910. After the First World War, his family settled in Transcona, a suburb of Winnipeg. He completed a B.Sc. in 1931 at the University of Manitoba and graduated as a gold medallist in civil engineering. The following year he moved to Toronto to undertake graduate work in open channel hydraulics at the University of Toronto. After completing his MASc and PhD degrees, he joined the department of applied physics and subsequently the department of mechanical engineering in 1944.

Professor Jones was associated with the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering for approximately seventy years. Over his career, he instructed students in fluid mechanics and hydraulic engineering, metrology and numerical analysis. His research was primarily focused on open channel hydraulics – the science of water flow in channels like rivers and canals. Jones also undertook consulting work in the area of hydraulics. In addition to his research and teaching activities, he also served as an unofficial ombudsman to students and was famous for his lectures on the use of the slide rule as well as his annual address on dress and deportment, which was delivered before the graduation ball.

Professor Jones retired from the University in 1972. He was appointed Professor Emeritus in 1975. Prior to his retirement, and as a consequence of his deep interest in the Faculty’s history, he was appointed Engineering Archivist by Professor James Ham, then Dean, a role he continued to hold until his death.

Professor Jones was a man of many interests. Starting from his early years at the University until after his retirement, he sang with the Hart House Glee Club. It was through his singing, while working on a University production of a Gilbert and Sullivan opera that he met his wife Dorothy, whom he married in 1938. He also was actively involved in his church, St. George’s on-the-Hill in Etobicoke, wrote poetry, was a calligrapher who hand-lettered citations and awards bestowed by the University and an avid photographer who recorded notable events. L.E. Jones maintained his connection to the University and pursued many of these activities until his death in 1999.

Wolfe, David A.

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/6100427
  • Person

David A. Wolfe is a Professor of Political Science at the University of Toronto Mississauga and Co-Director of the Innovation Policy Lab at the Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy at the University of Toronto. His research interests include the political economy of technological change and the role of local and regional economic development, with special reference to Canada and Ontario.

He holds a B.A. and an M.A. in Political Science from Carleton University and a Ph.D. from the University of Toronto. He served as Executive Coordinator for Economic and Labour Policy in the Cabinet Office of the Government of Ontario from October 1990 to August 1993. Upon his return to the University of Toronto from 1993 until 1997, he was a research associate in the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research’s Program on Law and the Determinants of Social Ordering.

Professor Wolfe was the Royal Bank Chair in Public and Economic Policy from 2009 to 2014. Since 2014, he is the lead investigator on the Creating Digital Opportunity Partnership (CDO) the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)-funded project to study how Canada can best respond to the challenges posed by a rapidly changing digital landscape, while benefiting from emerging opportunities to promote our economic prosperity. From 1999 to 2011 he was national coordinator of the Innovation Systems Research Network (ISRN), funded by SSHRC and was principal investigator on two Major Collaborative Research Initiatives, the first on Innovation Systems and Economic Development: The Role of Local and Regional Clusters in Canada, followed by a six year study on the Social Dynamics of Economic Performance: Innovation and Creativity in City Regions which ended in 2011.

He is the editor or co-editor of ten books and numerous scholarly articles, focusing mostly on regional and national politics.

He has acted as an advisor to the Royal Commission on the Economic Union and Development Prospects for Canada, the Ontario Premier’s Council, the E-Business Opportunities Roundtable and the Electronic Commerce Task Force of Industry Canada, the National Research Council, the LEED Program of the OECD, the Ontario Panel on the Role of Government, the Ontario Research and Innovation Council, DG Region of the European Commission, and the Toronto Region Research Alliance. He was the CIBC Scholar-in-Residence for the Conference Board of Canada in 2008-2009 and published a book for the Conference Board, entitled 21st Century Cities in Canada: The Geography of Innovation.

Frye, Helen Kemp

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/61709548
  • Person
  • 1910-1986

Helen Kemp Frye was an educator, editor and artist. She was born in Toronto, Ontario, the daughter of Stanley and Gertrude Kemp. In 1937 she married Northrop Frye. She died in Australia while accompanying her husband on a lecture tour.

Helen Kemp Frye was educated at Riverdale Collegiate, Toronto and studied piano and musical theory at the Hambourg Conservatory of Music, Toronto. In 1929 she enrolled in the Pass Course at Victoria College, Toronto, where she received her Bachelor of Arts degree in 1933. Upon graduating she was offered a position in the education department at the Art Gallery of Toronto by Arthur Lismer, who was a personal friend of her father, a commercial artist. She spent one year at the National Gallery in Ottawa and a year studying at the Courtauld Institute of Art in London, England. Upon her return to Toronto she continued to work at the Gallery, conducting study groups, sending out loan exhibitions, and organizing lectures and concerts. In the late Thirties she worked as a contributing editor and then as art editor for Canadian Forum. From 1943 until 1946 the Toronto Star Weekly employed her as a reprint editor. She devoted much of her spare time to committee work at Victoria College and later, when Northrop Frye became College Principal, took charge of various women’s organizations at the College.

Moritz, Albert Frank

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/3674427
  • Person
  • 1947-

Albert Frank (A.F.) Moritz is a poet who has published numerous acclaimed collections and contributed to many anthologies and periodicals. He was born in Niles, Ohio in 1947. His father was a teacher and later a professor of biology and science education; his mother was a grade school teacher. In 1969 he received a B.A. in Journalism from Marquette University, and he later earned an M.A. and Ph.D (English) from that institution. He came to Canada in 1974 with his wife Theresa (Carrothers) and son Blaise (born 1971). Since arriving in Toronto Moritz has worked in a number of occupations, including advertising copywriter and executive, editor and publisher (Watershed Books), and has held various university teaching positions. Through the years he has won distinguished awards for his poetry, including a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1990, Selection to the Princeton Series of Contemporary Poets in 1984, and the Griffin Poetry Prize for his work Sentinel in 2009. In 2019 he was selected to be Toronto's sixth Poet Laureate.

Colgrass, Michael

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/22984972
  • Person
  • 1932-2019

Michael Colgrass was a composer and percussionist, born April 22, 1932 in Brookfield, Illinois, died July 2, 2019 in Toronto, Ontario. He began his musical career in Chicago as a jazz drummer (1944-1949) and graduated from the University of Illinois in 1954 with a Bachelor of Music degree in performance and composition. His teachers included Darius Milhaud at the Aspen Festival and Lukas Foss at Tanglewood.

After graduation, he was a timpanist with the Seventh Army Symphony Orchestra in Stuttgart, Germany, and then a free-lance percussionist in New York City (1956-1966), performing with the New York Philharmonic, American Ballet Theater, Dizzy Gillespie, the Modern Jazz Quartet, the original West Side Story orchestra on Broadway, the Columbia Recording Orchestra’s Stravinsky Conducts Stravinsky series, and numerous ballet, opera and jazz ensembles. While in New York, he continued to study percussion with Wallingford Riegger (1958) and Ben Weber (1958-60).

He began to compose full-time in 1967 and moved to Toronto in 1974.

Colgrass received many commissions throughout his career from the New York Philharmonic, the Boston Symphony, the orchestras of Minnesota, Detroit, San Francisco, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Washington, Toronto, the National Arts Centre Orchestra, The Canadian Broadcast Corporation, The Lincoln Center Chamber Music Society, the Manhattan and Muir String Quartets, The Brighton Festival in England, The Fromm and Ford Foundations, The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and numerous other orchestras, chamber groups, choral groups and soloists.

In 1978, he won the Pulitzer Prize for Music for Déjà vu, which was commissioned and premiered by the New York Philharmonic. He received an Emmy Award in 1982 for a PBS documentary “Soundings: The Music of Michael Colgrass.” He has been awarded two Guggenheim Fellowships, A Rockefeller Grant, First Prize in the Barlow and Sudler International Wind Ensemble Competitions, and the 1988 Jules Leger Prize for Chamber Music.

As an author, Colgrass wrote My Lessons With Kumi, a narrative/exercise book, outlining his techniques for performance and creativity, and MICHAEL COLGRASS: Adventures of an American Composer (2010).

Arlidge, Joseph Churchill

  • Local
  • Person
  • 1849-1913

J. (Joseph) Churchill Arlidge, flutist, organist, teacher, and composer, was born in Stratford-on-Avon, England on March 17, 1849, and died in Toronto, Ontario on January 22, 1913. Arlidge studied flute with Benjamin Wells and Antonio Minasi, and made his debut in 1860 at the Crystal Palace in a concert given by Sir Julius Benedict. He continued to perform in London and studied with Robert Sidney Pratten (flute) and James Coward (piano and organ), before leaving London for Belgium in 1864 where he studied for two years with Jacques-Nicholas Lemmens (piano and organ). In 1874, he visited America and appeared as a solo flutist in Gilmore's 22nd New York Regiment Band. In late 1874 he moved to Toronto, where he married Olivia Mary Arlidge.

In Toronto, Arlidge performed as a solo flutist with F.H. Torrington, was the first organist and choirmaster at Toronto's Carlton Street Methodist Church, and taught. In late 1875, he returned to England for a teaching position, but permanently settled with his family in the Toronto area in 1885, participating in the First Toronto Musical Festival held the following year. He served as organist and choirmaster at the Carlton Street Methodist Church, as well as Christ Church Deer Park, Bonar Presbyterian, and St. John the Evangelist. He also continued to appear as a flutist with the Toronto Philharmonic Society, and provided accompaniment for singers, including Emma Caldwell, Lilli Lehmann and Emma Albani. In the late 1880s, he established the Toronto Flute Quartet with his students N. Lubraico, D. Glionna and Herbert Lye. Other students included Arthur Semple, Harold Wallace, and Oliver Foote.

Arlidge also taught music at the Toronto College of Music and the Toronto Conservatory of Music, and in 1902, established his own school the Toronto Academy of Music, following controversy with Torrington and Edward Fisher regarding the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (1899). Arlidge was also a composer, although most of his compositions remain unpublished.

In the Toronto community, Arlidge was also involved with the YMCA, the Independent Order of Foresters (IOF), was a member of the St. Andrews Masonic Lodge and the Saint George's Society. He was also a member of the newly-formed Canadian Guild of Organists.

Black (Davidson) Family

  • Family
  • 1838-

This section is under review for historical accuracy. Please check back for an updated version
The Davidson Black’s family history in Canada begins in 1840 when it arrived in Montreal, settling later in the Whitby area in Canada West. The patriarch’s son, the first Davidson Black, was born in England in 1825. He graduated from University College in the University of Toronto with a BA in 1867, even though the only recorded information of his attendance is that he took a third year civil polity (pass) course in 1865-1866. In 1869 he was admitted as a student-at-law to Osgoode Hall. He was sworn in as an attorney on 23 November 1871 and was called to the bar in 1872. Soon thereafter Davidson set up shop at 17 Toronto Street with two younger lawyers who had been fellow students at University College, Thomas Dawson Delamere and Henry Arthur Reesor; the firm was called Delamere, Black and Reesor. Thomas Delamere was the eldest son of a family of four boys and two girls that had emigrated from Ireland to Toronto in 1852. His youngest sister, Margaret Bowes (born in 1850), an organist, was a beauty who caught the eye of Davidson. He proposed to her in October 1878 and she accepted. Her mother and Tom’s approval was muted, but brothers Harry and Joe were enthusiastic. Davidson and Margaret married at end of December 1879 and settled in Toronto where their two sons were born, Redmond in 1880 and Davidson William on 25 July 1884.

This ordered family life was disrupted on 12 July 1886 when Davidson dropped dead of a heart attack at the age of 61. Margaret resolved to be independent and refused to move in with any members of her family. But, knowing she would have to find employment, she accepted Tom’s help in getting a position in Osgoode Hall. She moved her boys into a smaller house at 3 Anderson Street and got on with life. She never remarried. Over the years she and Davidson established a close bond of understanding that is revealed in his voluminous letters to her; his first letters home are dated 1891. In March 1907, with her boys having left home (Redmond to become a banker) Margaret moved to 46 Avenue Road and a few years later to 52 Avenue Road where she resided for the rest of her life. In February 1913 she changed her surname officially to Davidson-Black. In July 1922, she was struck by a car after alighting from a streetcar and fractured her skull. It was the fourth accident she had suffered in recent years. In March 1923, she wrote to Davidson that she had done every job at Osgoode Hall and would like any position that would give her enough money to live on and a pension after 37 years of service there. She died of a stroke in Toronto on 14 September 1929.

Redmond Black was sometimes referred to as “Gov” by himself and his family. He worked for the Dominion Bank for most of his life, in various locations mostly in Ontario including Oshawa, Napanee, Belleville, Huntsville, Seaforth, Hespeler and Dresden. He and his wife, Grace, had three children, Redmond, Harold and Gay. Redmond enlisted and was sent to Durban, South Africa in spring 1902 as part of the Halifax contingent of the Canadian Mounted Rifles during the South African (Boer) War. In 1916 he served as a senior commanding officer in the 110th Perth County Battalion, and later as part of the 8th Canadian Reserve Battalion, St. Martin’s Plain, Shorncliffe, Kent.

Davidson William Black, who was known as “Dyo” to his family and “Kid” to his brother Redmond, never used his middle name. He attended the Model School on Gerrard Street. During his fourteenth year he was bedridden with rheumatic fever. As he entered his teens, he made frequent summer trips as a “chore boy” with his maternal uncles to Minden in the Kawartha Lakes, where he learned the importance of keeping detailed and accurate notes. He also developed an interest in ornithology, as surviving notebooks attest. He attended the Wellesley School before entering, in 1899, Harbord Collegiate Institute. At the latter he took courses in art and became a good amateur artist. As an adult, he composed small sketches of anything that interested him; many of these accompanied his correspondence. To finance his dream of taking medicine, he took summer jobs in the Huntsville and Minden areas. In October 1902, he registered as a matriculant in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, thus bypassing the matriculation examinations as he entered the four-year course in medicine at the University of Toronto. He graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine (MB) in 1906 with a pass standing. One of his fellow students, who became a good friend, was Edmund Vincent Cowdry, who later played a role in Davidson’s joining the Peking Union Medical College.

During the summer of 1906 Davidson worked at the Hudson’s Bay Company post on the Mattagami River and also served as an Ontario forest ranger in the Biscotasing area. In 1907 he acquired a miner’s licence and permission to prospect in the Temagami Forest Reserve. With the encouragement of Professor A. B. Macallum, he entered the Honour Arts programme at University College in the fall of 1906, “to widen his horizon and stimulate his powers of exploration and expression” . There he took courses in English, scientific French and German, world history and biology, and indulged in the athletic pastimes of boxing and fencing. Professor W. H. Piersol taught him “the principles and manipulations used in the preparation of material for microscopic examination” and stated he was “a terrifically hard worker”. Although his very amusing biographical sketch for the Class of 0T9 appears in the 1909 volume of Torontonensis, the undergraduate yearbook, he did not finally convocate until June 1911.

Dr. Black’s education continued in subsequent years. In June 1924 he was awarded a Master of Arts degree for his thesis, ‘The motor nuclei of the cerebral nerves in phylogeny. A study of the phenomenon of neurobiotaxis.’ In October 1927, with the upgrading of undergraduate medical degree from Bachelor of Medicine (MB), he was awarded an MD (Doctorate of Medicine).

Black spent the summer of 1909 back at Biscotasing, then headed for Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, where he had accepted a lectureship in the Department of Anatomy. While there he as much spare time as he could “visiting and working in the laboratories of famous institutions”. He was also able to study the specimens in the University’s large skeletal museum. During the summer holidays, he found employment with the Geological Survey of Canada where he acquired the “practical knowledge of structural and stratigraphical geology that subsequently amazed the geologists with whom he worked in connection with his later paleontological studies.” In the summer of 1911 he again went prospecting and on July 11 got caught in the great Porcupine fire. More than a week passed before he could wire his mother, “Am sending this for fear you have been worrying about us. We are all OK…” He had spent two nights standing in Porcupine Lake and was given government relief supplies and a free trip home.

The arrival in 1912 of T. Wingate Todd from the University of Manchester meant that Davidson was exposed to the former’s new ideas “as an interpreter of man’s relation to the anthropoids and on human evolution generally.” Early in 1913 Black was appointed Assistant Professor in the Department of Anatomy, and the first of his scientific articles appeared.

Early in the summer of 1912 Davidson visited his Delamere cousins at their summer house on Balsam Lake in the Kawartha Lakes near Coboconk. There he became reacquainted with Adena Nevitt, whom he had first met some years before at Go Home Bay. They were married in Toronto on 27 December 1913, with an old Delamere family friend, the Venerable Archdeacon Hill, officiating.

Adena (“Adna” in her student records) Sara Nevitt was the younger daughter of Dr. Richard Barrington Nevitt, an American who had been sent north for his education during the Civil War. He graduated from Trinity College in Toronto with a BA in 1871, and entered Trinity Medical School that fall. His formal medical education was interrupted by the opportunity to serve as an assistant surgeon in the original squadron of the Royal Northwest Mounted Police as it marched west from Fort Garry to Fort McLeod in 1872-1873. He then returned to Toronto to complete his medical degree at Trinity (MB 1874, MD 1882). In 1883 he was a founder of the Ontario Medical College for Women and president and dean until its merger with the University of Toronto in 1906. He was also a member of the Trinity College Corporation. All but two (Richard A. and Bertram, who was killed at Courcelette in France in 1916) of the six children of Dr. Nevitt and his wife, Elizabeth Beaty, a daughter of the co-founder of the Leader, attended university. Robert Barrington received his BA in 1900 from Trinity, and his MA in 1901, while Irving Howard entered the School of Practical Science, where he got his diploma in 1903 and his BASc in 1904. Mary Louise received her BA from Trinity in 1901. Robert became an Anglican clergyman and died in England in 1918. Irving became a sanitary engineer (died 1963), while Mary (died 1953) married the Reverend George Egerton Ryerson, who was an Anglican missionary in Japan from 1900 to 1917 before settling in England in 1923.

Adena attended Miss Veal’s School before entering Trinity College in 1901, from which she received her BA 1904. During their first year of marriage, she and Davidson were apart for several months; his vacation job was with the Geological Survey of Canada in British Columbia, while she travelled across Canada by rail to spend the summer in Japan. In the spring of 1914 Davidson took a leave of absence from Western Reserve and he and Adena travelled to England where he took a short course from Grafton Elliot Smith, his colleague Todd’s old chief at the University of Manchester. Smith had spent seven years in Egypt studying ancient skeletons and was then working on the reconstruction of the skull of the Piltdown Man. Black was fascinated by this field of work and became determined to devote his life to it. He re-directed his energy to the study of comparative anatomical material, becoming skilled at cast making, and studied the geological literature essential to his work. Black and Smith got on very well and the latter introduced him to colleagues in London, including Arthur Berridale Keith, Frederick Wood Jones and Arthur Smith Woodward. Smith also recommended him for a position at the University of Otago in New Zealand. Black also met a young Jesuit priest, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, who was interested in the Piltdown Man controversy and later took an active part in archaeological research in China.

Early in the summer of 1914 Black and Adena went to Amsterdam where, at Elliott Smith’s suggestion, Black worked under the guidance of the distinguished neurologist, Ariëns Kappers. They began a long association which was of considerable value to Black in his writings about the nervous systems in man and neuroanatomy. The Blacks remained in the city for a week after the declaration of war, then returned to London and sailed home. Black’s attempt to enlist was rebuffed because of the slight heart murmur he had had all his life. So he returned to Western Reserve where he remained until the United States declared war on Germany in April, 1917.

The Blacks then moved back to Toronto, where Davidson enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force on 27 July 1917 and was assigned to the Canadian Army Medical Corps with the rank of captain. He was attached to the Divisional Laboratory of Military District 2 from 1 September 1917 to 21 June 1918. Four days later he sailed for England where he was assigned to the CAMC Training Division at Risborough Barracks, Shorncliffe, in Kent. He remained there from 15 July to 30 August 1918, when he was given a week’s leave of absence to go to London to discuss the offer of an appointment to the Department of Anatomy at the Peking Union Medical College being established by the Rockefeller Foundation. He accepted the offer, generously backdated to June 1918 but to be taken up when he was released from military service. He then moved to the Canadian General Laboratory at Whitley Military Camp in Surrey, one of three in the Aldershot Command area established by the Canadian Army. He remained there until 2nd February 1919. Three weeks later he was back in Canada.

The following months were spent preparing for departure to China (Adena’s notes on items packed has survived). The Blacks left Toronto on 15 August by train for San Francisco, where they boarded the S.S. Ecuador for China. They arrived in Beijing on 21 September. It was there that their son, Davidson, was born on 12 March 1921, (Their daughter, Nevitt, was born on 2 October 1925.) Black familiarized himself with his surrounding by a series of local trips, especially to the Western Hills. His family also discovered Peitaiho, the popular Chinese summer holiday retreat, where they escaped the furnace-like heat of Peking in summer.

Black found his colleagues very agreeable; amongst them his old friend from university days, E. V. Cowdry, head of the Department of Anatomy at PUMC, George B. Barbour, and J. Gunnar Andersson. It was the last, with his expertise in local geology, and Black who were to lay the foundation for prehistoric research in China. Other colleagues included Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, and Dr. A. W Grabau, Professor of Palaeontology in the National University of Peking, became a mentor and from whom Black learned about a 1903 discovery of an ancient tooth, possibly that of a primitive man. In 1921 Cowdry resigned and Black replaced him. He emphasized the importance of physical anthropology as he built up his department and turned it into a well-equipped anthropological laboratory, in spite of initially finding little support in his attempt to promote anthropological research. He retained this position until his death and was admired by his Chinese colleagues for treating them with an equality that was rare at that time.

Black’s pursuit of evidence of the origins of man began almost immediately. In March 1920, he went to Kalgan, the terminus of the principal caravan route to Mongolia; this was followed in June and July by his first field expedition to investigate cave burials. His preliminary paper on the human skeletal remains in the Neolithic cave deposits at Shakoutun, was published that autumn, his first anthropological paper based on research in the field. The failure of some of his early expeditions, such as one to Jehol and the caves of the Lan River, caused him to look elsewhere; in 1923 he went to Siam as he believed man had migrated from the south. Though this trip proved fruitless, Black did not give up. He established a good working relationship with Dr. Wong Weng-hao who headed the recently formed Geological Survey of China. In 1922 he briefly joined (primarily to see Urga) the third Asiatic expedition of the American Museum of Natural History, which started in April from Kalgan for Mongolia, to study its zoology, paleontology, geology and botany and, if the press was to believed, discover the ‘Missing Link’. But it was Gunnar Andersson’s visit to in 1921 to the hills of Chou-K’ou-tien, twenty-five miles south-west of Beijing, and two years later to a spot near the local railway station, that really changed Black’s life. It was here in 1926 that Andersson’s expedition found an early Pleistocene tooth. Black was initially strongly criticized for regarding this as evidence of “Peking man”, but excavations under his direction at Chou-K’ou-tien began in 1927, with a two-year grant from the Rockefeller Foundation. They resulted in the discovery of more bone fragments and a skull by the Chinese geologists C. C. Young and W. C. Pei, and the confirmation of the validity of the genus Sinanthropus pekinensis which Black had named. His growing stature was recognized by the China Medical Board, now responsible for PUMC, the following year when it released him from teaching duties for three years from 1929 to pursue field research with what became an abortive mid-Asian expedition to Chinese Turkestan (the Swede, Sven Hedin, pulled out of an agreement and found funding for his own expedition).

In addition to their travels in Asia and within China (in addition to Siam, for example, they visited Hong Kong and Macau in 1930), the Blacks returned to Canada as often as they could. Staff at PUMC received a year’s leave every four years. Davidson took advantage of these furloughs to expand his professional experience, but some of their travels were occasioned by Davidson’s professional activities, others by the continuing civil turmoil in China. In 1923 Davidson had his first leave from PUMC; Adena arrived back in Toronto in June and he followed three months later, having escaped pirates on his journey. Adena used this opportunity to establish with Daisy and Marion Boulton of Toronto a business venture importing Chinese goods to Canada. This enterprise ran from 1924 to 1928, from which Adena made a good income. Between 1931 and 1934 she was associated with the trading firm, the Peking Temples Company.

At the end of 1923 Davidson was given a fellowship for travel and medical study in Europe, which he took advantage of to visit the leading medical authorities across Europe (his album of signed photographs is a memento of this trip). He returned to Toronto in August and the family headed back to Beijing. Adena was back in Toronto in April of 1927 with her children “owing to uprisings south of Pekin” (Davidson followed early in December). In April 1928 he attended the annual meeting of the American Association of Anatomists in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and visited old friends in Baltimore and New York. On 15 June 1928, Black and his family sailed to England. Davidson visited colleagues there and also in Europe. They returned to Toronto in August and early in October they left for China.

Back in China, in an attempt to obtain further financing, Black proposed to the Rockefeller Foundation the founding of a Cenozoic Research Laboratory to be linked to the Geological Survey of China. This would facilitate integrated field and laboratory work and extend the range of research. The Foundation agreed, provided $80,000 in funding, and Black brought V. K Ting of the Geological Survey of China in as an honorary director along with himself. The work of developing the fossils discovered at Chou-K’ou-tien “was carried out by Black himself with superb technical skill. Not only did he clean the fossils and photograph them himself, but also he made the excellent casts which have enabled workers in the rest of the world who could not see the fossils themselves, to form a very exact idea of their nature.”

In 1932 Black went on leave again, travelling overland through northern India, Afghanistan, Persia, and Iraq to Palestine and Egypt. Adena and the children went by ship to Vancouver while he sailed to Calcutta, meeting them back in Canada. He then made a quick trip to London on news that he had been elected to the Royal Society. On 8 December he delivered its Croonian Lecture, the first Canadian to do so. The family then returned to China. In June 1933 he was back in Canada to attend the Fifth Pacific Science Congress in Vancouver, where the possibility of an expedition the next year to the Yangtze with George Barbour and Teilhard de Chardin was discussed, with initial preparations being carried out in the spring of 1934.

As word of Black’s findings spread, he received many honours, the first being the Grabau Gold Medal of the Geological Survey of China (1929). This was followed in 1931 by the Daniel Giraud Eliot Medal and in 1932 he was awarded the King Gold Medal by the Peking Society of Natural History. He was made an honorary member or fellow of eight societies, including (in addition to the Royal Society) the National Academy of Sciences (Washington, DC), the Royal Anthropological Institute, and the National Institute of History and Philology, China.

Dr. Black was diagnosed with a serious heart condition in the fall of 1933 and spent a long time convalescing. A few days after he was allowed to return to work, he died in his office of a heart attack in the evening of 15 March 1934. For his obituary in Nature, G. Elliot Smith concluded, “In taking farewell of Davidson Black one regrets not only the loss of a friend of particular charm and generosity, but also the cutting short of the brilliant work in which he was engaged and which there is no one else competent to complete.”

Adena Black remained in China until the end of 1938 when she returned to Canada with Nevitt; Davy was already there. As the situation in China deteriorated, many others associated with the Peking University Medical College left as well. By the end of the 1930s, the Cenozoic Research Laboratory was a mere shell of what it had been. Adena died in Toronto at her home at 218 Cottingham Street on 4 May 1966.

Both of the Black children grew up fluent in Mandarin. Davidson was educated at the Peking American School from 1926 to 1936, except for 1932-1933 when he attended the preparatory school at Upper Canada College. From 1936 to 1940 he was at Ridley College in St. Catharines. He then spent a year at University College before entering medicine, receiving his MD from the U of T in 1946. Davidson married Lynne Sunderland (BA, Woodsworth College, 1985) on 18 January 1964. He died on 31 August 1988. Their son, Davidson (Davy) died on 15 March 2011 at the age of 42, 77 years to the day after his grandfather.

Nevitt attended the same school as her brother, beginning in 1931. Back in Toronto, she entered Bishop Strachan School before taking courses in Arts at Trinity College and in Medicine. She married John Ryerson Maybee, a native of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and a 1939 graduate of Trinity College (MA and PhD, Princeton), on 4 August 1945. He served with distinction in Canada’s diplomatic corps from 1945 to his retirement in 1978. He died in 2009, but she survives him and in 2013 is still active.

Black, Davidson [William]

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/15134166
  • Person
  • 1884-1934

Davidson Black (25 July 1884-15 March 1934) was a Canadian palaeoanthropologist, best known for his naming of Sinanthropus pekinensis (now Homo erectus pekinensis). He was a Fellow of The Royal Society.

J. Blair Seaborn

  • F2638
  • Person
  • 1924-2019

James Blair Seaborn, diplomat and civil servant, was born in Toronto on March 18, 1924, the son of Richard Seaborn, an Anglican priest, and his wife Muriel. He was educated at the Toronto Normal School, the University of Toronto Schools, and in 1941 he entered Trinity College. In 1943 he enlisted in the army, training with the Royal Canadian Artillery. He served briefly in England and Holland, returning home in 1946. He received his BA in 1947, and an MA in political economy in 1948. While at Trinity College he met Carol Trow (4T8); they married in 1950 and had two children, Geoffrey (Trinity 7T3) and Virginia (Trinity 7T6).

Seaborn joined the Department of External Affairs in 1948, working for e newly appointed Secretary of State for External Affairs, Lester B. Pearson, taking on positions at home and abroad. From 1950 to 1954 he was Second Secretary in The Hague, followed by a promotion to First Secretary in Paris from 1957 to 1959. These positions were followed by a stint in Moscow as Counsellor (1959-1962), and Head, Eastern European Section from 1962-64, and 1966-67, back in Ottawa. Between these last two postings Seaborn served as Canadian Commissioner, International Commission for Supervision and Control, in Saigon. In 1964 and 1965 he was sent on six missions to Hanoi. From 1967 to 1970, back in Ottawa, Seaborn was Head of the Far Eastern Division.

Leaving External Affairs he moved to the Department of Consumer and Corporate Affairs, serving as Assistant Deputy Minister, Consumer Affairs, from 1970 to 1974. He then moved to the Department of the Environment, as Deputy Minister from 1974 to 1982. He was Canadian Chairman of the International Joint Commission from 1982 to 1985, and Intelligence and Security Co-ordinator in the Privy Council Office from 1985 to 1989. In 1989 he retired from the Public Service of Canada.

Post-retirement, Seaborn joined the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency as Chairman, Environmental Assessment Panel on Nuclear Fuel Waste Management and Disposal Concept. He was actively involved in the Five Lakes Fishing Club in the Gatineau area, and participated in yearly hikes along the Appalachian Trail in New England. He became a resource for countless researchers on the Vietnam War, and on environmental issues, contributing to many articles, interviews, conferences, and broadcasts. In 2000 he became a Member of the Order of Canada. His wife, Carol, predeceased him on June 27, 2011; Blair Seaborn died on November 11, 2019, in Ottawa.

Zuckerkandl, Victor

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/121811405
  • Person
  • 1896-1965

Victor Zuckerkandl (1896-1965) was an Austrian musicologist and educator, whose writings touched on music psychology, anthropology, literature, and politics. Born on July 2, 1896, to a family of Viennese-Jewish intellectuals, Zuckerkandl’s early life brought him into contact with many prominent artists of the day, in large part through his aunt Bertha Zuckerkandl’s well-known salon. Zuckerkandl studied with the music theorist Heinrich Schenker in 1914–15, which, along with the interdisciplinary approach fostered by his connection to the fin-de-siècle artistic scene, would form a lasting influence on his musical thought. After music and art history studies at the University of Vienna and frontline service during World War I, Zuckerkandl worked as a conductor in various provincial opera houses and for the Vienna Philharmonic Chorus (1926–1929). In 1927, he received a PhD in musicology from the University of Vienna with a dissertation on Mozart’s techniques of instrumentation, and art history and philosophy as secondary subjects. Having become disillusioned with his career prospects as a conductor, Zuckerkandl worked as a music critic and editor in Berlin from 1927 to 1933. In 1933, he received his first teaching position as a professor of music theory at the Vienna Music Academy, where he taught until 1938. Due to the annexation of Austria, Zuckerkandl left Vienna for Stockholm, eventually emigrating to the USA in 1939.

Zuckerkandl continued to teach once he arrived in America, first at Wellesley College in Massachusetts (1940–42), then at the New School of Social Research in New York (1946–48). His longest and final teaching position was at St. John’s College in Annapolis, Maryland, where he taught music for non-specialists as part of its Great Books program from 1948 to 1964. There, Zuckerkandl joined an interdisciplinary intellectual environment which supported his own interests and modes of thought. Supported by grants from the American Philosophical Society and the Bollingen foundation, Zuckerkandl began to study “the nature, structure and significance of the tonal language” which became the majority of his life’s work. This period resulted in the production of his three major works: Sound and Symbol, volume 1: Music and the External world; The Sense of Music (1959), which was developed as a textbook for his course at St. John’s College; and Sound and Symbol, volume 2: Man the Musician (1973), published posthumously.

In 1960, Zuckerkandl gave a lecture for the first time at the Eranos Conference in Ascona, Switzerland. At Eranos, Zuckerkandl found a circle of like-minded colleagues, with the conference’s themes complementing his own view of music as a connection to the spiritual and esoteric dimensions of human experience. Zuckerkandl continued to attend and deliver lectures at the conference until his death, presenting five lectures from 1960 to 1964, with a sixth planned for 1965. After his retirement in 1964, Zuckerkandl moved to Ascona, where he passed away on April 25, 1965.

Rosenbaum, Stanford Patrick

  • Person
  • 1929-2012

Stanford Patrick Rosenbaum was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1929. He was educated at the University of Colorado (B.A. with Honours in English and General Studies, 1951), Rutgers University (M.A. 1955), and Cornell University (Ph.D., 1960), and received a Fulbright Scholarship, Pembroke College, Oxford, 1956–1957. He began his professional career as an instructor at Cornell University, and after holding positions at Indiana University, 1960–1965, joined the University of Toronto faculty as an Associate Professor and Associate Chair in 1965, becoming a Professor in 1967, and Professor Emeritus in 1991. During his teaching years he received numerous fellowships and grants, including a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1968. His main area of academic interest was the Bloomsbury Group; he contributed to various books related to this subject, as well as authoring numerous articles for journals. S.P. Rosenbaum reviewed books for the Globe and Mail for many years, and in 1991 was named a Fellow in the Royal Society of Canada. He died in Dartmouth, N.S. in 2012.

Burpee, Lawrence Johnstone

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/58162808
  • Person
  • 1873-1946

Lawrence Johnstone Burpee was a historian, a civil servant, a librarian and a writer. He was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the son of Lewis Johnston Burpee and Alice de Mill. In 1899 he married Maud Hanington. They had three sons and two daughters, Lawrence Hanington, Mrs. John Lowe, Margaret, Edward and Arthur. He died in Oxford, England.

Burpee was educated partly at home and at public and private schools. In 1890 he entered the Canadian federal Civil Service to serve as private secretary to three successive Ministers of Justice. From 1905 to 1912 he was Librarian of the Carnegie Public Library in Ottawa. From 1912 until his death, he was Canadian Secretary of the International Joint Commission.

Burpee was one of the founding members of the Canadian Historical Association; National President of the Canadian Authors’ Association; editor of the Canadian Geographical Journal; founding member of the Board of Directors of the Canadian Writers’ Foundation; Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (1911), Honorary Secretary (1926-1935), and President (1936-1937). He received the Medaille de Vermeil award from the Académie Française for work in Canadian history and the Tyrrell Gold Medal from the Royal Society of Canada.

Burpee published extensively in the areas of Canadian bibliography, geography and history. His publications include: A Bibliography of Canadian Fiction (1904, co-editor: L.E. Horning), Canadian Life in Town and Country (1905, co-author: H.J. Morgan), A Little Book of Canadian Essays (1909), A Century of Canadian Sonnets (1910), An Index and Dictionary of Canadian History (1911, co-editor: Arthur G. Doughty), Humour of the North (1912), Sandford Fleming, Empire Builder (1915), An Historical Atlas of Canada (1927, editor), Journals of LaVerendrye (1927, editor).

Nigosian, Solomon Alexander

  • Person
  • 1932-2020

Solomon Alexander Nigosian (Nigoghossian) (1932-2020) was born in 1932, in Alexandria, Egypt, to Abraham and Alice (née Kutchukian). He married Henaz Madzounian in 1952, and together they immigrated to Montreal, Canada in 1955 before settling in Toronto in 1956. The Nigosians had two children, Leo (Levon) and Diana, both born in Toronto. He passed away in Toronto in April 2020.

In 1949, Solomon Nigosian received a certificate from the Oxford and Cambridge school in Victoria College in Alexandria, Egypt. He received a B.A. from University of Toronto (1968), a M.A. from McMaster University (1970) after completing his thesis entitled “Indo-Aryan Religions in Achaemenid Persia”. He also received his Ph.D. degree in 1975 from McMaster University, submitting a thesis entitled “The Song of Moses (Deut. 32:1–43)”. In addition, he held two certificates related to mechanical draughtsmanship and graphic arts, as well as a Sunday School Teacher’s Certificate.

Before immigrating to Canada, Solomon Nigosian worked in various clerk and draughtsman positions in Alexandria. After moving to Canada, he worked for a number of printing companies in Montreal and Toronto. In 1972 he accepted an assistant professorship at the Department of Religious Studies, University of Toronto, where he taught courses in his fields of expertise of world religions, Near Eastern religions, and the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament. He was also a visiting lecturer at a number of Canadian universities, such as York University and Wilfrid Laurier University. He was a Research Associate at Victoria College, University of Toronto, and he taught Continuing Education courses at St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto.

Solomon Nigosian was the founder and the first minister of the Armenian Evangelical Church of Toronto (1960–1968). He was ordained to Christian Ministry by the Armenian Evangelical Union Inc. in 1963, and attended Toronto Bible College (1963–64). He was a founder of the Canada–Armenian Press journal, for which he served as an editor from 1963 to 1968, and has written a number of articles for several Armenian religious publications. He was also actively involved in the Armenian Evangelical union (1964–1971).

Solomon Nigosian was a recipient of a number of awards, among them the Excellence in Teaching Award from the School of Continuing Studies, University of Toronto. He was also a member of a number of professional organizations, such as the International Association for the History of Religion (IAHR) and Canadian Society for the Study of Religion (CSSR). He wrote over a hundred articles and books, and gave lectures on the history of religions and Armenian culture and history. His most recent publications include Islam: Its History, Teaching, and Practices (2004), World Religions: A Historical Approach (2000), and “Images of Moses: a comparative inquiry” (Theological Review, 2002).

Solomon Nigosian travelled extensively for research purposes, visiting the Middle East, India, China, Japan, former USSR, and England. He spoke several languages including Hebrew, Aramaic, Syriac, New Testament Greek, Arabic, Turkish, Armenian, and French.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Senate

  • Corporate body
  • 1841-

The Senate was first given the power and authority to confer degrees in 1841 and consisted of four members of the provincial government, visitors of the College and ex-officio members of the Board and Senate. The Senate was also given power to establish student awards, summon Convocations, "make regulations and deal with all such matters of a strictly educational nature as have not in this Act been assigned to either of the Colleges", and "deal with other matters and affairs as may from time to time be committed to it by the Board." The Victoria University Senate's Executive Committee has the authority to confer honorary degrees to recognize the outstanding accomplishments of graduates of Victoria College and Emmanuel College and to honour the exemplary lives of others who have made extraordinary contributions to society. The Victoria College Registrar serves as Secretary of the Senate.

In the 1990s the Senate underwent a restructuring and Committee records stopped being transferred to the University Archives. Committees continued to exist for some time after the restructuring, but their records were not preserved separately. After the restructuring, complete Committee reports can be found in the Senate minutes.

Linden, Allen

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/59171905
  • Person
  • 1934-2017

Atwood, Margaret

  • Person
  • 1939-

Margaret Eleanor "Peggy" Atwood is a novelist, poet, literary critic, essayist, teacher, environmental activist, and a pioneer of Canadian women's writing. She was born November 18, 1939 in Ottawa and grew up in northern Ontario, Quebec, and Toronto.

She earned a B.A. in English from Victoria College, University of Toronto, and an M.A. from Harvard. Atwood has had a distinguished career in teaching including positions at the University of British Columbia (1964-1965), Sir George Williams University (Concordia University) (1967-1968), York University (1971-1972) and New York University (1986). Her first book of poetry, Double Persephone, was published in 1961, followed by The Circle Games (1966), which won the Governor General’s Award in Poetry. She published her first novel, The Edible Woman in 1969, and subsequently wrote Procedures for Underground (1970) and The Journals of Susanna Moodie (1970). Her most well-known novels include: The Handmaid’s Tale (1985), The Robber Bride (1994), Alias Grace (1996), the Blind Assassin (2000), which was the Booker Prize, and Orynx and Crake (2003). Her complete and up-to date bibliography can be accessed here: http://margaretatwood.ca/full-bibliography-2/. Her work has been translated into many languages and published in more than twenty-five countries.

Among her numerous honors and awards are the Governor General’s Award, the Booker Prize, the Arthur C. Clarke Award, a Guggenheim Fellowship, a Molson Award, the Ida Nudel Humanitarian Award, and a Canada Short Fiction Award. She was named a Companion of the Order of Canada in 1981 and inducted into Canada’s Walk of Fame in 2001. She has served as a Writer-In-Residence at the University of Toronto (1972-1973), Mcquarrie University (1987) and Trinity University (1989). She has previously worked as an editor at Anansi Press (1971-1973), is a founder of the Writers’ Trust of Canada and was President of PEN Canada (1984-1986). She lives in Toronto.

Clarkson, Stephen

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/113416189
  • Person
  • 1937-2016

Stephen H. E. Clarkson (21 October 1937 – 28 February 2016) was a prominent Canadian political scientist, scholar, and a University of Toronto professor of political economy. A liberal-left Canadian nationalist, he did much research and writing on developing and protecting the Canadian economy and identity.

Education

Born in London, England, Clarkson grew up on a farm outside of Toronto, Canada. He attended school at Upper Canada College and became a Rhodes Scholar in 1958. In 1959, he received a B.A. from the University of Toronto for a degree in Modern History and Modern Languages (French and Russian), and an M.A. from the University of Oxford for a degree in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics in 1961. In 1964, he was awarded his Doctorat de Recherches from the Fondation Nationale des Sciences Politiques, Sorbonne, Université de Paris for his dissertation L'analyse soviétique des problèmes indiens du sous-développement (1955-1964). In addition to French and English, Clarkson was also proficient in Spanish, Italian, Russian and German.

University of Toronto

Clarkson became a lecturer in the Department of Political Economy at the University of Toronto in 1964, assistant professor in 1965, associate professor in 1968, and a professor in 1980. He was both awarded tenure and appointed to the Graduate School in 1968. Much of his research, writings and courses focused on an analysis of the Liberal Party, Canadian economic and cultural development, and continental and international trade. He also concentrated on the evolution of North America as a continental state, and the impact of globalization on Canada, specifically in regard to NAFTA and the WTO.

Clarkson was known for his dedicated and inspiring teaching, taking his students on international study trips to learn firsthand about other political systems. It was on such a research trip to Portugal with his students where he passed away after catching pneumonia. He also provided opportunities for his students to co-author papers with him and have them published in academic journals. In 2004, he was awarded the Outstanding Teaching Award from the Faculty of Arts and Science.

Other Academic Appointments

Clarkson has held various fellows and invited scholar positions at institutions worldwide. Early in his career he was a Senior Fellow at Columbia University Research Institute on Communist Affairs (1967-68). In 1995-1996 he was the Jean Monnet Fellow, European University Institute, Florence and did two separated stints at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (2000-2003). In 2006 he became a Senior Fellow, Centre for International Governance Innovation.

Family

Clarkson was married to Adrienne Clarkson (née Poy), (broadcast journalist and former Governor General of Canada) from 1963 to 1975. When the marriage ended, Stephen Clarkson retained custody of their two children Kyra and Blaise. In 1978, he married journalist and writer Christina McCall who would also become his partner in research and writing, co-authoring the two-volume award winning biography on Pierre Trudeau, Trudeau and Our Times. McCall had one daughter from her former marriage with Peter C. Newman, Ashley McCall whom Clarkson adopted. Christina McCall passed away in 2005. In 2014 he married Nora Born, a musicologist he met while studying at the Goethe Institute in Freiburg, Germany. The couple traveled extensively during their years together and split their time between Toronto and Germany until Clarkson’s death in 2016.

Political life

Common to many Canadian university faculty in the late 1960s and into the 1970s, Clarkson was active in formal politics, a role he felt enhanced his academic work. This was the time of student protests, sit-ins and teach-ins on campuses throughout North America. Clarkson was a member of the Sunday Circle, a group of intellectuals and activists whose discussions led to the founding of the City of Toronto Liberal Association in 1968 as well as a broader regional organization, the Toronto and District Liberal Association. In 1969, Clarkson was the mayoral candidate for the City Liberals. While he lost the election to William Dennison, for the next decade he was continually involved in politics at the municipal, provincial and federal level, mainly in his capacity to research and formulate policy at all levels. He was Chair of the Policy and Research committee for the Liberal Party of Ontario and in this capacity was active in leadership races, policy conventions and in both the 1971 and 1975 provincial elections in which Liberal Leader Bob Nixon lost to Conservative William Davis. For the 1975 election in particular, Clarkson was formally part of the Nixon Campaign as a member of the Policy and Platform Committee. The Policy Research Group under Clarkson’s direction was tasked with providing content used for major speeches and candidates’ material; they also answered research requests from candidate campaign offices.

Activism and professional groups

Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, Clarkson’s volunteer and activism extended beyond the formal political party structure. As a left leaning political scientist, he gravitated to participatory and nationalist organizations. He was an active member and played leadership roles in such groups as the Committee for an Independent Canada, Praxis Research Institute for Social Change, and the academic centric University League for Social Reform. From 1965-1979 he was on the Editorial Board for The Canadian Forum and held board positions on the Ontario Welfare Council (Director, 1968-69) and the Social Planning Council of Metro Toronto (Director, 1969-72). As a member of the Canadian Political Science Association he held various positions include Secretary-Treasurer (1966-67), Programme Chairman (1969-70) and as representative on Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council, Publications Committee.

Research and publications

A prolific writer and researcher, Clarkson’s publications, among numerous academic papers, addresses, and news articles, include Dependent America? How Canada and Mexico Construct US Power (2011) with Matto Mildenberger; A Perilous Imbalance: The Globalization of Canadian Law and Governance (2010) with Stepan Wood; Does North America Exist? Governing the Continent after NAFTA and 9/11 (2008); The Big Red Machine: How the Liberal Party Dominates Canadian Politics (2005); Trudeau and Our Times Vol. 1: The Magnificent Obsession (1990) and Vol. 2: The Heroic Delusion (1994) with Christina McCall; The Canadian-American Relationship: Uncle Sam and Us: Globalization, Neoconservatism, and the Canadian State (2002) and Canada and the Reagan Challenge (1982). He was also commissioned to write a history of Canada’s federal election campaigns starting in 1974. These election histories formed the basis of his book The Big Red Machine (2005).

Honors and awards

Stephen Clarkson was awarded numerous research grants and awards throughout his long and active career in academia and political writing. In 1990, volume one of Trudeau and Our Times, co-written with his second wife, Canadian political writer, Christina McCall, won the Governor General Award for Non-Fiction. He was the recipient of a Killam Senior Research Fellowship (1999-2001), a Canada-US Fulbright Scholarship (1999-2000), and was elected as a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 2004. He was appointed to the Order of Canada in 2010. In 2013 he was the recipient of the Konrad Adenauer Research Award conferred by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, in recognition of his academic work promoting collaboration between Canada and Germany.

Lampman, Archibald, 1861-1899

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/7514709
  • Person
  • 1861-11-17/1899-02-10

Archibald Lampman, poet and civil servant, was born on 17 November 1861 in Morpeth, County Kent, Ontario, the son of the Reverend Archibald Lampman and Susannah Charlotte Gesner. He attended a school at Gore's Landing, Ontario (run by Frederick William Barron), Cobourg Collegiate Institute, and Trinity College School, Port Hope, before entering the University of Trinity College, Toronto. He was Wellington Scholar, wrote for the College journal Rouge et Noir (predecessor of Trinity University Review) and was editor in his final year, 1881-82. Lampman was a member of the Trinity College Literary Institute and was Scribe of the two books of Episkopon (the reading of the Episkopon volumes was an annual ritual of the college) in 1881 and 1882. He also contributed to "The Week." He graduated with a BA in 1882. Lampman tried teaching but soon left that profession and entered the Canadian civil service in January of 1883 as a clerk in the Post Office Department.

In 1887 Lampman’s verse began to appear in magazines such as Scribner's, Harper's, Arcadia, Canadian Illustrated News, Atlantic Monthly, and Century. In 1888 he published his first volume, Among the Millet and Other Poems. From February 1892 to July 1893, Lampman, William Wilfred Campbell, and Duncan Campbell Scott wrote a Saturday column for the Toronto Globe titled "At the Mermaid Inn." He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1895, was a member of the Social Science Club in Ottawa and a member of the Fabian Society. He published a second volume, Lyrics of Earth (printed in 1895 and released in 1896) and a third, Alcyone, and other Poems, was in the press at the time of his death. It was held back by Duncan Campbell Scott in favour of a comprehensive memorial volume (1900).

Lampman married Maud Emma Playter on 3 September 1887, in Ottawa, and they had three children: Natalie Charlotte, Arnold Gesner, and Archibald Otto. He died on 10 February 1899 in Ottawa.

Scott, Duncan Campbell

  • Person
  • 1862-1947

Duncan Campbell Scott (1862-1947) was a Canadian civil servant, poet and short story writer. Scott was a member of a group known as the "Confederation poets" which also included Charles G.D. Roberts, Bliss Carman, and Archibald Lampman. This term was first applied to them by scholar and editor Malcolm Ross when he collected their work in the anthology Poets of the Confederation (McClelland & Stewart, 1960). The Confederation poets were the first Canadian writers to become widely known after Confederation in 1867. Scott’s legacy as one of Canada’s preeminent poets has been overshadowed by the prominent role he played in supporting the forced assimilation of Indigenous children through the residential school system.

In 1880 Scott joined the Canadian Department of Indian Affairs as a third-class clerk. In 1893 he was promoted to Chief Accountant. He was made superintendent of Indian Education in 1909 and was deputy superintendent-general from 1913 to 1932. As deputy superintendent, Scott oversaw and expanded the Indian Residential School system for Indigenous children stating his goal was to “get rid of the Indian problem.” In its 2015 report, Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) stated that that residential schools were “part of a coherent policy to eliminate Aboriginal people as distinct peoples and to assimilate them into the Canadian mainstream against their will.” The establishment and operation of residential schools has been labelled by the TRC as cultural genocide.

Additional information on the legacy of Duncan Campbell Scott can be accessed here: https://fncaringsociety.com/sites/default/files/duncan_campbell_scott_information_sheet_final.pdf.

Selvadurai, Shyam

  • Person
  • 1965-

Shyam Selvadurai was born 12 February 1965 in Colombo, Sri Lanka to a Sinhalese mother and a Tamil father. He attended Royal Junior School and Royal College in Colombo and participated in theatre; he directed his first production, The Wizard of Oz at the age of 13. Ethnic riots, between Tamil and Sinhalese beginning in July 1983, led Selvadurai and his family to immigrate to Canada when he was 19 years old. He attended York University for a bachelor of fine arts in theatre directing and playwriting between 1984 and 1989.
He moved to Montreal in 1990 to focus on writing and published his first story “Nagadvipa Road” in Montreal Serai in 1991. He published “Pigs Can’t Fly” in the Toronto South Asian Review in spring 1992, which resulted in securing an agent, and a plan to expand “Pigs Can’t Fly” into a novel. Funny Boy, a novel presented through six short stories, was published in 1994 by McClelland & Stewart in Canada and Jonathan Cape in the UK. It was shortlisted for the 1994 Giller Prize and was awarded the Smithbooks/Books in Canada First Novel Award. Funny Boy would go on to be translated into seven languages and published in eleven countries. His second novel, Cinnamon Gardens was published in 1998 by McClelland & Stewart, which was shortlisted for the Trillium Award in 1998. His third novel, for young adults, Swimming in the Monsoon Sea was published by Tundra Books in 2005 and was shortlisted for the Governor General’s Literary Award. His most recent work was The Hungry Ghosts which was published by Double Day Canada and Penguin India in April 2013. Selvadurai received an MFA in creative writing from the University of British Columbia in 2010. He taught creative writing workshops at York University between 1998 and 2010, and at the University of Toronto, School of Continuing Studies in 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2009. Shyam Selvadurai lives in Toronto.

Brady, Elizabeth

  • Person
  • 1945-2017

Elizabeth Brady (known professionally as Liz Brady) was born 3 June 1945 in Toronto and was the daughter of James Anderson Brady and Dorothy O’Connell. She attended Burlington High School and later the University of Western Ontario for both her B.A (Hons) (1967) and her M.A (1969). Brady received her Ph.D at the University College of London, England on
Virginia Woolf in 1972.

Brady was an active writer, both academic and fiction, and editor. She wrote book reviews between 1974 and 1978 and was an editorial member of the Fireweed collective from 1978-1980 and the managing editor of Canadian Woman Studies from 1984-1989, 1991-1992. She was the author of Tintype (Fiddlehead Poetry Books, 1977), Marian Engel and Her Works (ECW Press, 1987) and the Jane Yeats mystery series: Sudden Blow (1998), Bad Date (2001), and See Jane Run! (2004, Second Story Press). Sudden Blow received the Arthur Ellis Award for Best First Novel in 1999. Elizabeth Brady died in 2017.

Chelvanayakam, Samuel James Velupillai

  • https://viaf.org/viaf/113941416/#Chelvanayakam,_Samuel_James_Velupillai,_1898-1977
  • Person
  • 1898-1977

Samuel James Velupillai Chelvanayakam was born in Ipoh, Malaysia on 31 March 1898 to Viswanathan Velupillai, a businessman, and Harriet Annamma Kanapathipillai. He moved to Tellippallai, Sri Lanka, with his mother, two brothers, and sister (only his brother E. V. Ponnuthurai survived past childhood) in order to receive his early education at Union College, Tellipalai for eight years. From then he studied for five years at St. Johns College, Jaffna, and then to St. Thomas’s College, Mount Lavinia. Chelvanayakam graduated from the University of London as an external student in 1918 with a degree in Science. In 1927 he married Emily Grace Barr-Kumarakulasinghe. They had four sons and one daughter.

He was a teacher at St. Thomas’s College until moving to Wesley College in 1919 to teach Mathematics. He later became the Head of the Science Department. He attended lectures at the Law College and sat for the law examinations at the Law College while he was still teaching at Wesley College. Chelvanyakam started his legal career in the Court of Requests in Colombo. He set up a private practice first in Hultsdorp and later in St. Sebastian Hill. From the Court of Requests, Chelvanayakam moved to the District Court and later to the Appellate Courts. He was made Queen’s Counsel on 31st May 1947.

Chelvanayakam then left his practice and joined politics as a primary organizer of the All Ceylon Tamil Congress (ACTC) in 1944. He was elected as a member of Parliament for the first time in September 1947. On 18 December 1949, Chelvanayakam launched the Ilankai Thamil Arasu Kadchi (ITAK, also known as the Federal Party) along with E. M. V. Naganathan and V. Navaratnam elected as joint General Secretaries. He was also a director of the Tamil newspaper Suthanthiran (Freedom).

Chelvanayakam was known by Tamils as Thanthai Chelva (Father Chelva) because of his interest in safeguarding the identity and interests of Tamil people.

Together with the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka he signed the Bandaranaike-Chelvanayakam Pact on 26 July 1957 which would request parity for the Tamil language; cessation of colonization on traditional Tamil-speaking homelands; give regional autonomy for the Tamil provinces; and restore the citizenship and rights of the upcountry Tamils (S. J. V. Chelvanayakam and the Crisis of Sri Lankan Tamil Nationalism / A. J. Wilson). On 24 March 1965 he signed the Senanayake-Chelvanayakam Pact which addressed the Tamil Language Special Provisions Act No. 28 of 1958 but this was not passed.

Chelvanayakam’s health declined due to Parkinson’s disease and in 1961 he had surgery in Edinburgh. After suffering from a fall resulting in head injuries in March 1977, Chelvanayakam passed away on 26 April 1977.

Arts and Science Students' Union

  • Corporate body
  • 1972-

The Arts and Science Students’ Union (ASSU) is an organization representing full-time undergraduate students in the Faculty of Arts and Science (FAS) at the University of Toronto, St. George Campus. The core functions of ASSU as an umbrella organization for over 60 course unions are performed by full-time staff and seven executive members. Executives are elected by members of the Council, the governing, legislative body of ASSU that is made up of representatives from each course union. The course unions in turn directly represent students in the various departments and programs within the Faculty of Arts and Science.

ASSU traces its history back to the 1960s with the formation of student-led course unions. Their major aims were to improve the educational experience of undergraduates, and to advocate for increased student involvement in decisions made about faculty promotion and tenure, as well as curriculum and program content. The earliest course unions were funded through the Students’ Administrative Council’s (SAC) Education Commission. In 1972, the Arts and Science Students’ Union was formed to act as the intermediary between SAC and the course unions, and has been independently funded through a direct undergraduate fee levy since 1975.

Aside from providing funding for course unions and the production of the annual Anti-Calendar, ASSU has provided a variety of services to students, including advising on academic grievances, administering scholarships and bursaries, and offering a past test library. It has also engaged with other student groups, community members and university administration and faculty to organize events and to advocate for changes in policies and programs.

Beverley, Jo

  • Person
  • 1947-2016

Jo Beverley is the author of thirty-two published historical romances. She has been the recipient of numerous awards including the Golden Leaf, the Award of Excellence, the National Readers Choice, and a two Career Achievement awards from Romantic Times. She is also a five-time winner of the RITA, the top award of the Romance Writers Of America, and is a member of its Hall of Fame and Honor Roll. Beverley passed away in England in 2016.

Rosenblatt, Joe

  • Person
  • 1933-2019

Rosenblatt, Canadian poet, was born in Toronto in 1933. He has published several books of poetry & fiction. His selected poems, Top Soil, won the Governor General's award for poetry.

Mulhallen, Karen

  • Person
  • 1942-

Karen Ann Mulhallen is a writer, publisher, Professor of English at Ryerson Polytechnic University and the editor-in-chief of Descant. Born May 1, 1942 in Woodstock, Ontario to H.J. Thomas and Edna Anne (neé Naylor), Mulhallen was educated at Waterloo Lutheran University (B.A. 1963) and the University of Toronto (M.A. 1967, Ph.D. 1975).

Mulhallen was Lecturer at Ryerson from 1966, and became a Professor in 1971. Her area of scholarly expertise is 18th century English art. She is the author of several books of poetry, a work of travel fiction, and articles on the literary and visual arts in Canadian journals and magazines, including Blewointment, Quarry, and The White Wall Review. She was the Poetry Review Editor and the Arts Feature Editor for Canadian Forum (1974-1979), and has edited several collections of poetry, travel writing, and criticism for Somerville House Publishers. As editor-in-chief, Mulhallen has made Descant one of Canada's

Mulhallen was a finalist in the CBC Literary Awards (1989) and the CBC-Saturday Night Literary Awards (1994), and won the Maclean Hunter Arts Journalism Fellowship (1994), and the Hawthornden Castle Fellowship (1996). She was the Sarwan Sahota Distinguished Professor at Ryerson (1998), and has received various other grants and fellowships. She has also been a grants and awards adjudicator, and has made numerous public readings and broadcasts for television and radio.

Gibson, Graeme

  • Person
  • 1934-2019

Graeme Gibson was born in London, Ont. in 1934. He studied at the University of Western Ontario and later taught at Ryerson. He has travelled widely, living abroad in England, France, and elsewhere. In 1959 he married Shirley Gibson, who later became President of Anansi Press (1972-1974). In 1969 his first novel, Five Legs, was published by Anansi Press, followed by his second, Communion, in 1971. In the 1970's he became active in various cultural organizations. He was a founding member of the Writer's Union of Canada, serving as its chairman in 1974/75. In 1975 he helped to establish the Book and Periodical Development Council, which he chaired the following year. He has also been chairman of the Writer's Development Trust. In 1973 he edited a collection of interviews entitled: Eleven Canadian Novelists, published by Anansi Press. In 1978 he was awarded a Scottish Canadian Exchange Fellowship. In 1982 he published his third novel, Perpetual Motion and in 1993, Gentleman Death. In 1996, he decided to stop writing novels and has since published two non-fiction books: The Bedside Book of Birds (2005) and the Bedside Book of Beasts (2009). He lives in Toronto with Margaret Atwood.

University of Toronto Press Incorporated

  • Corporate body
  • 1901-current

Founded in 1901, University of Toronto Press (UTP) is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of the largest university presses in North America. UTP has published over 6,500 books, with well over 3,500 of these still in print. The Scholarly Publishing division produces approximately 175 titles per year, and the Higher Education division publishes around 25 titles per year. The Press has published dozens of notable authors, including Northrop Frye, Robertson Davies, Harold Innis, Marshall McLuhan, Yousuf Karsh, Michael Bliss, Carl Berger, Umberto Eco, and Julia Kristeva, and has produced some of the most important books ever published in Canada, such as the Historical Atlas of Canada, the Dictionary of Canadian Biography, the Encyclopedia of Canada’s Peoples, and the History of the Book in Canada. With the publication of these landmark titles, as well as a continuing dedication to groundbreaking new scholarship, UTP has firmly established its reputation for excellence. - from http://www.utpress.utoronto.ca/aboutus.php?sectionID=2&subsectionID=1&pageID=1

Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) at the University of Toronto. Northwestern Field Centre

  • Corporate body
  • 1970-current

Established in 1970, the Northwestern Filed Centre is the OISE/UT teaching, outreach, and research campus in Thunder Bay.
Field Centres make OISE / UT unique among North American universities. Located in Kitchener, Peterborough, and Thunder Bay, the Field Centres provide OISE/UT with a physical presence across Ontario. The Field Centre provide off-campus sites for courses in both graduate and Continuing Education Programs and serve as the OISE?UT contact point for students in the regions. Further, through Program-Based Field Development projects, the Field Centres link the curriculum and professional development needs of school boards with OISE/UT graduate studies, continuing education, research, and development activities.
The Mandate of the Northwestern Field Centre is to conduct field development projects with local practitioners in order to ensure that initiatives such as site based management, school councils, and new curriculum policy and programs are implemented in a manner consistent with the context and culture of the North. Further, through partnerships with the Northern School Resource Alliance and the local school districts, the Northwestern Field Centre also focuses on the development of leadership at the school and district levels. Finally, the Centre's faculty teach courses on class curriculum.

Results 1 to 50 of 4899