Professor of Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto.
Professor of Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto.
Professor of Therapeutics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto.
Principal of Scarborough College, University of Toronto
Professor, Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto.
Former Professor of English and Acting Provost, Trinity College
Former Vice-Principal and Registrar, Erindale College, Special Assistant to the Provost, University of Toronto
Professor of History, University of Toronto.
Professor of Classics, University of Toronto
Director of Athletics and Physical Education for women, University of Toronto.
Professor of medicine.
Professor Emeritus of Nursing, University of Toronto.
Falconer Hall housed the offices of the women’s Physical Education faculty and one or two seminar rooms for physical education. In addition to “common rooms” for university students, accommodation was also available for 6-8 graduate women students.
Miss Zerada Slack, Director of Women’s Physical Education and Athletics, was also named Director of Falconer Hall and this for the next nine years, Miss Slack assumed the very strenuous four-fold burden as the Director of Physical Education, Director of Athletics, Director of Falconer Hall and from 1956 to 1959, total responsibility for planning the new Benson Building.
Even though the President announced that the Falconer Hall Committee was to be separate from the “Women’s Building Advisory Committee”, the majority of the members served on both committees. Miss Marie Parkes had served since the early 1920’s.
The Benson Building Advisory Committee was established to assist Miss Zerada Slack during the first few years of the operation of the building
Name changed in February 1979 to University of Toronto. Computing Services
Established March 15, 1984 assuming the responsibilities of the Department of Information Services
There are actually two beginnings for occupational therapy at the University of Toronto: one in 1918 and one in 1926. [The] first program was designed for ward aides to work with the injured soldiers of World War I. Ward aides were employed by the Military Hospitals Commission of Canada to provide the soldiers with occupations, generally in the form of crafts, to “rehabilitate” their spirit during long periods of convalescence. From bedside and ward occupations, the soldiers progressed to off-ward occupations and to curative workshops. At later stages, soldiers who were unable to return to their former jobs were given occupations related to their vocational retraining. Similar occupation-based work had been carried out for decades in mental institutions and also in tuberculosis sanatoriums so there was already some basis on which to build this program. As each year of the war went by and the numbers of injured soldiers continued to increase, the Military Hospitals Commission realised it needed more women to work as ward aides. The University of Toronto (U of T) volunteered to help meet this need and started short courses to train ward aides in 1918. The courses were run by the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering and held in the basement of the Mining Building. From 6-week courses, they developed into 6-month courses and when the last course finished in the fall of 1919, some 300 women had been trained as ward aides and were working across the country.
The ward aides continue to work with veterans after the war ended. They also continued to work in mental institutions and tuberculosis sanatoriums and by 1920 they had begun working in general hospitals as well. They soon realised that there would be a continuing need for the service they were providing. The ward aides who were based in Ontario organized themselves into the Ontario Society for Occupational Therapy (OSOT) and received their provincial charter in 1921. In addition to promoting occupational therapy as treatment, OSOT began planning for a proper training course to be housed at the University of Toronto. With influential people on their Advisory Board (including Dr Primrose, then Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, and Sir Robert Falconer, the President of the University), they were able to establish a new program in 1926. This “second beginning” for OT at U of T was a two-year diploma course. It was run by the Department of Extension, a structural entity that oversaw programs with somewhat uncertain futures. The course was advertised in the Commencement Bulletin the preceding June as a "new course for young ladies who are anxious to be of service in the healing of the sick and maimed and convalescent." In 1946, the course was extended to 3 years, and in 1950, occupational therapy and physical therapy were combined into one program and brought into the Faculty of Medicine as part of the Division of Rehabilitation Medicine. The program was known as “P&OT” and its graduates were affectionately known as “POTS”. Although combining the programs was not considered desirable by many – there was at last a permanent home for the program in the Faculty of Medicine. Some 20 years later, the programs separated again to become individual degree programs, with the first students graduating with a BSc (OT) degree in 1974. In 2000, occupational therapy became a graduate program offering an MScOT degree.
In recommending the program to the University in 1926, the letter to the University Senate noted that there was a desire "to make the University of Toronto Extension Course the headquarters for the Dominion of Canada, so that pupils will not be of Provincial origin alone, but will come from all parts of the Dominion." Indeed this intention was realised as the U of T program remained the only university program in Canada until 1950, and the only one in Ontario until 1967. In fact the program at U of T was one of just five schools of occupational therapy in all of North America to be recognized in 1935 by the American Medical Association, the academic accrediting body of the time. The schools were in Boston, St Louis, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, and Toronto. Class size at U of T varied tremendously over the years and ranged from as few as 13 during the early years of the depression, to 120 in the post-war class of 1947.
Because it was the only educational program in Canada until 1950, OT at U of T provided most of the occupational therapists for the country. As a result, our grads held most of the senior clinical positions and greatly influenced the development of the profession. When new educational programs began to develop at other Canadian universities, the directors were usually selected from among U of T grads and they too greatly influenced the development of the profession. Grads from OT at U of T continue those traditions today, making their influence felt across the nation, and around the world.
Judith Friedland. PhD, OT Reg (Ont), FCAOT
July 17, 2006
(taken from http://www.ot.utoronto.ca/about/history.asp)
Head of the Dept. of French in University College.
Margaret Jean Wilson was born on December 9, 1908 in Regina Saskatchewan to parents Margaret and William. The eldest of three, Ms. Wilson was always pushed to achieve high academic standards from a young age. At the end of high school, Ms. Wilson expressed an interest in joining the nursing profession to her family. Her father forbade this path as he saw the nursing profession simply as “maids.” Instead she was enrolled in a general arts program at the University of Saskatchewan in 1927. After her graduation, Ms. Wilson was still interested in pursuing a nursing degree. Her persistent interest and success at the University of Saskatchewan convinced her father to let her go. In 1931 she enrolled in the Toronto General Hospital School for nursing. She became frustrated with menial tasks assigned to her as part of the apprenticeship style training she received. Despite these frustrations, Ms. Wilson finished the program in 1934. She first served as a private duty nurse at the Toronto General Hospital. She was then promoted to assistant head nurse in the medical ward and then head nurse in a surgical ward. In these roles she was known for her quick wit and sharp temper, a refreshing change from the obedient caretakers Ms. Wilson’s father believed nurses to be. She once told a doctor, “Where I come from I was taught that you only whistle for dogs” after he had yelled for her immediate attention while she was busy .
In 1937 Edith Kathleen Russell, the director of the school of nursing at the University of Toronto, requested that she consider becoming a staff member. This telegram began her forty year teaching career at the University of Toronto where she trained nurses during the war, assisted in the development of the faculty and developed her unique approach to integrated nursing education, or “bathtub teaching.” This style of education had the goal of eliminating any false barriers between the classroom and the bedside. Ms. Wilson would often hold classes within the hospital where the only place for students to sit was on the edge of the bathtub. It was in this role as educator that Ms. Wilson was able to address the frustrations she had experienced during her nursing training. In 1961 Ms. Wilson became an associate professor and in 1967 she was granted full tenure with the Faculty of nursing.
Ms Wilson retired from her teaching position at the University of Toronto in 1974. After her retirement Ms. Wilson gave generously to the Faculty of Nursing at the University of Toronto. In 1987 the M. Jean Wilson Scholarship founded to recognize students with high academic standings. She also remained active in the university community and served as a consultant for the World Health Organization. In this role she traveled to India to assist in the organization of a Nursing Education Project.
 G Mansell, Diana. “Profile of a Leader: M.J. Wilson: Innovative Nurse Educator “Bath Tub Teacher” CJNL, Vol 15 (2), p, 22
The Campus Chaplains' Association, an interfaith organization of the chaplains at the University of Toronto, was established about 1976 as the Campus Ministries Foundation. In February, 1983 the name was changed to the Christian Chaplains at the University of Toronto, and the following year to the Campus Chaplains' Association.
Born in Bombay India, Suniti Namjoshi now lives in the United Kingdom. She has published numerous poems, fables, articles and reviews in literary and Women's Studies journals in India, Canada, the U.S. and Britain.
Karen Ann Mulhallen is a write, publisher, Professor of English at Ryerson Polytechnic University and the editor-in-chief of Descant. Born May 1, 1942 in Woodstock, Ontario to H.J. Thomas and Edna Anne (neé Naylor), Mulhallen was educated at Waterloo Lutheran University (B.A. 1963) and the University of Toronto (M.A. 1967, Ph.D. 1975).
Mulhallen was Lecturer at Ryerson from 1966, and became a Professor in 1971. Her area of scholarly expertise is 18th century English art. She is the author of several books of poetry, a work of travel fiction, and articles on the literary and visual arts in Canadian journals and magazines, including Blewointment, Quarry, and The White Wall Review. She was the Poetry Review Editor and the Arts Feature Editor for Canadian Forum (1974-1979), and has edited several collections of poetry, travel writing, and criticism for Somerville House Publishers. As editor-in-chief, Mulhallen has made Descant one of Canada's
Mulhallen was a finalist in the CBC Literary Awards (1989) and the CBC-Saturday Night Literary Awards (1994), and won the Maclean Hunter Arts Journalism Fellowship (1994), and the Hawthornden Castle Fellowship (1996). She was the Sarwan Sahota Distinguished Professor at Ryerson (1998), and has received various other grants and fellowships. She has also been a grants and awards adjudicator, and has made numerous public readings and broadcasts for television and radio.
John Millyard was educated at the University of Toronto (he received his bachelor of Arts in 1954). His career ranges from top general management in manufacturing, to more than two decades as a professional writer, editor and publisher in consumer and industrial fields. He was an editor with the Canadian Press and Maclean Hunter, and wrote and photographed for major magazines. Since 1985 he has been president of Money Jar Publishing, a contract book publisher serving the communications needs of clients from a variety of industries. He has ghost-written two best-selling personal financial planning books: The Money Jar and The Money Gap.
Jan Garden Castro lives in the United States and has held the position of Senior Lecturer in Humanities at Lindenwood College, Missouri. She was one of the founders of the literary journal River Styx and a contributing editor for Sculpture magazine. She has conducted interviews with various literary and artistic figures, including Margaret Atwood, Eavan Boland, William Cass, Christopher Merrill, and Quincy Troupe. She has written numerous reviews and is author of The Art and Life of Georgia O'Keeffe. She and Kathryn Van Spanckeren are editors of Margaret Atwood: Vision and Forms, a collection of critical essays on Atwood's work.
Blue Rodeo’s roots can be traced to the late 1970s, when singer/songwriters Jim Cuddy and Greg Keeler (along with bassist Malcolm Schell and drummer Jimmy Sublett) formed a power pop band in Toronto called the Hi-Fi’s. The group issued one single on the Showtime label, but broke up in 1981. Cuddy and Keeler spent the next three years in New York City in a group called Fly to France; this band recorded four demos, including the future Blue Rodeo hits “Try” and “Outskirts”. Upon returning to Toronto in 1984, Cuddy and Keeler recruited keyboard player Bobby Wiseman, bassist Basil Donovan and drummer Cleave Anderson for a new group they called Blue Rodeo. The band debuted under this name in 1985, and played regular shows in Toronto before expanding their concert base across the country.
The band was signed to Risque Disque in 1986, and their debut album Outskirts included the song “Try”, which became a major Canadian pop and country hit. Between 1986 and 2002, Blue Rodeo issued one live album (1994’s Five Days in July), as well as nine studio albums. In 1990, Blue Rodeo appeared in the film Postcards from the Edge.
There have been several changes in the band’s lineup over the years. In 1989, Mark French replaced drummer Anderson, and three years later Glenn Milchem became the drummer. In 1992, Wiseman left and was replaced by Kim Deschamps; he, in turn, was replaced by James Gray, who was then replaced by Bob Packwood, and then Mike Boguski. In 2013 Colin Cripps joined the band as a full member. In addition to their work in Blue Rodeo, both Cuddy and Keeler have released solo albums. On August 5, 2013, James Gray suffered a fatal heart attack.
Blue Rodeo has won numerous industry awards, including JUNOs and SOCANs. In 2012 they were inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. In 2014, they were honored with Canada's highest honour in the performing arts – the Governor General's Performing Arts Award (GGPAA) for Lifetime Artistic Achievement.
Atom Egoyan, born on July 19, 1960 in Cairo, Egypt to Armenian parents, is an internationally renowned film director whose films have appeared at several festivals including Cannes and the Toronto International Film Festival along with being nominated for and winning several awards. In 1997 his film The Sweet Hereafter was nominated for two Academy Awards, Best Director and Best Adapted Screening, and it won three awards at that years Cannes Film Festival: the FIPRESCI Prize, the Grand Prize of the Jury, and the Prize of the Ecumenical Jury.
In 1963 Egoyan’s family moved from Egypt to Victoria, British Columbia. In 1978 he enrolled at Trinity College at The University of Toronto where his studies concentrated on international relations. It was at this point in Egoyan’s life when he became interested in his own culture as an Armenian, an interest which would permeate throughout his personal life as well as influencing the subject matter of films like Ararat (2002), a film which concentrated on the Armenian genocide in 1915. Along with becoming a member of the University of Toronto’s Armenian Society he became an active contributor to the school’s newspaper, The Newspaper. It was also at this time in his life when, with funds from the Hart House Program, Egoyan would create his first short film Howard in Particular (1979). Since the creation of his first short film while attending the University of Toronto, and by the end of 2014, Egoyan had directed 14 feature films, 5 of which (Exotica (1994), The Sweet Hereafter, Felicia's Journey (1999), Where the Truth Lies (2005), Adoration (2008), and The Captive (2014)) have been nominated for the Palme d’Or at Cannes. Egoyan continues to make films to this day with his 15th feature film, Remember, set to debut in 2015.
In recognition for his artistic achievements as a Canadian citizen Egoyan, in 1999, was made an Officer of the Order of Canada, the country’s highest civilian honour.
Reverend J. Nahabadian was a member of the Campus Chaplains' Association
John O'Connor was a Roman Catholic parish priest based in the town of Bradford, Yorkshire. Born on 5 December 1870 in Clonmel, County Tipperary, Ireland, O'Connor was educated by the Franciscans and Christian Brothers until the age of twelve, at which point he left for Douai in Flanders to study at the English Benedictine College. He later studied theology and philosophy at the English College in Rome. He was ordained at St. John Lateran on 30 March 1895. O'Connor served as curate at St. Joseph's in Bradford, England and later at St. Marie's, Halifax, West Vale and St. Anne's, Keighley. From 1909 to 1919 O'Conner was parish priest of Heckmondwike where he helped build the Church of the Holy Spirit. It was in Keighley that O'Connor met the writer G.K. Chesterton in 1904. He would later receive Chesterton into the Roman Catholic faith in 1922. O'Connor served as parish priest at St. Cuthbert's from 1919 until his death. In 1937 he was made Privy Chamberlain to His Holiness. In addition to Chesterton, O'Connor was also associated with the Catholic authors Hilaire Belloc, Maurice Baring and the typographer and engraver Eric Gill. O'Connor published poems, book reviews and prose in English Catholic periodicals and news papers, and also translated the work of French poet Paul Claudel, (including "The Satin Slipper" and "Ways and Crossways") and the philosopher Jacques Maritain's "Art et Scolastique".John O'Connor died in the Sisters' of Mercy Nursing Home at Horsforth on 6 Febraury 1952.
Sheila Martin Watson (nee Doherty) was an author, teacher and professor of English, living between 1909 and 1998. Born in New Westminster, British Columbia on October 25 1909, Sheila was the second child of Dr. Charles Edward Doherty and Mary Ida Elwena Martin. Sheila attended St. Ann's Academy in Victoria, B.C. for her elementary and secondary schooling and attended the University of British Columbia, earning a B.A. Honours in English in 1931 and her Academic Teaching Certificate in 1932. In 1933 she received her M.A. in English, her thesis concerning Addison and Steele, editors of the eighteenth-century periodical "The Spectator." Watson would go on to teach in Dog Creek (1934-1935) in Cariboo Country and Langley Prairie High School (1936-1940) in the Fraser Valley and in Duncan on Vancouver Island from 1940-1941, where she met and married the poet and dramatist Wilfred Watson.Marrying December 29, 1941, Sheila remained in Mission City, in the Fraser Valley, where she taught from September 1941 to the spring of 1945. Wilfred remained in Vancouver, completing his undergraduate degree in 1943. Following World War II, the couple settled in Toronto, where Wilfred pursued his M.A. in English at the University of Toronto, while Sheila taught at Moulton Ladies College (1946-1949). The Watsons remained in Toronto from 1945-1948/49. From 1949-1951, Sheila taught at the University of British Columbia, and for the academic year of 1951/52 she taught at a public high school in Powell River, BC. Watson lived with her husband in Calgary from 1952-54, after which they briefly separated but then spent a year in Paris on a Royal Society of Canada fellowship between 1955-1956.Sheila returned to Toronto from September 1956 to August 1961 to pursue her Doctorate of Philosophy at the University of Toronto, supervised by Marshall McLuhan. Her thesis was titled "Wyndham Lewis and Expressionism." Sheila went on to teach at the University of Alberta as a Professor of English, teaching from 1961 to her retirement in August, 1975. From the early 1970s, Watson was a member of several juries of The Canada Council for arts grants and the Governor General's Awards for poetry and fiction. She and her husband moved to Nanaimo, B.C. in 1980, where she continued to advise former students and aspiring writers, and occasionally giving public readings of her work. She died Sunday, February 1, 1998. Watson is best known for her novel "The Double Hook", published in 1959, her series of short stories based around the character of Oedipus and her novel "Deep Hollow Creek", which was written in the 1930s but was not published until 1992, when it was nominated for a Governor General's Award for best new fiction. Watson was also co-founder of the literary journal "White Pelican."