Showing 5701 results

People and organizations

Nobel, Mable N.

  • Person
  • [19--]

Mable N. Nobel was the daughter of Percy G.B. Westmacott who served a nurse with the Red Cross
during World War I.

Westmacott, Percy G.B.

  • Person
  • 1830-1917

Percy G.B. Westmacott (1830-1917) was a British mechanical engineer. He began work as a draughtsman at the Elswick Ordnance Company, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, in 1851, and in 1859 was responsible for technical management of the engine works at Elswick as well as for contributions to the hydraulic lifting machinery department. In 1864 he became a partner of Sir W.G. Armstrong and Co., then managing director in 1882. Sir. W.G. Armstrong and Co. was a major British manufacturing company that built armaments, ships, locomotives, automobiles and aircraft. Westmacott then became involved in bridge building, helping to design swing bridges on the Ouse and Tyne rivers, as well as working on the principle docks on the Thames in South Wales and other part of the country.

Stewart, Kathleen Innes

  • Person
  • 1908-2003

Kathleen Innes Stewart was born 9 April 1908 in London, England as the oldest child of George and Louise Stewart. Her father soon moved the family to Cleveland, Ohio, where he headed at the H.K Cushing Laboratory for Experimental Medicine at Western Reserve University. In 1922, the family – now including Kathleen and her three younger brothers – moved to Toronto, where Kathleen attended Havergal College. She later attended University College at the University of Toronto, and graduated in 1928 before leaving on an eleven month trip through Europe with her close friend, Kathleen Sutton. George Stewart died in 1930, and Louise Stewart died in 1933, leaving Kathleen to care for her younger brothers. Kathleen Stewart married James Fitz-Randolph Crowe in 1935, and they travelled across the United States and Canada performing in theatres together under the stage names Kathleen and Norman Roland; including the opening season of the Stratford Festival. Kathleen wrote cookbooks for additional income and worked for the Canadian National Film Board during the Second World War. She worked on the stage until the 1960s, whereupon she became a social worker in New York City. She died in New York in 2003 at the age of 95.

Ronald Arthur Ward

  • Person
  • 1908 - 1986

Rev. Canon Dr. Ronald Arthur Ward (1908 - 9 July, 1986) was born in Hertfordshire, England, hailing from a family of preachers. Originally a Classics scholar, Ward parlayed his knowledge into becoming a New Testament scholar, graduating from London University with Bachelor of Divinity (1934), Master of Arts, and Doctor of Divinity degrees. His Ph.D thesis was entitled, "The Aristotelian Element in the Philosophical Vocabulary of the New Testament." After ordination, Rev. Ward took a Curacy in South-East England, and was appointed Tutor of London College of Divinity, where he taught briefly.

He immigrated to Canada in 1951, where he was charged with the Church of the Messiah (240 Avenue Road, Toronto), and became a staff member of Upper Canada College. The following year, Rev. Ward took a position as professor of New Testament at Wycliffe College, a position he held from 1952 until 1963. Beginning in 1955, he held the position of Examining Chaplain to the Bishop of Toronto. Rev. Ward held Canadian citizenship for more than 30 years; his other activities included preaching at noon-hour Lenten service in St. James Anglican Cathedral, Toronto, located at King and Church.

Rev. Ward was a prolific scholar, even when not at his academic post at Upper Canada College or Wycliffe College. He went on a mission to Jamaica from 1958-1960, spoke at interdenominational conferences and committees, published several articles, authored 12 books, and acted as editor or Evangelical Christian from 1959 to c.1967.

In 1963, Rev. Ward briefly returned to England, spent a year travelling through Europe and Asia, and next lectured and preached in Australia and New Zealand. He returned again to England, and became rector of the Ellingham and Kirby Cane churches in the Anglican diocese of Norwich.

In 1969, Ward relocated to New Brunswick, were he was rector of St. John’s Stone Anglican Church, and rural dean of Saint John for eight years prior to retiring in 1975. Ward was well-known in Saint John for his many public speaking engagements and his appearances on local television station CHSJ’s programme Destination. In September 1984, Rev. Ward went on an eastern Arctic mission to Povungnituk, and Sugluk, in northern Quebec, and Cape Dorset in the Northwest Territories.

In 1985, Rev. Ward continued his scholasticism. A member of the International Society of New Testament studies, Rev. Ward lectured at the Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Banockburn, Illinois, in 1985.

For the last eleven years of his life, Rev. Ward lived in St. Stephen, New Brunswick, with his wife, Evelyn (Powell) Ward (b. December 1906). The couple married in September, 1933, and had three children, Phillip, John, and Timothy.

William Thompson Hallam

  • Person
  • 1878-1956

Rt. Revd. William Thompson Hallam was born in Derby, England on March 4, 1878, the son of Thomas Hallam, of Leicester, England. He came to Canada with his parents in 1887 and settled in London, Ontario. His early education was at the London College Institute. After training to become a teacher, Hallam received his Ontario public school teaching certificate in 1896. He then studied Classics at Dalhousie University, graduating with a BA honours in 1901. It was there that Hallam also met his future wife Lillian Hallam (née Best), a fellow classics student. After graduating, Hallam moved back to Ontario and was appointed a deacon in the Church of England in 1903. He graduated from Wycliffe College in 1904 and was ordained by the Archbishop of Toronto the same year. His first appointments were curate at St. Paul’s Church in Lindsay (1903-05), incumbent in Cannington and Beaverton, Ontario (1905-07), and assistant at All Saints’ Church in Toronto (1907-08). Hallam received his BD from Wycliffe College in 1908 and accepted a position at the college as a professor of New Testament History, which he held from 1909 to 1922. During this period he continued his studies and obtained his DD from the college in 1916. Hallam also served as the editor of the Canadian Churchman, the national journal of the Church of England in Canada, from 1918 to 1922, when he accepted a position as the principal of Emmanuel College in Saskatoon. He remained the principal of the college as well as sub-dean of St. John’s Cathedral, Saskatoon, until 1927. In January of that year, shortly before leaving his position at Emmanuel College, Hallam delivered a series of lectures as part of the Laurie Memorial Trust at King’s College, Halifax. He then moved back to Ontario in the summer of 1927 to take up the position of rector at the Church of the Ascension in Hamilton. In 1931 Hallam was elected Bishop of the diocese of Saskatchewan and moved back to Saskatoon. Shortly thereafter, the diocese was divided and Hallam became the Bishop of the diocese of Saskatoon, a position he held for the following 17 years until his retirement in 1949. During this period, Hallam travelled widely across Saskatchewan and the rest of Canada as well as to the United Kingdom in late 1935 and early 1936 and again in the summer of 1948, when he attended the 8th Lambeth Conference in London. In 1945 he was awarded an honorary LL.D from the University of Saskatchewan. After retiring as First Bishop of Saskatoon, Hallam moved back to Ontario and continued his ordained ministry in the position of Assistant Bishop of the diocese of Huron. In 1949 he also resumed his academic career and accepted a professorship of apologetics and practical theology at Huron College, London, where he additionally served as the Dean of Divinity. In 1952 Hallam’s book, The Victory of Faith: A Study in Christian Missions, was published by the Church of England in Canada. He died in London, Ontario, on July 25, 1956.

Hallam’s first wife, Lillian, was born in the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, and raised in Halifax. She studied classics at Dalhousie University and graduated with BA honours. She also obtained a MA from King’s University, Halifax. Throughout the career of W.T. Hallam, Lillian Hallam was active in a number of associations, including the Woman’s Auxilary, the Local Council of Woman, the Canadian Club, the Home and School Association, and the Council of Friendship. She also wrote a book entitled When You Are In Halifax: Sketches of Life in the First English Settlement in Canada, which was published by Church Book Room in 1937. Lillian died in 1939. Hallam later remarried Kathleen Hallam (née Coggs). W.T. Hallam and Lillian Hallam had three children: two sons, Beverley and Cyril, and one daughter, Isabelle Hallam Whitley.

Bruce, George Nigel

  • Person

Rev. Dr. George Nigel Bruce began his studies at the University of Toronto in 1864. He later went on to establish St. Andrew's College in the former home of Sir David Macpherson at Chestnut Park, Toronto in 1899. Dr. Bruce acted as the school's first headmaster from 1899-1990 before stepping down due to illness.

Carland, John M.

  • Person
  • 1942-

Dr. John Michael Carland (b. 1942) is an author, professor, and former historian for the United States Department of State.

Carland grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas. He received an undergraduate degree in political science and history from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock and an M.A. in political science from the City College of New York. Afterwards, Carland pursued doctoral work under the supervision of Archibald Paton Thornton at the University of Toronto. He received is Ph.D. in 1977 for his thesis, Colonial Office Staff and Nigeria: 1898 to 1914.

From 1985 to 2002, Carland worked as a historian the U.S. Army Center of Military History as where he became a subject specialist on US Army operations in the Vietnam War. He then moved to the Office of the Historian at United States Department of State where he remained until 2013. Carland has also taught at the University of Kentucky and George Mason University on topics such as Imperial, English, Canadian history as well as the history of the Vietnam War.

Carland has published works related to militaries, imperial history, and the Vietnam War, including: The Colonial Office and Nigeria, 1898–1914 (1985); Combat Operations: Stemming the Tide, May 1965–October 1966 (2000); Vietnam, January--October 1972 (2010); Vietnam, October 1972–January 1973 (2010); and Vietnam: The Kissinger-Le Duc Tho Negotiations, August 1969–December 1973 (2017).

Rakoff, Vivian M.

  • Person
  • 1928-2020

Dr. Vivian Morris Rakoff is a noted psychiatrist who served as Chair of the University of Toronto Department of Psychiatry and Psychiatrist-in-Chief of the Clarke Institute of Psychiatry from 1980 to 1990. Dr. Rakoff’s research has pertained to a wide range of issues, including alcoholism, childhood and adolescence, family dynamics, obesity, and the challenges faced by children of Holocaust survivors. He has also co-authored and co-edited a number of general textbooks and clinical handbooks for students and practitioners.

Dr. Rakoff was born on April 28 1928 in Cape Town, South Africa and received his BA (1947) and MA (1949) from the University of Cape Town. He then moved to England, where he received an MBBS from the University of London (1957), at which point he joined the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of London and England and returned to Cape Town as a Senior Intern in Neurology and Psychiatry and Psychiatric Resident at Groote Schuur Hospital.

Dr. Rakoff married a physician, Dr. Gina Shochat-Rakoff, and they had 3 children: Simon (1960-), Ruth (1962-) and David (1964-2012).

Dr. Rakoff moved to Montreal and received a diploma in Psychological Medicine from McGill University (1963) and became a member of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in 1964. He worked in the Department of Psychiatry at the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal, becoming Staff Psychiatrist (1963), Assistant Director of Research (1965), and Director of Research (1967). During this time, he also worked in the department of Psychiatry at McGill University, as a Lecturer (1964), Assistant Professor (1966), Associate Professor and Director of Postgraduate Education (1968-1971), and Professor and Director of Postgraduate Education (1971-1974). He then moved to Toronto to become the Coordinator of Education at the Clarke Institute (1977) and Head of the Department of Psychiatry at Sunnybrook Medical Centre (1978).

In 1980, he became Professor and Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Toronto and Director and Psychiatrist-in-Chief of the Clarke Institute of Psychiatry (a position he held until 1990). He received an honorary degree from the University of Toronto in 2008 and was appointed as a Member of The Order of Canada in 2015. The Rakoff Centre for Positron Emission Tomography at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health is named in his honour.

Dr. Rakoff is also the author of a number of plays, radio plays, poems, and essays. He has appeared on radio and television programs to discuss problems of current concern, most particularly as a regular contributor to CBC Ideas. Dr. Rakoff is also a prolific sketcher.

He died on October 1, 2020 in his home in Toronto at the age of 92.

McPhedran, Marie Green Duncan

  • Person
  • 1900-1974

Marie McPhedran was born in Sault Ste. Marie in 1900 and had attended University College for the academic year 1921-1922, before leaving for Normal School to help put her brothers through university. In 1927 she married Gordon George Duncan, captain of the Varsity intercollegiate football champion team in 1921 and a 1923 graduate in mining engineering. In the latter year he was appointed field engineer for the Mining Corporation of Canada in the new mining town of Flin Flon, Manitoba. At the time of his marriage he was in charge of exploration work for the Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Company. Marie was one of the first women to live there, and it was her experiences during these happy years that she drew on in writing her first book, Golden North. About 1928 Gordon made the first aerial flight into Bathurst Inlet. In 1929 he became director of field operations for the Northern Aerial Mining Exploration Company. He died in April, 1932. Having lost one kidney from a football injury, he succumbed when the other became tubercular. He was survived by his wife and a daughter, Kittie-Marie.

By the time she married Harris McPhedran in 1926, Marie was already writing short stories and had recently had published one about her experiences in the north. Over the next decade she wrote a large number of short stories for children, for which she had difficulty finding publishers. Her breakthrough came with her first novel, Golden North, the runner-up for the 1948 Governor-General's Award for juvenile fiction. Other books followed, including Cargoes on the Great Lakes, for which she won the 1952 Governor-General's Award. Later she began work on a biography of Jeanne Mance, but never completed it. She died on 1 September, 1974.

Primitive Entertainment

  • Corporate body
  • 1990-Present

Primitive Entertainment (formerly, Primitive Features) was formed in January 1990 by brothers Kevin and Michael McMahon. Previously, Michael had worked as an editor for Canadian ‘B’ movie production company SC Entertainment. Kevin had been a journalist at the “St. Catharine’s Standard” but became interested in making feature films, and attended film school in Bristol, England.
Primitive’s feature documentaries and series often focus on the intersections between the environment, human culture, history, and technology. The brothers’ first film with their new company was “The Falls”, a meditation on their hometown of Niagara Falls, Ontario. It debuted at TIFF in 1991 to critical praise and received a Genie for Best Feature Length Documentary that year. Primitive’s next projects were “Deserts,” a massive film project for a multimedia museum exhibition (which unfortunately never came to fruition), “In the Reign of Twilight,” a feature documentary about the militarization of the Arctic and its effects on the Inuit, and “Intelligence,” a documentary film exploring different ideas and meanings of intelligence. “Twilight” received a Gemini Award for Best History Documentary Program, while “Intelligence,” received a Gemini nomination for Best Direction in a Documentary.
Documentary programs and series made for television followed, including “Cod: The Fish That Changed the World,” (hosted by Mary Walsh), “Truth Merchants,” and “Lifting the Shadow.” Primitive’s “Ancestors in the Attic” – a series which featured people exploring their family history through genealogy – aired for four seasons on History Television in Canada, while their “Things That Move” – a series that explored the social and technological histories of all kinds of moving vehicles – aired for four season on The Discovery Channel. Primitive also continued to produce acclaimed feature documentaries, including “McLuhan’s Wake,” a richly layered film about the life and works of Marshall McLuhan. The films “Waterlife” and “Four Wings and Prayer” gave viewers insight into the waters of the Great Lakes and the migration routes of monarch butterflies respectively. “The Face of Victory,” co-produced with Barna-Alper Productions, stitched together thousands of archival photographs and audio, and documented the jubilation and the horror at the end of WWII.
Over their more than 30 years in business, Michael McMahon has overseen the company’s project selection, as well as the financing and distribution of productions, while Kevin McMahon has focused on directing. Their films have been screened at TIFF, Berlin, Hot Docs, and SXSW, while their programs have been broadcast on CBC, TVO, Discovery, NHK, ZDF, and others. The company has received over 50 awards for their work, and they continue to produce thought provoking series and documentaries to this day.

Franceschetti, Antonio

  • Person
  • 1939-2021

Antonio Franceschetti (13 October 1939 – 11 May 2021) was Professor Emeritus in Italian Studies at both the University of Toronto, St. George Campus, and the University of Toronto Scarborough. A scholar in literature, he published extensively on Italian literature and poetry from the Middle Ages to the 19th century, with particular focus on works from the Renaissance and Baroque periods, and on Italian Canadian writing and culture.

Franceschetti was born in Padua, Italy. He studied at the University of Padua where he received his Dottore in Lettere in 1963. His thesis, L’Arcadia e la ricerca di un nuovo linguaggio, was the first of many papers he wrote on Sir Philip Sidney’s Arcadia. Franceschetti began teaching at the University of Reading in 1964 and lectured in Italian at Barnard College, Columbia University from 1964 to 1969. During this time, he also received his PhD in Italian (1968) from Columbia University. His thesis, Per una lettura dell’Orlando Innamorato, formed the basis of a significant portion of his later research and writing.

In 1969, Franceschetti was hired as an assistant professor of Italian at Scarborough College, University of Toronto. He was promoted to Associate Professor in 1978 and Professor at the St. George campus in 1995, when he became acting head of the department. Professor Franceschetti lectured at universities and other institutions in Canada, the United States, Italy, England, France, Yugoslavia, Belgium, Denmark, Switzerland, Hungary and Poland. In the year before his retirement in 2004, he taught as a visiting professor at the Ca' Foscari University of Venice.

At the University of Toronto, Professor Franceschetti taught numerous courses in Italian at the undergraduate and graduate level on the St. George and Scarborough campuses. He has also held numerous administrative positions: In the 1970s, he was Discipline Representative for Italian studies at Scarborough College and at various times in the 1970s and the 1980s, a member of the Senior Committee and the Scholarly Initiatives Committee (chair, 1989-1991) in the Department of Italian Studies. In the late 1990s and early 2000s, he served as a member of the Promotion and Tenure Committee of the department. In these years he was frequently also a member of the Graduate Admissions, Fellowship and Awards Committee, and the Goggio Committee. Between 2001 and 2002, he served as a member of the Conference and Research Grants Committee and Supervisor of Reading Knowledge Examinations in Italian, and a member of the Committee on Faculty Appointments at the Toronto School of Theology.

Professor Franceschetti was very active as an editor and member of multiple professional associations. His interest in Dante was reflected his term as secretary of the Società Dantesca Italiana from 1961-1963 and president of the Dante Society of Toronto from 1971-1974. He held numerous administrative positions in the Associazione Internazionale per gli Studi di Lingua e Litteratura Intaliana (AISSLI): he was a member of the organizing committee of its conferences in New York (1973), Toronto (1985), Odense, Italy (1993) and Turin (1994), a member of its executive board (1976-1982, 1994-2003), vice-president (1982-1985, 1991-1994) and co-president (1985-1988). At the Canadian Society for Italian Studies (CSIS), he was president from 1980-1982 and has chaired various sections at a number of its conferences. He served as associate editor of its journal, Quaderni d’italianistica, from 1985 to 1989 and editor from 1990 to 1999.

Franceschetti served as a member of the publications committees of the Humanities Research Council of Canada (1977-1980) and the Canadian Federation for the Humanities (1980-1983). He served on the latter’s board of directors for 1982-1983. In 1980-1981, he sat on the advisory board of the Canadian Academic Centre in Italy of the newly established Canadian Mediterranean Institute. In 1982-1983, he was regional representative for Canada at the American Boccaccio Association. He chaired a section at the conferences of the American Association of University Professors of Italian (now the American Association of Italian Studies) and the annual Symposium on Italian Canadiana in Toronto (1988 and 1989). He also helped organize or chair sessions at a number of other international conferences, including commemorating the sixth centennial of the death of Petrarch (Washington, 1974), ‘Italian literature in North America: pedagogical studies’ (Toronto, 1989), ‘La litteratura dell’emigrazione de lingua italiana nel mondo’ (Lausanne, 1990), the 500th anniversary of the death of M. M. Boiardo (New York, 1994), and two conferences on Pirandello (Toronto, 1994 and 1997).

Professor Franceschetti published a book on Matteo Maria Boiardo’s Orlando Innamorato (1975), edited the three-volume proceedings of the 1985 Toronto conference on Letteratura italiana e arti figurative (1988), and co-edited and co-translated La Moschetta by Angelo Beolo (Ruzante) (1993).

Professor Franceschetti died on May 11, 2021.

Branfill, Benjamin Aylett

  • Person
  • 1828-1899

Colonel Benjamin Aylett Branfill was an artist, remembered especially for his enormous founding contributions and pioneering influence to the art scene in the late nineteenth century in Nelson, New Zealand. He was a well-known illustrator and was published in T.L Wilson’s History and Topography of Upminster (1880).

He was born on 26 February 1828 to Champion and Anne (nee Hammond) Branfill in Upminster, England. Benjamin was the fourth child of eight. He spent his childhood at Upminster Hall, a fifteenth-century Estate home that had been the ancestral home of his family since 1685. He was educated at Forest School in Walthamstow. Within the span of a year, between 1843 and 1844, Benjamin would lose both his brother, Egerton, and his father of illness. On the 5 April 1846, at the age of 18, he joined the 10th Royal Hussars Cavalry regiment (Prince of Wales’ Own) at the rank of Cornet, but quickly rose to the rank of Lieutenant by 1847. He traveled to India with the regiment in 1846 and then to the Crimea in 1855. Upon returning to England in June 1856, he married Mary Anna Miers on 1 July 1857 at Cheltenham and they had 8 children: Champion Edward (b. 1858), Capel Aylett (b. 1859), Mary Leigh (b. 1860), Ethel Aylett (b. 1862), Helen Hammond (b. 1863), Egerton Brydges (b. 1864, d. 1866), Francis Lisle (b. 1865), and Benjamin (b. 1871). On 6 May 1859, he was assigned Deputy Assistant Quartermaster General (DAQMG) in Ireland and lived in Dublin until 1864. From 1864 to 1881, he traveled widely, making trips to Gibraltar, Cape Town, and Mauritius, as well as having extended postings in Bermuda (May 1873- March 1874) and India (1875-1876). He retired as a Lieutenant-Colonel in October 1877. He inherited Upminster Hall in 1873 and resided there with his family after his retirement. In 1881, he immigrated to New Zealand and settled in Nelson. Once there, he became an art instructor and critic for the Bishopdale Sketching Club. In New Zealand, Branfill’s life focused primarily on art, religious study, music, horticulture and photography. He died 4 January 1899 at the age of 70.

Esprit Orchestra

  • Corporate body
  • 1983-

Founded in 1983 by Music Director and Conductor, Alex Pauk, with financial assistance from Canada Council and Suncor Inc., Esprit Orchestra is Canada's only full-sized, professional orchestra devoted to performing and promoting new orchestral music. It was known as Esprit Contemporain from 1983 to 1986.

They gave their first concert on August 19, 1983 in Kingston, Ontario with the National Youth Orchestra, featuring works by Serge Garant and Alexina Louie, and premiering two commissioned works: Alchemies by John Burke and Vanishing Points by John Rea.

The orchestra, based in Toronto, commissions and premieres new Canadian works and ensures continued public access to this material via repeat performances, audio and film recordings, radio broadcasts, and national and international tours. Their concert programs also regularly feature Canadian premieres of music by leading international composers. As of 2023, the orchestra consists of 65 members. Esprit's annual subscription series consists of three to five concerts per season, held at Toronto's St. Lawrence Centre and at Koerner Hall, University of Toronto.

In addition to their commitment to new music, Esprit is dedicated to working with the next generation of new music professionals, with mentorship and outreach programs, lectures, open rehearsals, and the annual New Wave Composers Festival that celebrates young Canadian artists.

Esprit has received several awards, including three Lieutenant Governor’s Arts Awards (1996, 1998, 2000), the Jean A. Chalmers National Music Award (1995), the Vida Peene Award and the SOCAN Award for Imaginative Orchestral Programming (1990).

Millgate, Jane

  • Person
  • 1937-2019

Jane Millgate (1937-2019) was a writer and Professor Emeritus at the University of Toronto. She was educated at the universities of Leeds and Kent at Canterbury and taught at Victoria College in the English Department at the University of Toronto from 1964-1997. From 1982-87 she was Vice-Dean of Arts and Science. She is the author of Macaulay (1973), Walter Scott: The Making of the Novelist (1984), and Scott’s Last Edition: A Study in Publishing History (1987). This last work, an examination of the creation of Scott’s magnum opus edition, was awarded the British Academy’s Crawshay Prize in 1988. In addition, she edited a volume of essays, Editing Nineteenth-Century Fiction (1978), and wrote numerous articles on American, English, and Scottish literature as well as on the History of the Book.

Professor Millgate was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1986 and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1994. She served on numerous editorial boards, including Dalhousie Review, Victorian Review, the Papers of the Bibliographical Society of Canada, English Studies in Canada, and the Collected Works of Northrop Frye. She was a member of the advisory board for the Edinburgh Edition of the Waverley Novels and one of the founders of the Toronto Centre for the Book. Her Union Catalogue of the Correspondence of Sir Walter Scott, comprising over 14000 records for letters from and to Scott, is published by the National Library of Scotland.

Jane Millgate died in Toronto in 2019.

Emmanuel College (Toronto, Ont.). Principal’s Office

  • Corporate body
  • 1928-

The Principal's Office was created in 1928 when Emmanuel College was founded. The College was established as a result of the formation of The United Church of Canada in 1925 and formed with the intention of continuing the tradition of theological education established earlier by Canadian Methodists and Presbyterians. The Principal is head of the College, and thus responsible for its academic program, life and work.

List of Principals:
Alfred Gandier (1928-1932)
Richard Davidson (1932-1943)
Frederick Langford (1943-1945)
Alexander Dawson Matheson (1945-1956)
Kenneth Harrington Cousland (1956-1963)
Earl S. Lautenschlager (1963-1971)
William O. Fennell (1971-1981)
Douglas Jay (1981-1990)
John Hoffman (1990-1996)
Roger Hutchinson (1996-2001)
Samuel Peter Wyatt (2001-2008)
Mark G. Toulouse (2009-2017)
Phyllis D. Airhart (Interim - 2017-2018)
Michelle Voss Roberts (2018-2021)
John H. Young (Interim - 2021-2022)
HyeRan Kim-Cragg (2022-present)

Sloane, John Andrews

  • UTA 2012
  • Person
  • 1940-

Dr. John Andrews Sloane, born September 20, 1940, is a Canadian Psychiatrist and Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine. He maintains a private practice emphasizing intensive long-term psychotherapy and psychoanalysis.

Grigsby, Wayne

  • 2022.023
  • Person
  • 1947 - present

Wayne Grigsby was born in 1947 in Calgary, Alberta, and is an award-winning Canadian writer and producer. Grigsby started his career in writing as a journalist, mainly in the arts and entertainment sector, for many publications such as Maclean’s magazine and the Globe and Mail. Grigsby was also one of the founders of Big Motion Pictures, a film and television production company that focuses on scripted drama for distribution on all platforms. Launched by Wayne Grigsby and David MacLeod in 1999, Big Motion Pictures produced content, such as the multiple Gemini award-winning mini-series Trudeau: The Man, The Myth, The Movie (2002) and the international hit mini-series Sex Traffic. Grigsby is also well-known for his work on the series North of 60 (1992), E.N.G. (1989), and Snakes & Ladders (2004).

The Toronto Film Society

  • 2017.009
  • Corporate body
  • 1948 - Present

The Toronto Film Society (TFS) is one of Canada’s oldest non-profit film organizations. The TFS was established later when in 1934, the National Film Society in Ottawa was founded, prompting many other film societies to come up in cities all over Canada. One of those film societies was the Vancouver Branch of the National Film Society of Canada organized in 1936. Members of the Vancouver branch were Dorothy and Oscar Burritt. Dorothy, Oscar Burritt, and a group of dedicated film enthusiasts established the Toronto Film Study Group (TFSG) in 1948, eventually becoming the TFS. The TFS is an organization meant to preserve, restore, and meet the demand for films from Canadian and international films. Some films incorporated into the TFS vast collection were once banned, independent, fringe sound and silent films. The new TFSG launched with a 1948 summer series that continues today. Now the TFS does various events such as the annual summer series, BUF series and study group. TFS also partners with the Toronto International Film Festival and other international film festivals.

Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer. Office of the Camp Wardens

  • Corporate body

The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer, also known as the Kipling Ritual, or the Iron Ring Ceremony, is a private ceremony to initiate newly qualified engineers to the social and ethical responsibilities of the profession. The text for the ceremony was written by Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936) in 1922, at the request of Professor Herbert Edward Terrick Haultain (1869-1961), and was adapted in consultation with several past-presidents of the Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC) for use in the first ceremonies held in Montreal and Toronto in 1925. Integral to the Ritual is the wearing of the iron ring, which is worn on the little finger of the writing hand, as a reminder of the engineer’s sworn professional obligation.

The issue of creating a graduation ritual for new engineers was first presented at the 36th annual meeting of the EIC, held 25 January 1922, in Montreal, Quebec. As the luncheon speaker at the meeting, Professor Haultain gave a talk entitled “The Romance of Engineering”, after which he suggested the development of an oath, in the form of the Hippocratic Oath, but for engineers. The idea was an extension of Haultain’s involvement with the transformation of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineers into the EIC in 1918, a transformation that sought to formalize the licensing process of engineers, while increasing their professional and public standing.

The difficulty of drafting an appropriate ritual led Haultain to correspond with Kipling for help with authoring a text. Kipling showed considerable interest in the idea and drafted the initial ceremony, which was formalized, after considerable consultation between Haultain and the seven past presidents of the EIC. These seven would ultimately become co-opted as the original Corporation of Seven Wardens by the authority of their seniority in the profession. They were John Morrice Roger Fairbairn (1873-1954), George Herrick Duggan (1862-1946), Phelps Johnson (1849-1926), George Alphonso Mountain (1861-1927), Robert Alexander Ross (d.1936), William Francis Tye (1861-1932) and Henry Hague Vaughan (1868-1942). Fairbairn was the original chairman, or Chief Warden, of this governing body.

The first “ceremony”, also referred to as a “preliminary rehearsal”, was held on 25 April 1925, in Montreal. Ross, acting as the Senior Supervising Engineer (SSE), administered the obligation to himself and Fairbairn, as well as Harold Rolph, Norman M. Lash, Jim M. Robertson and John Chalmers, all graduates of the class of 1893 from the University of Toronto. In Toronto on 1 May 1925, fourteen officers of the University of Toronto Alumni Association were obligated in the Senate Chambers of the University of Toronto by the newly obligated senior engineers from Montreal. This ceremony was followed on the same day by another in which the University’s graduating class of 107 engineering students was obligated.

Kipling envisoned a camp ritual, a gathering in the spirit of camaraderie. The original Wardens of Camp One subsequently established a formal structure to administer the Ritual in Toronto. This was confirmed on 22 February 1926, by correspondence between Fairbairn and Robert John Marshall (1884-1970). The original Camp Wardens were Haultain, Marshall, William D. Black (d.1961), Arthur D’Orr LePan (1885-1976), Charles E. MacDonald, Thomas H. Hogg, and William A. Burke. The full names of the original Wardens of the first nine Camps are listed following the Administrative history.

Camp One’s authority to administer the Ritual was confirmed when it was issued the Book of Authority by Fairbairn in 1927; it included the full text of the Kipling Ritual. Although the Ritual could be said to have originated with Haultain, he took no more than an informal role in the ceremonies because of his conviction that the ceremony should be conducted by working engineers. Students should not associate the ceremonies with the awarding of academic credentials. From its inception, attendance at the Ritual has been voluntary and does not confer any professional qualifications on the wearer of the ring.

The iron rings were initially made from puddled wrought iron, sometimes called cold iron, hand-hammered by convalescing First World War veterans at the Christie Street Military Hospital, under the care of the Military Hospitals Commission which became the Department of Soldiers’ Civil Re-establishment (DSCR). Haultain had a longstanding association with the DSCR; he arranged for the rings to be manufactured and delivered to the various camps. After 1948 the responsibility for their manufacture was taken over by the Corporation of the Seven Wardens, based in Montreal. Camp One continued to manufacture its own rings, considering them to be Ancient Landmarks. While many members still wear a rough iron ring, most of the rings manufactured today are made from stainless steel.

Kipling regarded the ring as a symbol. It is rough, not smoothed, and hammered by hand as, in the words of Kipling, “the young have all their hammering coming to them.” The ring has no beginning or end. Kipling’s use of cold iron as a symbolic metal for the Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer stems from his interest in iron as a metal of power and a symbol of human innovation. Likewise, the Ancient Landmarks upon which the obligation is taken are made of cold iron of “honourable tradition” without inscription. Landmarks have typically included anvils, chains and hammers. A frequently circulated myth about the iron rings is that they were made from the pieces of the collapsed Pont de Quebec Bridge that killed 76 people in 1907. The rings, however, have always been made from commercial sources. While the Ritual is not a secret initiation, tradition has called for the ceremony to be private and has been solemnized by its not being publicized. The ceremony is conducted at each university by obligated engineers for students who are about to graduated from an accredited engineering program. In Camp One only family members and friends who themselves are obligated may attend and participate as ring presenters. Persons with foreign education who are professional engineers in Canada may apply to be obligated at a special ceremony known as the “Seniors Ceremony”.

The Kipling Ritual was registered in Ottawa on 5 June 1926, under copyright number 6831. Obligation certificates have been printed and given out at or after the ceremony since 1927. The “Hymn of Breaking Strain”, a poem written by Rudyard Kipling, was at times recited as a homily at the end of the Ritual to be delivered by the SSE. Kipling had intended the Wardens to own the copyright of the poem but that plan proved legally impractical and instead it was assigned to himself and published in The Engineer in 1935 to secure the rights. Kipling’s poem “The Sons of Martha” was written in 1907 and has also been recited as a homily. The Corporation of the Seven Wardens was incorporated as the custodial organization and administrative body of the Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer, under federal letters patent on 18 March 1938. The Ritual was officially registered in the United States in 1941. Miniature obligation cards were given to obligating engineers as portable keepsakes in 1943, at the suggestion of Harold Johnston, the secretary of Camp Seven in Halifax. The trademark for the ring design was registered in 1961 in Canada and 1965 in the United States.

Attempts have been made to make the Ritual available outside of Canada. Some Wardens felt that the Ritual to be extended to engineers in Commonwealth countries and in the United States. Some wardens have rejected numerous attempts to adapt the ceremony for other jurisdictions outside of Canada. Nonetheless, certain highly distinguished foreign engineers have taken the obligation in Canada, upon the invitation of the Chief Warden.

Kipling was opposed to such extension. He wrote “I did it for the Canadians and with the Canadians I wish it to remain.” Within Canada, the Iron Ring Ceremony has become immensely popular. By 2007 twenty-five camps located in every region of the country serving the needs of thirty-eight university campuses. The text of the Ritual has been translated into French as “L’engagement de l’ingenieur”, as have the poems “The Sons of Martha” and the “Hymn of Breaking Strain”, both of which are included in the French ceremony as in the English. Camp One has expanded its reach beyond the University of Toronto, so that it now serves Ryerson University (added in 1992), York University and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (both added in 2007).

The Order of the Engineer in the United States has modelled an obligation ceremony on the Canadian Ritual. The U.S. camps are called “Links”. Candidates wear plain stainless steel rings to show that they have been obligated. This programme was approved by the American Society of Civil Engineers in 2003 and has been condoned by the Corporation of the Seven Wardens. Though the ceremony bears little resemblance to the Kipling Ritual, the American ceremony clearly acknowledges its Canadian origin.


  • Camp 1 (1925): William D. Black, William A. Bucke, Herbert E.T. Haultain, Thomas H. Hogg, Arthur D'Orr LePan, Charles A. MacDonald, Robert J. Marshall
  • Camp 2 (1926): DeGaspé Beaubien, F.B. Brown, N.M. Campbell, F.S. Keith, J.C. Kemp, J.J. Ross, F.P. Shearwood
  • Camp 3 (1927): John M. Campbell, William Casey, John Donnelly, Stanley N. Graham, Thomas A. McGinnis, Edward J.C. Schmidlin, Henry L. Sherwood
  • Camp 4 (1928): R.N. Blackburn, H.S. Carpenter, A.C. Garner, A.M. MacGillibray, J.R.C. Macredie, C.J. Mackenzie, L.A. Thornton
  • Camp 5 (1930): E. Carpenter, E.A. Cleveland, Victor Dolmage, A.E. Foreman, W.H. Powell, G.A. Walkem, A.E. Wheatley
  • Camp 6 (1930): R.B. Baxter, L.C. Charlesworth, W.J. Cunningham, J.B. de Hart, A.W. Haddow, S.G. Porter, B.L. Thorne
  • Camp 7 (1930): H.F. Bennett, W.P. Copp, H.W.L. Doane, A.F. Dyer, J.B. Hayes, H.S. Johnston, J.H. Winfield
  • Camp 8 (1930): C.H. Attwood, Donald J. Birse, George E. Cole, J.S. DeLury, H.B. Lumsden, J.W. Sanger, Fred V. Seibert
  • Camp 9 (1934): J.R. Freeman, A. Gray, C.C. Kirby, Gilbert G. Murdock, Geoffrey Stead, G.H. Thurber, G.A. Vandervoort

Williamson, Gary

  • Local
  • Person
  • 1944-2019

Gary Williamson, a Toronto Jazz pianist, gave his first solo piano recital at age 12 at the Royal Conservatory of Music. He began playing professionally in 1964, and started studying harmony and arranging with Gordon Delamont.

From 1968 to 1972, he toured Hawaii and Asia, before settling in Toronto with his wife Rose in 1976, where he continued his career recording, touring, performing, and recording. He performed with many musicians in the Toronto jazz scene and backed visiting "greats". He played and toured with Nimmons N Nine Plus Six (1974-1980); toured with the Dave McMurdo Jazz Orchestra to the Soviet Union (1991); and recorded with various artists, including Phil Nimmons, Ed Bickert, Katherine Moses, Charlie Gray, Sam Noto, and Hagood Hardy.

Williamson also taught jazz at the Banff Centre in Alberta and the University of New Brunswick (starting in the mid-1970s), and then as part of the new jazz program at the University of Toronto (1990). His students include Renee Rosnes, Chris Donnelly, David Braid, and Adrean Farrugia.

Healey, Derek

  • Person
  • 1936-

Composer, organist, and teacher Derek Healey was born in Wargrave, England in 1936 and studied with Herbert Howells at the Royal College of Music, London (1952-1956). He received his Bachelor of Music degree from the University of Durham in 1961, and continued his studies at graduate summer school at the Accademia Musicale Chigiana in Siena (1961-1963, 1966) with Vito Frazzi, Francesco Lavagnino, and Goffredo Petrassi. He also studied with composer Boris Porena in Rome (1962-1963) before moving to Canada in 1969, where he taught at the University of Victoria (1969-1971), University of Toronto (1971-1972), Waterloo Lutheran University (1971-1972), and the University of Guelph (1972-1978). He received his doctorate (D Mus, 1974).

Healey then joined the Department of Music at the University of Oregon in 1978, where he taught until 1988, when he accepted a position at the Royal Air Force (RAF) School of Music in Uxbridge, England. He retired from teaching in 1996 and moved to Brooklyn, New York, where he continues to live with his wife Olive Scholey.

Healey's early compositions are marked by a neo-classic style, before showing atonal and aleatoric influences in the 1960s. His move to Canada in 1969 spurred an interest in ethnic music. Reflecting on his compositional style, Healey writes that:

"The first pieces with which I am satisfied were written in the Neo-Classic style, a style which appealed to me coming from an organist's background; the composers I particularly liked were Hindemith and Milhaud. After some four or five years I became concerned with the strict limitations of classicism and this resulted in a period in Italy where I studied the techniques of the Second Viennese and Post-Webern schools with Boris Porena and Goffredo Petrassi. The techniques of these composers have stayed with me ever since as a continuum on which to place other current interests, the most important of these being ethnic music (N.W. Canadian and other Pacific based musics) and also techniques learnt from electronic music.

"Since I have lived for considerable periods of time in England, Canada and the U.S.A., I am more conscious than most of the effect the environment has upon musical creativity – the effect of which is to divide one's compositions into a number of clearly definable artistic periods. Despite the resulting compartmentalization of one's creative output, I feel that my music has been true to the different artistic worlds in which I have lived – the resulting divergences being an exciting phenomenon of Global Shrinkage and the Immigrant Twentieth Century Composer" (Canadian Music Centre biography).

Moggridge, Donald E.

  • Person
  • 1943-

Donald E. Moggridge was born in 1943 and grew up in Windsor Ontario. From 1961 to 1965, he was a student in the Department of Political Economy at the University of Toronto where he studied economic history under Karl Helleiner, John Dales, Tom Easterbrook and Ian Drummond. He graduated with his Honours B.A. in 1965 and subsequently went onto to do graduate work at the University of Cambridge where he obtained his M.A. in 1968 and his Ph.D. in 1970. While at Cambridge, he was mentored by well known economists Joan Robinson, Richard Kahn, who was his thesis advisor, and Austin Robinson.

It was also at Cambridge that he was first introduced to the papers of John Maynard Keynes which would influence his research interests throughout his entire career. In 1969, Prof. Moggridge began working with an established editorial team from the Royal Economic Society on The Collected Writings of John Maynard Keynes. What began as a job for a finishing Ph.D. student became a 20-year endeavour, and, in the end, Moggridge was responsible for editing 24 of the 30 volume set. His interest in Keynes resulted in two books on the famous economist: a small version Keynes which saw three editions and was translated into several languages and Maynard Keynes: An Economist’s Biography a large version that is considered the definitive account of Keynes’s work as an economist. He has published countless papers and chapters in books not only on Keynes but on other areas in economic history and the history of economic thought. Along with Susan Howson, he edited the diaries of James Meade and Lionel Robbins. He also wrote a biography on Canadian economist Harry Johnson – Harry Johnson: A Life in Economics (2008).

In 1974, Prof. Ian Drummond enticed Prof. Moggridge back the University of Toronto with a full professorship. His early years were spent teaching undergraduate courses at Scarborough College and graduate courses on the St. George campus. Over the years, Prof. Moggridge taught courses in such subject areas as North American and British economic history, 20th century economic history, the history of economic thought, and the economics J.M. Keynes. He supervised 11 Ph.D. theses.

Throughout his career at the University of Toronto, Professor Moggridge also held various administrative roles including assistant Chair for Economics at Scarborough (1977-79, 1985-85), member, treasurer and chair for the Conference on Editorial Problems (1981-1991), Acting Associate Dean, Social Sciences for the School of Graduate Studies (1994-1997) as well as Vice Dean of SGS (1997-2000) and member of the Board of Trustees, Trinity College (1998-2004). He has worked on numerous review and planning committees throughout the University.

Moreover, he has been an active member of the several professional associations including the Economic History Association, Economic History Society and the Canadian Economics Association. He has been most involved with the History of Economic Society (HES) including serving a term as president 1987-1989. In 2008, he was honoured as a distinguished fellow by HES.

Today, Professor Moggridge is still a professor in the Department of Economics and is a Fellow of Trinity College.

Rosenfarb, Chava

  • Person
  • 1923-2011

Chava Rosenfarb (1923-2011) was a prominent Yiddish poet, author, playwright and a Holocaust survivor. Born in Lodz, Poland, Rosenfarb received a secular Yiddish and Polish education before being incarcerated in the Lodz ghetto where she received her high school diploma. She began writing poetry in the Ghetto and was recognized early for her talent. Having survived Auschwitz, the Sasel labour camp, and Bergen Belsen, the author emigrated to Canada in 1950 where she wrote prolifically until the end of her life. She is the recipient of numerous awards including Israel’s Manger Prize, the Canadian Jewish Book Award, and two J.I Segal Awards.

Stoicheff, Boris Peter

  • Person
  • 1924-2010

Boris P. Stoicheff was a Professor Emeritus in the Department of Physics at the University of Toronto, a leading authority on Ramen Spectroscopy, and a pioneer in the use of lasers in optical physic and spectroscopy. Stoicheff was also the President of the Optical Society of America and the Canadian Association of Physicists, as well as being a member of the Order of Canada. During his career, Stoicheff published more than 180 papers on the subject of lasers, optical physics and spectroscopy, and was the author of a biography on the life and work of physicist Gerhard Herzberg.

Boris Peter Stoicheff was born in Bitola, Macedonia in 1924. In 1931 he and his family immigrated to Canada and settled in Toronto. Stoicheff attended Jarvis Collegiate Institute (1938-1943) where he excelled in both mathematics and in athletics (he was ranked fifth in Ontario for cross-country while in high school). After high school Stoicheff enrolled in the Engineering Physics program at the University of Toronto where he obtained his B.A.Sc. (1947) and his M.A. (1948) in physics. In 1950, under the supervision of Professor Harry Welsh, Stoicheff completed his Ph.D. on the subject of Ramen Spectroscopy of Gases at High Temperature at the University of Toronto.

In the early 1950s, Stoicheff began working for the National Research Council (N.R.C.) in Ottawa under the general direction of Gerhard Herzberg (Herzberg would go on to win the Noble Prize for Chemistry in 1971). During his time at the National Research Council, Stoicheff became well-known in the world of optical physics for his very precise, high-resolution Ramen spectra and for his patience in obtaining the highest quality spectroscopic results. In all, Stoicheff published more than thirty papers on the topic of Ramen Spectroscopy while working for the National Research Council. In 1954 Stoicheff married Joan Ambridge and in 1956 they had a son, Peter. Near the end of his time at the N.R.C., Stoicheff took an interest in Brillouin scattering; more specifically, how the emerging technology of MASERS and LASERS could aid in carrying out Brillouin spectroscopy. In the early 1960s Stoicheff constructed the first (ruby) laser in Canada. The use of lasers in spectroscopy would become Stoicheff’s primary area of research for the remainder of his career.

After fourteen years at the N.R.C. Stoicheff accepted a position at the University of Toronto as a Professor of Physics.; in 1977 he was promoted to the position of University Professor. From 1964 until his retirement in 1989 Stoicheff worked out of his lab at the University of Toronto’s Department of Physics, where he completed pioneering research in the area of optical spectroscopy. During his career Stoicheff held numerous positions on various university, national and international committees and boards including: Member of Council of the Royal Society of Canada, Vice-President of the Canadian Association of Physicists, Canadian Correspondent to The Royal Society (London), and Co-Chairman of the 5th International Conference on Laser Spectroscopy, among many others. Stoicheff also received a number of honours and awards. He was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, Honourary Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences, U.K./Canada Rutherford Lecturer for The Royal Societies of London and Canada, the recipient of Centennial Medal of Canada, the Canadian Association of Physics Medal of Achievement, and several honorary degrees from Canadian and international Universities.

After his retirement, Stoicheff remained active in the scientific community and continued to lecture, publish and research in the field of optical physics and spectroscopy. In addition to physics, Stoicheff had a great interest in the humanities, and pursued subjects such as religion, psychology, art and biography. After his retirement, Stoicheff created a course titled “The Riddle of Light” where students explored both scientific and artistic interpretation of light. He was also the author of a biography on the life and career of his former supervisor and mentor Gerhard Herzberg titled Gerhard Herzberg: A Illustrious Life in Science, published in 2002. Boris Stoicheff died in Toronto on April 15, 2010.

Adaskin, John

  • Person
  • 1908-1964

John Adaskin, conductor, radio producer, administrator, and cellist, was born in Toronto on June 4, 1908 and died in Toronto on March 4, 1964. He was the first program director of the Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission in 1934 and an ardent supporter of Canadian composers and young musicians. In 1961, he was appointed executive secretary of the Canadian Music Centre where he established the "Graded Educational Music Plan" to promote Canadian music in schools. After his death, this project was renamed the "John Adaskin Project".

John Adaskin Project

  • Corporate body
  • 1961-

The John Adaskin Project started in 1961 as the "Graded Educational Music Plan" by John Adaskin, executive secretary to the Canadian Music Centre (CMC). The initiative was underway by 1962 with a committee of music educators grading and evaluating Canadian repertoire in terms of its suitability for student performers. The project was renamed in its founder's memory in 1965, and became the "John Adaskin Project (Canadian Music for Schools)" in 1973 under the direction of Patricia (Pat) Shand, overseen by the Canadian Music Educators' Association (CMEA) and the CMC. The project organizes workshops, demonstrations, and lectures; publishes research guides; and commissions new works by Canadian composers.

Woolmer, James Howard

  • Person
  • 1929-2023

James Howard Woolmer was born in Montreal in 1929. He moved to New York City in 1958, where he began a career as a professional bookseller in the early 1960's. In addition to working at his business, J. Howard Woolmer has compiled a number of published bibliographies and collections of note, including A Checklist of the Hogarth Press 1917-1946, and a catalogue as well as a bibliography of Malcolm Lowry's writings. In recent years, Mr. Woolmer has built collections relating to American poets, Irish poets, American Jewish writers and Irish theatre for the Firestone Library at Princeton University.

Woolmer died in 2023.

Millman, Thomas Reagh

  • Person
  • 1905 - 1966

Thomas Reagh Millman was born in Kensington, Prince Edward Island on June 14, 1905. He was educated at Prince of Wales College, Charlottetown, University College, Toronto (B.A. 1931, M.A. 1933), Wycliffe College (L.Th. 1933, B.D. 1938) and McGill University where he received his doctorate in 1943, which was published with the University of Toronto Press (1947).
He was ordained deacon in 1933 and ordained priest in 1934. From 1935 until 1941 Dr. Millman was lecturer and dean of residence at the Montreal Diocesan Theological College. From 1950-1954 he was professor of church history at Huron College, London, Ontario, and from 1954 until he retired in 1974 he was professor of church history at Wycliffe College. He was also associated with the Toronto School of Theology. He was awarded the degree of D.D. by the University of Western Ontario in 1953, by Wycliffe College in 1974 and Trinity College in 1977 and the degree of D.C.L. by the University of King’s College, Halifax in 1974.
As a parish priest Dr. Millman served first at Grafton in the Diocese of Toronto, then from 1941 to 1949 he was rector of Dunham and Frelighsberg (St. Armand East) in the Diocese of Montreal and finally at Alvinston with Inwood in the Diocese of Huron. He was made a Canon of St. James Cathedral, Toronto in 1969 and was an honorary assistant for over 40 years at St. Timothy’s Church, Toronto.
Dr. Millman was the first archivist of the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, serving from 1955 until 1974, as well as a founder of the Canadian Church Historical Society. While in the Diocese of Montreal he was one of the founders of the Montreal Diocesan Archives, along with the Reverends S.B. Lindsay and R.K. Naylor and Professor J.I. Cooper.
Dr. Millman was a church historian who published many works. His first two books were biographies, Jacob Mountain, First Lord Bishop of Quebec (1947) and The Life of the Right Reverend, the Honourable Charles Stewart, Second Anglican Bishop of Quebec (1953). In 1983 he published Atlantic Canada to 1900: A History of the Anglican Church, which was started by Canon A.R. Kelly; Dr. Millman completed the book after the death of Canon Kelly in 1961. Dr. Millman was also a contributor to the Dictionary of Canadian Biography and was also published in the Journal of the Canadian Church Historical Society.
Dr. Millman married Margaret McLeod of Lennoxville, Quebec in 1944. She died in 1991.
Dr. Millman died on November 22, 1996 in Toronto. His funeral took place on November 25, 1996 at St. Timothy’s Church, Toronto. He is buried at St. Stephens, Irishtown, Prince Edward Island.

Jakob Jocz

  • Person
  • 1906 - 1983

Jakob Jocz was born in Vilno, Lithuania, on October 18, 1906. His father was Basil Jocz. Jocz married Joan Alice Gapp in 1936, in London, United Kingdom. They had three daughters and one son; Elizabeth Anne, Winifred Mary, Christine Joan, and Philip Vernon Jocz.

Jocz began his studies at the Methodist Episcopal Seminary in Frankfurt, Germany. He completed his studies there in 1932 and graduated with a Masters degree. From there he attended St. Aidan's College in Birkenhead, Cheshire, England. He was ordained Deacon in the Church of England in August 1935 by the Bishop of Fulham and was ordained as a Priest in August 1936. He graduated from New College in Edinburgh in 1943 with a Ph.D. and D. Litt.

Jocz was sent by the organization Church Missions to the Jews as a Chaplain of the Anglican Church in Warsaw, Poland where he served from 1935-1939. In 1939 he returned to England on holiday and was prevented from returning to Warsaw by the outbreak of World War II. He lead the Church Missions to the Jews in London, United Kingdom from 1939 –1948. He served as a lecturer at Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland in 1948, and as Rector at St. John's, Hampstead, London from 1948 to 1956. He immigrated to Canada in 1956, and was appointed as Priest-in-Charge and Superintendent of the Nathanael Institute, Toronto, October 1, 1956, which was concerned with missions to the Jews. On September 1, 1960 he accepted a position as a Professor of Systematic Theology at Wycliffe College, University of Toronto. He was appointed Bishop's examining Chaplain March 15, 1965 and held the position until August 31, 1975. From March 4, 1969 to February 1, 1976 he was Honorary Assistant at the Church of St. Alban-the-Martyr, Toronto and served as Priest-in-Charge for a short time. Jocz retired from active ministry and from his position with Wycliffe College on June 30, 1976. In September 1979 he accepted the appointment of Honorary Assistant at the Church of the Messiah, Toronto and then later the position of Priest-in-Charge.

Jocz wrote on the theme of Christian and Jewish relations. He had nine books published, and wrote a column for the Canadian Churchman from 1972 to January 1980. He was President of the International Hebrew Christian Alliance beginning in 1955.

Jocz passed away on August 14, 1983. His funeral was held at the Church of the Messiah on Sunday August 21, 1983.

McTaggart, Douglas Graham

  • Person
  • 1931-2011

Douglas Graham McTaggart was born in Toronto on September 30, 1931. He attended Rawlinson Public School and Forest Hill Collegiate prior to earning a B.A. in 1951 from Victoria College at the University of Toronto. Throughout high school and university, he participated in intramural football and track and field. He was also a chartered member of the Sports College Canadian Testing Group founded by Lloyd Percival and competed at Madison Square Gardens in New York as well as various other arenas in Chicago, Montreal, and Hamilton. He died on July 22, 2011.

Flint, Maurice Sydney

  • 124
  • Person
  • 1913-2000

Maurice Sydney Flint was born in London, England on June 5, 1913 to Randolph Rymer Flint, a stereotyper, and Kate Elizabeth Wood. In 1936, he concluded his studies at Tyndale Hall at the Bible Churchmen’s Missionary and Theological College in Bristol, and was ordained a Deacon at St. Paul’s in London. He immediately left for missionary work in the Canadian Arctic and served at Pond Inlet on north Baffin Island, from 1936 to 1941. After learning the language, he translated many biblical books, expositions, catechisms, and a dictionary of difficult New Testament terms into Inuktitut. He also wrote the English lesson book for Eskimo children (1946) and the Revised Eskimo Grammar Book: from the work of Rev. E.J. Peck (1954), and translated Pilgrim’s Progress (1956), which was published accompanied by Inuit drawings. In addition to his missionary work in this region, Flint is recognized as the first white man to cross Baffin Island by dog sled, and Flint Lake, located in central Baffin Island, is named in his honour.

During World War II, Flint was commissioned as a Squadron Leader and served as Chaplain for the Royal Air Force, stationed throughout Canada from 1941 to 1944, and in Nassau, Bahamas, from 1944 to 1945. On June 5th, 1943, he married Honora Chew Atkins, and they had two daughters: Elizabeth Norah Chew Flint in 1944, and Kathryn Louise Flint in 1949. After the war, Flint served as Scripture Union Director and the Canadian representative for the Children’s Special Service Mission, from 1945-1947. He was Assistant at Toronto’s Church of Messiah from 1947 to 1950, and studied at the University of Toronto, earning a BA from University College and an L.Th (Certificate of Licentiate in Theology) from Wycliffe College, both in 1950. He then moved to Massachusetts, where he served as Priest in Charge at St. James in Roxbury and earned an STM (Master of Sacred Theology) from Boston University in 1951.

Flint returned to Toronto in 1951 and was appointed Priest-in-Charge (and later Rector) of Little Trinity Church, which he helped revive and save from closure. He left Little Trinity in 1956. From 1953 to 1962, Flint ministered to convicted female narcotic addicts as part-time Chaplain at the Mercer Reformatory in Toronto. He also served on the Mayor of Toronto’s Citizens’ Committee for the Investigation of Narcotic Addiction and Vice in Metropolitan Toronto in 1959. In 1964, Flint received his PhD in the Psychology of Religion at Boston and in 1967, he received the Governor General’s Centennial Medal,

Flint’s teaching career began in 1961 at Wycliffe College, where he lectured on pastoral counselling, pastoral psychology, and the psychology of religion until 1980. He also lectured on urban sociology at the Ecumenical Institute, from 1962 to 1969. Flint continued his ministry, serving as Director of Chaplaincy in the Ontario Department of Reform Institutions (later the Ministry of Correctional Services) from 1963 to 1972 and as Co-ordinator of Chaplaincy Services for the Ontario Civil Service Commission, from 1972 to 1978. In 1978 he received a citation from the Premier of the Province of Ontario, for twenty-five years of public service on behalf of the government and people of Ontario. That same year, Wycliffe College conferred him the honourary degree, Doctor of Divinity.

In the 1980s, Flint developed “A Course in Pastoral Counseling,” a series of written and audio lectures, which he used to promote international improvement in clergy education, especially in Antigua, Jamaica, and Malaysia. In 1987, he started the Flint Trust at Wycliffe College, to promote teaching missions in parishes.

In addition to his books of Inuktitut translations and grammar, Maurice Sydney Flint wrote the following published works: The Arctic: land of snowmen (1948), Operation canon: a short account of the life and witness of the Reverend John Hudspith (1949), Treasure within: the influence of the church upon the penal system in England (1968), and A touch of heaven: thirty-five years of the Chapel-By-The-Sea 1949-1984 (1984). In 1991, he finished A work book for the study of Innuktetut, a volume of over 800 pages.

Flint never finished working on his autobiography, No Greater Privilege, and died in his home in Oakville, Ontario, on August 13th, 2000.

Slater, John Greer

  • Person
  • 1930-2022

John Greer Slater was born in the United States on June 1st, 1930 and immigrated to Canada in the mid 1960’s. His major research interest is the philosopher Bertrand Russell. During his time at the University of Toronto, Professor Slater assembled the world’s largest collection of print material by and about Bertrand Russell. The collection comprises approximately 10,000 items, and helped establish the University of Toronto as a major centre for Russell studies. He also donated 8,500 philosophy books to the Fisher Rare Book Library in 1990 that form a complete collection of American, Canadian and Australian philosophy from 1870 to the time of donation.

Professor Slater earned a B.A. with High Honours from the University of Florida in 1955, followed by an M.A. in Philosophy from the University of Michigan in 1956. He completed his Ph.D. in Philosophy at the University of Michigan in 1961. The title of his Ph.D. thesis was A Methodological Study of Ordinary Language of Philosophy.

Following his doctoral studies, Professor Slater was a teaching fellow, instructor, and part-time lecturer at the University of Michigan between 1956 and 1961. He was then an instructor at Wayne State University for the spring term of 1960 and 1961. Following those positions, Professor Slater was an assistant professor of Philosophy at the University of Houston, before being awarded tenure and being appointed to the Graduate School at the University of Toronto in 1964. Professor Slater was an associate professor of Philosophy from 1964 until 1988, when he was promoted to Professor.

Professor Slater mainly taught courses on the history of philosophy, logic, and the foundations of mathematics. He taught Logic, Knowledge and Reality; Modern Symbolic Logic; Bertrand Russell; and Introduction to Political Philosophy at the undergraduate level as well as Political Philosophy; Modern Logic; and Bradley and Russell at the graduate level.

At the University of Toronto Professor Slater held a number of administrative positions. Between 1969 and 1974 he served as chairman of the Department of Philosophy, chairman of the Graduate Department of Philosophy, and chairman of the Department of Ethics at University College simultaneously. Between 1981 and 1985 he was acting chairman of the Department of Philosophy, and he also served on all of the department’s standing committees as well as a number of its ad hoc committees.

Professor Slater was also active in a number of professional associations, including the American Philosophical Association, the Canadian Philosophical Association, where he served on the Executive Committee between 1969 and 1972, and the Ontario Philosophical Society.

Throughout his career, Professor Slater edited five volumes of The Collected Papers of Bertrand Russell, for which he won three SSHRC grants. He also edited five other books, including Pragmatism and Purpose: Essays Presented to Thomas A. Goudge (1981), and wrote a chapter of the book Russell in Review (1976). Professor Slater wrote a number of articles, book introductions, book reviews, papers and addresses, the majority of which reflected his research on Bertrand Russell as well as Logic and Philosophy. Between 1970 and 1983, Professor Slater served on the Bertrand Russell Archives Advisory Committee, and he has been a member of the Editorial Board of Russell since 1970.

Professor Slater has received honours for his work, including National Science Foundation Fellowship, Woodrow Wilson Fellow. He is also a member of Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, and Phi Eta Sigma. Professor Slater retired officially on July 1, 1995. He died on November 19, 2022.

Morgan, Kathryn Pauly

  • Person
  • 1943-2022

Kathryn Pauly Morgan (1943-2022) was a white feminist philosopher and Professor of Philosophy and Women’s Studies at the University of Toronto, where she taught from 1974-2013. She played a prominent role in the development of Women’s Studies as an academic discipline at the University of Toronto, from its early days as an undergraduate program (one of the first in Canada) through to the launch of the Graduate Collaborative Program in Women’s Studies in 1994-95, the creation of the Institute for Women’s Studies and Gender Studies in 1999 (now Women & Gender Studies Institute) and the admission of graduate students in Women & Gender Studies. She researched, published, and taught in the areas of philosophy of education, feminist ethics and bioethics, women and health, feminist philosophy of the body, and gender and techno-science.

Morgan was born on August 20th, 1943 in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. She earned a B.A. from Alverno College (Milwaukee, WI) in 1965 and subsequently pursued graduate studies in philosophy at Johns Hopkins University. She obtained her PhD in 1973, writing her dissertation on Descartes, Merleau-Ponty, and the knowledge of the self. She also earned an M.Ed. in Educational Foundations from the University of Alberta in 1972.

In 1974, Morgan began working at the University of Toronto on sessional contracts, first in the Department of Philosophy, and later also in Women’s Studies. In 1980 she was the recipient of the Ontario Council of University Faculty Associations (OCUFA) Award for Excellence in Teaching. She was appointed Associate Professor (with tenure) in 1983 and Full Professor in 1989. In addition, she became a member of the Joint Centre for Bioethics in 1990 and was cross-appointed to the Institute of Medical Science from 1992-1998.

Alongside Kay Armatage and Sylvia Van Kirk, in the early 1980s, she helped develop and co-taught Introduction to Women’s Studies (NEW 260). She also taught courses on the topics of Scientific Perspectives on Sex and Gender, Women in Western Political Thought, Women and Health, Philosophy of Feminism, Philosophy of Human Sexuality, Gender and Disability.

From 1989-1993, she chaired the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) Gender Issues Committee which was tasked to advance gender equity at SGS and raise retention rates for women. The committee undertook a large empirical research project, surveying all female graduate students at the U of T (approximately 4000) and 1000 male graduate students.

Morgan was active in numerous professional organizations including the Society for Women in Philosophy (SWIP), the Canadian Society for Women in Philosophy (CSWIP), the Philosophy of Education Society (PES), the National Women’s Studies Association (NWSA), the Canadian Women’s Studies Association (CWSA), and the International Network on Feminist Approaches to Bioethics (FAB). She was also involved in the establishment of the journal Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy in 1984.

She published numerous papers on her diverse research interests, which included sexuality, gender, cosmetic surgery, reproductive technologies, and romantic love. Some of her most highly regarded and creatively titled papers are: “The Paradox of the Bearded Mother: The Role of Authority in Feminist Pedagogy”, “Women and the Knife: Cosmetic Surgery and the Colonization of Women’s Bodies”, “Of Woman Born? How Old Fashioned! Reproductive Technology and Women's Oppression”, “From Ugly Duckling to TechnoSwan: a Foucauldian Analysis of Biomedicalized Aesthetics”, and “Gender Police”. Published books include The Gender Question in Education: Theory, Pedagogy and Politics (1996), co-authored with Ann Diller, Barbara Houston, and Maryann Ayim (Westview Press/Harper Collins) and The Politics of Women's Health: Exploring Agency and Autonomy (1998), a co-authored, collaborative book with the SSHRC-funded Feminist Health Care Ethics Research Network (Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press, 1998).

Morgan retired from University of Toronto in 2013, the same year the first class of doctoral students were admitted to the Women & Gender Studies Institute. She died on 16 September 2022 in Toronto.

University of Toronto. Faculty of Forestry

  • Corporate body
  • 1907-current

The Faculty of Forestry was established in February 14, 1907. The name was changed to the Faculty of Forestry and Landscape Architecture on July 1, 1975 upon the merger of the Faculty of Forestry with the Department of Landscape Architecture. On July 1, 1979, the name of the faculty was changed back to the Faculty of Forestry when the Department of Landscape Architecture attaining independent standing.

de Brettes, Joseph

  • Person
  • 1861-1934

Joseph de Brettes (1861-1934) was a French explorer, surveyor, and author, as well as a businessman and delegate. De Brettes made two geographical explorations to the interior regions of Gran Chaco in South America, first in 1886, and again in 1888. From 1892 to 1893 he was exploring Colombia and making sociological and ethnographical observations of the Arhuaco and the Ahuaco-Kagaba Indigenous peoples (Kogi People)in the Sierra Nevada region. After a sojourn in France, he returned for further exploration in Colombia from 1895 to 1898.

Blake Wrong family

  • Family

Family members include Samuel H. Blake and his wife Rebecca Blake, Edward Blake and Gerald Blake, as well as cousins Murray, Hume and Harold Wrong.

Samuel H. Blake is the brother of Edward Blake (1833-1912). Rebecca Blake is the sister of Margaret Blake (1837-1917).

Blake, Margaret

  • Person
  • 1837-1917

Margaret Blake was born in 1837, the daughter of the Right Reverend Benjamin Cronyn, Bishop of Huron, and in 1858 married Dominick Edward Blake, the eldest son of William Hume Blake, a lawyer who was chancellor of Upper Canada (1849-1862) and of the University of Toronto (1853-1856). Her sister, Rebecca, married Edward’s brother, Samuel Hume Blake, who was a partner in his law firm and later sat on the senate of the University of Toronto. Edward Blake was a prominent lawyer and politician, sometime premier of Ontario (1871-1872), leader of the federal Liberal Party (1879-1887) and chancellor of the University of Toronto (1876 to 1900) who in 1892 was returned to the British House of Commons as an MP for South Longford. His health in decline, Blake resigned his seat in 1907 and he and Margaret returned to Toronto. Soon after he suffered a debilitating stroke and died on 1 March 1912. Margaret followed on 2 April 1917.

The Blakes had four children: Sophia Hume, Edward William Hume, Edward Francis (Ned), and Samuel Verschoyle. Sophia married George MacKinnon Wrong. Hume Blake attended University College at the University of Toronto (BA1884) and was a prominent Toronto financier and sportsman who died in 1930. Ned was born in 1866; his wife was Ethel Mary Benson. (Another member of this family was Clara Cynthia Benson, the first woman professor at the University of Toronto; the Bensons were also related to the family of John Galbraith, first dean of the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering.) Ned’s eldest son, Gerald Edward Blake, attended University College (BA 1914), fought in France during World War I and was killed on 23 July 1916. Samuel Blake was born in 1868, attended University College (1887-1888)and Osgoode Hall, and moved to London, England with his parents, where he practiced law and pursued his love of literature. He married Florence Cameron, daughter of John Cameron of London, Ontario and sometime editor of the Globe. They had no children. He dropped dead from a heart attack on a golf course in 1923. A similar fate awaited his cousin, William Hume Blake (BA 1882), a year later on a golf course near Victoria, BC.

The Blakes owned two houses, Le Caprice and Maison Rouge, in Murray Bay (now La Mal Baie), about 160 kilometers downriver from Quebec City. Here the extended family spent most summers. William Hume Blake and his family were among the first to summer there regularly, perhaps from the early1860s (Edward Blake had ‘Maison Rouge’ built in 1874). The place was also popular with American families from the mid-west, such as the Harlans and Tafts –they produced a future Supreme Court justice and President, respectively. William Howard Taft and his wife were family friends and correspondents. The residences were sited on the west side of the bay at Pointe-au-Pic. Le Caprice, in particular, figures in the family photo albums; it burned down in a spectacular blaze in the summer of 1914 as the male Wrongs and Blakes threw furniture out the windows. In England, Edward Blake rented, as a retreat from London, rooms at Bamburg Castle near Whitby from the Duke of Northumberland. This arrangement was continued for a time after World War I by the next generation of the family.

Wrong, George MacKinnon

  • Person
  • 1860-1948

George MacKinnon Wrong, the son of Gilbert and Christina MacKinnon Wrong, was born on a farm at Grovesend, Elgin County, Canada West on 25 June 1860. In 1886 he married Sophia Hume Blake, the eldest daughter of Edward Blake, chancellor of the University of Toronto and leader of the Liberal Party of Canada. They had five children, Margaret (Marga), Murray, Harold, Hume and Agnes (Polly). His wife died in 1931 and two years later he married Elizabeth Durgwynne, an Englishwoman with extensive nursing experience who had come to Canada two years earlier.

Wrong was educated at Wycliffe College and the University of Toronto (BA 1883, MA 1886), taking post-graduate work at Oxford and Berlin. He was ordained a minister of the Church of England in 1883 and from 1883 to1892 was lecturer in history and apologetics at Wycliffe College. In 1892 he was appointed lecturer in history at the University of Toronto and promoted to professor and head of the department in 1894. He remained in that position until his retirement in 1927 and was recognized as a superb lecturer. He introduced Canadian history into the curriculum and in 1904 founded the University of Toronto Historical Club, with its dominant interest in public affairs. His three sons were all to be members of the Club, though never at the same time. In retirement, Wrong devoted himself to writing, community and educational causes. In January 1929 he was elected president of the Ontario division of the Canadian Red Cross Society. Later that year he represented Canada at the 3rd Institute of Pacific Relations Conference in Kyoto, Japan.

He founded, in 1897, the Review of Historical Publications Relating to Canada, predecessor to the Canadian Historical Review. In 1905 he helped found the Champlain Society, was its editorial secretary until 1922, and its president from 1924-1928. Besides several text-books on British and Canadian history, he was the author of The Crusade of 1383 (1892), The Earl of Elgin (1906), A Canadian Manor and its Seigneurs (1908), The Fall of Canada (1914), Washington and his Comrades in Arms (1921), The Rise and Fall of New France (1928), Canada and the American Revolution (1935) and The Canadians (1938). He edited for the Champlain Society Sagard's Long Journey to the Country of the Hurons (1939) and was co-editor with H.H. Langton of The Chronicles of Canada (32 volumes, 1914-16). For a complete list of his publications see W. Stewart Wallace, “The life and work of George M. Wrong” Canadian Historical Review, 29, 3 (Sept.1948) 238-239.

Wrong was elected a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1908 and received the honorary degree of LLD from McGill University in 1919 and University of Toronto in 1941. In 1936 his portrait, painted by Sir Wyly Grier, was presented to the Department of History at the University. In 1944 he was elected an honorary member of the American Historical Association, the third person to receive that honour. Professor Wrong died in Toronto on 29 June 1948.

The Wrongs had residences in Toronto at 467 Jarvis Street and later at 73 Walmer Road, where they were generous and hospitable hosts. After the death of Edward Blake, George bought property that included a miller’s house on a pond at Canton north of Port Hope. In the summer of 1929 he offered to sell the rights to the mill and dam to his former pupil, Vincent Massey, but no agreement was reached until the early 1930s, when George was suffering financially from the stock market crash. Vincent Massey then erected his residence, Batterwood, on the property.

Wrong, Sophia Hume

  • Person
  • 1859-1931

Sophia Hume Wrong, the eldest daughter of Edward Blake and Frances Margaret Cronyn, was born in Toronto in 1859. She was educated privately (women were not allowed to attend the University of Toronto until the autumn of 1884) and in September 1886 married George MacKinnon Wrong. For much of her married life she lived at 467 Jarvis Street. She was described as “a little withdrawn in manner, almost shy…[but] with great strength and sweetness, courage and singleness of mind…she was the centre of gravity of the gay and many-sided life of that home.” In 1917, the family moved to 73 Walmer Road. From about 1923 her health declined and she died of pneumonia on 17 February 1931.

SRO Management

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-2015

Ray Danniels was a booker and talent manager in Toronto. Danniels became acquainted with the members of Rush, a Willowdale, Ontario band, when they were all high school students. Danniels began to book the band – then composed of members Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and John Rutsey - for the high school circuit, which included a church basement youth drop-in center called The Coffin. In 1971, Danniels became the band’s full-time agent and manager. There was just one problem: Danniels could not find a single record label in Canada willing to release the band’s music. Undeterred, Danniels sold his booking agency and teamed up with Vic Wilson to start their own management company and record label, SRO and Moon Records, respectively. Under the Moon label, Danniels fronted the money for Rush to start recording. The band released their first single in 1973, a cover of Buddy Holly’s “Not Fade Away.” The single sold a few thousand copies, mainly in Southern Ontario. In the spring of 1974, their self-titled debut album followed. This too received a fair amount of airplay in Southern Ontario, as well as south of the border, when the album was played on a Cleveland area radio station.
With cross-border recognition, Danniels signed Rush with an American talent agent, ATI, and the band also signed a major record deal with Mercury. Rush was set to begin touring extensively, but on the eve of their first big U.S. tour, Rutsey left the band. Auditions for a new drummer were held, and the band chose Neil Peart, who was to become the band’s chief lyricist. By the end of the U.S. tour, Rush had cracked the Billboard charts, and another album, “Fly by Night,” followed in 1975. The album was a hit in Canada, selling 100,000 copies and reaching No. 9 on the charts. It was certified platinum in both the United States and Canada. Through the 1970s, Rush would continue to tour and to release albums, including “Caress of Steel,” “2112” the live album “All the World’s a Stage,” “A Farewell to Kings” and “Hemispheres.”
Meanwhile, Danniels expanded SRO's roster of talent. He signed Toronto-area rock bands such as Max Webster, Liverpool, and A Foot in Coldwater, as well as solo artists Ian Thomas and Moe Koffman. Alongside Vic Wilson, Danniels also continued to expand his business, and SRO quickly became more than simply a management company. Its associated divisions covered a full range of music business activities including recording, songwriting and publishing, and merchandising. In the mid 1970s, Danniels and Wilson created two new record labels, Taurus Records and Anthem Records to showcase their artists. Moon Merchandising was established to handle merchandising rights – which would soon become a major revenue stream. At this time, Pegi Cecconi, a former SRO employee, rejoined the company, and helped to launch the additional divisions, Brandy Publishing, Core Music, and Mark-Cain Music, which handled songwriting and publishing.
Handling artist management, recording, publishing, and merchandising (known in the industry as the 360 deal) gave Danniels and Wilson (who left the company in 1980) the opportunity to sign, record and publish a diverse array of artists. In the 1980s, the company would go on to represent acts as varied as Coney Hatch, Lawrence Gowan, Mendelson Joe, Spoons, and BB Gabor. In addition to music, SRO/Anthem would also make its mark on Canadian comedy, with Anthem Records releasing the Bob and Doug McKenzie comedy album “The Great White North,” as well as “The Wankers’ Guide to Canada,” which featured the talents of SCTV alums Eugene Levy, Martin Short, and Catherine O’Hara.
SRO’s independence also gave Rush a certain measure freedom from major label interference, particularly as the band’s sound became more experimental, synth-driven, and progressive through the late 70s and early 80s. Drummer Neil Peart was once quoted as saying “We just complete a record, do the artwork, master it, and then present [Anthem Records] with a finished work rather than kibitzing [with label executives] all the way along from the demos. We just tell Ray our silly idea, and he makes it work."
A canny negotiator, Danniels excluded Canada as a territory when signing multinational recording contracts. With Anthem as the Canadian record company, Danniels and SRO’s artists had more control over how their music was released. Danniels once noted: “By having Anthem, every time the U.S. label wanted to do things differently than what the band or I wanted, and they told us ‘No,’ we had the ability to have the tail wag the dog instead of the dog wag the tail. It was the ability to say, ‘Fine, if you don’t want to release it until September, we are releasing it in May [in Canada].’” If the American label was reluctant to support a single, Danniels could force their hand, as a successful Canadian single could create a demand in the United States. The exclusion of Canada in multination recording contracts also meant that SRO’s artists could begin earning royalties on records sales in Canada right away, as well as earning royalties from worldwide publishing. Fiercely protective of SRO’s business interests, Danniels retained the worldwide publishing rights to Rush, despite being offered a large sum of money for them by Warner Brothers Publishing in 1981. Touring and merchandising were also sources of artist income – and here too SRO safeguarded their interests by going after bootleggers and counterfeiters. SRO’s legal counsel, Robert Farmer once joined the RCMP in a dramatic raid of counterfeit merchandise operations outside a Rush concert at Maple Leaf Gardens.
With the support of SRO, Rush went on to release over 20 studio albums, went on over 30 tours, won 9 Juno Awards, received a handful of Grammy nominations, and sold an estimated 40 million albums worldwide. They were inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1994 and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2013. SRO went on to manage the careers of other major Canadian musical talents, including The Tea Party, Big Wreck, Molly Johnson, and the Matthew Good Band. In 2015, music rights publishing group Ole acquired several of SRO/Anthem’s divisions, including Core Music Publishing, Mark-Cain Music, and the Anthem Entertainment Group, which included the publishing rights as well as the legacy audio and video release of Rush and other Anthem artists. The records in this collection highlight the growth of SRO/Anthem from its humble beginnings representing the band no one wanted to record, to a major force in the Canadian music industry who managed the career of one of the most successful Canadian bands of all time.

Results 151 to 200 of 5701