Showing 3466 results

People and organizations

Mastromatteo, Ernest

  • Person
  • 1923-2016

Ernest Mastromatteo was a Canadian occupational physician born in Toronto, Ontario on December 16, 1923. His work includes research into threshold limit values of hazardous workplace materials including extensive research on health hazards associated with nickel mining and processing. He has also done much research and advocacy on broader issues of occupational health including the physiological effects of exposure to other chemical and mechanical hazards such as dust, fumes, and noise, ethical issues around health surveillance of workers and the human rights of workers as they relate to a safe workplace.

Dr. Mastromatteo graduated from Bloor Collegiate Institute in 1940 and was admitted to the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto in 1942. He graduated with an MD in 1947. Dr. Mastromatteo also received a Diploma in Public Health in 1950, and a Diploma in Industrial Health in 1958, both from the University of Toronto. In 1958 Dr. Mastromatteo earned Certification in Occupational Medicine (FABPM) from the American Board of Preventative Medicine by Examination, and in 1981, he earned Certification in Occupational Medicine (CCBOM) from the Canadian Board of Preventative Medicine by Examination. In 1982, Dr. Mastromatteo became a Member through distinction of Faculty of Occupational Medicine, London.

Following his graduation from the University of Toronto in 1947, Dr. Mastromatteo did his Junior Internship at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto from 1947-1948 and his Senior Internship in Medicine at Ottawa General Hospital. In 1949, he became Medical Director of Virden Local Health Unit in Virden, Manitoba. In 1952, Dr. Mastromatteo joined the Ontario Ministry of Health, where he was appointed director in 1968. Between 1966 and 1974, Dr. Mastromatteo was also a Consultant on Occupational Diseases for the Ontario Workers’ Compensation Board and a Professor at the School of Hygiene at the University of Toronto in addition to his role at the Ministry of Health.

In 1974, Dr. Mastromatteo left his three roles in Canada to work as the Chief of the Occupational Health and Safety Branch of the International Labour Office in Geneva, Switzerland. In 1976, he returned to Canada to begin working as the Director of Occupational Health for INCO Limited, a mining company. From 1976 to 1997, Dr. Mastromatteo also served as an honorary consultant for the Occupational Health Clinic at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto. In 1985, Dr. Mastromatteo left his position at INCO to work as a consultant for the Occupational Health and Safety Branch of the Ontario Workers’ Compensation Board until 1990. Between 1984 and 1994 Dr. Mastromatteo was the Program Director for Organization Resources Counselors Canada Inc. in Toronto. In 1987, Dr. Mastromatteo was appointed Professor Emeritus of Occupational and Environmental Medicine at the University of Toronto. Dr. Mastromatteo never formally retired and continued to do consulting work after leaving ORC Inc.

Dr. Mastromatteo was very active in a number of professional associations throughout his career, most notably the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, where he was president from 1969-1970, and Chair of the TLV (Threshold Limit Value) Committee from 1985-1990. Dr. Mastromatteo was also a member of the Canadian Medical Association, the Ontario Medical Association, where he chaired both the Section on Occupational Health and the Committee on Public Health, and he was a member of the Ontario Thoracic Society where he was President from 1966-1968. Dr. Mastromatteo was also a member of the Ramazzini Medical Society and the International Commission on Occupational Health among others.

Dr. Mastromatteo received many honours and awards throughout his career. In 1979, he won the Canada Safety Council Achievement Award for Occupational Health and Safety in Canada and in 1981, he won the Stokinger Award for Scientific Contributions to Occupational Toxicology in the United States. Dr. Mastromatteo was appointed to the ILO (International Labour Office) Panel on Occupational Carcinogens in 1981. In 1986, Dr. Mastromatteo was given the Yant Award for Scientific Contributions to Industrial Hygiene in the United States and was also elected Member of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine at the Royal College of Physicians in London. In 1987. Dr. Mastromatteo was inducted into the Safety and Health Hall of Fame International and won the Knudsen Award for contributions to occupational medicine in the United States. In 1990, Dr. Mastromatteo was granted lifetime memberships in the Ontario Medical Association, Canadian Medical Association, American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists and the American Industrial Hygiene Association. In 1999, Dr. Mastromatteo received the Lifetime Achievement Award for Occupational Health in Canada.

Dr. Mastromatteo was the author of 45 publications on occupational health, toxicology and environmental health, as well as the author of four book chapters and a member of the editorial committees for two books.

Dr. Mastromatteo died on July 13, 2016.

University of Toronto. Board of Governors

  • Corporate body
  • 1884-1972

The Board of Governors was called the Board of Trustees until 1906. In 1972 the Board of Governors merged with the University of Toronto Senate to become the University of Toronto Governing Council, now known as the Office of the Governing Council.

Royal Conservatory of Music

  • Corporate body
  • 1886-current

Founded in 1886 as the Toronto Conservatory of Music, the Conservatory received royal charter in 1947, becoming the Royal Conservatory of Music. The Conservatory is a music education organization and performance venue in Toronto near the UofT campus. The Conservatory became affiliated with the UofT in 1952, a relationship that lasted until 1991, when it once again became an independent institution.

University of Toronto. Department of Economics

  • Corporate body
  • 1982-current

The Department of Economics was formed in 1982 when the Department of Political Economy split to become two departments: the Department of Political Science and the Department of Economics.

Hicks, Bill

  • Person

Student of architecture

University of Toronto. Department of Mathematics

  • Corporate body
  • 1887-current

Established in 1887 when the Chair of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy split to form the Chair of Mathematics and Chair of Physics; cited as the Department of Mathematics from May 1982 onward.

University of Toronto. Department of Surgery

  • Corporate body
  • 1887-current

In August of 1887, the Chair of Clinical Surgery, Chair of Practical Surgery and Chair of Principles of Surgery and Surgical Pathology were established when the Toronto School of Medicine became the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Toronto. All of these chairs were cited collectively at the Department of Surgery beginning in 1881.

University of Toronto. Department of East Asian Studies

  • Corporate body
  • 1964 - current

Originally established in 1948 as the Department of East Asiatic Studies. Name changed to East Asian Studies in 1964, and in 1971 the department was split into the Department of East Asian Studies and the Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies.

University of Toronto. Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering

  • Corporate body
  • 1909 - current

The roots of The Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of Toronto reach as far back as 1909, when it was launched as an offshoot of the Department of Mechanical Engineering. At the time, and in fact until the early 1960s, only two such departments existed in Ontario, the other at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario.

With the return of First World War veterans in the fall of 1919, the department saw enrolment swell from 241 to 819 students. Then, a practical undergraduate curriculum was offered, similar to that of the mechanical colleges in the United States. It was this North American model under which the department was developed, as engineering was not then considered a discipline for academic study in Britain or Western Europe.

By the mid 1920s, the applied science component of the department emerged and the degree of Master of Applied Science was instituted. Graduate study was pursued intermittently, and the first PhD in Electrical Engineering was awarded in 1951.

Early research groups included those based in classical electromagnetic theory, followed by control engineering, dubbed systems disciplines, in the 1950s. Shortly thereafter came communications engineering, and electronic device and circuit engineering. In 1962, the department formed the Institute of Biomedical Electronics, now called the Institute of Biomaterials & Biomedical Engineering, and joined by Photonics. Computer engineering found its place in the department around 1965. Today, it has grown to include over half of the department’s undergraduates, and has a designated degree.

In June 2000, Ted Rogers Jr. made a substantial donation in honour of his father, who was a student of the department from 1919 to 1921. The department is now known as The Edward. S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering. - from https://www.ece.utoronto.ca/about/department/

University of Toronto. Department of Geology

  • Corporate body
  • 1902 - current

Chair of Geology established in 1901 and changed to the Department of Geology in 1902. In 1906 the name was changed to the Department of Geology and Palaeontology. In 1945, the name was changed to the Department of Geology and Mineralogy on the merger of the Departments of Geology and Palaeontology and Mineralogy and Petrography. The department was briefly known as Geological Science, but by the end of 1965, was once again the Department of Geology. The Department has recently changed its name to the Department of Earth Sciences.

University of Toronto. Hart House

  • Corporate body
  • 1919 - current

As an integral part of the University of Toronto’s cultural landscape since 1919, Hart House is a peerless institution in its history of inspiring change, provoking thought and helping to shape artistic, cultural and social tapestry of the university and larger communities.

Hart House was commissioned by the Massey family and gifted to the University of Toronto by the Massey Foundation as a gathering place for students to partake in co-curricular activities. The then 22-year-old Vincent Massey (who would later become Canada’s first native-born Governor General) named the building for his grandfather, Hart, and chose architect Henry Sproatt, one of the last North American masters of the Gothic form, along with engineer Ernest Rolph, to design it. Construction began in 1911, and since its opening on Remembrance Day, 1919, Hart House has remained a crown jewel in the University of Toronto’s architectural, academic and social history. - From http://harthouse.ca/about-us/history/

University of Toronto Music Library

  • Corporate body
  • 1921-

In 1918 Toronto College of Music, founded in 1888, amalgamated with the Canadian Academy of Music, and in 1924 the academy was absorbed by the Toronto Conservatory of Music. The Toronto Conservatory of Music then gained the assets of both its rivals, including over one hundred vocal and orchestral scores. The University had taken over the ownership and operation of the conservatory by 1921, and therefore this collection became the foundation of the University of Toronto's music library.

Hugh Hornby Langton's, (University of Toronto's Chief Librarian, 1892-1922), donated a over a dozen scores from his own collection including orchestral works by Beethoven, Schubert, and Mendelssohn in piano duet arrangements from his courting days, which constitutes the University of Toronto's first efforts in collection building for the Music Library. More significantly, he had just returned from a European buying trip for the library, and its results included the addition of a dozen books on music, plus recent scores such as Stravinsky's Chant du rossignol and Sacre du printemps, and of several early tone poems by Richard Strauss.

Currently the library holds over 300,000 books, scores, periodicals and microforms.

The Sniderman Recordings Collection, 180,000 sound recordings, from cylinders to blu-ray.

The Olnick Rare Book Room, 2,500 volumes exemplifying the history of music and of music editing, performance and printing -- from liturgical manuscripts and early printed treatises, to first editions of Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and Gershwin, and early Canadian sheet music and tune books. A significant number of 18th- and 19th-century opera full scores, with particular strength in the French repertoire, complements the large libretto holdings of the Central Library.

Justina M. Barnicke Art Gallery

  • Corporate body
  • ca 1980s - present

The Justina M. Barnicke Gallery is housed with Hart House, and for a long time was managed as an independent art gallery. In the late 2000s, the gallery became one of 2 Art Museums (along with the University of Toronto Art Centre) managed centrally by the University of Toronto.

University of Toronto. Department of Botany

  • Corporate body
  • 1909-2006

The Department of Botany was established in 1909 and abolished in 2006 with the creation of the Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology (EEB)

University of Toronto. Office of the Vice-President and Provost

  • Corporate body
  • 1963 - current

Established in 1963 as the Office of the Vice-President (Academic). Name changed to the Office of the Provost in 1965 and in 1968 to the Office of the Executive Vice-President (Academic) and Provost. In 1972, the name was changed to the Office of the Vice-President and Provost.
Currently includes:
Vice-Provost, Academic
Vice-Provost, Faculty and Academic Life
Vice-Provost, Graduate Research and Education
Vice-Provost, Innovations in Undergraduate Education
Vice-Provost, Relations with Health Care Institutions
Vice-Provost, Students
Vice-President, University Operations

Formerly included:
Office of the Assistant Vice-President (Finance)
Office of the Assistant Vice-President (Planning) and University Registrar)
Office of the Executive Vice-President (Academic) and Provost
Office of the Executive Vice-President (Non-Academic)
Office of the Provost
Office of the Vice-President (Academic)
Office of the Vice-President (Administration)
Office of the Vice-President (Business Affairs)
Office of the Vice-President (Campus and Community Affairs)
Office of the Vice-President (External Affairs)
Office of the Vice-President (Health Sciences)
Office of the Vice-President (Institutional Relations)
Office of the Vice-President (Institutional Relations and Planning)
Office of the Vice-President (Internal Affairs)
Office of the Vice-President (Personnel and Student Affairs)
Office of the Vice-President (Research Administration)
Office of the Vice-President (Research and Governmental Relations)
Office of the Vice-President (Research and Planning)
Office of the Vice-President (Research and Planning) and Registrar
Office of the Vice-President (Research)

University of Toronto. Office of the Vice-Provost, Students and First-Entry Divisions

  • Corporate body
  • Current

The Vice-Provost, Students is responsible for University-wide student policy issues, Enrolment Services, the Centre for International Experience (CIE), and for ensuring that programs and services are available through the Division of Student Life to provide an excellent experience for University of Toronto students. The Vice-Provost, Students also reports on assessment initiatives such as NSSE (National Survey of Student Engagement). - from http://www.viceprovoststudents.utoronto.ca/Page2256.aspx

University of Toronto. Media Relations

  • Corporate body
  • ca. 2000s - current

The Media Relations office is held within the Strategic Communications and Marketing office, under the Office of the Vice-President, International.

University of Toronto Art Centre (UTAC)

  • Corporate body
  • 1996-current

The University of Toronto Art Centre opened to the public in November of 1996. It was created by a collective effort of many University of Toronto staff and volunteers. An initial gift from the Delta Gamma Women's Fraternity made the conversion of the 1961 north wing of University College possible. The purpose of the Art Centre was to provide a home for three permanent collections of art belonging to the University: the Lillian Malcove Collection (which came to us by bequest in 1981), the University College Collection (Canadian art), and the large and eclectic University of Toronto Art Collection. - from http://www.utac.utoronto.ca/index.php/about-us

University of Toronto. Division of University Advancement

  • Corporate body
  • ca. 1970s - current

The Division of University Advancement (DUA) promotes and supports the University of Toronto by engaging a worldwide community of more than 537,000 alumni, plus many donors and friends. The uniquely integrated structure of University Advancement encourages each division to bring its particular strengths and expertise to the common cause of advancing U of T’s relations with alumni, donors, and friends.

Williams, Edith Bickerton

  • Person
  • 1899-1979

Edith Bickerton Williams, known to all as "Bud", was born in Toronto on 24 June, 1899. She was educated for ten years at a "Glen Mawr", a private school for girls run by a Miss Veal. She entered University College as an Arts student in the fall of 1916, but did not find the program much to her liking and failed second year. About 1925 she went to Britain to work in a bank. Her mother tried to persuade her to stay but she returned to Canada in 1927. At some point in the 1920s she was diagnosed with a mild case of tuberculosis. Subsequently, she raised poultry at Aurora for ten years before deciding to attend the Ontario Veterinary College in Guelph. She graduated in 1941, the second woman in Ontario to do so. She then set up her own practice at 675 St. Clair Avenue West in Toronto.

A warm-hearted, outgoing woman, Bud loved all animals, and early on developed a passion for mountain climbing.

At the end of December, 1976, she suffered a severe stroke and made only a partial recovery, never leaving hospital for long. In 1979 she had two more, and on 24 November she died.

While Frieda Fraser was still a child, she met Bud and they became friends though they attended different schools. Once they were both in university, their friendship blossomed into a relationship that lasted until Bud's death. They were not "out" in the convention of the lesbian/gay liberation era, but they made no attempt to hide their affection for each other. The outpouring of support while Bud lay bedridden in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Toronto indicated how well they had become accepted by a wide circle of friends and colleagues.

University of Toronto. Department of Ophthalmology and Vision

  • Corporate body
  • 1903 - current

The Department was established in 1903 when the Chair of Ophthalmology, Otology , Laryngology and Rhinology split to form the Chair of Ophthalmology and Otology, and the Chair of Larynology and Rhinology. Became the Department of Ophthalmology in 1908

Hogg, Thomas Henry

  • Person
  • 1884-1958

Thomas Henry Hogg (Dip. 1907; BASc. 1908; CE 1914, DEng 1927, PEng) played a leading role in the development of Hydro-Electric Power in Ontario. He joined the Hydro Electric Power Commission of Ontario in 1913, and after a series of responsible appointments, became Chairman and Chief Engineer in 1937, serving in that capacity for the next 10 years.

Following his retirement in 1947, he became an advisor and planner of further vast power developments on the Niagara and St. Lawrence Rivers. He was retained as a consultant for projects in Brazil and several Canadian Provinces.

In 1940, he became President of the Engineering Institute of Canada, and he received the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario Gold Medal in 1959.

Toronto School of Medicine

  • Corporate body
  • 1851-1887

The Toronto School of Medicine was founded by Dr. John Rolph in 1851. When the University of Toronto reconstituted its Faculty of Medicine in 1887, it absorbed the Toronto School of Medicine, leading to its closure.

University of Toronto. School of Hygiene

  • Corporate body
  • 1924-1975

The School of Hygiene was initiated in 1924 and opening in 1927. The School was dissolved in 1975 and partially succeeded by the Division of Community Health of the Faculty of Medicine. Several public health crises, including the SARS epidemic of 2003, spurred a resurgent interest in public health in Canada. The School was reborn in 2008 and renamed the Dalla Lana School of Public Health.

Victoria College (Toronto, Ont.). Women's Literary Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1890-[1927?]

The Women's Literary Society was formed during the 1890-1891 academic year. It had an aim to provide interesting discussion of literary topics. The stated object was "literary improvement and social intercourse" and to provide "a focus for women's activities." The Society met bi-monthly and also held a joint meeting with the Men's Literary Society at regular intervals.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Committee of Management

  • Corporate body
  • 1903-1932

The Committee of Management was constituted in 1903 with the opening of Annesley Hall. The Board of Regents had resolved the year earlier that a group of ladies be organized to oversee the administration of women's residences. Many of the members were also members of the Barbara Heck Memorial Association (V.W.A.) who continued to be involved with the women's residence. The constitution of the Committee of Management gave its members charge of the regulations for students, the direction of finances, and the appointment of staff. Standing committees were also appointed in order to overlook finances, the gymnasium and the infirmary. The Committee had eighteen members, nominated by the VWA and approved by the Board of Regents. Margaret Burwash (1902-13), Mrs. R. N. (Mary Jane Crossen) Burns (1913-30), and Mrs. A. E. (Florence Warner) Lang (1930-32) served as Presidents. Beginning in 1920, the Committee of Management lost most of it's power over the finances of the residences. In 1932, the Board of Regents hired a warden to take over the administration of residences from the Committee of Management and the Committee merged into the Women’s Council.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Investment Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1893-1904, 1960-

An Investment Committee was first appointed at the Board meeting of May 4, 1893. Members were Dr. Burwash, Dr. Potts, Mr. Massey, Mr.Gooderham, Mr. Walker and Cosen. They first reported to the Board of Regents that year and continued to report until 1904. After that period, the Finance Committee made decisions over investments as well as its successor, the Finance and Property Committee. In 1960, the Investment Committee was re-established as a sub-committee of the Finance and Property Committee (later the Financial Management and Planning Committee). In 1992, the Investment Committee was made a standing committee to the Board of Regents distinct from the Financial Management and Planning Committee. Its purpose is to determine how funds belonging to the Endowment of Victoria University are to be invested as well as providing advice to the Board of Regents concerning investment activities.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Wymilwood Building Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1950-1954

In 1949 the Board of Regents made the decision to surrender the lease of 84 Queen’s Park (Wymilwood) to the University of Toronto. The agreement allowed Victoria University to retain the rights to the name Wymilwood and plans were put in place to build a new student union under that name. In 1950, the Planning Committee recommended that the Wymilwood Building Committee be established and put in charge of overseeing the project. The Wymilwood Building Committee recommended the appointment of Fleury and Arthur Architects to design the ‘new’ Wymilwood. In 1951 a sub-committee was established to look after furnishing the new building. The cornerstone for the building was also laid that year.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Space Use Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1971-

In 1971, the Campus Centre Committee was reconstituted to become the Space Use Committee and was tasked with examining the problems with space on campus as the student population grew. The Committee was divided into 5 sub-committees designated Academic, Library, Recreation and Services, Inventory of Space and Technical Services. Each committee examined its area of concern and reported back to the main committee with its findings and recommendations. They were asked to examine the solution to the problems of space.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Audit Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1981-2016

In 1981, it was noted at a Board of Regents meeting that there was a need for boards to have financial accountability and ensure that all comments made by their auditors were considered seriously and that appropriate steps were taken in response. A motion was carried to appoint an audit committee made up of 5 members to review the annual financial statement before receipt by the Finance and Property Committee and the annual post-audit statement submitted by the auditors. In consultation with the President, Bursar and the Chief Accountant, the committee would ensure that the auditors’ recommendations were acted upon in appropriate ways. The Committee’s first Chairman was Mr. R. I. Priddle. The Bursar and the Chief Accountant were consultants on the Committee. The Committee first met in June of 1981. The Committee reports the Board of Regents annually. In 2016 it was decided to merge the Audit Committee with the Finance Committee to create a new Finance and Audit Committee.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Women's Council

  • Corporate body
  • 1932-1952

In 1932, after the Board of Regents hired a warden to take over the administration of residences from the Committee of Management (they had already lost financial control of the residences in 1920), the focus changed and the Committee merged into the Women’s Council. The first meeting was held on June 28th, 1932. The Women's Council acted as an advisory committee to the Dean of Women, administered bequests for needy students and the Tennis Fund, and aided in projects such as the Wymilwood Sunday Evening Concerts, the Wymilwood Reading Room, etc. In 1947, recommendations were made that the Women's Council be asked re-organize itself and serve the University by supporting women's organizations on campus - thus losing all control over residences (The Women's Residence Committee, a standing committee of the Board was established in 1948 with 2 members of the Women's Council ). The Women's Council was disbanded in 1952

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Task Force Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1972-1976

In 1972, Manufacturer's Life Insurance Company (Manulife) approached the University regarding a development project for the eastern end of the campus bounded by Sultan Street, St. Thomas Street and Charles Street.. The project required Vic supplying land and Manulife supplying development capital and all of the expertise and management necessary to bring such a project into being. The Board of Regents, set up the Task Force on the Charles Street lands in 1973 to look into the proposed development described above (Initially the Property Sub-Committee was looking into the issue). The initial Task Force consisted of representatives from Manulife and the University. Manulife pulled out on the plan in early 1973, but the University decided that they weren’t going to abandon the property development ideas, just the particular project with Manulife. The Task Force was then made a committee of the Board to carry out forward planning of matters of interest to Victoria University. The first meeting of the Committee was held on March 13, 1973. They hired consultants, architects, held community meetings and engaged with the City planning department.
In 1974, the City declared intent to dezone area from Sherbourne to Queen’s Park to maintain existing level of residential housing. The University protested this plan and the Task Force agreed that the University should collaborate with the other proprietors in the area in trying to maintain the existing zoning "intention to retain some flexibility in the use of our lands."The University hired legal representation and consultants on how to deal with the City. Consultants reported to the Task Force that the Planning Commissioner was prepared to recommend the exemptions of Sultan Street to St. Thomas Street from the City Council’s general plans for this sector of the City.
The Task Force then considered Victoria’s position vis-à-vis the plans of the City for the Charles Street area. Mr. Trueman of the City planning department had been invited to explain the manner in which the new city by-law had changed the permitted uses of our property. Mr. Trueman indicated that there was some flexibility in the planning regulations at this time and that the Planning Department would be pleased to receive proposals for the use of the land and would assist in the planning if requested to do so. The Committee felt that the future plans of the adjacent owners should be investigated and then a decision made on whether or not the properties should be leased or sold (March 18, 1976).

Ames, Alfred Ernest

  • Person
  • 1866-1934

Alfred Ernest Ames served as Chairman of the Board of Regents from 1933-1934. He first became a member of the Board in 1898 and in 1915 he was appointed as Chairman of the Executive Committee and Vice-Chairman of the Board. He also served on the Finance Committee and the Plans and Buildings Committee.

University of Toronto. Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education

  • Corporate body
  • 2011-current

The Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education (KPE) was originally established in January 1998 as the Faculty of Physical Education and Health by the merger of the former School of Physical and Health Education (SPHE), the Graduate Program of Exercise Sciences (‘housed’ in Community Health) and the former Department of Athletics and Recreation. The DAR had been created in May 1977 by a merger of the formerly separate women’s and men’s athletics and recreation departments. FC is essentially a continuation of the former SPHE Council, whereas CAR is the successor to the former DAR Council. - from https://kpe.utoronto.ca/about/governance/governance-history

The School of Physical and Health Education was created in 1941 when it superseded the Department of of Physical and Health Education and merged with the Margaret Eaton School.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Nominating Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1941-1987

In November of 1941, the President suggested that a Nominating Committee be appointed to nominate new members for the Board, including the bi-annual revision of nominations to be presented to the General Council of the United Church. The Committee first reported to the Board at the March 20, 1942 meeting. In 1987, a change to the By-Law One combined the Nominating and the Appointment Committees.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Appointments Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1952-1987

Prior to 1952, the President made recommendations for the appointment of teaching staff and lecturers at the University. In 1952, a standing committee of the Board was established. In 1987 with a change to the By-Law One, the Nominating and the Appointments Committees were combined.

Alexander, Ruth Marion

  • Person
  • 1929-

Ruth Marion Alexander (nee Manning) is a graduate of Victoria College 5T0. She served as the Chairman of the Board of Regents from 1989-1992.

Results 2401 to 2450 of 3466