B.A.Sc. (1928) and assistant in the Office of the Superintendent of Grounds.
Married Virginia Marguerite Clark in 1931.
B.A.Sc. (1928) and assistant in the Office of the Superintendent of Grounds.
Married Virginia Marguerite Clark in 1931.
Donald Glen Ivey was born in Clanwilliam, Manitoba on February 6, 1922. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree (1944) and Master of Arts degree (1946) in physics from the University of British Columbia. From 1946 to 1949 he was a research associate at the University of Notre Dame while he studied for his Ph. D which he received in 1949. That same year he joined the University of Toronto’s Department of Physics as Assistant Professor of Physics.
Prof. Ivey spent his entire professional academic career at the University of Toronto moving through the ranks from Assistant Professor to full Professor in 1963. He retired in 1987 and was appointed Professor emeritus in 1987. During his early years with the University, Dr.Ivey supervised graduate students and served as a member of the Associate Committee on High Polymer Research of the National Research Council and on the Executive (including Chairman) of the Canadian High Polymer Forum. In addition to his teaching and research activities, Prof. Ivey held a number of academic and administrative appointments including Principal of New College from 1963-1974, Associate Chairman (Undergraduate Studies) in the Department of Physics (1978-1980) and Vice-president Institutional Relations (1980-1984).
Prof. Ivey is best known for his contributions to the teaching of physics to high school students and their teachers. During the 1950’s and 1960’s, Prof. Ivey and his colleague, Prof. J. N. P. Hume (Computer Science, University of Toronto) prepared and presented over one hundred television programmes for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation on various physics topics. Between 1960 and 1965 Prof. Ivey hosted a regular series of programs for the CBC series “The Nature of Things”. Also during this period, he acted as Examiner and later Examiner-in-chief for the Ontario Grade 13 Physics examination.
Throughout his career Prof. Ivey spoke frequently on the study and teaching of physics at conferences, convocations, and campus events both at the University of Toronto and at other venues across the country and around the world. He published numerous articles and two textbooks on Physics. He has received numerous honours such as the Edison Award for the film “Frames of Reference”(1962), the Award of Honour from University of Notre Dame (1965), and the Robert A. Millikan Award from the American Association of Physics Teachers for “notable and creative contributions to the teaching of physics” in 1987.
Judy Cole Godfrey is a 1961 graduate of the Diploma Programme in Physical and Occupational Therapy. She also completed the Degree Completion Program in Occupational Therapy earning a B.Sc. (O.T.) in 1987. Her recollections of the Diploma Programme are documented in a short memoir included with this fonds. Mrs. Godfrey is an active alumnus of the University and resides in Toronto. Her student notes and related papers were donated in honour of the 50th anniversary of the class of 1961.
Professor of psychology; department chairman, 1969-1974. Died July 24, 1978.
Graduate in architecture in the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering (BASc 1911).
Neil MacKinnon was born in Scotland around 1782. He and his wife, Agnes (Ann) Gillespie, had a number of children, including Christian MacKinnon. Gilbert Wrong Sr. and his wife, Ann (Nancy) Bridgeman, were born in the late 1700s, and were the parents of Gilbert Wrong Jr.
Christian MacKinnon and Gilbert Wrong Jr. were married and settled in Upper Canada, in what is now Elgin County. They had George MacKinnon Wrong on June 25, 1860. He went on to be a lecturer at Wycliffe College, and at the University of Toronto from 1892 until his retirement in 1927.
The patriarch was Patrick. His son, Patrick Walter Hughes, attended Upper Canada College, University College (BA 1887) and Trinity Medical College (MD, CM 1889). He established his own practice and by 1900 was, in addition, a demonstrator in surgery in the Medical Faculty at the U of T. He rose tot he position of assistant professor of clinical surgery and served overseas with No. 4 Hospital Unit during the First World War. He married Minnie Woods, a daughter of Alderman John Woods, and they had two children, Walter Woods ("Woody") and Gertrude. Woody attended University College for one year (1911-12) before leaving for England to take law at Cambridge. He served in Europe during the War and, on returning to Canada, attended Osgoode Law School from which he graduated in 1922. Margaret Woods was a sister of Mrs. McKeown and Helen Ryan was a niece.
Students in the Faculty of Arts and Trinity Medical College.
Head of the department of pathological chemistry at the University of Toronto, until 1947
Student of engineering at the University of Toronto, ca. 1913-1914.
Engineering Graduate, B.A.Sc. 1920
George Peter Richardson was born in Toronto on January 6, 1935, the son of George Grainger Richardson and Margaret Louise Everett. His early education was spent at Upper Canada College where he graduated in 1952. As an undergraduate at the University of Toronto he studied architecture, receiving a Bachelor of Architecture degree in 1957. This was followed by two years of work in the Design Department of John B. Parkin Associates.
In the fall of 1959 he returned to university, this time to study divinity at Knox College, an affiliated college in the University of Toronto. He graduated with a Bachelor of Divinity degree in 1962. As he completed this degree he began to apply to graduate schools in both the United States and Britain to study for a doctorate degree. In April 1962 he was accepted into the Faculty of Divinity at Clare College, Cambridge University in England. By this time, he had married Nancy Jean Cameron (1959) and started a young family. He received his PhD in 1965.
Following his return to Canada, he was appointed Campus Minister (unordained) at the Knox Presbyterian Church in Toronto. In 1969 he received his first academic appointment as Assistant Professor, Theological Studies at Loyola College (now Concordia University) in Montreal. During that period he also served as Assistant to the Dean of Arts (1971-1972), and Assistant to the Academic Vic-President (1972-1973). In 1974, he returned to Toronto to join the University of Toronto and was appointed associate professor of religious studies and Chairman of the Division of Humanities at Scarborough College.
In 1977 he was appointed Principal of University College on the St. George Campus, a position he held until 1989. During this period he was also involved in various University-wide committees relating to planning, research and budgeting. He also sat on several search committees to select deans of the Faculty of Architecture, and Faculty of Arts and Science as well as chairs of departments in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Within the Department of Religious Studies, he was active on committees relating to the development of graduate and undergraduate programmes.
As busy as Prof. Richardson was with his administrative responsibilities, he maintained a steady stream of articles, papers and presentations of scholarly work. He was involved in the writing of 13 books either as sole author, editor, or co-editor, and has published more than 150 articles. Among the earliest of these was the publication of his thesis in 1969 (reprinted in 2005.) From 1986-1996 he was Managing Editor of Studies in Religion, a scholarly journal published by the Canadian Corporation for Studies in Religion, and was editor from 1990-2005 of the monograph series Studies in Christianity and Judaism/Etudes sur le christianisme et le judaïsme.
In addition to scholarly works, Prof. Richardson has prepared many informal works and presentations relating to religious studies and architecture to general audiences at churches such as the Yorkminster Park Baptist Church and the Temple Emmanu-El and other community groups.
His continuing interest in architecture has led to a wide variety of activities, including site architect at archaeological excavations in Israel, a government appointment as Chair, Joint Practice Board (Ontario Association of Architects and the Association of Professional Engineers) and several publications including City and Sanctuary: religion and architecture in the Roman East (2002) and Canadian Churches, an architectural history (2007). From 1994-2000 he served as a member of Board of the Ontario Heritage Foundation where he participated as member and/or chair of committees relating to revenue generation, audit and properties.
Following his retirement in 2000 Professor Richardson was appointed professor emeritus. He has continued to be in demand by organizations seeking his expertise in religious studies. From 2002-2005 he was a member of the Board of Visual Bible International, Inc. (VBI) in which he advised producers of a film on the Gospel of John and other projects.
Prof. Richardson continues to work and live in Toronto.
William E. Carswell was born on June 21, 1897 in Uxbridge Ontario. After serving in WWI, Carswell enrolled in the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering and graduated from the University of Toronto with a degree in Architecture in 1924. In 1929, he began lecturing in architecture and rose through the ranks to become full Professor of Architecture, 1958-1966. In 1959, Carswell designed the stained glass window for the rose window in the West Hall of University College. Carswell was a colour specialist and when he left the University in 1966 to become a consultant, he was made Professor Emeritus. He died in Toronto in 1980.
Professor of physics
Established in 1952 by the graduates of mathematics and physics programmes at the University of Toronto.
Student in mechanical and electrical engineering at the Ontario School of Practical Science from 1900-1903.
This artillery unit was established in 1916 and consisted almost entirely of students and graduates from the University.
Born in Hamilton, Scotland, on 18 Oct 1907. She received a B.A. from the U of T (1930, 2nd class honours in Modern History), M.A. in Public Welfare Administration from the U of T School of Social Work (1935) and Diploma in Social Work (1935). Received a B.A. Oxford University (2nd class honours from the School of Philosophy, Politics and Economics, 1932), and a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago (1951).
-City of Toronto Department of Public Welfare, 1932-1934
-Brantford Department of Public Welfare, Aug-Sept 1935
-Children's Aid Society, Oshawa, Dec 1935-Apr 1936
-Caseworker at Infants' Homes of Toronto, 1936-1939
-Board of Social Studies in Sydney, Australia as teacher of casework, May 1939-Apr 1940
-Acting Director (later Director), Department of Social Work, University of Sydney, Apr 1940-Aug 1945
-Assistant Professor at U of T School of Social Work, 1945-1949
-Canadian Welfare Council - Associate Secretary - Child Welfare; Executive Secretary - Public Welfare; Secretary for Special Projects, 1950-1956
-United Nations Technical Assistance Administration. Consultant and teacher, Iraq, Sept 1952-Aug 1953
-On sabbatical leave. Consultant and teacher, Africa (Ethiopia, United Arab Republic, Ghana), Oct-Dec 1964
-Professor at U of T Faculty of Social Work in social welfare, 1956; retired June 30, 1973
-Consultant to Laurentian University in developing their Social Work Department
Studies on health insurance, reorganization of the child welfare services in Metro Toronto
President, New South Wales Social Workers' Association, 1943-1945
Member, Standing Committee of the child Welfare Advisory Council, N.S.W., 1944-1945
Dora Ridout, daughter of George and Elizabeth Ridout, was born in Toronto on January 23, 1885. She received a private education in Canada and England and graduated from Havergal College in 1905. Dora travelled extensively until her marriage to physician Frederick C. Hood on December 2, 1918. Her son Wharton and daughter Mary Glen were young children when she became a widow in 1927.
Dora Hood found a practical means of supplementing her income in 1928 by purchasing a small mail-order book business from a friend and opened the Book Room, located in her home at 730 Spadina Avenue in Toronto. She quickly mastered the details and intricacies of antiquarian bookselling by utilizing her love of books, her meticulous research skills, retentive memory, natural business acumen and understanding of human nature. Dora Hood was one of the first bookdealers in Toronto to specialize in rare and out-of-print Canadiana. Her first catalogue of Canadiana and Americana was printed in 1929 and her business flourished as her reputation grew in the Canadian book trade. She was agent for twelve major American libraries and her clientele included large academic and public libraries, private collectors and the general public. Dora Hood began compiling an extensive card catalogue in 1948 and became a charter member of the Canadian Retail Booksellers Association in 1951. Dora Hood's Book Room obtained a royal warrant from Buckingham Palace to acquire Canadiana. Dora retired in 1954, selling her thriving business to Dr. William S. Wallace, retired chief librarian at the University of Toronto. The Book Room moved to 34 Ross Street in 1963 and subsequent owners included Julia Jarvis, Jean Tweed and Lawrence Cooper until its closure early in 1982.
Dora Hood provided an intimate view of her experiences as an antiquarian bookseller in her book, The side door: twenty six years in my Book Room, published in 1958. Her book is interspersed with many colourful and lively anecdotes about famous authors, book collectors and collections as well as famous events. She wrote candidly about her apprenticeship to the book trade, how and why she acquired collections of books, how she learned to evaluate and accurately price volumes and gave insightful details about her colleagues and clients. In 1964, her second book, Davidson Black : a biography, was published. Her aim was to shed light on the life and scientific career of this relatively obscure Canadian anatomist and anthropologist, heralded worldwide as the discoverer of Peking man in 1929. Her brief biography is well written, collecting the scattered records of Black's life and full of scientific and human interest. She later wrote essays and conducted historical research.
She was an active member of the Ontario Historical Society, the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, the Royal Ontario Museum and the Canadian Hearing Society until her death on March 8, 1974 in Toronto. Dora Hood will be long remembered as a pioneer bookseller specializing in Canadiana, for her contributions to Canadian bibliography and especially for her unique book highlighting the antiquarian book trade in Canada. Many of her publications enrich the Canadiana collection of the National Library and a nearly complete run of her catalogues is also held by the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library of the University of Toronto.
Freshman at King's College in 1843.
A student in Arts at Trinity College (1934-1941) and in the University Extension program (1951), and a member of No. 4 Company, University of Toronto Contingent, Canadian Officers Training Corps (1940-1946).
The firm Speight, Van Nostrand, Anderson & Currie began life in 1885 when Thomas Bailey Speight (1859-1945) and Col. Arthur J. Van Nostrand entered into partnership, incorporating as Speight & Van Nostrand Ltd. in 1905. The firm was very active in opening up lands in both northern and southern Ontario. Over thirty Township Base Line and Meridian Surveys were performed by the firm by 1911, The firm expanded a number of times over the years. In 1903, it became Speight, Van Nostrand & Ward, with the addition of A.T. Ward. By 1919, with the inclusion of John Van Nostrand and R.M. Anderson, it was known as Speight, Van Nostrand, Ward & Anderson. In 1964, it became Speight, van Nostrand, Anderson & Currie. In 1936, after practising for 50 years, the two senior partners retired. The firm continued to expand its endeavours, becoming involved in various large real estate projects, including both residential and commercial developments projects.
Gilbert Edward Jackson was born on March 2, 1890 at Hedon, East Yorks, England, to Dr. John L. Jackson and Ida Beatrice (nee Bird), daughter of Henry James Bird of Market Rasen in Lincs. He received his education in England, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1911 from St. John’s College, University of Cambridge. In 1911, Mr. Jackson immigrated to Canada and in that same year, joined the University of Toronto as Lecturer in Economics. In 1916 he took leave from his academic duties to serve in the 2nd Battalion, Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment, and British Army. He was later promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in the 6th Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. After his discharge in 1919, Mr. Jackson resumed his position at the University of Toronto where he eventually became a professor of economics, a position he held until 1935. Mr. Jackson became the Editor of the Canadian Forum (1920-1925) and was appointed the first Director of the course in Commerce and Finance at the University (1926-1935). While on the faculty of the Department of Political Economy he also served as Secretary and Member of the Ontario Commission on Unemployment (1915-1916), President of the University College Literary Society (1920-1921), Chairman of Ontario Employment Service Council (1921-1923), Speaker at the Hart House Debates (1924-1926), and was the first Economist for The Bank of Nova Scotia (1926-1935).
In 1921, Mr. Jackson married Marjorie Lillian Kirkpatrick of Toronto and they had two children, John Denison and Joan Mary. Marjorie Jackson died tragically in the spring of 1927 when the children were still young. Mr. Jackson married Maria Elizabeth (Liesel) Ewringmann, the children’s governess in 1932 and during the Second World War they adopted a young girl named Mary whose parents were lost at sea. In 1944, his son died in action while serving in Normandy during the Second World War. His second wife died shortly after. By 1956, Mr. Jackson married Sadie McCool.
In 1935, Mr. Jackson resigned from the University to become Advisor to the Governors of the Bank of England, a position he held until 1939. On his return to Canada in 1939 he became a general business consultant for numerous corporations. During the Second World War he was acting Director of the School of Commerce at McGill University (1940), a member of the Industrial Disputes Enquiry Commission, National War Labour Board (1941-1943), and member of the National Selective Service Advisory Board (1942-1945). His services during the war were honoured by Britain when he was made Officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1946 and appointed to the Order of King Christian X of Denmark for war work.
In 1944, his firm of consultants became Gilbert Jackson & Associates, a ‘think-tank’ focusing on business and economic issues. Among the consultants in his firm were retired Colonel William Wallace Goforth and John L. (Lorne) McDougall. He also founded an investment management company Canadian York Finance Company Limited in 1939. In 1947 the name was changed to Sentinel Associates of Canada Limited which continues in operation to this day.
During this period, Mr. Jackson was a member of numerous clubs, which included: Savage (London); Carlton (England); the Cambridge Union Society (England); York (Toronto); Arts and Letters (Toronto); the University Club (Montreal); and the Rideau Club (Ottawa).
Mr. Jackson was the author of An economist’s confession of faith (Toronto: Macmillan, 1935), If thine enemy hunger! (Canadian Institute of International Affairs, 1941) and Facts in the Case (Ambassador Books Ltd., 1944). In addition he served as editor of the Canadian Forum
1920-1925), published papers on economics, and delivered speeches in Britain, the USA and Canada. He died June 16, 1959.
The University of Toronto's Faculty of Medicine was originally founded in 1843, but dissolved in 1853 in favour of 3 separate medical schools; Trinity Medical College, the Toronto School of Medicine and Woman's Medical College. In 1887, the Faculty of Medicine was re-established.and absorbed the Toronto School of Medicine.
Frederic Urban was born on 12 January 1942 in Springfield, Massachusetts. In the fall of 1959 he entered Merrimack College, a private Roman Catholic institution in North Andover, Massachusetts. In the summer of 1961, he studied Latin at Glastonbury Abbey, a Benedictine abbey in Hingham, Massachusetts, and that autumn entered the Augustinian Good Counsel Novitiate in New Hamburg, New York as a novice monk. In the autumn of 1962 he resumed his studies at Merrimack, graduating with an AB in 1964. In 1970 he received his MA in literature from Boston College. He met his future partner, Larry Richards, in Boston in 1967. In 1975 they moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia where Frederic entered the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, from which he received a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 1978. This was followed by an independent study program at the Whitney Museum of American Art in 1978-1979. At both institutions, Urban mounted a number of exhibitions and took part in performance pieces.
After receiving his AB degree, Frederic Urban spent three years with Dun and Bradstreet in New Haven, Connecticut and General Motors Corporation in Boston. While studying for his MA, he taught high school part-time and afterwards taught at three Massachusetts high schools before coming to Canada in 1975. He has practised as a professional artist since graduating from the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design in 1978, alongside his scholarly work as an architect. He served as a director of Networks Limited of Halifax in 1979-1980, where one of the projects was the Lyon’s Tower (published in Domus (Milan) in 1981).
When Larry Richards was appointed director of the School of Architecture at the University of Waterloo in 1982, Urban became an adjunct assistant professor there, a position he held until they moved to Toronto in 1989. At Waterloo he served as co-ordinator of the first year architectural design programme. In 1987 he spent four months as a visiting professor teaching architectural design at the Nanjing Institute of Technology in Nanjing, China, and returned the following year (the Institute had become Southeast University). In 1989-1990 he served as director of the S. L. Simpson Gallery, one of the leading commercial galleries in Toronto. He then joined the Faculty of Architecture and Landscape Architecture at the University of Toronto as adjunct assistant professor with responsibility for the first year architectural design studio. He also tutored in the fifth year architectural design thesis studio. In 1992 he was promoted to associate adjunct professor and in 1998 to associate professor and, in addition, faculty advisor, student affairs and a member of the faculty, School of Graduate Studies. From 1998 Professor Urban chaired the Faculty’s admission and recruitment committee and from 2004 he was a member of the Faculty’s executive committee. From 1999 until his retirement in 2007 he was a member of the University Tribunal.
Professor Urban has been an occasional visiting artist and lecturer. In 1979 he was visiting artist at Ohio State University, where he documented a number of student performances. In October 1981 he was guest lecturer with the Venice Study Abroad Program run by the Department of Architecture at the University of Toronto. The following year he was a guest lecturer at University College for Larry Richard’s course, “Introduction to architecture”. In 1991 he was a visiting lecturer at the University of Wisconsin at Stout. In 1996-1997 he was adjunct professor, creative and performing arts, at Northwestern State University, Natchitoches, Louisiana.
Other professional appointments include serving as a member of the research grants adjudication committee of the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada from 1988-1990, as a member of the College Art Association, and as a member of the Board of Directors of the Sharon Temple Museum Society from 1996-2001.
His writings have appeared in a number of journals and catalogues.
Frederic Urban and Larry Richards reside in Toronto and maintain a house in Natchitoches, Louisiana.
Solomon Alexander Nigosian (Nigoghossian) was born in 1932, in Alexandria, Egypt, to Abraham and Alice (née Kutchukian). He married Henaz Madzounian in 1952, and together they immigrated to Montreal, Canada in 1955. They moved to Toronto in 1956, where he currently resides. The Nigosians have two children, Leo (Levon) and Diana, both born in Toronto.
In 1949, Solomon Nigosian received a certificate from the Oxford and Cambridge school in Victoria College in Alexandria, Egypt. He received a B.A. from University of Toronto (1968), a M.A. from McMaster University (1970) after completing his thesis entitled “Indo-Aryan Religions in Achaemenid Persia”. He also received his Ph.D. in 1975 from McMaster University, submitting a thesis entitled “The Song of Moses (Deut. 32:1–43)”. In addition, he holds two certificates related to mechanical draughtsmanship and graphic arts, as well as a Sunday School Teacher’s Certificate.
Before immigrating to Canada, Solomon Nigosian worked in various clerk and draughtsman positions in Alexandria. After moving to Canada, he worked for a number of printing companies in Montreal and Toronto. In 1972 he accepted an assistant professorship at the Department of Religious Studies, University of Toronto, where he taught courses in his fields of expertise of world religions, Near Eastern religions, and the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament. He was also a visiting lecturer at a number of Canadian universities, such as York University and Wilfrid Laurier University. He is currently a Research Associate at Victoria College, University of Toronto. In addition, he teaches Continuing Education courses at St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto.
Solomon Nigosian was the founder and the first minister of the Armenian Evangelical Church of Toronto (1960–1968). He was ordained to Christian Ministry by the Armenian Evangelical Union Inc. in 1963, and attended Toronto Bible College (1963–64). He was a founder of the Canada–Armenian Press journal, for which he served as an editor from 1963 to 1968, and has written a number of articles for several Armenian religious publications. He was also actively involved in the Armenian Evangelical union (1964–1971).
Solomon Nigosian is a recipient of a number of awards, among them the Excellence in Teaching Award from the School of Continuing Studies, University of Toronto. He is also a member of a number of professional organizations, such as the International Association for the History of Religion (IAHR) and Canadian Society for the Study of Religion (CSSR). He has written over a hundred articles and books, and given lectures on the history of religions and Armenian culture and history. His most recent publications include Islam: Its History, Teaching, and Practices (2004), World Religions: A Historical Approach (2000), and “Images of Moses: a comparative inquiry” (Theological Review, 2002).
Solomon Nigosian has travelled extensively for research purposes, visiting the Middle East, India, China, Japan, former USSR, and England. He is competent in several languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, Syriac, New Testament Greek, Arabic, Turkish, Armenian, and French.
In 2005 Innis College marked the official 30th anniversary of Cinema Studies as a Bachelor of Arts undergraduate degree program. In those thirty years Cinema Studies has developed into a major area of academic research that has influenced scholarship in many related disciplines, including literature, art history, cultural studies, visual culture, critical studies of race, gender, and sexuality, and visual anthropology. Cinema Studies offers historical, theoretical, analytical, and cultural study of one of the defining media of the twentieth century.
Rev. John Besly was born in 1800 and attended Balliol College in Oxford, earning a B.A. He was ordained into the Church of England in 1823, and appointed Vicar of St. Bartholomew in Long Benton, Northumberland in 1830, where he remained until his death in 1868.
Barton Hope Besly served as a Lieutenant in the British army during the Boer War.
Pharmacy education in Ontario traces back to 1868, when informal academic experiments comprised the principal educational practices. In 1882, the Ontario College of Pharmacy (now Pharmacists) began operating the pharmacy school that ultimately became part of the University of Toronto in 1953. In 2001, the Faculty was renamed the Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy in honour of alumnus Leslie Dan, who donated $13 million to ensure that the Faculty continued to grow and blossom into a worldwide leader in pharmacy education and research. Through this 140-year history, pharmaceutical education in Ontario evolved considerably.
Taken from http://www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca/about-us/our-history.
The Bursar of Victoria University was the chief financial officer of the University and head of its business administration. From the mid 1940's the Bursar also served as Secretary to the Board of Regents and its standing and special committees. Between 1932 and 1985, the responsibilities and duties of the Bursar were considerably increased.
Prior to 1932, the financial and business administration of the University was given little attention. It appears from the minutes of the Board of Regents that between 1907 and 1918 financial matters were in the care of a member of the Board of Regents. The terms "Bursar" and "Treasurer of the Board of Regents" were used interchangeably, and the only record of the Bursar's work is found in references in the minutes to the financial reports presented annually to the Board. In 1918, however, the two positions were separated and both the Bursar and the Treasurer presented reports to the Board. Thereafter, the position of Treasurer was an honourary post held by a member of the Board, who had to present the annual financial reports, while the position of Bursar became a salaried post on the staff of Victoria University.
The next major development was the appointment of an accountant, which the Board agreed to in 1920. From 1921 to 1932, the position of Bursar was held by the University Librarian, F.L. Barber, and so increasingly the work of the Bursar's Office fell to the Accountant, W.J. Little. During this period, Little was appointed secretary of various financial appeals and building funds; and it was Little who appeared at meetings of the Board of Regents to answer the questions of members of the Board when the Treasurer presented the financial reports. Victoria University faced a financial crisis in the early 1920s, and carried a serious deficit into the 1930s which revealed the need for a full-time Bursar. In 1932, the Board recognised this when it moved:
That we accept Dr. Barber's suggestion that he relinquish the office of bursar, and that the Rev. W.J. Little be appointed bursar of Victoria University .
Little described his work in his first annual report to the Board of Regents in 1934. At this point, in addition to his financial and accounting responsibilities, the Bursar was Secretary to the Finance Committee and Property Committee, and business manager of Burwash Hall and the Men's Residences. In his routine duties, Little included the collection of fees; payment of accounts; bookkeeping and record keeping; the preparation of financial statements; printing and supplies; and publicity and advertising. He also prepared payroll reports for the Workmen's Compensation Board of Ontario. As Secretary to the Property committee, his main task was described as the supervision of insurance on all buildings and their contents. Finance committee work involved co-operation with the staff of the National Trust Company which acted as the financial agents of the University.
The two areas of Property and Burwash Hall and Men's Residences (later Residences and Services) formed what came to be known as the auxiliary enterprises of the University. These auxiliary enterprises, which were secondary to Victoria's main educational function, became a useful source of income for the University as well as providing accommodation for staff and students. The Bursar's active management and involvement in these areas consequently increased.
The Bursar's responsibilities with regard to property were initially the insurance of buildings and their contents. However, as the need for regular income became more urgent and evident, and as the University expanded and required more buildings, the Bursar's work likewise increased. The Bursar became responsible for the legal negotiations and accounting over purchases, sales and leases; and the supervision and funding of alterations and renovations and the construction of new buildings. Along with this the Bursar dealt with property tax as the University was only exempt from this in respect to its property used for academic purposes.
As business manager of Burwash Hall and the Men's Residences, the Bursar was responsible for residence accounts and budgets throughout the year. The senior residence staff reported to the Bursar, and all major items and expenditures or policy decisions had to be passed by him. In addition during the summer vacation he was responsible for the general management and administration, as the dietitian was on a ten month renewable contract. The summer vacation management included the allocation of rooms to conference groups and individuals who used the residences. The Bursar also had a supervisory role in regard to the management of the Women's Residences and Wymilwood Students' Union.
Staffing structures with Residences and Food Services were ill-defined. Food Services staff were directly responsible to the Bursar. The appointment of a Director of Residences and Food Services, which caused some friction, did not create a proper departmental structure: both the dietitian of Burwash Hall and the Director reported to the Bursar. Commercial food management was introduced in 1982-83, with the retention of Victoria staff: the resolution of staff problems following this remained the responsibility of the Bursar.
Student discipline and government were the responsibility of the Senior Tutor/Dean of Men in the Men's Residences and of the Dean of Women in the Women's Residences. However, any discipline which resulted in fines or any damages to property were reported to the Bursar. Also, residence fees and applications for student loans or loan extensions, as well as summer residence applications, were handled by the Bursar. There was also some overlap in responsibilities, particularly as W.J. Little (Bursar, 1932-51) was Senior Tutor from 1924 to 1935 and Acting Senior Tutor from 1942 to 1946.
In the mid-1940s three extra areas of responsibility were added to the Bursar's work. In 1944, the Bursar became the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. W.J. Little comments in his 1945 annual report that he was convinced: that the most efficient and economical plan of operation is a centralised control with definite departmental organisation for the carrying out of the work .
The addition of Buildings and Grounds gave the Bursar control over all the non-academic departments of Victoria University. As Superintendent, the Bursar was responsible for the maintenance and repair of university buildings and had charge of the janitorial staff.
Also in the mid-1940s the Bursar became Secretary to the Board of Regents. It is not clear at what point this occurred. It was in 1935 that W.J. Little was first listed as present at a regular meeting of the Board of Regents : previously he had attended only to answer questions in the financial report. In March 1936 Little was again listed, and described as Assessor . Then in September 1936 Little was "re-appointed" as Minute Secretary to the Board : there is no record of his original appointment as Minute Secretary. The Chancellor, E.W. Wallace, was Secretary to the Board, a position of some importance, whereas Little, as Minute Secretary, performed only minor administrative tasks. However, Little's appointment was significant, as before this the Minute Secretary had been appointed at each meeting of the Board from amongst their number. The transition from Minute Secretary to Secretary appears to have taken place around 1944-45, with the passing of the 1944 Victoria University Act. In practical terms, it may have occurred earlier, most likely after Principal Brown of Victoria College was appointed Acting Chancellor during Wallace's leave of absence, at which time there was a need to reduce Principal Brown's administrative workload .
The third additional responsibility in this period was the result of World War II and the Canadian Government's attempts to rehabilitate war veterans. The Department of Veterans Affairs instituted a scheme to provide money for the tuition fees of veterans who chose to take up university or other training courses. The net result was an influx of students and complicated reports and claims to the Department of Veterans Affairs on behalf of students at Victoria. This was the precursor of the general schemes of Government grants to assist students in the payment of fees and living expenses.
The next series of changes in the Bursar's work occurred in the period 1950-52. W.J. Little mentioned in his annual report for 1950 that there were plans for a major re-organisation of the business department. He stated that:
This will involve the termination of the arrangement by which the bookkeeping of Victoria University was done by the National Trust Company; the organisation of a complete accounting division; and the segregation of the work relating to buildings and grounds .
The restructuring did indeed take place, but Little died before he was able to report on its workings. In the ensuing disruption, W.C. James, the Chairman of the Board of Regents, was persuaded to give up his public relations career and assume the post of Bursar. In doing so, W.C. James had written into his job description an extra responsibility for the publicity and public relations of Victoria University.
The immediate result of the public relations role was the production of a published booklet, Victoria Reports on a biannual basis, edited by the Bursar. It was included primarily for the members of the Board of Regents as a means of keeping them informed on current affairs in Victoria. However, it became widely read, particularly by the alumni who began to treat it as though produced for their benefit. The Bursar remained editor for some twenty years, but eventually, in 1972, the Bursar relinquished the publication to the alumni, and it was renamed Vic Reports.
The restructuring of the business administration saw the promotion of F.C. Stokes from Assistant Superintendent to Superintendent, and the separation of the posts of Bursar and Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. The Superintendent continued to use the Bursar's Office for secretarial and administrative support, but his files were held separately from the Bursar's. These files were accessioned in the Archives as 1987.173V. Concurrent with these changes, was the appointment of an Accountant, K.M. Dinsmore in 1950, and the establishment of an Accounting Department; the first since Little became Bursar in 1932 and gave up his post as Accountant. In 1951 the National Trust Company ceased to act as financial agent for Victoria University and the finance and accounting business was transferred to the new Accounting Department.
In 1961 the Management Consultants, Woods, Gordon & Co. were commissioned to draw up a detailed study of Victoria University's organisation and administration. They drew up a position description of the Bursar's post, and amongst the major responsibilities they listed were included the supervision of the Accounting Department, Buildings and Grounds and the "auxiliary enterprises" which referred principally to Residences and Food Services. The Bursar also made all banking arrangements for the University, edited Victoria Reports and dealt with loans to students and to academic staff. The position description identified new supervisory and personnel responsibilities. The Bursar directly supervised five members of staff whose work was only loosely connected with finance: the Living Endowment Clerk, the Graduate Records Clerk, the Book Bureau Manager, the Switchboard Operator and the Clerk Typist to the academic staff. The Bursar was also responsible for staff appointments and dismissals.
The last major development in the period covered by these records which affected the work and responsibilities of the Bursar occurred in 1974 with the Memorandum of Agreement between the University of Toronto and the federated institutions. This provided for new financial arrangements whereby the University of Toronto received the annual government grant which it then distributed among the federated institutions instead of their receiving the grant direct. At the same time the basis for grants to Victoria University was altered. Previously, as a church-related university, Victoria had received only a half-grant per student, but from 1974, under new Provincial rules, Victoria received a full grant for students in Victoria College while continuing to receive a half-grant for students in Emmanuel College. These two changes in funding structure made the fees work of the Bursar more complex. In particular the Bursar became heavily involved in negotiations with the other federated institutions and with the administration of the University of Toronto. As a result, more of the financial and accounting work was delegated to the Accountant, leaving the Bursar free to concentrate on policy issues and negotiations. A further consequence of the Memorandum of Agreement was the closer integration of the staff of Victoria with the staff of the University of Toronto, and this led to greater involvement in unions which in turn involved the Bursar more in personnel matters and labour relations.
Currently the Bursar is responsible for the management and overseeing of properties and buildings, maintenance and repair as well as auxiliary services such as food and catering, conference services and housekeeping.
Board of Regents Minutes, Sept. 30, 1920.
Ibid., Nov. 25, 1932.
Report of the Bursar and Superintendent, year ended June 30, 1945.
Board of Regents Minutes, June 13, 1935.
Ibid., March 12, 1936.
Ibid., Sept. 18, 1936.
Ibid., Nov. 2, 1939.
Report of the Bursar to the Board of Regents, year ended June 30, 1950.