Showing 4909 results

People and organizations

Adaskin, Murray

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/114551502
  • Person
  • 1906-2002

Somers, Harry

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/116946193
  • Person
  • 1925-1999

Mather, Bruce

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/34544071
  • Person
  • 1939-

Applebaum, Louis

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/5982946
  • Person
  • 1918-2000

Freedman, Harry

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/115695576
  • Person
  • 1922-2005

Sharp, William

  • Person

William (Bill) Sharp was one of the British children evacuated to Canada in World War II. He was billeted with the Williamson family (see Peterkin Williamson Family fonds) and attended the University of Toronto. Sharp remained in Canada after the war.

University of Toronto. Dynamic Graphics Project

  • Corporate body

From http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/home/:
The Dynamic Graphics Project was founded in 1967 by Professor Leslie Mezei. He was joined by Professor Ron Baecker in 1972, who coined the name Dynamic Graphics Project in 1974. The lab’s name was intended to imply the spirit of the place, and to encompass both Computer Graphics and Dynamic Interaction Techniques, which was subsumed by the new field of Human Computer Interaction in the early 1980’s. The lab is now home to several faculty members and dozens of post-docs, visiting researchers, graduate students, undergraduate research assistants, and staff. The lab’s alumni are now on faculty at top universities throughout the world and at major industrial research labs, and have also won academy awards for their groundbreaking work.

Baecker, Ron

  • Person

Prof. Ronald Baecker, a graduate of Applied Math at MIT (Ph.D. 1969), came to the University of Toronto in 1972 as an Assistant Professor of Computer Science. He immediately became co-director of the joined Dynamic Graphic Project laboratory with Prof Leslie Mezei, a role he held through most of his career at the University of Toronto and as Professor Emeritus is still Director. He was appointed Associate Professor, cross appointed to electrical engineering in 1975 and Professor in 1989. In 1996 he was the founding director of the Knowledge Media Design Institute (KMDI) and remained active in this role off and on until 2009. From 2009-2018, he was the Director of the Technologies for Aging Gracefully Lab (TAGlab) and remains Director Emeritus. He was also Bell Universities Laboratories Chair in Human-Computer Interaction from 2002-2011. He is a fellow of the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) and has been recognized as one of the Top 60 Pioneers in Computer Graphics by ACM. In 2015 he was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Canadian Association of Computer Science.
Sources: http://ron.taglab.ca/ http://hciweb.cs.toronto.edu/DGPis40/speakers_session3.html#baecker https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Baecker

Lindsay, Ashley

  • Person

Dr. Ashley Lindsay graduated from the University of Toronto Faculty of Dentistry in 1907 and within a year married Alice and departed on a mission to Chengtu China with the Methodist West China Mission. In China, Dr. Lindsay became known as the father of modern dentistry, having established the first dental clinic in China in 1917 and a College of Dentistry at the West China Union University in 1920. He would act as Dean off and on until he left to return to Canada in 1950.

Esprit Orchestra

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/145352993
  • Corporate body
  • 1983-

Gould, Glenn

  • http://viaf.org/viaf/54148399
  • Person
  • 1932-1982

Faculty of Music Anti-Racism Alliance

  • Local
  • Corporate body
  • 2020-

The Faculty of Music Anti-Racism Alliance (FoMARA) is a student organization which aims to create an equitable and safe environment within the University of Toronto Faculty of Music, empowering the voices of BIPOC members. FoMARA advocates on issues surrounding racism, systemic oppression, and colonialism. Goals of the organization include facilitating student acitivism, fostering dialogue between students, faculty, and administration, and challenging Eurocentric pedagogy, curriculum content, and performance values within the Faculty of Music.

Keith MacMillan

  • F2346
  • Person
  • 1920-1991

Keith Campbell MacMillan (1920–1991) was a composer, administrator, writer, editor, and educator. He was born in Toronto on September 23, 1920, son of the eminent conductor, composer, organist, and educator Sir Ernest MacMillan and Laura Elsie Keith. He attended Upper Canada College and studied piano, music theory, and organ privately. He enrolled at Trinity College, studying mainly biology.

MacMillan graduated from Trinity College with a BA in 1949 and received an MA in 1951 from the University of Toronto. The following year he founded Hallmark Recordings and became a CBC Radio producer. In 1964, he was named executive director of the Canadian Music Centre. His advocacy of Canadian music included writing, lecturing, and consulting. MacMillan was chair of the music department at the University of Ottawa from 1977 until his retirement in 1985.

Keith MacMillan met his wife, Helen Patricia (“Pat”) Dustan, at Trinity College; they married in 1949. They had four children. Keith died on May 20, 1991 in Toronto.
[Sources include Canadian Encyclopedia and the Toronto Star obituary of Helen Patricia (“Pat”) Dustan: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thestar/obituary.aspx?pid=182489208]

Halvorsen, Johan

  • https://viaf.org/viaf/84435897
  • Person
  • 1864-1935

Born in Drammen, Norway, Johan Halvorsen was a violinist, conductor and composer who continued the nationalist Norwegian traditions established by Grieg, serving for 30 years as conductor of the Christiania National Theatre. He received his musical education in Kristiania Stockholm. Popular repertoire include Halvorsen’s Danses norvégiennes, for violin and orchestra, and his Entry March of the Boyars. Less often heard are his three symphonies and his two rhapsodies on Norwegian folk-tunes. He composed arrangements of a Sarabande and a Passacaglia by Handel for violin and viola.

Onodera, Midi

  • Person
  • 1961-

Midi Onodera (b. (October 26 1961) is a third generation Japanese-Canadian filmmaker who has been directing, producing, and writing films for over thirty years. Her work includes short and feature length films and videos, and has been exhibited both in Canada and internationally. Born in Toronto, Midi then attended the Ontario College of Art and Design and graduated with an AOCA certificate (1983). She later went back to the college and received a BFA in 2011. Midi was able to enter the Toronto art community not only as a student at OCAD but also as the Equipment Coordinator at the Funnel, a prominent centre for exhibition, distribution and production of experimental films from 1977-1989. She went onto to work in the Canadian film industry as a camera assistant and worked with award-winning Cinematographers, Rene Ohashi and Marc Champion.

Midi has also been a media consultant, director, and producer for almost twenty years at MAC Cosmetics and she founded Daruma Pictures Inc. in 1990. Her works feature various formats ranging from 8 & 16mm film to digital video, and digital toy formats such as modified Nintendo Game Boy Camera, Intel Mattel computer microscope, and the Tyco and Trendmasters video cameras. Midi’s films have been critically recognized and have been included in numerous screenings such as the Toronto International Film Festival; the Berlin International Film Festival; the Rotterdam International Film Festival and a number of screenings at Lesbian & Gay Film Festivals around the world. Her works address individual, collective, national and transnational identities and she takes on issues such as race and gender. A predominant theme in many of Midi’s work highlights a personal diaristic narrative with a focus on the everyday. Midi’s films have won numerous awards such as Best Feature Film: Audience Award for Skin Deep in 1995 at the Hamburg International Lesbian & Gay Film Festival and her Documentary Film The Displaced View was nominated for Best Documentary in 1989 at the Gemini Awards. More recently Midi’s work was celebrated and honored at the Art Gallery of Ontario in 2011 with the DVD set Thirty Years: The Moving Image Art of Midi Onodera.

Boyes, Mildred

  • F2121
  • Person
  • 1919-1987

Elizabeth Mildred Boyes, was born in Regina, Saskatchewan, in 1919, the daughter of Mrs. C.M. Johnston. After attending Regina Central Collegiate Institute, she entered Trinity College, Toronto, in 1937, residing in St. Hilda’s College. Graduating in 1941 with a BA, she married George Harold Boyes. Mildred Boyes died 16 July 1987 in Toronto, Ontario. [Source:Trinity Convocation Bulletin, Summer 1987]

Clark, Samuel Delbert

  • https://viaf.org/viaf/51816324/
  • Person
  • 1910-2003

Samuel Delbert "Del" Clark was a Canadian sociologist and professor in the Departments of Political Economy and Sociology at the University of Toronto.

Born in Lloydminster, Alberta, Clark received a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science and history in 1930 and a Master of Arts degree in 1931 from the University of Saskatchewan. From 1932 to 1933, he studied at the London School of Economics. In 1935, he received a Master of Arts degree from McGill University and a Ph.D. in 1938 from the University of Toronto. In 1943, he was awarded a Fellowship from the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation.

In 1938, he started teaching at the University of Toronto in the Department of Political Economy. Through his efforts, sociology gained respect from Canadian scholars who were initially skeptical of the discipline. On July 1, 1963, he led the founding of the Sociology department and served as its first chair until 1969. He retired in 1976, but taught for years as a Visiting Professor at a number of places, including Dalhousie University, Lakehead University, and the University of Edinburgh.

As a sociologist, Clark became known for studies interpreting Canadian social development as a process of disorganization and re-organization on a series of economic frontiers. His scholarship won him acceptance at a time when Canadian academics were still skeptical of the new discipline of sociology. Under Clark’s direction, a series on the Social Credit movement produced 10 monographs by Canadian scholars. In the 1960s, Clark’s interest shifted to contemporary consequences of economic changes, especially suburban living and urban poverty.

Clark’s publications – mainly books—include The Canadian Manufacturers Association (1939), The Social Development of Canada (1942), Church and Sect in Canada (1948), Movements of Political Protest in Canada (1959), The Developing Canadian Community (1962), The Suburban Society (1966), Canadian Society in Historical Perspective (1976) and The New Urban Poor (1978).

Clark was elected president of the Canadian Political Science Association in 1958 and honorary president of the Canadian Sociology and Anthropology Association in 1967. In 1978, he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada as "social historian of international repute and, as one of our most distinguished scholars". A Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, he also served as its president from 1975 to 1976. He was elected a foreign honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1976. He was awarded the J.B. Tyrrell Historical Medal in 1960. He received honorary degrees from the University of Calgary, Dalhousie University, Lakehead University, the University of Western Ontario, the University of Manitoba, and the University of Toronto.

In 1999, the Department of Sociology, University of Toronto instituted the endowed "S.D. Clark Chair" in his honour.

Clark died in Toronto on 18 September 2003.

Banting, Frederick Grant, Sir

  • Person
  • 1891-1941

Born on his father's farm near Alliston, Ontario on 14 November 1891, Frederick Grant Banting was the fourth and youngest son of William Thompson Banting and Margaret (Grant) Banting's five children. Fred Banting was an average student, described as a hard-working, shy, and serious child by local schoolteachers. His grades were sufficient to earn admission at the University of Toronto. In 1910 he enrolled in the general arts course at Victoria College, with tentative plans to pursue a degree in the Methodist ministry.

This plan, perhaps more a reflection of his parent's desires than his own, did not materialize and Banting left Victoria College before completing his first year. In the fall of 1912, Banting re-entered the University of Toronto, this time enrolling in the Faculty of Medicine with a specialty in surgery.

Upon declaration of war on 4 August 1914, Fred Banting attempted to enlist in the Canadian Army the following day. Citing his poor eyesight, the Army rejected him. He later joined the Canadian Army Medical Service, however, after earning high grades and completing most of his medical training. He enlisted as a private in the spring of 1915 and before the fall of that year held the rank of sergeant. The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine, also eager to join the war effort, designed a special curriculum for the class of 1917, condensing the fifth year into a special summer and fall semester. Along with most of the other young men in his class, Banting graduated with a bachelor's degree in medicine (M.B.) on 9 December 1916. He reported for active service the following morning.

Banting first served at Granville Hospital in England before being sent to the front line as a battalion medical officer in June 1918. In late September of that year, Banting was wounded at the battle of Chambrai, where his conduct during the assault earned him the Military Cross. His wound, though not serious, was slow to heal, keeping Banting in hospital until 4 December 1918, more than three weeks after the war had ended. He resumed his duties as a Medical Officer working first in England and, after returning to Canada in the spring of 1919, at the Christie Street Hospital for Veterans in Toronto.

De-mobilized in the summer of 1919, Banting stayed in Toronto an additional year to complete his internship in surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children. In the summer of 1920, having completed his duties as senior house surgeon and intending to set up his own practice as a physician and surgeon, Banting left Toronto for London, Ontario. By the fall of that year a dearth of patients and a lack of funds had driven Banting to the University of Western Ontario where he took a part-time job as demonstrator in the medical school. On the night of 31 October 1920, while taking notes on an article by Moses Barron for an upcoming lecture on the pancreas, Banting conceived the "idea" that would change not only his life but the lives of countless others.

Banting first approached Dr. F.G. Miller, a medical research scientist at the University of Western Ontario. Miller referred Banting to one of the leading specialists on carbohydrate metabolism: Prof. J.J.R. Macleod, then at the University of Toronto. In early November, Banting went to Toronto to meet Prof. Macleod. Although skeptical of Banting's procedure, Macleod arranged for the young surgeon to have laboratory space in the physiology department, dogs, and an assistant. After considering his options in London, Banting returned to Toronto in May 1921 for what was scheduled to be two months of research at the University. He never returned to his London practice.

Although he had assisted Miller with laboratory experiments at the University of Western Ontario, Banting had less experience in that setting than the young assistant J.J.R. Macleod assigned to him before leaving the city for the summer, Charles H. Best. Best had recently graduated from the physiology and biochemistry course and had done laboratory work as part of his degree. Originally the experiments were planned to play to Banting and Best's strengths: Banting was to perform the surgery and Best was to measure the blood and urine sugar levels. Eventually, however, each man became adept at the other's specialty. Observations and calculations from the experiments were recorded in a series of notebooks by both men. The notebooks also document Banting and Best's many difficulties with their experiments that summer: the two-stage pancreatectomy was a lengthy process and many dogs died of infection in the summer heat. But their persistence and hard work paid off when, on 30 July Banting and Best injected diabetic Dog 410 with a pancreatic extract that caused a dramatic reduction in blood sugar levels. Both men enthusiastically described their accomplishment in letters to Macleod and then spent the month of August continuing their experiments on Dog 92.

Macleod returned from his summer in Scotland cautious about Banting and Best's success, but agreed that the experiments should be continued. Although Banting, as a research assistant in the Physiology Department for the summer, had been compensated for work he did that summer, Banting's position was not extended into the academic year. As a result, in early September it appeared that Banting would have no job in Toronto that fall and that any further work he would do on the experiments would be unpaid. In September, Velyien Henderson, head of the Pharmacology Department, offered Banting a position as demonstrator in his department, thus allowing for Banting's work on insulin to continue.

Macleod continued to supervise the insulin research and in November suggested that Banting and Best present their preliminary findings to the Physiological Journal Club of the University of Toronto. Soon after that meeting, Banting and Best began a longevity experiment using Dog 33. The experiment required a continuous supply of insulin, so the two men set about producing a purified extract. In December, Macleod invited J.B.Collip, a biochemist visiting from the University of Alberta, to join the team to help find a purified extract. By Christmas of that year Macleod had sufficient confidence in the work that he suggested that the Toronto team present their findings at the annual meeting of the American Physiological Society in New Haven, Connecticut. On 30 December Banting delivered his first public lecture, entitled "The Beneficial Influences of Certain Pancreatic Extracts on Pancreatic Diabetes," before an audience of prominent scientists, and clinicians including F.M. Allen, E.P. Joslin, and G.H.A. Clowes. Banting's lecturing style was not convincing and the presentation drew many questions from the audience.

The Toronto group, however, was undeterred: in late January Collip's purified extract was successfully administered to the first human patient, Leonard Thompson, and the expertise of the Connaught Antitoxin Laboratories was enlisted to collaborate on the development and production of a pancreatic extract. Banting's involvement in the experimental work is less evident during the winter and spring of 1922. However, he did treat diabetic patients as insulin became more readily available. Sometime in April, with the help of Dr. Joseph Gilchrist and the support of the Department of Soldiers' Civil Re-establishment, Banting established a diabetic clinic at the Christie Street Hospital . Banting also opened his own practice at 160 Bloor Street West, treating private patients, one of whom, Jim Havens of Rochester, N.Y., became the first American citizen to be injected with insulin.

In late May, after an agreement was reached with Eli Lilly & Company to distribute insulin on a larger scale, the research entered the clinical testing phase. Insulin was sent to diabetic clinics in Boston and New Jersey, and in June 1922 the University of Toronto and the Toronto General Hospital established a diabetic clinic under the supervision of Dr. Duncan Graham. Banting was appointed a member of the clinic staff, along with Dr. A.A. Fletcher and Dr. W.R. Campbell . Case studies of these early trials, including some written by Banting, were published in a special issue of the Journal of Metabolic Research.

Meanwhile, Banting began to receive letters from the public requesting insulin treatment. Among the many appeals he received was one from Antoinette Hughes, the wife of the then United States Secretary of State, Charles Evans Hughes. Mrs. Hughes sought treatment for her fourteen year old daughter Elizabeth, whom Banting agreed to treat. She arrived in Toronto with her nurse on 16 August 1922, weighing only 45 pounds. A prolific letter writer, Elizabeth recorded many observations of her life under Banting's care that summer and fall. She was also one of Banting's greatest successes; three months after her arrival in Toronto Elizabeth had more than doubled her weight and was able to return home.

As news of the discovery continued to spread, public recognition of Banting's achievement arrived in various forms: in May 1923 the Ontario Legislative Assembly passed the Banting and Best Medical Research Act that established the Banting and Best Chair of Medical Research, for which Banting was appointed the first director ; in July the Dominion Government awarded Banting a lifetime annuity of $7,500; also in July and by this time weary of public speaking, Banting was asked to open the Canadian National Exhibition where he spoke to a crowd of 76,500 people; and on 25 October 1923, Banting became the first Canadian to win a Nobel Prize in Medicine, conferred jointly on Banting and Macleod. The shy, serious farmer's son who wrote his mother every Sunday had become a national hero.

After the discovery of insulin, Banting supervised important research on silicosis but never again had any real success of his own. Although he did complete his M.D. in 1922, Banting did not pursue any advanced degrees. Public confidence in his scientific abilities nevertheless remained high. In 1930 the University of Toronto dedicated a building to him, in 1938 he was invited to become the first chairman of the Associate Committee on Medical Research of the National Research Council, and newspapers continued to print reports of Dr. Banting's new "discoveries" promising that he was working on something even better than insulin.

Banting's personal life was also a matter of public interest. The media reported his whirlwind romance and marriage to Marion Robertson in 1924 and later, after the marriage ended badly eight years later, the media's scrutiny was no less detailed. The press followed Banting on a painting expedition to the Arctic in 1927 with A.Y. Jackson, whom he had met at the Arts and Letters Club in Toronto. In 1934 Banting's name again made headlines: much to his distaste, Banting had been knighted by King George V. The man who had once written his cousin, F.W. Hipwell, that he liked "the ordinary life" was not able to lead one.

When war broke out again in 1939, Banting, as he had done twenty-five years earlier, was among the first to offer his services to his country. He rejoined the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps. As part of his war service, Banting was en route to England the night of 20 February 1941 when his plane, a Lockheed Hudson bomber, crashed on the east coast of Newfoundland. Shortly after take-off the plane developed mechanical problems and the pilot, J.C. Mackey, attempted to bring the plane down near Musgrave Harbour, but hit a tree on landing. Both the radio operator and the navigator were killed on impact and Banting was fatally injured. He died the next day. Banting left one son, William, and his second wife, Lady Henrietta Ball Banting.

Books and articles about Banting:

Best, C. H. "Sir Frederick Banting" in University of Toronto Quarterly, Vol. X, No. 3 (April 1941)

Best, C. H. "Frederick Grant Banting 1891-1941" in Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society, Volume 4 (November 1942)

Bliss, Michael. Banting: A Biography. Toronto, Ont.: McClelland and Stewart, 1984

Collip, J. B. "Recollections of Sir Frederick Banting" in Canadian Medical Association Journal, November 1942

From: https://insulin.library.utoronto.ca/about/banting.

University of Toronto. Scarborough Campus.

  • Corporate body
  • 1964-

In 1956, concerned about the growing number of students at the downtown St. George campus, the University of Toronto proposed the creation of two suburban satellite campuses. In 1962, University of Toronto President Claude T. Bissell decreed that the new campuses, Erindale (now Mississauga) and Scarborough, would offer programs of the same admission standards, quality and degree level as the downtown campus, with the same tuition fees. The colleges would concentrate on offering general Arts and Science courses, to be expanded at a later date. The intention was for extension courses to be offered in Scarborough beginning in 1964, with on-site teaching to begin at the new campus itself in 1965.

In 1963 the University of Toronto purchased a 202-acre estate on Highland Creek for close to $650,000 from insurance broker E. L. McLean. The property was originally developed in 1911 by Toronto businessman Miller Lash, who built the 17-room mansion in the Highland Creek Valley that now serves as the Principal’s Residence. In 1964 construction began on the college buildings, designed by local architect John Andrew and located on the eastern ridge of the Highland Creek Valley. 16 faculty members were appointed this same year, and evening courses were taught under the Scarborough College name at Birchmount Park Collegiate beginning in October. The College’s first Principal, D. C. Williams, was also made a Vice- Principal of the University of Toronto.

Due to a construction strike, the first cohort of Scarborough College students were taught in temporary classrooms at the Old Biology Building on the St. George campus. Arthur FitzWalter Wynne (A.F.W.) Plumptre was named as the second Principal of the College and took up residence in Miller Lash House in 1965. The Scarborough College Athletics Association was formed, and in January of 1966 the S-Wing (Science) and H-Wing (Humanities) were opened to students. The official Opening Ceremonies took place in the fall, and the College’s first full year of operation began with 500 students. By 1967 enrollment had doubled to 1000, and the first student magazine, Marooned, was published.

The first graduating class of Scarborough College received their degrees in 1968, and the Scarborough College Alumni Association was consequently formed in 1969. The first literary magazine, Mimesis, was also published in 1969, along with the new student newspaper, Balcony Square, which replaced the short-lived Apocalypse. This strong literary tradition was upheld by the first edition of Scarborough Fair – An Anthology of Literature in 1974, and The Underground newspaper in 1982.

In 1970, the first F. B. Watts Memorial Lecture, named in honour of Scarborough College’s retired professor of economics, was given by former Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson, beginning a long-standing tradition of high quality guest lecturing at the College. Former Prime Minister John Diefenbaker also gave a Watts lecture, in 1977. Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau visited campus to give lectures on two separate occasions while in office, in September 1971 and in 1979.

In 1972 Scarborough College became a separate arts and science division within the University of Toronto, allowing the college to take control over the development of its curriculum. The R- Wing (Recreation) also opened, providing students with a fine arts studio, gymnasium, and other sporting facilities. CSCR Radio began to broadcast from Scarborough College. The first student residences opened in 1973, following designs that had been approved in 1971, allowing for the accommodation of 250 students. The College also became the first in Ontario to implement a credit-based system for academics.

In 1974 Don Carr became the first winner of the Plumptre Award for outstanding contribution to the advancement of athletics and recreation at Scarborough College. The College became a frontrunner in interfaculty athletics, winning the T. A. Reed Trophy for overall success in interfaculty athletic competition in 1977 and the Marie Parkes Award for overall participation and athletic excellence in interfaculty competition in 1982, and was awarded a Government of Ontario Citation for continued outstanding support to the advancement of amateur sport in 1984.

In 1976 Joan Foley became the first female Principal of any University of Toronto college with her appointment at Scarborough. Construction of a dedicated library building was made a leading priority, and in 1978 the students of the College voted in favour of a $10 per student fee for ten years for the construction of the new library. Construction began in 1981 and the library was opened in 1982, named in memory of Economics Professor Emeritus Vincent W. Bladen.

In 1983, in order to emphasize its relationship with the University of Toronto, Scarborough College changed its name to Scarborough Campus, University of Toronto. The Student Village Centre opened its doors in 1985. Despite the growth of the campus, though, student unrest due to lack of funding culminated in a protest rally at Convocation Hall at St George campus in 1986. The following year, Scarborough Campus celebrated its rich arts history with a week-long event that showcased performing and visual arts called Encore: Festival of the Arts.

Scarborough Campus celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1989, hosting an Open House, Homecoming Weekend, and Alumni Reunion. The West Village opened in 1990, bringing the total number of students that could be accommodated in on-campus residences to 536. In 1992, for the first time, Scarborough Campus became the U of T campus with the greatest number of applicants. Bladen Library established its first World Wide Web site in 1994. The Scarborough

Campus Women’s Centre also opened that year, and in 1995 Dr. Roberta Bondar, Canada’s first female astronaut in space, delivered the 25th anniversary Watts Lecture.

The campus took on its present name in 1996, when it became the University of Toronto at Scarborough, or UTSC. Initial plans for the Academic Resource Centre (ARC) were presented in 1998, and the building opened five years later with an inaugural lecture by CBC journalist Joe Schlesinger. Joan Foley Hall, the campus’s newest residence, also opened in 2003. In 2004 the Student Centre was opened, funded in part by a $20 million contribution made by the students
of UTSC, the largest financial commitment in University of Toronto history. The Doris McCarthy Gallery and the Management Building were also unveiled as UTSC celebrated its 40th anniversary. The following year also saw the opening of the Arts and Administration Building.

In 2010 two new departments were created – the Department of Philosophy and the Department of English – by a unanimous vote of the Council, bringing the total number of departments to nine. UTSC was awarded $70 million for the construction of a new Instructional Centre in 2009, as well as $170 million for a new athletics center that will be a legacy venue for the 2015 Pan-Am Games.

Wayman, Morris

  • Person

Professor of Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto.

MacDonald, J.W.

  • Person

Dean, Faculty of Education, 1981-1987

Ricker, J.C.

  • Person

Dean, Faculty of Education, 1975-1981

Associated Producers Ltd.

  • Corporate body
  • 1967 -

Associated Producers Ltd. was founded by Simcha Jacobovici and Elliott Halpern in 1983. As a writer, producer and on-air presence, Jacobovici has long been the company’s guiding force, and he also serves as the most visible media representative. Jacobovici was born in Israel in 1953. His parents, Joseph and Ida, were Romanian Holocaust survivors and Jacobovici and his sister were raised in a religious home. The family moved to Montreal when Jacobovici was nine, and he graduated from McGill University with an honours degree in philosophy in 1974. In 1978, Jacobovici enrolled in an MA program at the University of Toronto and while there became involved in activism (in 1979 he served as president of the International Congress of the World Union of Jewish Students, and in 1980 he was awarded the Knesset Medal for his Zionist work on North American campuses). He graduated in 1980 with a MA in international relations. Jacobovici had been interested in the problems of the Falasha (a community of Ethiopian Jews who were being persecuted in that country) since 1978, and in 1982 he secured funding from CBC’s Man Alive series to travel to Ethiopia and Sudan to document their plight. He was accompanied by former National Film Board of Canada director Peter Raymont and a production crew, and the film that they produced, Falasha: Exile of the Black Jews, was released in 1983. Following its release, the Israeli Knesset launched Operation Moses, the airlift of the Falasha to Israel. When Jacobovici began his next film, he realized that he needed a writer to produce the script. He ran into Elliot Halpern, whom he had known during his time at the University of Toronto (and where Halpern had served as the editor of The Varsity). Though he was by that time working as a lawyer, Halpern was convinced to write the script. The project was never completed, but the new production company, Associated Producers Ltd., would go on to great success.

Over the next several years, the company produced a number of well-regarded (and at times controversial) films. These included Deadly Currents, a two-hour feature documentary about the Palestinian Intifada that won a Genie Award for best feature-length documentary. In the 1990s, Associated Producers made several films on topical medical issues, including Plague Monkeys and Plague Fighters about the Ebola virus, and Frozen Hearts which explored the use of hypothermia during heart surgery. Jacobovici’s interest in Israeli and Judaic issues shaped later projects, such as Hollywoodism: Jews, Movies & the American Dream, Quest for the Lost Tribes, The Struma and Impact of Terror. In 1999, Associated Producers entered into a five-year agreement with England’s Yorkshire Films to co-produce new documentary series.

Halpern left the company in 2002 to form Yorkshire Associated Producers (YAP) while Jacobivici kept the original company. Associate Producers Ltd. also includes Producer/Director Ric Esther Bienstock and Producer Felix Golubev.

Galafilm Inc.

  • Corporate body
  • 1990 -

Galafilm Inc. was founded in Montreal in 1990 by Arnie Gelbart. Gelbart (who was born in Brussels and raised in Montreal) got his start in the film industry working as the Assistant Director on Luis Bunuel’s The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie in 1972. He subsequently honed his talents writing and co-writing various screenplays, including Montenegro, and serving as Assistant Director and Associate Producer of Dusan Makavejev’s Sweet Movie. From 1984 until 1990 he served as President of the production house Cleo 24, which he also co-founded.

Over the course of the company’s history, Galafilm has produced award-winning documentaries, television dramas, children’s programming, and feature films. Perhaps best known for its documentary productions, the company first came to prominence with its controversial three-part series The Valour and the Horror. Directed by Brian McKenna, the program dramatized the experience of Canadian soldiers in World War II. One episode, in which the moral and logistical exigency of the bombing of German cities instead of military targets, drew the ire of retired service men and resulted in a $500 million lawsuit (eventually settled in Galafilm’s favour). The series won three Gemini Awards.

Following on the success of The Valour and the Horror, Galafilm went on to produce a number of war documentaries from a Canadian perspective, including War at Sea (1995), Web of War (1995), and The War of 1812 (1999). The latter won a Gemini Award for Best Sound, and a Hot Docs award for Best Cinematography. Galafilm hasalso produced a number of historical documentaries on a variety of subjects including Canadian playwright Ted Allan, the riot surrounding the 1955 suspension of hockey star Maurice Richard, the history of the Vikings and the travails of a boat of Jewish refugees in 1939. They have also produced programs exploring science and technology and social topics.

Galafilm Inc. has won a variety of awards for its feature films, including three Genies for The Hanging Garden (1997), four Genies for Lilies (1996), and several international awards for Steel Toes (2006). Galafilm’s youth-oriented programming has had similar success, with 15 Love (2004) winning a Gemini for Best Writing and Fungus the Bogeyman (2004) winning two awards in the United Kingdom for Best Children’s Show. The company is notable for releasing all of its films in both French and English language versions.

O'Neill, Teresa V.

  • Person
  • 1920-2006

Teresa (Teasie or Tie) V. O’Neill was born in Warrenpoint, County Down, in 1920, the eighth child and third daughter of Patrick O’Neill and his second wife Brigid. Teresa studied at the University College of Dublin, where she graduated with her BA in History and English in 1941, her Honours Diploma in Education in 1942, and her MA, for which she was awarded First Class Honours in Modern Irish History, in 1943. After graduating, she moved back to Warrenpoint, where she taught at Sacred Heart Grammar School in Newry. In 1959 she married Arthur O’Neill and moved to Limerick (Republic of Ireland), where she taught at Ard Scoil Mhuire (St. Mary’s Grammar School) for about twenty years. Teresa also led tutorials at the University of Limerick and worked with professors at the University College of Dublin until the last few years of her life. Teresa V. O’Neill died in 2006 near Limerick.

O'Connor, John

  • Person
  • 1870-1952

John O'Connor was a Roman Catholic parish priest based in the town of Bradford, Yorkshire. Born on 5 December 1870 in Clonmel, County Tipperary, Ireland, O'Connor was educated by the Franciscans and Christian Brothers until the age of twelve, at which point he left for Douai in Flanders to study at the English Benedictine College. He later studied theology and philosophy at the English College in Rome. He was ordained at St. John Lateran on 30 March 1895. O'Connor served as curate at St. Joseph's in Bradford, England and later at St. Marie's, Halifax, West Vale and St. Anne's, Keighley. From 1909 to 1919 O'Conner was parish priest of Heckmondwike where he helped build the Church of the Holy Spirit. It was in Keighley that O'Connor met the writer G.K. Chesterton in 1904. He would later receive Chesterton into the Roman Catholic faith in 1922. O'Connor served as parish priest at St. Cuthbert's from 1919 until his death. In 1937 he was made Privy Chamberlain to His Holiness. In addition to Chesterton, O'Connor was also associated with the Catholic authors Hilaire Belloc, Maurice Baring and the typographer and engraver Eric Gill. O'Connor published poems, book reviews and prose in English Catholic periodicals and news papers, and also translated the work of French poet Paul Claudel, (including "The Satin Slipper" and "Ways and Crossways") and the philosopher Jacques Maritain's "Art et Scolastique".John O'Connor died in the Sisters' of Mercy Nursing Home at Horsforth on 6 Febraury 1952.

Watson, Sheila

  • Person
  • 1909-1998

Sheila Martin Watson (nee Doherty) was an author, teacher and professor of English, living between 1909 and 1998. Born in New Westminster, British Columbia on October 25 1909, Sheila was the second child of Dr. Charles Edward Doherty and Mary Ida Elwena Martin. Sheila attended St. Ann's Academy in Victoria, B.C. for her elementary and secondary schooling and attended the University of British Columbia, earning a B.A. Honours in English in 1931 and her Academic Teaching Certificate in 1932. In 1933 she received her M.A. in English, her thesis concerning Addison and Steele, editors of the eighteenth-century periodical "The Spectator." Watson would go on to teach in Dog Creek (1934-1935) in Cariboo Country and Langley Prairie High School (1936-1940) in the Fraser Valley and in Duncan on Vancouver Island from 1940-1941, where she met and married the poet and dramatist Wilfred Watson.Marrying December 29, 1941, Sheila remained in Mission City, in the Fraser Valley, where she taught from September 1941 to the spring of 1945. Wilfred remained in Vancouver, completing his undergraduate degree in 1943. Following World War II, the couple settled in Toronto, where Wilfred pursued his M.A. in English at the University of Toronto, while Sheila taught at Moulton Ladies College (1946-1949). The Watsons remained in Toronto from 1945-1948/49. From 1949-1951, Sheila taught at the University of British Columbia, and for the academic year of 1951/52 she taught at a public high school in Powell River, BC. Watson lived with her husband in Calgary from 1952-54, after which they briefly separated but then spent a year in Paris on a Royal Society of Canada fellowship between 1955-1956.Sheila returned to Toronto from September 1956 to August 1961 to pursue her Doctorate of Philosophy at the University of Toronto, supervised by Marshall McLuhan. Her thesis was titled "Wyndham Lewis and Expressionism." Sheila went on to teach at the University of Alberta as a Professor of English, teaching from 1961 to her retirement in August, 1975. From the early 1970s, Watson was a member of several juries of The Canada Council for arts grants and the Governor General's Awards for poetry and fiction. She and her husband moved to Nanaimo, B.C. in 1980, where she continued to advise former students and aspiring writers, and occasionally giving public readings of her work. She died Sunday, February 1, 1998. Watson is best known for her novel "The Double Hook", published in 1959, her series of short stories based around the character of Oedipus and her novel "Deep Hollow Creek", which was written in the 1930s but was not published until 1992, when it was nominated for a Governor General's Award for best new fiction. Watson was also co-founder of the literary journal "White Pelican."

Catholic New Times

  • Corporate body
  • 1975 - 2006

Catholic New Times was incorporated by letters patent in the Province of Ontario on December 13, 1976, with the object of promoting the advancement of religion in Canada particularly through the publication and distribution of a Roman Catholic newspaper. (More detailed descriptions of the vision, mission, and objectives of the corporation can be found among the records; see especially File 2007 02 1). A non-profit corporation, it was registered as a charitable organization in 1977. Catholic New Times neither had nor desired an official mandate from, or financial or contractual relationship with, any diocese, bishop, or conference of bishops or any other Catholic institution. Rather, through the publication of the Catholic New Times, it sought to be an alternative and independent Catholic voice in Canada, speaking about local, national, and international news and issues of concern to Catholics. The newspaper was published bi-weekly (20 issues per year) in Toronto from December 2, 1976 to November 26, 2006, at which time paper closed due to declining financial support. Catholic New Times Inc. initially operated using a “collective model ” that consisted of three main groupings: office staff who ran the paper, a working group (“the Collective”) that met bi-weekly to plan issues and set editorial and general policy, and the editorial group (which included staff) that met weekly to generate stories and determine the details of each issue. By September 1982, committees composed of collective members, staff, and volunteers had emerged to handle particular needs: promotion, finance, personnel, and editorial. In 1989 to 1990, the corporation underwent a structural reorganization to form a Membership Group of 25-30 people who then elected a Publishing Group of about 10 people from among themselves. The Membership Group met twice a year, with the business conducted at the fall meeting; the Publishing Group, which also acted as the Board of Directors, met with the editor 10 times per year. Members also sat on one of four committees (Editorial, Finance, Human resources, and Marketing) that met according to its specific needs. When the Catholic New Times ceased publication in November 2006, the Publishing Group decided to retain the incorporated status and the basic governance structures of New Catholic Times in order to remain open to possibilities for future publications. It also decided to maintain the website (www.catholicnewtimes.org) for as long as it is able, as of July 2014 the website is no longer available.

Pounder, I.R.

  • Person

Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, University of Toronto.

Dadson, D.F.

  • Person
  • 1913-1995

Dean, Faculty of Education, 1963-1973

Results 101 to 150 of 4909