Showing 108 results

People and organizations
University of Toronto Music Library

Hartmann, Arthur

Arthur Hartmann, American violinist, composer and writer was born October 7, 1881 and died March 30, 1956. From 1931-1933 he maintained a studio in Toronto.

New Music Concerts

New Music Concerts (NMC) is a performing arts organization, established in Toronto in 1971 by Norma Beecroft (president) and Robert Aitken (artistic director) with John A. Wright, John Brown, John Beckwith, and C. Laughton Bird. Joe Macerollo succeeded Beecroft as president in 1989. Its mandate was and is to present and perform contemporary music.

They began an annual series of concerts at the University of Toronto in 1972, which moved to the Premiere Dance Theatre at Harbourfront in the mid-1980s. Their programs feature an international array of composers and performers with composers often conducting or performing in their own works. NMC has also commissioned numerous new compositions by Canadian composers. In addition to concerts, NMC have sponsored events featuring lectures, films, mixed-media presentations, forums, and musical theatre. They released their first CD New Music 90, recorded in 1990, with compositions by Aitken, Beecroft, Gilles Tremblay, and Iannis Xenakis.

NMC is based in Toronto, but is active nationally and internationally, co-sponsoring events with the Banff School of Fine Arts, McGill University, SMCQ, Vancouver New Music Society, L'Ensemble Contemporain de Montréal, Duo Traces, and the Quatuor Molinari. The NMC Ensemble toured Europe and Nova Scotia, Quebec, and Ontario in 1976. In June 1982, they performed in New York and Washington, D.C.

Law, Eileen

  • Local
  • Person
  • 1900-1978

Eileen Law, contralto and teacher, was born in Belfast, Ireland on October 16, 1900, and died in Toronto on November 30, 1978. From 1922 until 1926, she studied with Jenny Taggart (voice) and Ernest MacMillan (piano) at the Canadian Academy of Music, earning her LCAM and ACAM. From 1926 to 1936, she studied privately with Hope Morgan. Primarily an oratorio singer, she performed as a soloist at the Timothy Eaton Memorial Church (1923-1936) and at the First Church of Christ Scientist (1936-1945), and appeared with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, the Promenade Symphony Concerts, the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir, the Apollo Musical Club Choir of Chicago, the Ottawa Choral Union, and symphony orchestras in Cleveland, Detroit, and Minneapolis. She appeared in performances of Bach's St. Matthew's Passion in Toronto for over 25 years.

Law taught for the Royal Conservatory of Music of Toronto from 1938 until 1977, and at the Faculty of Music, University of Toronto from 1952 to 1961.

Ciamaga, Gustav

Gustav Ciamaga was born on April 10, 1930 and is predominantly known for his work in electronic music. He studied at the University of Western Ontario (1951-1954) while also studying privately with Gordon Delamont, before attending the University of Toronto where he studied with John Weinzweig and John Beckwith. He received is Master of Fine Arts (MFA) from Brandeis University, where he studied with Arthur Berger, Harold Shapero, and Irving Fine. He organized an electronic studio at Brandeis University in 1963, before joining the faculty at the University of Toronto (1963), where he became the director of the Electronic Music Studio in 1965. He was also the chairman of the theory and composition department (1968) and then dean of the Faculty of Music (1977-1984) and acting principal of the Royal Conservatory of Music Toronto (RCMT, 1983-1984). He passed away on June 11, 2011.

University of Toronto Music Library

  • Local
  • Corporate body
  • 1921-

In 1918 Toronto College of Music, founded in 1888, amalgamated with the Canadian Academy of Music, and in 1924 the academy was absorbed by the Toronto Conservatory of Music. The Toronto Conservatory of Music then gained the assets of both its rivals, including over one hundred vocal and orchestral scores. The University had taken over the ownership and operation of the conservatory by 1921, and therefore this collection became the foundation of the University of Toronto's music library.

Hugh Hornby Langton's, (University of Toronto's Chief Librarian, 1892-1922), donated a over a dozen scores from his own collection including orchestral works by Beethoven, Schubert, and Mendelssohn in piano duet arrangements from his courting days, which constitutes the University of Toronto's first efforts in collection building for the Music Library. More significantly, he had just returned from a European buying trip for the library, and its results included the addition of a dozen books on music, plus recent scores such as Stravinsky's Chant du rossignol and Sacre du printemps, and of several early tone poems by Richard Strauss.

Currently the library holds over 300,000 books, scores, periodicals and microforms.The Sniderman Recordings Collection, 180,000 sound recordings, from cylinders to blu-ray. The Olnick Rare Book Room, 2,500 volumes exemplifying the history of music and of music editing, performance and printing -- from liturgical manuscripts and early printed treatises, to first editions of Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and Gershwin, and early Canadian sheet music and tune books. A significant number of 18th- and 19th-century opera full scores, with particular strength in the French repertoire, complement the large libretto holdings of the Central Library.

Benson-Guy, Elizabeth

Elizabeth Benson Guy was a soprano, born in Halifax, Nova Scotia on December 7, 1925; died on July 8, 2010 in Scarborough, Ontario. Her first music teacher was her mother, Sarah Louise Anderson. She then studied with Ernesto Vinci (Halifax and the Toronto Conservatory of Music) and Lotte Leonard (Julliard School). She made her operatic debut in 1947 at the Royal Conservatory Opera School (now the University of Toronto Opera Division) as Marie in The Bartered Bride. She then sang with the CBC Opera Company, and appeared in many CBC radio opera productions and song recitals. She also performed with the Opera Festival Association of Toronto, the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir, and the Festival Singers. She debuted at Carnegie Hall in New York on May 10, 1959 and at Wigmore Hall in London on October 31, 1967. She retired from public performance in 1974.

Benson Guy taught at the Royal Conservatory of Music from 1969 to 1979 and at the University of Toronto Faculty of Music. She retired in 1979.

Kraus, Greta

Greta Kraus was a harpsichordist, pianist accompanist, and teacher. Born in Vienna on August 3, 1907, she studied at the Vienna Academy of Music, from where she received her Music Teacher's Diploma (1930). She studied with Hans Weisse (1924-1931), and Heinrich Schenker (1931-1934). She performed as a soloist and an ensemble musician, including an appearance with the Boyd Neel Orchestra in London.

In 1938, Kraus immigrated to Hawkesbury, Ontario, before moving to Toronto in 1939 to teach at Havergal College. From 1943 to 1969, she taught at the Royal College of Music in Toronto, and then at the University of Toronto (1963-1976, part time after 1976). She coached lieder and taught harpsichord, accompanying, and Baroque performance practice. She was also the director of Collegium Musicum (Toronto).

Kraus was a prominent harpsichord player, known for her performances of Bach and twentieth-century composers. She performed with many musicians, including Arnold Walter, Robert Aitken (in the Aitken Kraus Duo, 1965-1986), Lois Marshall, and Sir Ernest MacMillan (in performances of the Messiah, St. Matthew Passion, St. John Passion, and Mass in B Minor, 1942-1956). In 1958, she founded the Toronto Baroque Ensemble (1958-1963) with Elizabeth Benson Guy, soprano, Nicholas Fiore, flute, Donald Whitton, cello, and Corol McCartney, violin.

Kraus received many awards for her contributions to music performance and education, including a citation from the Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations (1973); Outstanding Woman of the Province of Ontario (1975); Toronto Arts Award (1990); the Order of Ontario (1991); and, the Order of Canada (1992).

She was married to chemist Erwin Dentay.

Kash, Eugene

Eugene "Jack" Kash was a violinist, conductor, and teacher in Toronto. He studied violin with Luigi von Kunits (1928-1931), Arthur Meieff (1928-1931), Otakar Ševčík (1931-1935), Bronislaw Huberman, Kathleen Parlow (1940-1941), and Dmitri Dounis, and conducting with William Steinberg and Igor Markevitch.

Kash performed with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra (1934-1942), in CBC orchestras, and was acting concertmaster for the Toronto Philharmonic Orchestra's Promenade Symphony Concerts. Kash was the music director for the National Film Board (1948-1950); concertmaster (1944-1950) and conductor (1950-1957) of the Ottawa Philharmonic Orchestra; academic administrator of the National Youth Orchestra (1963); and conductor of Montreal Symphony Orchestra youth concerts (1964-1965). In the 1940s and 1950s, he performed regularly with Greta Kraus and Pearl Palmason, and form 1961 to 1975, he participated in the Casals Festival in Puerto Rico with his wife, Canadian contralto Maureen Forrester. He was also a member of Soundstage Canada '81.

As a teacher, he worked at the Philadelphia Musical Academy (1967-1971), York University (1971-1973), and the Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM) (1975-2004).

He received the Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal and the City of Toronto Award of Merit in 2004.

Stratton, John

John (Reginald) Stratton was born on August 1, 1931 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and died January 2, 2001 in Toronto. He was a baritone singer, record historian and producer, and philosophy professor at the Ryerson Polytechnical Institute in Toronto (1971-1991).

Stratton attended Upper Canada College, a private boys' school in Toronto, before attending Trinity College, where he obtained his Bachelor of Arts (BA) in 1954, followed by his Master of Arts (MA) in 1958, and PhD in Philosophy in 1969. He studied voice with Gina Cigna and Aksel Schiøtz at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto, and Florence Easton and Herbert Janssen in New York.

He wrote articles for the Record Collector, the Journal of the British Institute of Recorded Sound, Opera Quarterly, the Association of Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC) journal, and gave several lectures on early recording practices and vocal styles. In 1986, he received a Grammy nomination for his work on the liner notes that accompanied the Mapleson Cylinder Project collection, published by the Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives, Lincoln Centre.

Stratton collected records from the 1940s until his death, with a focus on solo vocal and opera recordings. In 1966, he founded his own record label Cantilena, distributed by Rococo Records.

Clarke, Stephen

  • Local
  • Person
  • 1946-

Stephen Clarke was born in 1946 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He attended Trinity College, where he met and became friends with John Stratton (1931-2000). Clarke studied law, in addition to taking voice lessons with Howell Glynn at the Royal Conservatory of Music; Elizabeth Benson Guy and her mother-in-law Greta Kraus at the University of Toronto Faculty of Music; and Gladys Whitehead at the Hamilton Conservatory. In 1978, he stopped appearing in professional music performances to focus on his career as a lawyer. However, music continued to be an important part of his life. Clarke and Stratton remained friends throughout their lives, and Stratton made Clarke his estate trustee.

After Stratton's death in 2000, Clarke continued to contribute to Stratton's record collection, and obtained thousands of digital audio files from Ward Marston and from the Sir Paul Getty collection.

Clarke is currently the chair-person for Historic Masters Ltd. He regularly lectures on the Stratton-Clarke collection and historic vocal recordings for artists of the Canadian Opera Company Ensemble Studio and students at the University of Toronto Faculty of Music.

University of Toronto. Electronic Music Studio

The University of Toronto Electronic Music Studio (UTEMS) was co-founded in May 1959 by Professor Myron Schaeffer and Dr. Arnold Walters, director of the Faculty of Music. Professor Harvey Olnick was also one of the original faculty members. It was the second electronic music studio in North America (preceded by the Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center in 1958) and the first such studio in Canada. It was originally located at 2 Division Street before moving into the basement of the Edward Johnson Building, once the building was completed (1964). Users of the studio included music faculty, students, independent scholars, and visiting composers and composition students. In addition to electronic music composition, UTEMS commissioned and invented new instruments and equipment.

Following Schaeffer's death in 1965, Professor Gustav Ciamaga became the director of the studio. He remained in this position until his retirement in 1994, at which point the position passed to Professor Dennis Patrick. Since 2019, UTEMS has been under the direction of Professor Eliot Britton.

Guerrero, Alberto

Alberto Guerrero was a pianist, teacher, and composer. He was born in La Serena, Chile on February 6, 1886, and came to Canada in 1918. He died in Toronto on November 7, 1959.

In the early 1900s, his family moved to Santiago, Chile where he established himself as a composer and solo pianist. Between 1908 and 1915, he wrote music for four or five operettas and zarzuelas; contributed to the newspaper E diario ilustrado; and published a treatise La armonia moderna (1915). This treatise and his operetta scores are now lost, but some of his early chamber works and piano solos survived and are held in the University of Toronto Music Library Archives.

In 1915, he went on tour with cellist Michel Penha, travelling through Bolivia, Peru, Panama, Costa Rica, and Cuba, before arriving in New York in January 1916. He remained there until the fall of 1917, when he returned to Chile, before moving to Toronto in 1918, where he replaced Mark Hambourg in the Hambourg Trio and taught at the Hambourg Conservatory. In 1922, he moved to the Toronto Conservatory of Music, where he taught until his death in 1959. He also taught at the Faculty of Music, University of Toronto starting in the late 1940s. His students included William Aide, John Beckwith, Helmut Blume, Gwendolyn Duchemin, Ray Dudley, Dorothy Sandler Glick, Glenn Gould, his second wife Myrtle Rose Guerrero, Stuart Hamilton, Paul Helmer, Horace Lapp, Edward Laufer, Gordana Lazarevich, Pierrette LePage, Edward Magee, Ursula Malkin, Bruce Mather, John McIntyre, Gordon McLean, Oskar Morawetz, Arthur Ozolins, George Ross, R. Murray Schafer, Oleg Telizyn, Malcolm Troup, Neil Van Allen, and Ruth Watson Henderson.

Studio Eksperymentalne Polskiego Radia

The Studio Eksperymentalne Polskiego Radia (Polish Radio Experimental Studio, or PRES) or the Studio Muzyki Eksperymentalnej (Studio for Experimental Music) was establihed in the 1957 in Warsaw, Poland. It was founded and directed (until 1985) by Józef Patkowski. It continued operations until 2004.

Norsk rikskringkasting

The Norwegian national broadcasting station, Norsk Rikskringkasting (NRK) was established in 1925. Composers, including Arne Nordheim, Alfred Janson, and Bjorn Fongaard, used the NRK studio to experiment with and compose electronic music, beginning in 1961.

Studio di fonologia RAI Milano

Radio Audizioni Italiane (RAI) established the Studio di Fonologia Musicale in 1955 under the direction of Luciano Berio and Bruno Maderna. Luigi Nono and John Cage also composed at the studio, among many others.

Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Centre

The Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center (CPEMC) was the first electronic music studio in the United States. The studio was founded by Otto Luening and Vladimir Ussachevsky at Columbia University. They received a Rockefeller Foundation grant (awarded in 1958) to create the studio, which became operational in 1959. Among the many composers who worked on compositions in this studio are Edgard Varese, Milton Babbitt, Jon Appleton, Bulent Arel, Luciano Berio, Walter [Wendy] Carlos, Mario Davidovsky, Alfred del Monaco, Charles Dodge, Jacob Druckman, Halim El-Dabh, Paul Lansky, Alcides Lanza, Ilhan Mimaroglu, Pauline Oliveros, Ramon Sender, Alice Shields, Pril Smiley, Harvey Sollberger, Diane Thome, Michiko Toyama, and Barry Vercoe. The studio was renamed in Columbia University Electronic Music Center in the late 1980s, and the Columbia University Computer Music Center in 1996. Ussachevsky served as the studio's director from 1958 until 1980, followed by Mario Davidovsky (1980-1994); Fred Lerdahl and Brad Garton (1994-1996); and Brad Garton (1996-present).

National Research Council of Canada. Electronic Music Laboratory

  • Local
  • Corporate body
  • 1954-1974

Hugh Le Caine established the ELMUS Laboratory of the National Research Council in Otawa in 1954, where he designed electronic music instruments and served in an advisory capacity to many Canadian electronic music studios. When he retired in 1974, Le Caine had designed 15 new instruments and composed a series of studies, including Dripsody (1955).

Cooperative Studio for Electronic Music

Gordon Mumma and Robert Ashley co-founded and directed the Cooperative Studio for Electronic Music in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The studio, which consisted of equipment in each of their homes and the Space Theatre, a loft converted into a multimedia performance space. The studio was largely created for the performance of electronic music by Milton Cohen and for electronic music soundtracks for films by George Manupelli. The studio closed in 1967 when Mumma and Ashley moved away from Ann Arbor. During its operation, Mumma and Ashley completed more than 75 tape compositions.

Nihon Hōsō Kyōkai. Electronic Music Studio

The Nihon Hōsō Kyōkai (Japanese Radio, NHK) electronic music studio was completed in 1954 and opened in 1955. It was modelled after that of the Nordwestdeutscher Rundfunk (NWDR) in Cologne, Germany. Composers who worked at this studio include Makoto Moroi, Toru Takemitsu, Jean-Claude Eloy, Ishii Maki, Joji Yuasa, Mario Lavista, and Ezra Sims.

Colgate Computer Music Studio

Dexter Morrill established the Computer Music Studio at Colgate University in 1971, following a visit to John Chowning at Stanford University and the Computer Music Group at the Powers Computer Laboratory in Mountain View, California. The Studio hosted various American and international composers in the 1970s, often through grants from the United States' National Endowmenet for the Arts (NEA).

Hartt College of Music

This music school was established in 1920, became a college department in 1927, and was renamed the Hartt College of Music in 1951. It merged with Hillyer College and the Hartford Art School in 1957 to found the University of Hartford, which was renamed the Hartt School of Music in 1980. The American composer Edward J. Miller earned his master's degree from the Hartt School of Music and served on the faculty there for 12 years (1959-1971).

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) is Canada's national broadcasting system, created in 1936. They donated some of the technology used in the University of Toronto Electronic Music Studio (UTEMS) soon after its creation (1959).

Rijksuniversiteit te Utrecht. Instituut voor Sonologie

The Instituut voor Sonologie (Institute of Sonology) at the University of Utrecht replaced the studio at Philips Research Laboratories in Eindhoven in 1960. The insitute was initially named the Studio voor Elektronische Muziek (STEM, Studio for Electronic Music), before it was renamed in 1967 as the Institute of Sonology. In 1993, it moved to the Royal Conservatory of the Hague. Roelof Vermeulen was replaced as director in 1962 by Henk Badings, who was followed by Gottfried Michael Koenig (1964), Stan Tempelaars (1986), Konrad Boehmer (1994), and Kees Tazelaar (2006).

McGill University. Electronic Music Studio

The Electronic Music Studio in the Faculty of Music at McGill University was established by Istvan Anhalt in 1964. He remained the director until 1971, followed by Paul Pederson (1971-1974), Alcides Lanza (1974-2004), and Eric Johnstone. In 2004, it was renamed the Digital Composition Studios, directed by Sean Ferguson.

Bell Telephone Laboratories

Bell Telephone Laboratories, Inc. was established in 1925 through the consolidation of various engineering departments within the American Telephone & Telegraph (AT&T) Company and the Western Electric company. In 1934, AT&T's Development and Research Department, which had been devoted to bridging the gap between laboratory research and the operations of communication systems, was integrated into Bell Laboratories. In 1984, as a consequence of a divestiture agreement with the U.S. Government, AT&T Corporation divested itself of its local exchange companies. As part of the divestiture agreement, AT&T Technologies assumed the business of Western Electric and Bell Laboratories.
Within the sphere of electronic music, Bell Labs are particularly known for their work in computer music, the pioneering work of Max Matthews in digital sound synthesis, and the resulting MUSICn series of programs.

University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign campus). Electronic Music Studio

Lejaren Hiller established the electronic music studio at the University of Illinois in 1958. It was the first electro-acoustic facility in the United States of America. After Hiller left for the State University of New York at Buffalo, Herbert Brün took over as artistic director of the studio and James Beauchamp became the technical director. From 1969, Beauchamp was the director the studio, followed by Scott Wyatt in 1976. Wyatt remained the director for forty years, until his retirement in 2016. Eli Fieldsteel is now director of the Experimental Music Studios.

Institut national de l'audiovisuel (France). Groupe de recherches musicales

The Groupe de Recherches Musicales (GRM) is a French organization devoted to electro-acoustic music production, concerts, research, and teaching. It formed in 1958, including founding members Pierre Schaeffer, Luc Ferrarum François-Bernard Mâche, Ivo Malec, and Iannis Xenakis. Later members also included Bernard Parmegiani and François Bayle. In 1975, GRM became part of a new society of Office de Radiodiffusion-Télévision Française (ORTF), the Institut National de l’Audiovisuel (INA). Bayle succeeded Schaeffer as the director of GRM in 1966, followed by Daniel Teruggi in 1997.

New Zealand Broadcasting Corporation

Douglas Lilburn developed both the Electronic Music Studios of Victoria University of Wellington and the electronic music studio at the New Zealand Broadcasting Corporation (NZBC). Throughout his career, Lilburn wrote incidental music for radio places by NZBC.

Electronic Music Studios of Victoria University (Wellington, N.Z.)

Douglas Lilburn developed the Electronic Music Studios of Victoria University of Wellington in 1963, leading to the first generation of electronic music composers in New Zealand, including Jack Body, Ross Harris, John Rimmer, John Cousins, and Denis Smalley. The Studios moved from the Hunter Building to the School of Music in 1980, where they have remained, with additional spaces added and a refurbishment in 2015.

Le Caine, Hugh

Hugh Le Caine, physicist and instrument builder, was born Port Arthur (Thunder Bay), 27 May 1914, and died in Ottawa 3 July 1977. He worked with the National Research Council in Ottawa from 1940 to 1974, concentrating on musical activities after 1954. He created over twenty electronic instruments, and produced at least fifteen electroacoustic compositions.

Groupe de musique expérimentale de Bourges

Françoise Barrière and Christian Clozier founded the Groupe de musique expérimentale de Bourges (GMEB) in 1970. It was known for its creation of electroacoustic instruments for broadcasting or performance (the Gmebaphone) and for beginners (Gmebogosse).

Kenins, Talivaldis

Talivaldis Kenins, a composer and teacher, was born in Liepaja, Latvia on April 23, 1919. He received a Bachelier des lettres from the College de Menton and Lycee de Grenoble in France in 1939, before studying composition at the State Conservatory in Riga with Joseph Wihtol. During the second Soviet occupation of Latvia following World War Two, he returned to France, and entered the Conservatoire National Superieur de Paris in 1945, where he studied with Simone Plé-Caussade, Tony Aubin and Olivier Messiaen, among others. There, he received the Perilhou, Gouy d'Arcy and Halphen music prizes, and graduated in 1950 with the Grand Prix Laureate in composition.

Kenins emigrated to Canada in 1951, where he was the organist and music directory at St. Andrews Latvian Lutheran Church in Toronto. In 1952, he joined the Faculty of Music at the University of Toronto, where he taught composition and contrapuntal techniques until his retirement in 1984. Kenins composed chamber music, eight symphonies, twelve concertos, three cantatas, an oratorio, several choral works, and various educational pieces. His awards and honours include: the Champollion Silver Medal (Grenoble), Officer of the National Three-Star Order of the Republic of Latvia, and Honourary Professor by the Music Academy of Latvia.

Kenins passed away in Toronto on January 20, 2008.

Kasemets, Udo

Udo Kasemets, composer, pianist and writer, was born in Tallinn, Estonia, November 16, 1919, and emigrated to Canada in 1951, becoming a leader in the experimental avant-garde in music in Toronto. He passed away on January 19, 2014 in Toronto, Ontario.

Kasemets trained at the Tallinn Conservatory and the Stuttgart Academy of Music, as well as the Kranichstein Institute for New Music in Darmstadt, where he encountered Ernst Krenek, Edgard Varèse and Hermann Scherchen. In 1962-1963, Kasemets organized the first new music series in Toronto, "Men, Minds and Music," followed by the establishment of the Isaacs Gallery Mixed Media Concerts in 1965. In 1968, he directed the first Toronto Festival of Arts and Technology entitled "SightSoundSystems." In 1971, he joined the Faculty of the Department of Experimental Art at the Ontario College of Art, where he taught until his retirement in 1987.

Siemens-Studio für Elektronische Musik

The Siemens-Studio für Elektronische Musik in Munich, Germany was the first programmable recording studio, established in 1956. They are perhaps best known for the Siemens Synthesizer, developed by Helmut Klein and W. Schaaf at Siemens & Halske (1956-1959), which became the main component of the electronic studio. The studio was directed by Josef Riedl. Other composers who worked out of the studio included Mauricio Kagel, Bengt Hambraeus, Milko Kelemen, and Ernst Krenek, and the sound poet Ferdinand Kriwet. Control of the studio was taken over by a foundation in 1963 and its equipment was moved to Ulm in 1967, from where it was acquired by the Deutsches Museum in Munich.

Independent Electronic Music Center (Trumansburg, N.Y.)

Robert A. Moog set up the Independent Electronic Music Center (IEMC) in his factory in Trumansburg, New York as part of a summer workshop in 1965 for composers interested in electronic music composition. The studio continued after the workshop, and included the publication of a journal, the Electronic Music Review, edited by Moog and Robert Weidenaar (1967-1968).

M.I.T. Experimental Electronic Music Studio

The Experimental Electronic Music Studio at the Massachussetts Institute of Technology (MIT) was founded by Barry L. Vercoe in 1973. It was the first facility in the world to dedicate digital computers full-time to computer music research and composition. It was integrated into the MIT Media Laboratory in 1985.

National University of Córdoba. Centro de Música Experimental

  • Local
  • Corporate body
  • 1965-

The Centro de Música Experimental (Center for Experimental Music) at the National University of Córdoba was established in 1965 by Oscar Bazán, Pedro Echarte, Carlos Ferpozzi, Graciela Castillo, Virgilio Tosco, and Horacio Vaggione.

Princeton University. Department of music

Although music classes were offered at Princeton University prior to 1935, the department was not formalized until 1935 under Roy Dickinson Welch, the first director of the Program in Music, a special section established under the Department of Art and Archaeology. The Program in Music became a Department, with Welch as the chair, in 1945.

Gotham Recording Studios

  • Local
  • Corporate body
  • active [194-?] - 1967

The American electronic music composer Tod Dockstader (b. 1932) worked at Gotham Recording Studios from 1958 until 1965, producing several major compositions of musique concrète.

Philips Natuurkundig Laboratorium

The Philips Natuurkundig Laboratorium (Philips Physics Laboratory or NatLab) was part of the Philips research department, founded in 1914 and disbanded in 2001, when its facilities became the High Tech Campus Eindhoven. In 1954, they appointed Dick Raaijmakers (Kid Baltan) to develop instruments and compose music in NatLab's "Room 306". Philips closed the studio in 1960; it eventually became the Institute of Sonology at the Dutch Conservatory.

Frost, Henry

  • Local
  • Person
  • 1816-1851

Henry Frost was active in the musical community of York County, Upper Canada, between the years of 1835 and 1850. Henry Frost taught at a common school where he included music in the curriculum. It is believed that he was also responsible for musical activities in the local Anglican Church, (though the documentary history of the church was lost in a fire). Furthermore, according to established education patterns in upper Canada, he probably also served as a teacher in a singing school for adults.

State University of New York at Albany. Electronic Music Studio

  • Local
  • Corporate body
  • [1965?]-

Joel Chadabe established the electronic music studio at the University of Albany, where he worked from 1965 until 1998. He designed the Coordinated Electronic Music System (CEMS), which was built by Robert Moog and installed in the studio in 1969.

Princeton University. Computer Center

James Kirtland (J.K.) Randall and Godfrey Winham developed facilities for work in the computer synthesis of sound at Princeton University sometime in the early 1960s. In 1970, Winham and Kenneth Stieglitz established a digital-to-analogue conversion laboratory, which was later renamed the Godfrey Winham Laboratory.

Results 1 to 50 of 108