Showing 3521 results

People and organizations

Justina M. Barnicke Art Gallery

  • Corporate body
  • ca 1980s - present

The Justina M. Barnicke Gallery is housed with Hart House, and for a long time was managed as an independent art gallery. In the late 2000s, the gallery became one of 2 Art Museums (along with the University of Toronto Art Centre) managed centrally by the University of Toronto.

University of Toronto. Department of Botany

  • Corporate body
  • 1909-2006

The Department of Botany was established in 1909 and abolished in 2006 with the creation of the Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology (EEB)

University of Toronto. Office of the Vice-President and Provost

  • Corporate body
  • 1963 - current

Established in 1963 as the Office of the Vice-President (Academic). Name changed to the Office of the Provost in 1965 and in 1968 to the Office of the Executive Vice-President (Academic) and Provost. In 1972, the name was changed to the Office of the Vice-President and Provost.
Currently includes:
Vice-Provost, Academic
Vice-Provost, Faculty and Academic Life
Vice-Provost, Graduate Research and Education
Vice-Provost, Innovations in Undergraduate Education
Vice-Provost, Relations with Health Care Institutions
Vice-Provost, Students
Vice-President, University Operations

Formerly included:
Office of the Assistant Vice-President (Finance)
Office of the Assistant Vice-President (Planning) and University Registrar)
Office of the Executive Vice-President (Academic) and Provost
Office of the Executive Vice-President (Non-Academic)
Office of the Provost
Office of the Vice-President (Academic)
Office of the Vice-President (Administration)
Office of the Vice-President (Business Affairs)
Office of the Vice-President (Campus and Community Affairs)
Office of the Vice-President (External Affairs)
Office of the Vice-President (Health Sciences)
Office of the Vice-President (Institutional Relations)
Office of the Vice-President (Institutional Relations and Planning)
Office of the Vice-President (Internal Affairs)
Office of the Vice-President (Personnel and Student Affairs)
Office of the Vice-President (Research Administration)
Office of the Vice-President (Research and Governmental Relations)
Office of the Vice-President (Research and Planning)
Office of the Vice-President (Research and Planning) and Registrar
Office of the Vice-President (Research)

University of Toronto. Office of the Vice-Provost, Students and First-Entry Divisions

  • Corporate body
  • Current

The Vice-Provost, Students is responsible for University-wide student policy issues, Enrolment Services, the Centre for International Experience (CIE), and for ensuring that programs and services are available through the Division of Student Life to provide an excellent experience for University of Toronto students. The Vice-Provost, Students also reports on assessment initiatives such as NSSE (National Survey of Student Engagement). - from http://www.viceprovoststudents.utoronto.ca/Page2256.aspx

University of Toronto. Media Relations

  • Corporate body
  • ca. 2000s - current

The Media Relations office is held within the Strategic Communications and Marketing office, under the Office of the Vice-President, International.

University of Toronto Art Centre (UTAC)

  • Corporate body
  • 1996-current

The University of Toronto Art Centre opened to the public in November of 1996. It was created by a collective effort of many University of Toronto staff and volunteers. An initial gift from the Delta Gamma Women's Fraternity made the conversion of the 1961 north wing of University College possible. The purpose of the Art Centre was to provide a home for three permanent collections of art belonging to the University: the Lillian Malcove Collection (which came to us by bequest in 1981), the University College Collection (Canadian art), and the large and eclectic University of Toronto Art Collection. - from http://www.utac.utoronto.ca/index.php/about-us

University of Toronto. Division of University Advancement

  • Corporate body
  • ca. 1970s - current

The Division of University Advancement (DUA) promotes and supports the University of Toronto by engaging a worldwide community of more than 537,000 alumni, plus many donors and friends. The uniquely integrated structure of University Advancement encourages each division to bring its particular strengths and expertise to the common cause of advancing U of T’s relations with alumni, donors, and friends.

Williams, Edith Bickerton

  • Person
  • 1899-1979

Edith Bickerton Williams, known to all as "Bud", was born in Toronto on 24 June, 1899. She was educated for ten years at a "Glen Mawr", a private school for girls run by a Miss Veal. She entered University College as an Arts student in the fall of 1916, but did not find the program much to her liking and failed second year. About 1925 she went to Britain to work in a bank. Her mother tried to persuade her to stay but she returned to Canada in 1927. At some point in the 1920s she was diagnosed with a mild case of tuberculosis. Subsequently, she raised poultry at Aurora for ten years before deciding to attend the Ontario Veterinary College in Guelph. She graduated in 1941, the second woman in Ontario to do so. She then set up her own practice at 675 St. Clair Avenue West in Toronto.

A warm-hearted, outgoing woman, Bud loved all animals, and early on developed a passion for mountain climbing.

At the end of December, 1976, she suffered a severe stroke and made only a partial recovery, never leaving hospital for long. In 1979 she had two more, and on 24 November she died.

While Frieda Fraser was still a child, she met Bud and they became friends though they attended different schools. Once they were both in university, their friendship blossomed into a relationship that lasted until Bud's death. They were not "out" in the convention of the lesbian/gay liberation era, but they made no attempt to hide their affection for each other. The outpouring of support while Bud lay bedridden in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Toronto indicated how well they had become accepted by a wide circle of friends and colleagues.

University of Toronto. Department of Ophthalmology and Vision

  • Corporate body
  • 1903 - current

The Department was established in 1903 when the Chair of Ophthalmology, Otology , Laryngology and Rhinology split to form the Chair of Ophthalmology and Otology, and the Chair of Larynology and Rhinology. Became the Department of Ophthalmology in 1908

Hogg, Thomas Henry

  • Person
  • 1884-1958

Thomas Henry Hogg (Dip. 1907; BASc. 1908; CE 1914, DEng 1927, PEng) played a leading role in the development of Hydro-Electric Power in Ontario. He joined the Hydro Electric Power Commission of Ontario in 1913, and after a series of responsible appointments, became Chairman and Chief Engineer in 1937, serving in that capacity for the next 10 years.

Following his retirement in 1947, he became an advisor and planner of further vast power developments on the Niagara and St. Lawrence Rivers. He was retained as a consultant for projects in Brazil and several Canadian Provinces.

In 1940, he became President of the Engineering Institute of Canada, and he received the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario Gold Medal in 1959.

Toronto School of Medicine

  • Corporate body
  • 1851-1887

The Toronto School of Medicine was founded by Dr. John Rolph in 1851. When the University of Toronto reconstituted its Faculty of Medicine in 1887, it absorbed the Toronto School of Medicine, leading to its closure.

University of Toronto. School of Hygiene

  • Corporate body
  • 1924-1975

The School of Hygiene was initiated in 1924 and opening in 1927. The School was dissolved in 1975 and partially succeeded by the Division of Community Health of the Faculty of Medicine. Several public health crises, including the SARS epidemic of 2003, spurred a resurgent interest in public health in Canada. The School was reborn in 2008 and renamed the Dalla Lana School of Public Health.

Victoria College (Toronto, Ont.). Women's Literary Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1890-[1927?]

The Women's Literary Society was formed during the 1890-1891 academic year. It had an aim to provide interesting discussion of literary topics. The stated object was "literary improvement and social intercourse" and to provide "a focus for women's activities." The Society met bi-monthly and also held a joint meeting with the Men's Literary Society at regular intervals.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Committee of Management

  • Corporate body
  • 1903-1932

The Committee of Management was constituted in 1903 with the opening of Annesley Hall. The Board of Regents had resolved the year earlier that a group of ladies be organized to oversee the administration of women's residences. Many of the members were also members of the Barbara Heck Memorial Association (V.W.A.) who continued to be involved with the women's residence. The constitution of the Committee of Management gave its members charge of the regulations for students, the direction of finances, and the appointment of staff. Standing committees were also appointed in order to overlook finances, the gymnasium and the infirmary. The Committee had eighteen members, nominated by the VWA and approved by the Board of Regents. Margaret Burwash (1902-13), Mrs. R. N. (Mary Jane Crossen) Burns (1913-30), and Mrs. A. E. (Florence Warner) Lang (1930-32) served as Presidents. Beginning in 1920, the Committee of Management lost most of it's power over the finances of the residences. In 1932, the Board of Regents hired a warden to take over the administration of residences from the Committee of Management and the Committee merged into the Women’s Council.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Investment Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1893-1904, 1960-

An Investment Committee was first appointed at the Board meeting of May 4, 1893. Members were Dr. Burwash, Dr. Potts, Mr. Massey, Mr.Gooderham, Mr. Walker and Cosen. They first reported to the Board of Regents that year and continued to report until 1904. After that period, the Finance Committee made decisions over investments as well as its successor, the Finance and Property Committee. In 1960, the Investment Committee was re-established as a sub-committee of the Finance and Property Committee (later the Financial Management and Planning Committee). In 1992, the Investment Committee was made a standing committee to the Board of Regents distinct from the Financial Management and Planning Committee. Its purpose is to determine how funds belonging to the Endowment of Victoria University are to be invested as well as providing advice to the Board of Regents concerning investment activities.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Wymilwood Building Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1950-1954

In 1949 the Board of Regents made the decision to surrender the lease of 84 Queen’s Park (Wymilwood) to the University of Toronto. The agreement allowed Victoria University to retain the rights to the name Wymilwood and plans were put in place to build a new student union under that name. In 1950, the Planning Committee recommended that the Wymilwood Building Committee be established and put in charge of overseeing the project. The Wymilwood Building Committee recommended the appointment of Fleury and Arthur Architects to design the ‘new’ Wymilwood. In 1951 a sub-committee was established to look after furnishing the new building. The cornerstone for the building was also laid that year.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Space Use Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1971-

In 1971, the Campus Centre Committee was reconstituted to become the Space Use Committee and was tasked with examining the problems with space on campus as the student population grew. The Committee was divided into 5 sub-committees designated Academic, Library, Recreation and Services, Inventory of Space and Technical Services. Each committee examined its area of concern and reported back to the main committee with its findings and recommendations. They were asked to examine the solution to the problems of space.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Audit Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1981-2016

In 1981, it was noted at a Board of Regents meeting that there was a need for boards to have financial accountability and ensure that all comments made by their auditors were considered seriously and that appropriate steps were taken in response. A motion was carried to appoint an audit committee made up of 5 members to review the annual financial statement before receipt by the Finance and Property Committee and the annual post-audit statement submitted by the auditors. In consultation with the President, Bursar and the Chief Accountant, the committee would ensure that the auditors’ recommendations were acted upon in appropriate ways. The Committee’s first Chairman was Mr. R. I. Priddle. The Bursar and the Chief Accountant were consultants on the Committee. The Committee first met in June of 1981. The Committee reports the Board of Regents annually. In 2016 it was decided to merge the Audit Committee with the Finance Committee to create a new Finance and Audit Committee.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Women's Council

  • Corporate body
  • 1932-1952

In 1932, after the Board of Regents hired a warden to take over the administration of residences from the Committee of Management (they had already lost financial control of the residences in 1920), the focus changed and the Committee merged into the Women’s Council. The first meeting was held on June 28th, 1932. The Women's Council acted as an advisory committee to the Dean of Women, administered bequests for needy students and the Tennis Fund, and aided in projects such as the Wymilwood Sunday Evening Concerts, the Wymilwood Reading Room, etc. In 1947, recommendations were made that the Women's Council be asked re-organize itself and serve the University by supporting women's organizations on campus - thus losing all control over residences (The Women's Residence Committee, a standing committee of the Board was established in 1948 with 2 members of the Women's Council ). The Women's Council was disbanded in 1952

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Task Force Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1972-1976

In 1972, Manufacturer's Life Insurance Company (Manulife) approached the University regarding a development project for the eastern end of the campus bounded by Sultan Street, St. Thomas Street and Charles Street.. The project required Vic supplying land and Manulife supplying development capital and all of the expertise and management necessary to bring such a project into being. The Board of Regents, set up the Task Force on the Charles Street lands in 1973 to look into the proposed development described above (Initially the Property Sub-Committee was looking into the issue). The initial Task Force consisted of representatives from Manulife and the University. Manulife pulled out on the plan in early 1973, but the University decided that they weren’t going to abandon the property development ideas, just the particular project with Manulife. The Task Force was then made a committee of the Board to carry out forward planning of matters of interest to Victoria University. The first meeting of the Committee was held on March 13, 1973. They hired consultants, architects, held community meetings and engaged with the City planning department.
In 1974, the City declared intent to dezone area from Sherbourne to Queen’s Park to maintain existing level of residential housing. The University protested this plan and the Task Force agreed that the University should collaborate with the other proprietors in the area in trying to maintain the existing zoning "intention to retain some flexibility in the use of our lands."The University hired legal representation and consultants on how to deal with the City. Consultants reported to the Task Force that the Planning Commissioner was prepared to recommend the exemptions of Sultan Street to St. Thomas Street from the City Council’s general plans for this sector of the City.
The Task Force then considered Victoria’s position vis-à-vis the plans of the City for the Charles Street area. Mr. Trueman of the City planning department had been invited to explain the manner in which the new city by-law had changed the permitted uses of our property. Mr. Trueman indicated that there was some flexibility in the planning regulations at this time and that the Planning Department would be pleased to receive proposals for the use of the land and would assist in the planning if requested to do so. The Committee felt that the future plans of the adjacent owners should be investigated and then a decision made on whether or not the properties should be leased or sold (March 18, 1976).

Ames, Alfred Ernest

  • Person
  • 1866-1934

Alfred Ernest Ames served as Chairman of the Board of Regents from 1933-1934. He first became a member of the Board in 1898 and in 1915 he was appointed as Chairman of the Executive Committee and Vice-Chairman of the Board. He also served on the Finance Committee and the Plans and Buildings Committee.

University of Toronto. Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education

  • Corporate body
  • 2011-current

The Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education (KPE) was originally established in January 1998 as the Faculty of Physical Education and Health by the merger of the former School of Physical and Health Education (SPHE), the Graduate Program of Exercise Sciences (‘housed’ in Community Health) and the former Department of Athletics and Recreation. The DAR had been created in May 1977 by a merger of the formerly separate women’s and men’s athletics and recreation departments. FC is essentially a continuation of the former SPHE Council, whereas CAR is the successor to the former DAR Council. - from https://kpe.utoronto.ca/about/governance/governance-history

The School of Physical and Health Education was created in 1941 when it superseded the Department of of Physical and Health Education and merged with the Margaret Eaton School.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Nominating Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1941-1987

In November of 1941, the President suggested that a Nominating Committee be appointed to nominate new members for the Board, including the bi-annual revision of nominations to be presented to the General Council of the United Church. The Committee first reported to the Board at the March 20, 1942 meeting. In 1987, a change to the By-Law One combined the Nominating and the Appointment Committees.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Appointments Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1952-1987

Prior to 1952, the President made recommendations for the appointment of teaching staff and lecturers at the University. In 1952, a standing committee of the Board was established. In 1987 with a change to the By-Law One, the Nominating and the Appointments Committees were combined.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Burwash Hall and Men’s Residence Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1924-1955

The Committee was established 1924. The Committee had responsibility for the general supervision of the residences on behalf of the Board. They looked after financial matters, property and Physical Plant, supervision of Residence personnel, admissions and student life in the residence. In 1955 the Committee merged with the Women’s Residence Committee to form the Committee on Residences and Services

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Public Relations Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1950-1978

The Public Relations Committee was formed in 1950 to study means and methods for raising funds for the University and consider the whole question of public relations at the University. In the Board minutes of November 16, 1978, it was noted that the Committee had had difficulty in defining an effective role for itself and as a result a motion was put forward to amend the By-Law and change the name and terms of reference of the Public Relations Committee to the Committee on External Relations and Development.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Centenary Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1931-1936

The Centenary Committee had been appointed by the Senate on May 1, 1931. The Board of Regents was asked to approve the appointment. The Committee recommended to the Board and to the Senate that on June 7th, 1932, the centenary of the laying of the corner stone of the Upper Canada Academy in Cobourg, a pilgrimage to Cobourg be undertaken in celebration. A sub-committee was appointed to make arrangements for the event. In April of 1935, the Committee presented an interim report, outlining proposals for the celebration to be held in October of 1936.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Installation Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1929-1931

In 1929, the Board of Regents appointed a special committee to "consider the resignation of Chancellor Bowles and to recommend appropriate action with reference thereto and to consider and recommend a successor so that Chancellor Bowles may be relieved of his duties and responsibilities as soon as possible." The Special Committee also considered the appointment of a new Chancellor and recommended to the Board the appointment of Dr. Edward Wallace as the Chancellor and President. The Chairman was then asked to appoint a Committee to arrange for the Installation of the new President and the retirement of Chancellor Bowles. The events organized by the Committee fell on January 30th and January 31st of 1930/.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Wymilwood Management Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1952-1954

In 1952, the name of Wymilwood was decided upon for the new Victoria College Student's Union. The Management Committee of Victoria College Student's Union thus became the Wymilwood Management Committee. The Committee worked in co-operation with the Student's Activities Committee to create rules and regulations under which Wymilwood operated.The Committee also was responsible for overseeing the finances of the Union. In 1954, the Committee on Residences and Services took over responsibility for the Union.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Steering Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1972-1973

The Steering Committee was established in 1972 as an ad-hoc committee and was made up of 4 sub-committees: Library (long-term role), Finance, Academic and Real Estate Development and Non-Academic Areas. The terms of reference of the Committee was to consider the short and long range financial and developmental situation of Victoria University in the four areas. The Committee looked at policies, governing structures and relationships with U of T and the United Church and the the problems facing the University.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Joint Committee on Art

  • Corporate body
  • 1948-1950

In 1948, the Board of Regents received a letter from the Senate of Victoria University requesting that the Board set aside a sum of money annually to be expended from time to time on portraits and other works of art and that a joint committee of the Board and Senate be set u, whose duty it would be to recommend the securing of portraits and other works of art, and that the disposition of all portraits and works of art in the College halls would be made on the report of such committee.

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Board of Regents Committee appointed to nominate a Chancellor

  • Corporate body
  • 1944-

Prior to 1944, the Executive Committee made recommendations for the appointment of the position of Chancellor and President. In 1944, following the Victoria University Act, 1944 and the resignation of W.T. Brown as Chancellor (he remained President), the Executive Committee moved that a sub-committee by appointed to present a nomination for the office of Chancellor. In 1951, the Executive Committee again appointed a committee to nominate a chancellor. In 1960, the President asked for a review of the position of Chancellor and a committee was formed to study the role of the Chancellor: “The President stated that the term of the present Chancellor would expire in about a year and half and that he considered it very worthwhile to have a special committee appointed to study and examine the office of the Chancellor, together with the duties and responsibilities which attach thereto (Board of Regents Minutes October 20, 1960).” In 1974, the Executive Committee was again asked to look into the matter of the appointment of a Chancellor. In 1975, the President proposed that an ad-hoc Committee to review the Chancellorship be established (Committee on the Chancellorship). The Committee was to look at the exact role of Chancellor and what type of person would enhance the position and the University. In 1978 the Committee on the Chancellorship reported to the Board that they believed that there should again be a Chancellor and they proposed Northrop Frye for the position. The Advisory Committee to Appoint a Chancellor was again struck in 1991 following Frye's death and again in 1997 as the Chancellorship Committee.

Bigwood, Joan M.

  • Person
  • 1937-2017

Born in Stonehaven (Aberdeenshire), Scotland in 1937, Joan M. Bigwood was the third of four children of a Presbyterian minister. As a youth she was an accomplished cellist and played in the Scottish National Youth Orchestra. She received her Master’s degree in Latin & Greek in 1958 from the University of St. Andrews. After a year at the Moray House College of Education in Edinburgh (1958-1959), she went to Cambridge, MA on a full scholarship from Radcliffe College to pursue doctoral studies in Classics (Latin & Greek) at Harvard University. She completed her PhD there in 1964 with a dissertation entitled “Ctesias of Cnidus.” That same year, she was hired by Victoria College as a Lecturer (1964-1966) and Don of the Victoria University Women’s Residence (1964-1967). She became an Assistant Professor in 1966 and made an Associate Professor in 1975. She retired from the Department of Classics in 2001.
Professor Bigwood’s area of research specialization was Greek history of the fifth and fourth centuries BCE, to which she joined an interest in the history and antiquities of Achaemenid Persia. She published a series of articles in this area dealing with a wide range of subjects, from Ctesias as a historian of the Persian Wars (Phoenix 32 [1978] 19-41) and of India (Phoenix 43 [1989] 302-16), to his description of the city of Babylon and its monuments (AJAH 3 [1978] 32-52, and his understanding of North West India in Achaemenid times (JHS 115 [1995] 135-40). Her research mainly focused on how ancient authors worked, how Greeks perceived non-Greek peoples and cultures, and questions of trade and cultural exchange. After her retirement in 2001, she turned her attention to the investigation of the representation of Persian women in Greek historiography, with articles on incestuous marriage in Achaemenid Iran, the Parthian queen Mousa, the queen-mother Sisygambis, and women in the ancient accounts of Alexander.
Over her long career at Victoria College, she served in a variety of capacities, from her initial service as a Don in the women’s residence to her long-running service as Discipline Group Representative in Classics. She also served a term as Undergraduate Coordinator in the Department of Classics from 1992-1995 and participated regularly in the annual “High School Classics Day” which brought local high school students to the University of Toronto campus. She also served a term on the Editorial Board of Phoenix, Journal of the Classical Association of Canada from 1981-1984.
Joan M. Bigwood died on February 16, 2017, at the age of 80.

Univeristy of Toronto. Department of Family and Community Medicine

  • Corporate body
  • 1969-current

The University of Toronto’s Department of Family and Community Medicine (DFCM) is recognized internationally for its clinical, educational and research excellence. Our faculty are clinical and academic leaders who are breaking new ground on issues ranging from inner city health, addiction medicine, global health, palliative care, immigrant and aboriginal health, and far more.

Redhill, Michael

  • Person
  • 1966-

Michael Redhill was born in Baltimore, Maryland in 1966, but has lived in Toronto most of his life. Educated in the United States and Canada, he took seven years to complete a three-year BA in acting, film, and finally, English. Since 1988, he has published five collections of poetry, had eight plays of varying lengths performed, and been a cultural critic and essayist.
He has worked as an editor, a ghost-writer, an anthologist, a scriptwriter for film and television, and in leaner times, as a waiter, a house-painter, and a bookseller. He was the publisher and one of the editors of Brick, a journal of things literary. Recent books are Fidelity, a collection of short fiction, from Doubleday Canada, Martin Sloane, a novel from Doubleday Canada (nominated for the Giller Prize, 2001, The Trillium Prize, 2001, The Torgi Award, 2002, The City of Toronto Book Awards, 2002, The Books in Canada/Amazon.com Best First Novel Prize 2002, and winner of the Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best First Book, Canada/Caribbean 2001), Light-crossing, a collection of poetry from Toronto's House of Anansi Press, and Building Jerusalem, a play, from Playwrights' Union Press, (winner of the 2001 Dora Prize for Best New Play, recipient of a Chalmers Award for Playwriting 2001, and nominated for a Governor General's Award 2001). His play, Goodness was published by Coach House Press in 2005 and novel, Consolation came out with Doubleday Canada in the fall of 2006.

Shears, Frank Gould

  • Person
  • 1885-1964

Frank Gould Shears was born in London, England on March 3rd, 1885 and attended the City of London Foundation School. He worked for a time for William Mortimer and Sons, Government Stock Brokers and later helped to oversee the operations of the Armstrong-Gimli Fisheries Export Company. He was hired by the department of the Canadian Secretary of State in 1940, becoming the director of the Vancouver branch of the office of The Custodian of Enemy Property in 1942. He oversaw all operations of the department during the internment of the Japanese, the liquidation of their assets, and through to the settling of their claims upon their return. He retired from this position in 1952, with the closing of the office.

Coach House Press

  • Corporate body
  • 1965-

Long considered one of the leading small-press publishers in Canada, Coach House Press was founded in 1965 by printer Stan Bevington and editor Wayne Clifford. In its formative years, Coach House was a cohesive printing and publishing unit, publishing innovative and activist open-form writers from the United States and Canada in a style characterized by hand-set type and multi-coloured offset printing. In 1974, the single literary editor, who at the time was Victor Coleman, was replaced by an editorial board consisting of Coach House writers and other members of the staff, including Bevington, writers bpNichol, Michael Ondaatje, Frank Davey, David Young, graphic artist Rick/Simon, and writers’ agent, Linda McCartney.
During the 1974-1988 period, the press expanded its scope to publish established writers, such as D.G. Jones, Louis Dudek, Eli Mandel, Dorothy Livesay, Robert Kroetsch, Phyllis Webb, as well as emerging writers. Diverse titles produced include Ondaatje's The Long Poem Anthology
(1979) and Bowering's Fiction of Contemporary Canada (1980), various titles on the history of Canadian photography and architecture and a Quebec translation series of works by Ferron, Brossard, and others. In 1991, Coach House was split into two separate companies: the printing house Coach House Printing, headed by Bevington, and the book publisher Coach House Press, headed by Margaret McClintock. Bevington subsequently tried, unsuccessfully, to reacquire the publishing company. Ultimately, the book publisher declared bankruptcy in 1996, and later the same year Bevington moved the printing company back into book publishing.
The reputation of the new Coach House has been growing steadily since its rebirth in 1997, but it skyrocketed with the publication of Christian Bök’s Eunoia. This work of experimental poetry won the Canadian Griffin Poetry Prize in 2002 and has sold over 19,000 copies. Coach House books have been the recipients of dozens of other awards and nominations, including the Governor General’s Award, the Toronto Book Award, the Commonwealth Writers’ Prize, the Lambda Book Award, the Books in Canada/Amazon.ca First Novel Award and the Trillium Book Award. In 2008, Coach
House was awarded the Province of Ontario’s inaugural Premier’s Award for Excellence in the Arts for Arts Organizations. Coach House has been at the centre of a number of innovations in the use of digital technology in publishing and printing, from computerized phototypesetting to desktop publishing. Notably, the pioneering SGML/XML company, SoftQuad, was founded by Coach House’s Stan Bevington and colleagues Yuri Rubinsky and David Slocombe. Coach House is one of the few Canadian publishing companies that prints its own titles. The printing operations also print books for several other small Canadian publishers and literary magazines.

Drache, Sharon Abron

  • Person
  • [19--]

Sharon Abron Drache attended Forest Hill Collegiate (graduating in 1962) and then completed an undergraduate degree and post-graduate diploma in Psychology at the University of Toronto, the latter from the Institute of Child Study. She was enrolled as a special student in the Department of Religion at Carleton University from 1974-78. She has published four books of adult fiction, The Mikveh Man, Ritual Slaughter, The Golden Ghetto, Barbara Klein-Muskrat –then and now, and two children’s books,The Magic Pot and The Lubavitchers are coming to Second Avenue. She has also worked as a literary journalist and book reviewer for several newspapers and journals including, The Globe and Mail, Ottawa Citizen, Books In Canada, the Glebe Report and The Ottawa and Western Jewish Bulletins.

Griffith, Julius

  • Person
  • 1912-1997

Julius Griffith was a Canadian artist.

Morris, Edmund

  • Person
  • 1871-1913

Edmund Morris was a Canadian artist and descendant of the McLean and Morris families who settled in Elizabethtown (present day Brockville) in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

Mitchell, John

  • Person
  • 1880-1951

John Mitchell was a Canadian lawyer and author, most famous for his book The Yellow Briar. His other works included The Kingdom of America, The Water-Drinker, Robert Harding and the The Settlement of York County.

Niagara Falls International Bridge Company

  • Corporate body
  • fl. 1855-1897

The Niagara Falls International Bridge Company was an American company and one of two companies (the other being the Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge Company) formed to share ownership of the Niagara Falls suspension bridge which was in existence 1855-1897.

Results 2451 to 2500 of 3521