Captain Norman W. Borring was among the liberators of the Laufen Concentration Camp, 5 May 1945.
Captain Norman W. Borring was among the liberators of the Laufen Concentration Camp, 5 May 1945.
Sir Byron Edmund Walker was a Canadian banker, art collector and philanthropist, president of the Canadian Bank of Commerce, co-founder of National Art Gallery of Canada, Art Museum of Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum, Champlain Society, and Chancellor of the University of Toronto.
William “Bill” Eberts Kenneth Brown (December 8, 1917-April 15, 1948) was born and raised in Toronto, Ontario. He graduated with an engineering degree from the University of Toronto. During the war, Bill served as a Lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Engineers, where his chief function was building Bailey Bridges, used to transport Allied troops over rivers when retreating Germans had bombed the original structures. He also worked on constructing roads that had been bombed out, but much preferred the challenges of bridge work.
Wilma Marion Brown (née Perry) (March 11, 1921- November 20, 2003) was born and raised in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She received training in nursing at the University of Manitoba and served as a Lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Medical Corps, where she was a Physio and Occupational Therapist.
Herbert Marshall McLuhan was born in Edmonton, Alberta on 21 July 1911 to Herbert Ernest McLuhan, a salesman, and Elsie Naomi (Hall) McLuhan, an actress and monologist. The family moved to Winnipeg, where McLuhan attended the University of Manitoba from 1929 to 1934, receiving a Bachelor or Arts and a Master of Arts in English literature.
After teaching English at various American universities, McLuhan returned to Canada in 1944 to teach at Assumption College in Windsor. From 1946 until shortly before his death, he taught English at St. Michael's College, University of Toronto. In 1963, McLuhan became the director of the University of Toronto's newly-established Centre for Culture and Technology. The Centre conducted research on questions of sensory perception and other communications-related issues and offered academic courses.
McLuhan's books include the following: The Mechanical Bride (1951), The Gutenberg Galaxy (1961), for which he was awarded the Governor General's prize for critical prose; Understanding Media (1964); The Medium is the Massage (1967, with Quentin Fiore); War and Peace in the Global Village (1968, with Quentin Fiore); Through the Vanishing Point (1968, with Harley Parker); Counterblast (1969, with Harley Parker); Culture is Our Business (1970); From Cliché to Archetype (1970, with Wilfred Watson); Take Today (1972, with Barrington Nevitt); and The City as Classroom (1977, with Eric McLuhan and Kathryn Hutchon).
Víctor Viano was born in Rio Primero, Córdoba, Argentina in 1939. In Argentina, he studied art, illustration, and other fields of creative production and expression including radio and television. In 1968, Viano moved with his family to Caracas, Venezuela after winning a contest to become the Art Director of the Ricardo de Luca Advertisement agency (a prestigious advertising and marketing firm working for high profile corporate clients such as Gillette). After a year, Viano left his role at the Ricardo de Luca Advertisement agency to focus solely on editorial and book design as a freelancer although he continued to take on additional artistic and corporate projects. During his time in Venezuela, he designed logos, newspaper mastheads, and some album covers. He worked for many Venezuelan publishing houses including Monte Ávila Editores (one of the most prestigious publishing houses in Latin America), Tiempo Nuevo, Letras Nuevas, The Magazine of National Culture, Editorial Arte, Simón Bolívar University, Zulia’s Culture Institute, and the Venezuelan government. Subsequently, Viano moved to Spain and continued his editorial and book design work in Europe. During his time in Spain, Viano designed the branding and book covers of the Ediciones Mandorla (an independent Spanish publishing house), completed artistic and corporate design projects, and contributed his designs to exhibitions. As described by Faride Mereb of Ediciones Letra Muerta, Viano’s editorial work in Venezuela and Spain is noted for its bold designs and visual metaphors, ornamented borders and capitals, and the use of large titles on dust jackets. According to Mereb, Viano’s style was undoubtedly influenced by his experience working in advertising and reflected a new era of bold marketing in the publishing world. Víctor Viano died in Spain in 2000.
Vasilii Nikolaevich Azhaev (1915-1968) was born in the village of Sotskoye, Moscow province, in 1915. Arrested in 1934 for ‘counter-revolutionary activities,’ Azhaev was sentenced to four years as a prisoner in the Corrective Labour Camp of the Baikal-Amur Main Line of the People’s Commissariat of Internal affairs (BAMLAG NKVD) in Svobodnyi, in the Far East. Following his early release in March 1937, Azhaev remained in the camp as a ‘free labourer.’ He also contributed to and worked as a chief editor of various camp publications. These did not circulate beyond the camp’s limits. There he completed his novel Daleko ot Moskvy [Far from Moscow], which won the Stalin Prize for literature in 1949. The novel depicted construction of a pipeline in the Far East. He died in 1968 in Moscow.
In 1910, Ukrainian men living in Toronto founded the Ruthenian National Benevolent Society, which aimed “to unite in brotherly love all Ruthenians” living in Canada by providing “moral and material help” to members, “education in Ruthenian and English,” and care for “social and spiritual wellbeing.” Membership in the society fluctuated, reaching a low of 25 members in 1915 but then expanding to 195 members in 1917. Some of these new members wanted to engage in cultural activities and founded an Amateurs’ Circle in 1916. Building on the activities of the Benevolent Society and Amateurs’ Club, the Taras Shevchenko Prosvita Reading Room was founded in 1917. This educational and cultural organization regularly performed concerts, dances, and plays, held lectures, and had a library. In 1919 it also opened a school with 86 children and four teachers. However, Prosvita did not have its own building, so the society began a fundraising campaign in 1923 and soon purchased three lots at 711-715 Bathurst St. In 1927, Prosvita sold these lots and purchased the Salvation Army Hall, which had been damaged by fire, at 191 Lippincott St. Following some repairs, the building was officially opened on December 15, 1928 as the Ukrainian People’s Home.
The Ukrainian People’s Home had a choir, theatre and dance ensembles, school, and library. During its peak activity in the 1920s-1950s, weekly performances were held at the home, and ensembles regularly performed at other events too. The mixed choir performed for a wide variety of Ukrainian and non-Ukrainian audiences, often performing up to twice a week at concerts, churches, clubs, and on the radio. The choir was also a regular performer at the Canadian National Exhibition. By the early 1950s, the choir had 402 members and had performed 445 times in Toronto and throughout southern Ontario. Theatre was another major aspect of the society’s activities, with weekly performances of plays by prominent Ukrainian playwrights. In 1925, the first North American school for Ukrainian dance opened at the Ukrainian People’s Home under the direction of Vasyl Avramenko. Like the choir, the dance ensemble performed for a wide range of audiences, and its performances at the Canadian National Exhibition, with 200 dancers on stage, were particularly popular. From 1930-1936, the society held an annual four-day-long book and press exhibition in its concert hall, where up to 2,200 volumes by Ukrainian authors were displayed, along with maps and artwork. Educational events run by the Ukrainian People’s Home included English classes, courses on Ukrainian literature, and talks given by speakers from Ukraine and western Europe.
While the Ruthenian National Benevolent Society had been a men’s organization, women were involved in all aspects of the Ukrainian People’s Home. Ukrainian women held an embroidery exhibit at the Canadian National Exhibition from 1921-1951, and in 1927 a women’s group was formed at the Home to organize similar art and embroidery exhibits, as well as parties, teas, and other social events. Children also participated in the Ukrainian People’s Home, where they could attend Ukrainian school, receive music lessons, play in the children’s orchestra, and join the youth group.
Although focused on culture and education, the Ukrainian People’s Home was occasionally involved in political activities. When Queen Maria of Romania was detained in Toronto for a few hours while on a trip to the United States in 1926, members of the society gave her a communique protesting the oppression of Ukrainians by Romanians in Bukovina. Another political protest occurred in January 1934, when Jewish organizations invited Sholom Schwarzbard, who had killed the leader-in-exile of the Ukrainian People’s Republic Symon Petliura in 1924, to speak in Toronto. The society said that it would use whatever means necessary, including force, to prevent his public speaking. Schwarzbard did travel to Toronto but did not give any public talks. The society sought to protect the interests of Ukrainians, but it was not a partisan or religious organization, and it allowed members to join any Canadian political party and encouraged religious tolerance.
As the Ukrainian-Canadian community became more prosperous in the second half of the 20th century and Ukrainians moved to other regions of Toronto, the activities of the Ukrainian People’s Home decreased. Nonetheless, 191 Lippincott St. continued to house a Ukrainian library, student organizations, and dance and music groups through the early 1980s.
The Ukrainian Canadian Advocates’ Society, located at 191 Lippincott St., was incorporated in 1986 and dissolved in 2015.
Gregorovich, Andrew. “The Ukrainian Community in Toronto from World War One to 1971.” https://archives.studentscommission.ca/magic/mt54.html.
Hutzuliak, Vera. “The Ukrainian People’s Home: Toronto’s Landmark on Lippincott Street.” Student 15, no. 79 (January 1983), 7.
Marunchak, M. H. The Ukrainian Canadians: A History. Winnipeg and Ottawa: Ukrainian Free Academy of Science, 1970.
Nykoliak, Dmytro A. Korotkyi istorychnyi narys ukrainsʹkoho narodnoho domu v Toronto: z nahody 35-litnoï pratsi tovarystva. Toronto: Nakl. Ukrainsʹkoho Narodnoho domu, 1953.
Rastrick is a small village in the riding of West Yorkshire in the vicinity of Brighouse. The Overseer of the Poor of Rastrick was a
yearly appointed and unpaid position, usually a landowner or church warden, who was tasked with assisting the poor of the parish.
This included estimating how much poor relief was required and setting the poor rate accordingly, as well as collecting the tax levied
on land and business owners, distributing relief to needy individuals and supervising the poor house. Prior to 1837, the Overseer at
Rastrick facilitated the treatment of the poor through the provisions set by the Gilbert Act (1782). Under this act, only the elderly, sick
and orphaned were removed to the workhouse, all able-bodied poor were eligible for ‘out-relief,’ which included monetary assistance
for food, clothing, schooling and housing. In 1834, the Poor Law Amendment Act emphasized that out-relief should cease and instead
that assistance only be given inside the workhouse. The roll-out of this new amendment was not put into effect in Lancashire and
Yorkshire (including Rastrick) until 1837. The Outdoor Labour Test Order of 1842 did reinstate out-relief to some capacity for the
Ivan was born in the village of Koniushky in the Lviv region. He enlisted with the Polish cavalry in 1938 and, during the September Campaign of 1939, was wounded and captured by German armed forces. Ivan spent the rest of the war moving from one forced labour camp to another in the Hamburg region. Afterwards, he passed through several displaced persons camps in Lower Saxony and Schleswig‐Holstein. Ivan, an artist and musician, participated actively in the cultural life of Camp Korigen. He painted icons for the camp church, created stage sets for the performances staged there, and designed the costumes and makeup for the actors, crafted dolls for children, and played the violin both solo and with the camp orchestra, which he organized. In addition, Ivan illustrated camp journals, including Dzhmil´ (Bumblebee), a satirical‐humorous publication.
Ivan and Nadija Pip immigrated to Canada in 1948-1949. In Canada, Nadija Jaremenko Pip taught in several Ukrainian schools in Winnipeg and continued to write for Ukrainian-language periodicals and pedagogical journals.
Emmi Oligschläger married Hermann Meinhardt in 1939, and they had one daughter, Ingeborg (Inga). Herman Meinhardt was killed by Allied Troops near Felbecke, Germany in April 1945. Emmi remarried in 1947 and soon lost touch with most of the Meinhardt family.
Horatio Boultbee, 1876-1952, a brother of the architect, Arthur Boultbee, was trained as an architect, but did not practice. He devoted himself to the study of the English language. While he published very little, he was a considerable influence among a small circle of acquaintances who were interested in writing and the study of poetry.
Horatio Boultbee was president of the Toronto Tennis Club, and a member of the Arts and Letters Club. He died in Toronto at the age of 76.
His publications were:
William Smellie (1836-1919) immigrated to Glenelg Township, Ontario from Scotland with his father, William Smellie.
William Robert (W.R) Patterson was born in 1859 in Kent County, Ontario and was the oldest child of Philip Bolling Patterson (1830-1922) and Alcinda Francis Parker (1840-1892). Philip Patterson and Alcinda Parker were both born enslaved in Virginia and escaped to Canada, settling in Chatham, in the 1850s. They married on 4 October 1860, and the couple had twelve children: William Robert (1859), Philip (1863), Thomas (1864), John Henry (1866), James (1868), Lucy “Lulu” Ellen (1870), Kiziah Victoria (1873), Clement Herman (1877), Anna Frances (1879), Prince Albert (1879), Bertia (1883) and Nathaniel Oscar (1885). The family was a musical one with at least three of the siblings, W.R, Thomas and Nathaniel Oscar working as professional musicians. The children grew up on a farm in Harwich township and attended local segregated schools until 1893 when the schools in the area were desegregated. W.R moved to Hamilton and was involved with music both locally and touring the United States with his first wife, Fannie Harris (1864-1909). After Fannie’s death in 1909, W.R remarried in 1910 to Mary Morton (1885-?) and settled permanently in Hamilton where he worked as a barber along with organizing and performing in local singing groups. W.R died in 1931. W.R.’s youngest brother, Nathaniel Oscar (N.O.) was born twenty-five years after W.R. but the brothers maintained a close relationship in adulthood. N.O. began touring as a musician by 1907 when he sang as a baritone soloist in the Old Southland Sextette in Chicago. N.O. married Lillian Belle Isabell (1882-?), a professional vocalist from Norfolk Virginia, on 13 December 1911 in Huron, Ontario. The couple soon began singing with the Famous Canadian Jubilee Singers, a well-known Black spiritual group which was founded in 1879 in Hamilton, Ontario. By March 1914, N.O had established his own group, the Patterson’s Jubilee Quartet and Concert Company, which featured N.O., his wife Lillian, along with Chonita Hyers (1893-1953) of Amherstburg, Ontario and Hiriam Berry (1894-1983) of Hamilton. The group was first based in Hamilton, but by 1915, had moved to Buffalo, New York. They toured in the United States throughout the war years. N.O contracted the Spanish Flu while on a visit home to Hamilton and died on 19 October 1918 at age 32.
Hermann Meinhardt (1910-1945) was the son of Alfred and Arnoldine (née von Wedell) Meinhardt. Hermann had three siblings, his elder sister Hedwig (Heidi), his younger sister Charlotte (Lotti) and Ernst, a younger brother. Alfred Meinhardt was a businessman who owned what would be referred to today as a commercial dry-cleaning company, specializing in preserving restaurant draperies. His wife Arnoldine’s love for the Arts influenced a broad artistic education for their children. Hermann studied at the Music Conservatory in Cologne, Heidi became a dancer and Lotti dabbled in painting for most of her life. Difficult economic times in the 1930’s guided Hermann towards more practical pursuits and he found employment in the offices of the Braunkohlen Synidcat in Cologne. Hermann Meinhardt married Emmi Oligschläger in 1939, and they had one daughter, Ingeborg (Inga). Herman Meinhardt was killed by Allied Troops near Felbecke, Germany in April 1945.
Wartime records indicate that Hermann was a member of the German Airforce 3. Batterie, I. Abteilung, Flakregiment 4 (I./Flak Regt. 4), which took him to France, Austria, Ukraine, Romania and Southern Russia, and that he held the position of Obergefreiter (leading aircraftsman) on 08.03.1943.
When Nazi Germany invaded Ukraine in 1941, the occupying forces took Dr. Pip’s mother, Nadija Jaremenko, from her native village of Shpola in Cherkasy province to Germany to work as an Ostarbeiter (Eastern Worker), a form of slave labour. Nadija ended up in a prison camp in Itzehoe. Following liberation by British forces, she was sent to Wagenfeld, and then Korigen. At the latter camp, Nadia composed poetry (under her name and the pseudonyms N. Iskra and Ya. Idan) describing her contemporary living conditions and feelings, took part in amateur plays, and taught at the makeshift school. She also contributed to Camp Korigen’s journal Na chuzhyni (In a Foreign Country). While there, Nadija Jaremenko met her eventual husband, Ivan Pip.
Ivan and Nadija Pip immigrated to Canada in 1948-1949. In Canada, Nadija Jaremenko Pip taught in several Ukrainian schools in Winnipeg and continued to write for Ukrainian-language periodicals and pedagogical journals.
Miriam Saville was a diabetic patient treated by Dr. Charles Best in the late 1920s/early 1930s when she was about thirteen years old.
Mable N. Nobel was the daughter of Percy G.B. Westmacott who served a nurse with the Red Cross
during World War I.
Percy G.B. Westmacott (1830-1917) was a British mechanical engineer. He began work as a draughtsman at the Elswick Ordnance Company, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, in 1851, and in 1859 was responsible for technical management of the engine works at Elswick as well as for contributions to the hydraulic lifting machinery department. In 1864 he became a partner of Sir W.G. Armstrong and Co., then managing director in 1882. Sir. W.G. Armstrong and Co. was a major British manufacturing company that built armaments, ships, locomotives, automobiles and aircraft. Westmacott then became involved in bridge building, helping to design swing bridges on the Ouse and Tyne rivers, as well as working on the principle docks on the Thames in South Wales and other part of the country.
Kathleen Innes Stewart was born 9 April 1908 in London, England as the oldest child of George and Louise Stewart. Her father soon moved the family to Cleveland, Ohio, where he headed at the H.K Cushing Laboratory for Experimental Medicine at Western Reserve University. In 1922, the family – now including Kathleen and her three younger brothers – moved to Toronto, where Kathleen attended Havergal College. She later attended University College at the University of Toronto, and graduated in 1928 before leaving on an eleven month trip through Europe with her close friend, Kathleen Sutton. George Stewart died in 1930, and Louise Stewart died in 1933, leaving Kathleen to care for her younger brothers. Kathleen Stewart married James Fitz-Randolph Crowe in 1935, and they travelled across the United States and Canada performing in theatres together under the stage names Kathleen and Norman Roland; including the opening season of the Stratford Festival. Kathleen wrote cookbooks for additional income and worked for the Canadian National Film Board during the Second World War. She worked on the stage until the 1960s, whereupon she became a social worker in New York City. She died in New York in 2003 at the age of 95.
Eloísa Cartonera is a graphic arts and independent publishing cooperative founded in 2003 in Buenos Aires by Fernanda Laguna, Washington Cucurto (Santiago Vega), and Javier Barilaro. Eloísa Cartonera publishes illustrated and handmade books of poetry, novels, short stories, and essays. The texts are created and donated by established and emerging Latin American authors, poets, artists, and activists. The Eloísa Cartonera team works with cartoneros, or cardboard collectors, to source material used for the covers of their illustrated handmade books. The small-scale, independent collective model of production and the use of inexpensive and recyclable materials creates publications that support social solidarity and sustainability efforts and make books accessible to a wider public.
Colonel Benjamin Aylett Branfill was an artist, remembered especially for his enormous founding contributions and pioneering influence to the art scene in the late nineteenth century in Nelson, New Zealand. He was a well-known illustrator and was published in T.L Wilson’s History and Topography of Upminster (1880).
He was born on 26 February 1828 to Champion and Anne (nee Hammond) Branfill in Upminster, England. Benjamin was the fourth child of eight. He spent his childhood at Upminster Hall, a fifteenth-century Estate home that had been the ancestral home of his family since 1685. He was educated at Forest School in Walthamstow. Within the span of a year, between 1843 and 1844, Benjamin would lose both his brother, Egerton, and his father of illness. On the 5 April 1846, at the age of 18, he joined the 10th Royal Hussars Cavalry regiment (Prince of Wales’ Own) at the rank of Cornet, but quickly rose to the rank of Lieutenant by 1847. He traveled to India with the regiment in 1846 and then to the Crimea in 1855. Upon returning to England in June 1856, he married Mary Anna Miers on 1 July 1857 at Cheltenham and they had 8 children: Champion Edward (b. 1858), Capel Aylett (b. 1859), Mary Leigh (b. 1860), Ethel Aylett (b. 1862), Helen Hammond (b. 1863), Egerton Brydges (b. 1864, d. 1866), Francis Lisle (b. 1865), and Benjamin (b. 1871). On 6 May 1859, he was assigned Deputy Assistant Quartermaster General (DAQMG) in Ireland and lived in Dublin until 1864. From 1864 to 1881, he traveled widely, making trips to Gibraltar, Cape Town, and Mauritius, as well as having extended postings in Bermuda (May 1873- March 1874) and India (1875-1876). He retired as a Lieutenant-Colonel in October 1877. He inherited Upminster Hall in 1873 and resided there with his family after his retirement. In 1881, he immigrated to New Zealand and settled in Nelson. Once there, he became an art instructor and critic for the Bishopdale Sketching Club. In New Zealand, Branfill’s life focused primarily on art, religious study, music, horticulture and photography. He died 4 January 1899 at the age of 70.
Chava Rosenfarb (1923-2011) was a prominent Yiddish poet, author, playwright and a Holocaust survivor. Born in Lodz, Poland, Rosenfarb received a secular Yiddish and Polish education before being incarcerated in the Lodz ghetto where she received her high school diploma. She began writing poetry in the Ghetto and was recognized early for her talent. Having survived Auschwitz, the Sasel labour camp, and Bergen Belsen, the author emigrated to Canada in 1950 where she wrote prolifically until the end of her life. She is the recipient of numerous awards including Israel’s Manger Prize, the Canadian Jewish Book Award, and two J.I Segal Awards.
Joseph de Brettes (1861-1934) was a French explorer, surveyor, and author, as well as a businessman and delegate. De Brettes made two geographical explorations to the interior regions of Gran Chaco in South America, first in 1886, and again in 1888. From 1892 to 1893 he was exploring Colombia and making sociological and ethnographical observations of the Arhuaco and the Ahuaco-Kagaba Indigenous peoples (Kogi People)in the Sierra Nevada region. After a sojourn in France, he returned for further exploration in Colombia from 1895 to 1898.
Joseph Raymond MacDougal (known as Raymond throughout his life) was born in Toronto on 5 May 1917 to Paul MacDougal (1883-1958) and Marie Ellen Swan (1995-1961). MacDougal was a keen photographer and captured his British and European biking excursion in 1936. In 1940, after the outbreak of war, MacDougal joined the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), he hoped to be accepted as a photographer, but was instead assigned to be an observer. He trained in Toronto, before being sent to Clinton, Ontario, the site of a secret radar base, where he assisted with construction and set-up. In the summer of 1941, he attended the Initial Training School (ITS) at Belleville, before being sent to Ancienne Lorette in Quebec for flight training as a navigator. After 64 hours of flight hours, McDougal was transferred due to extreme air-sickness. He was assigned to the Clinical Investigation Unit and was sent to Toronto, where he trained in blood grouping and transfusion and was then transferred to Halifax and, later, to Regina to do blood labs for soldiers going overseas and also assisted with experiments on floatation devices, ditching suits and oxygen regulation. In October 1943, he returned to the secret No. 1 Clinical Investigation Unit located at 1107 Avenue Road in Toronto. MacDougal took over the photographic and joined the motion picture staff, where he worked on educational films for the RAF and RCAF and worked on aerial photography advancements. MacDougal also photographed activities at No. 1 Clinical Investigation Unit including experiments on centrifugal force on pilots at the Banting laboratory.
Raymond MacDougal married Eleanor Campbell on 18 October 1941 and had four children. After the war, he attended medical school at the University of Toronto and graduated in June 1953. Between 1954 and 1957, he worked as the Chief Medical officer for the Food and Drug Directorate in Ottawa, after which he relocated to Montreal to become the medical director of the pharmaceutical company, Frank W. Horner. He later became the Medical Director of Burroughs Wellcome & Co. After he retired, he worked as a consultant for the Terry Fox Foundation organizing studies for the drug Interferon. In 2002, he was awarded the Queen’s Golden Jubilee medal.
Raymond MacDougal died on 20 November 2004 in Kingston, Ontario at the age of 8
Shelley Freeman is a visual artist based in Montreal, Canada. She first studied painting, drawing and typography at York University in Toronto, through a Bachelor of Fine Arts (class of 1974). After taking a typography course co-instructed by Stan Bevington (1943-) and Nelson Adams (1942-2019) of Coach House Press (CHP) in the fall of 1973, Freeman was able to secure a summer job at the press herself, from April 1974 to August 1975. During her time at CHP and beyond, Freeman kept in touch with Adams. In these postcards and letters, Adams reflects on his travels in Europe in the mid-1970s and his decision to enroll in Library School and become a Junior Fellow at Massey College, at the University of Toronto, beginning in September of 1976. He also shares updates on his ongoing printing projects and passes along samples of his hand-printed cards and pamphlets.
William George Browne (1768-1813) was an English travel writer. In 1799 he published “Travels in Africa, Egypt and Syria, from the years 1792 to 1798.” His papers also formed the basis of 2 works by Robert Walpole (1781-1856); “Remarks written at Constantinople” (1802) and “Memoirs relating to European and Asiatic Turkey” (1820). He went on a second journey in 1800, this time to Anatolia, visiting places such as Greece and Sicily. His third and final journey took place in 1813 where he was murdered by robbers on route to Tehran.
Peter Rehak is a Canadian journalist who has worked in North America and Europe in print, television and new media. For 18 years he was an Executive Producer of CTV Television Network’s investigative program W5. During Rehak’s term the network aired an episode about Imre Finta (1912-2003), accusing him of committing war crimes against Hungarian Jews during the Second World War when he was a police captain in the Royal Hungarian gendarmerie. Finta sued the network for slander. In crafting their defense, CTV lawyers and Rehak traveled in 1985 to Hungary, Israel and Vienna, recording witness testimonies. Finta had immigrated to Canada in 1951, becoming a successful restauranteur in downtown Toronto. He was the first and only person in Canada to be prosecuted for alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity, charged with confinement, kidnapping, robbery, and manslaughter of 8, 617 Jews. After a lengthy criminal trial in the Ontario Supreme Court, a jury acquitted Finta on all counts. The acquittal was upheld by the Ontario Supreme Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. Rehak collected materials relating to Finta intending to write a book but abandoned the project when Finta was acquitted.
Philip Valentine King (PVK) Tripe was born on Ottawa on 24 July 1918 to Ethel Teresa (Davison) and Valentine King Tripe. He had two older sisters, Margaret Helena King Tripe (b. 1912) and Marian Florence King Tripe (b. 1915). He attended Lisgar Collegiate in Ottawa and attended St. Barnabas Anglican Church on James Street. PVK Tripe met Elizabeth Ann Rannie (b. 13 October 1920) at Constance Bay on the Ottawa River in 1936. He began taking flying lessons at the Ottawa Flying Club in 1938 and received his Private Pilot’s Certificate of Competency on 3 November 1938. He was unable to join the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) as an officer without a university degree, and decided to join the Royal Air Force (RAF) instead; leaving for England in the winter of 1939 and arriving on 6 March 1939. He applied to join the RAF and reported for training 3 April 1939. He developed undulant fever from contaminated milk in the summer of 1939, and returned to Canada on 13 October 1939 on sick leave. He recovered and returned on 13 November 1939. PVK was granted the rank of Pilot Officer on 16 December 1939. Elizabeth Rannie traveled with her father Leslie Rannie to England in February 1940, and Elizabeth and PVK were married in the Parish Church of Moreton Sayr on 6 March 1940, nearby where he was stationed at Tern Hill, Shropshire. Elizabeth and her daughter, Anne (b. 1940), would live in Chester throughout the war with family friends – the Pickmeres. PVK Tripe flew continuously throughout the war, accumulating 1221 flying hours, with over 600 hours as a Spitfire pilot. He provided fighter protection at Dieppe and the Schweinfurt- Regensburg Raids, and flew observational sorties at Normandy. PVK was promoted to Flying Officer on 23 July 1940 and Flight Lieutenant a year later, serving with 65 squadron during the summer. In October 1942, he was posted to 222 ‘Natal’ Squadron as a Flight Commander. In September 1943, he was promoted to command 129 Squadron. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) on 25 January 1944. In August 1944, he was posted to commanding officer of 130 ‘Punjab’ Squadron. He was transferred to the RCAF in December 1944. On 16 January 1945 his Spitfire XIV was hit by US anti-aircraft fire while he was attacking motor vehicles near Malmedy and caught fire, he bailed out safely and suffered minor injuries. He was sent back to Canada in April 1945, with Elizabeth and Anne returning in June. PVK remained in the military and was posted to CFB Trenton in 1946, and conducted additional training in Kingston and the Staff College in Toronto, before being posted to the Pine Tree Line radar base at Lac St. Denis, PQ. The family was posted to Trier, Germany in 1953 and lived in Echternach, Luxembourg, until they returned to Canada in 1956. He was posted to the St. Hubert RCAF base in Quebec, and then to Brunswick, Maine from 1960-1963. PVK Tripe worked with NORAD in North Bay and Colorado Springs, afterwards he retired in 1969 to North Bay, where he worked in real estate. PVK Tripe died as a result of an accidental drowning when he fell through the ice, while iceboating, on 31 December 1982.
Margaret Bloy Graham (1920-2015) was a Canadian illustrator and author best known for her pictures for the children’s book Harry the Dirty Dog, a collaboration with her then-husband Gene Zion. First published in 1956, the book turned into a series and garnered much praise with Harper Collins releasing a 50th anniversary edition in 2006. Graham also illustrated a series she wrote herself about a dog named Benjy. She was a runner up twice for the Caldecott medal (awarded by the American Library Association to the best illustrated book of the year) for the books All Falling Down (1951) and The Storm Book (1952). Born in Toronto, Graham studied art as a child and earned a degree in art history from the University of Toronto before moving to New York where she pursued a career as a commercial artist.
Robert Timothy Stansfield Frankford was born 1 August 1939 in Nottingham England and was the son of Margaret (born Little), an English Quaker mother, and Walter, a Viennese Jewish father. He did his medical training at the University of London (England) atSt. George's Hospital Medical School. He emigrated to Canada in the late 1960s and settled in Toronto.
Best known as a champion of the right to health care and access to health care, Frankford’s concerns extended to other issues, including racism, homelessness, and inequality in all its forms. A long-time admirer of the work of Jane Jacobs, he advocated for more liveable cities, and he worked at this and other issues at many levels and in many ways. He was known for his advocacy of universal primary care registration, capitation payment for physicians, and working as a primary care doctor in a team together with other health care professionals.
Frankford was elected as an MPP for Scarborough East as a member of the New Democratic Party from 1990 to 1995. He also worked for his country, his province, his city, his community, his neighbourhood and his profession by volunteering his time to be a member of committees, councils, boards, and non-governmental organizations with missions focused on the good works in which he believed.
When he left the Ontario Legislature, he worked for three years as Attending Physician at Seaton House and during and after that time worked on behalf of the homeless in Toronto. He had a special long-term interest in the plight of foreign-trained professionals, doctors and others, and he mentored foreign-trained doctors seeking to practice their professions in Ontario. Since his days as an MPP, when he first encountered the Sickle Cell Association of Ontario, he remained involved with them and had attended a telephone conference meeting a little more than 48 hours before his death.
Frankford died 1 August 2015 at the age of 75.
Dr. Anne Gairdner Calihoo Anderson (1906-1997) was a Métis Elder, cultural advocate and champion of the Cree language. Anne Anderson was born near St. Albert, Alberta in 1906 as Anne Calihoo Gairdner to William Gairdner and Elizabeth Calihoo, who was Métis. Anderson was the oldest daughter of ten siblings and grew up speaking Cree at home. She was educated in english at a nearby Grey Nuns convent before returning to work on the family farm after the death of her father in 1922. Anderson married, had children of her own and worked as a nurse’s aid throughout her adult life. In 1965, Anne’s mother, Elizabeth died and, on her deathbed, urged her daughter to teach and preserve the Cree language. While Anne had no formal training as a teacher or educator, she published her first Cree language manual in 1969 and would go on to write 93 books on the Cree language and Métis history before her death in 1997. She petitioned the Alberta school board to teach Cree in schools and taught language classes for sixteen years before opening the Dr. Anne Anderson Native Heritage and Cultural Centre in Edmonton in 1984. Anderson’s Centre provided Cree classes for children and adults, was a community hub for cultural events, boasted a library and museum, and also sold Indigenous and Métis arts and crafts. Anderson also organized programs to teach Cree at the University of Alberta, patients in local hospitals, inmates at the Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Centre and children and young adults in the fostercare system. Anderson published her books independently through her own organization, Cree Productions, and she is most well-known for her Cree-English dictionary, Dr. Anne Anderson’s Metis Cree Dictionary (1975, republished 1997) which translated 38,000 words into Cree. Anderson also wrote a history of the Métis in Alberta, The First Métis – A New Nation in 1985. Anderson received many accolades during her lifetime including the Alberta Achievement Award and a honourary Doctorate from the University of Alberta in 1975, the Order of Canada in 1979, and as a valued Elder in the Métis Nation. Anderson died in 1997.
The Indian-Eskimo Association (I.E.A.) was first established as a commission for the Canadian Association for Adult Education (CAAE) in 1957 to study issues in Indigenous communities and issues faced by Indigenous individuals living off reserves. In 1960, the commission withdrew from the CAAE and formed the Indian-Eskimo Association with the purpose of providing national services to Indigenous communities and individuals including housing, community, and economic development, as well as fundraising and to provide a forum for research on Indigenous issues by both Indigenous and non-Indigenous people, scholars, activists, organizations, and governmental entities. The I.E.A had a mixed membership and Indigenous individuals formed at least 25% of the membership of the I.E.A, and sat on the Board of Directors. One of the services of the I.E.A was a library, which actively collected books, as well as amassing reports, periodicals, speeches, and pamphlets by or relating to Indigenous communities and issues. The library provided research resources and reproduced speeches, press releases, offprints and reports, and developed and shared bibliographies and booklists. The I.E.A’s headquarters was originally in Toronto, but in 1973, they moved to Ottawa and changed their name to the Canadian Association in Support of Native Peoples. The association dissolved in 2015.
Duncan Campbell Scott (1862-1947) was a Canadian civil servant, poet and short story writer. Scott was a member of a group known as the "Confederation poets" which also included Charles G.D. Roberts, Bliss Carman, and Archibald Lampman. This term was first applied to them by scholar and editor Malcolm Ross when he collected their work in the anthology Poets of the Confederation (McClelland & Stewart, 1960). The Confederation poets were the first Canadian writers to become widely known after Confederation in 1867. Scott’s legacy as one of Canada’s preeminent poets has been overshadowed by the prominent role he played in supporting the forced assimilation of Indigenous children through the residential school system.
In 1880 Scott joined the Canadian Department of Indian Affairs as a third-class clerk. In 1893 he was promoted to Chief Accountant. He was made superintendent of Indian Education in 1909 and was deputy superintendent-general from 1913 to 1932. As deputy superintendent, Scott oversaw and expanded the residential school system for Indigenous children stating his goal was to “get rid of the Indian problem.” In its 2015 report, Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) stated that that residential schools were “part of a coherent policy to eliminate Aboriginal people as distinct peoples and to assimilate them into the Canadian mainstream against their will.” The establishment and operation of residential schools has been labelled by the TRC as cultural genocide.
Additional information on the legacy of Duncan Campbell Scott can be accessed here: https://fncaringsociety.com/sites/default/files/duncan_campbell_scott_information_sheet_final.pdf.