Showing 3505 results

People and organizations

Clery, Val

  • 1996.002
  • Person
  • 1925-1996

Reginald Valentine (Val) Clery was born on January 26, 1924 in Dublin. After serving as a commando in the British army during World War II, Clery worked as a radio producer for the CBC’s London bureau. Clery eventually immigrated to Canada and Toronto in 1965 where he continued to work with the CBC, pioneering the concept of the “callout” radio show as manifested in the long running show “As It Happens”. Clery is perhaps best known for his role in the creation of the independent review journal Books in Canada, which he co-founded in 1971, but during his career he also published books within a broad and esoteric variety of genres including ghost stories, picture books, and cooking books. Clery also served as a Jazz music columnist for the Toronto Star. Clery passed away in Toronto on September 29, 1996 at the age of 72.

Siren, Paul

  • 1999.008
  • Person
  • 1917-2009

Paul Siren was born in Alppila, Ontario on July 19, 1917. Although forced to abandon his formal studies before the commencement of high school, Siren enjoyed a long and prominent career as a trade union leader and organizer. In 1942 Siren was appointed the International Representative of the United Auto Workers (UAW), a position that he held until 1960. From 1960 – 1964, Siren worked as an independent consultant for stakeholders in labour disputes.

After leaving the automobile manufacturing sector, Siren held several key positions in the creative community trade labour union movement. Posts held by Siren during this period include: General Secretary of ACTRA (1965 – 1985), member of the Executive Committee of the International Federation of Actors (1967 – 1985), Chairman of the English speaking group of the International Federation of Actors, (1973 – 1985), executive committee member for the International Federation of Artists, Canadian representative at UNESCO during the drafting of that group’s Recommendations on the Status of the Artist (1980), co-chairman of the Canadian Task Force on the Status of the Artist, and President of the Board of Governors of the Canadian Conference of the Arts (1988-90). Siren also served as a member of the Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT) External review Committee from 1985-87.

Siren was the recipient of numerous awards throughout his career including the Association of Cultural Executives (ACE) award in 1990, The Canadian Conference of the Arts’ Diplôme D’Honneur in 1992, and appointment as a Member of the Order of Canada in 1987. Siren died in Toronto on May 31, 2009.

NOW Communications

  • 2002.002
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-

NOW Magazine was founded in 1981 by Michael Hollett and Alice Klein. In many ways, NOW was modeled as a Toronto equivalent to New York’s Village Voice; a weekly newsprint publication combining progressive news coverage with extensive and literate coverage of the cultural events occurring in the city. However, one essential difference between NOW and its predecessors was that NOW was completely supported by ad revenue and thus available for free. While this was a new concept in 1981, the majority of North American cities now have at least one such publication.
Over the course of its history, NOW’s arts writers have provided in-depth coverage of the film, theatre, music, dance, poetry and visual arts scenes in Toronto. The emphasis in this coverage has been on independent and alternative artists whose work gets little or no exposure in the mainstream press. NOW’s news coverage has also been influential, providing a voice for a variety of communities that were traditionally marginalized elsewhere (including LGBT people, sex workers, labour organizers, environmental activists and so on).

In the course of its coverage of politics and the arts, NOW has published original photography by nationally and internationally renowned names such as Larry Towell, David Hlynsky, Paul Till and Chris Nichols. The magazine has also printed original art by people such as Margaret Hathaway, Buzz Burza, Thach Bui and Kris Patterson.

Trelevean, Cameron

  • 2003.001
  • Person
  • [19-]-

In 1993, Toronto-based band The Cowboy Junkies released the album Pale Sun, Crescent Moon. The lead single was a cover of Dinosaur Jr.’s “The Post”, and the video began production in November of that year. The band commissioned Bev Wotton of Streetlight Productions Ltd, who in turn recruited John Fawcett, Peter Wellington and Thom Best to direct, edit and shoot the video. The trio later went on to feature films (The Boys Club, Ginger Snaps, Joe’s So Mean to Josephine).

Cameron Treleaven, a bookseller based in Calgary, acquired the material described here in the late 1990s when the storage facility in which it was being kept auctioned it off. Treleaven donated the material to the Media Commons Archives in 2003.

Hirsh, Michael

  • 2003.004, 2008.014
  • Person
  • 1948 -

Michael Hirsh was born in Belgium in 1948. He arrived in Toronto at the age of three, and a decade later the family relocated once more to New York City. While a student at the Bronx School of Science, Hirsh became interested in filmmaking and spent much of his time back in Toronto at York University, working with various partners on a number of live action and animated films. One of those partners was Patrick Loubert.

After graduating, Loubert and Hirsh worked briefly for Cineplast, creating animated sequences for Sesame Street. In 1971, they founded their own company, Laff Arts, which became Nelvana one year later with the arrival of English animator Clive Smith. Nelvana’s earliest years were spent producing short ‘filler’ films (2-4 minute films that could be used to complete an hour of programming when a feature or series film was short) for CBC in addition to whatever contract work they could find. In 1977, the fledgling company produced A Cosmic Christmas; this caught the attention of George Lucas, who hired them to produce a ten-minute animated segment for a Star Wars television special. He subsequently hired Nelvana to co-produce (with his own Lucasfilm Ltd.) two ABC-TV series, Ewoks and Droids. Gradually, the partners at Nelvana evolved into their roles: Loubert became a key administrative figure and co-CEO; Smith became the director of Nelvana’s most important films, and Hirsh asserted himself as Nelvana’s co-CEO and major spokesman for the organization. Nelvana’s period of artistic success ground to a sudden halt when the heavy metal-influenced feature Rock & Rule became a financial debacle; though the film has gone on to achieve cult status, Nelvana could have folded as a result of the film’s failure.

Hirsh persuaded the owners of The Care Bears franchise to have his studio produce their feature film and television series, and The Care Bears effectively saved the company. Nelvana went on to produce some of the most popular children’s series of the 1980s and 1990s, including My Pet Monster, The Adventures of Tintin, Rupert the Bear, Pippi Longstocking, Babar, Franklin, as well as the live action T & T (starring Mr. T.).

Nelvana now has hundreds of employees all over the world, and the company’s backcatalogue includes over 1400 productions. It also now produces both 2D and 3D animation, and its productions are seen in 180 countries. Nelvana was sold to Corus Entertainment in September 2000, and Hirsh resigned his position as CEO in October 2002. Since that time, Hirsh has served as CEO of Cookie Jar Entertainment; he also serves as CEO of the company’s education division, which includes Carson-Dellosa Publishing and HighReach Learning.

Michael Hirsh is the coauthor of The Great Canadian Comics. He lives in Toronto.

S&S Productions

  • 2005.002
  • Corporate body
  • 1980-

S & S Productions was founded by husband-and-wife comedy team Steve and Morag Smith in 1980. The company was founded just as Canada’s broadcasting industry was experiencing unprecedented growth; the new cable market was just developing, and smaller companies like S & S were able to feed the demand for new content with cost-efficient and viewer-friendly programming.

The duo first achieved success with the series Smith & Smith, and subsequent series included The Comedy Mill and Me & Max. However, S & S has achieved its greatest success with The Red Green Show. Originally aired by CHCH-TV in Hamilton in March of 1990, the comedy enjoyed a fifteen year run on television. The series also aired in the United States, Australia, India and Israel. With Red Green’s success, S & S kept diversifying and expanding: more comedy like An American in Canada and History Bites as well as lifestyle programs like Balance Television for Living Well, The Gardener’s Journal and Anything I Can Do. In 2002, the company produced their first feature film, Duct Tape Forever.

Over the course of its 30 year history, S & S Productions has won three Gemini Awards and been nominated for several more. The company has also received nominations for two Rose D’Or awards, and was a finalist in the New York Festival’s International Competition for Television Film and Video Communication.

Alert Music

  • 2005.006
  • Corporate body
  • 1984-2006

Alert Music was founded in 1984 by Toronto’s W. Tom Berry and Montreal’s Marc Durand. From 1975-1983, Berry had been managing director at Anthem Records whose roster included Rush, Max Webster and Bob and Doug Mackenzie. Durand was the manager and producer of the Montreal rock band Men Without Hats. Alert’s mission was to create a unique label that could bridge the “two solitudes” of Canada, hopefully turning regional hits into national ones; the Toronto office would sign English language artists that the Montreal office would attempt to promote in French Canada, and vice versa. The Montreal office immediately signed The Box, while the Toronto office signed Kim Mitchell (who had recently begun a solo career).

In the late 1980s, Berry decided that his interest in rock music was waning and he and Durand agreed to go their separate ways. Berry kept the name Alert and all the English language artists currently signed to the label, while Durand kept The Box and the company’s Montreal office. Sometime after, Berry discovered jazz singer Holly Cole performing with pianist Aaron David and bass player David Piltch. He signed the trio and immediately set out to create a distinctive image and style for Cole. Her album Girl Talk caught the attention of jazz label Blue Note Records, and they released Cole’s next five albums in the American market. The majority of Alert’s efforts since the mid1990s have revolved around recording and marketing Cole. The label also continues to record and market other Canadian jazz, blues and roots-oriented music including Roxanne Potvin, Michael Kaeshammer and Cole’s accompanists, Piltch and Davis.

Primedia Productions

  • 2006.010
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-1994

In 1981, producer/director W. Patterson Ferns and writer Richard Nielsen formed Primedia Productions Ltd. Their previous company, Nielsen-Ferns Ltd., had been created in 1972 when the two left their posts at CBC in order to focus on independent productions. In early 1985 Nielsen left Primedia to pursue his writing career and Pat Ferns took over the company.

In the years prior to Primedia’s founding, Ferns initiated several co-production arrangements with international partners; although an unusual practice in the 1970s, such co-productions have become a mainstay of the contemporary Canadian television industry. Ferns was instrumental in the creation of an independent production department within the CBC and for acceptance of independent production by private broadcasters. His arguments in front of the CRTC and other representations have been credited with sowing the seeds from which the Broadcast Fund of Telefilm Canada was born. As a result of these efforts, he has been referred to as “the father of independent production” in Canada.

Following his departure from Primedia, Neilsen founded Norflicks Productions Ltd. He has been granted a Michener Award, a Chetwynd Award and four Gemini Awards for his work. By the time Primedia folded in 1992, it had produced approximately 100 programs that had been seen around the world. Primedia’s programming falls into four general categories: performing arts programs, original TV drama, celebrity-hosted travelogues, and science programming.

In 1994, Primedia was sold to Douglas Dales, president of Production Services Ltd., one of Canada’s largest motion picture equipment rental companies.

Stedman, Sam

  • 2007.002
  • Person
  • [19-]-

Dr. Sam Stedman received a Ph.D. from the University of Toronto’s Graduate Drama Centre in 2007. Since then, Dr. Stedman has worked as a sessional lecturer affiliated with the Department of English and Drama at the University of Toronto Mississauga, while also maintaining an active presence in the local theatrical community as both an actor and director. Dr. Stedman acquired this collection of tapes directly from the artistic director of the DNA Theatre Hillar Liitoja and donated the tapes to the University of Toronto Media Commons Archives in 2007.

Hillar Liitoja earned a Bachelor of Music in Performance from the University of Toronto in 1977 and upon graduating, worked as a concert pianist for five years. In 1982, Liitoja founded the DNA Theatre where he has served as the artistic director throughout the history of the company. As a playwright, Liitoja was awarded the Chalmers Award in 1994 and a jury prize for innovation in theatrical writing at the Festival de Theatre des Ameriques in 1987.

The DNA Theatre company is a Toronto based avant-garde theatre company known for producing difficult and often disturbing works that challenge both the audience and conventional notions related to theatrical production. The artistic mandate of the company is to “create performances that are deeply affecting, to create environmental theatre, to create unique experiences of theatre, and to create new theatrical languages.” The Sam Stedman Fonds contains a collection of videotaped recordings of DNA Theatre productions including Sick – A Chamber of Horrors, and Phalanx. Productions mounted by The DNA Theatre company throughout its operating history include: On My Knees, Glimpse, I Of The Beholder, ember, The Large Glass, The Celebration, Phalanx Walk, Phalanx, Paula and Karl, 3 Prong Attack, Falling To Pieces, Remnants, A Bartok Story, Artaud and his Doubles, Pendulum, Jata Mu Hing Rahule, This is What Happenned in Rakvere, The Last Supper Assessments, Ultimate Night, Sick– A Chamber of Horrors, Mottetult, Reede Ohtu, The Deputation, Something For Sky, Something For Ed, Give Us This Day Our Daily Pound, Silence for John Cage, The Last Pound, My Plants Came Alive and we Fell in Love, Pain(T), Pound for Pound, Pound II (Pound!), Quarter-Pound, Half-Pound, and Triptych.

True North Records

  • 2007.004
  • Corporate body
  • 1969-2006

True North Records, founded by Bernie Finkelstein, is Canada’s longest-running independent record label.

Finkelstein, the son of an Air Force warrant officer, was born in Toronto in 1944. He became involved in the Yorkville music scene in 1963, taking odd jobs and eventually dropping out of high school. While working in a club called El Patio, he met a young band called the Paupers and soon became their manager (often conducting business from a payphone on Yorkville Avenue). Finkelstein found further success managing the band Kensington Market between 1967 and 1969. After a brief period spent living on a farm in Eastern Ontario, Finkelstein returned to Toronto and founded True North Records.

Finkelstein met singer-songwriter Bruce Cockburn at a Ryerson University coffeehouse in 1969, and the two established an association that lasts to this day. Cockburn has released 29 albums on True North, including such hits as ‘Wondering Where the Lions Are’, and ‘If I Had a Rocket Launcher’. Other important Canadian singer-songwriters who have recorded for True North include Murray McLaughlan, Luke Gibson, Stephen Fearing and Colin Linden. In 1979, True North ventured into the world of post-punk alternative rock, releasing albums by Carol Pope and Rough Trade. Subsequent rock artists signed to the label have included the Rheostatics, 5440, the Cowboy Junkies, the Golden Dogs, Zubot and Dawson, Lynn Miles, Hunter Valentine and Blackie and the Rodeo Kings. Artists on the True North label have won more than 40 Juno awards and put out approximately the same number of gold or platinum records.

In 1995, True North expanded its operations and released recordings by non-Canadian artists and distributing several international record labels (including U.K.based Cooking Vinyl and U.S.based Fuel 2000, Signature Sounds and Sci-fidelity). In 2007, True North was taken over by Mississauga-based Linus Entertainment; Finkelstein remains the chair and advisor while also managing a number of bands. He is also the chair of VideoFACT, the government-financed organization that funds videos for Canadian music artists.

Bernie Finkelstein has been inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and named to the Order of Canada. He lives in Toronto.

Shaftesbury Films Inc.

  • 2007.008
  • Corporate body
  • 1987-

Shaftesbury Films was founded by Canadian Film Centre alumnus Christina Jennings 1987. The initial goal was to produce feature films with strong Canadian content and identity; their first feature, Camilla, was produced in 1992 and followed by Swann and Painted Angels. In 1996, Jennings recruited Jonathan Barker, a former IMAX Corp. executive. Due to the scarcity of funding for feature filmmaking in Canada, Shaftesbury quickly moved into television, producing their first ‘movie of the week’ (External Affairs, based on Timothy Findlay’s The Stillborn Lover) in 1998. After establishing their commitment to adapting prestigious Canadian literary works by such authors as Margaret Atwood, Carol Shields, and Mordecai Richler, Shaftesbury expanded to produce a broad range of television programming for children and adults. In 1998, Shaftesbury established a large format division (SK Films) in partnership with IMAX founder Robert Kerr. The company distributed Bugs!, Journey to Mecca, and Gold Fever, among other films. Also in 1998, Jennings and Barker further diversified their company by launching a feature-film distribution arm in partnership with Oasis Pictures. In 2008, Barker left Shaftesbury Films; he and Kerr now have sole control of SK Films.

Shaftesbury has accumulated a host of awards over its twenty-three year history, including Geminis, International Emmys, Canadian Screenwriting Awards and Directors Guild of Canada Awards. Jennings was awarded the Crystal Award for Oustanding Achievement by the Women in Film and Television organization in 2006.

Radke Film Group

  • 2007.010
  • Corporate body
  • 1992-

The Radke Film Group was formed in Toronto in 1992 by Richard Radke (in partnership with the company Partners’ Film Company). Radke, who was raised in New York City, had come to Canada in the early 1980s and began his advertising career in 1988. The company was intended to be a director-driven enterprise with sales agents generating contracts to produce commercials for various clients. Radke enlisted several directors to his firm, which his company then represented to various clients. In addition to representing Canadian directors, the Radke Film Group also served as a sales representative for a number of the major American production companies for business in Canada.

Following Radke’s sudden death at the age of 40 in 1994, then General Manager Edie Weiss took over the company. In 1998, Partners’ sold its 30% share to Weiss and she became the company’s full owner (she continues to serve as President). In 2003, the company opened an office in Vancouver.

The Radke Film Group also encompasses a number of affiliates:
· Steam Films was launched in 2001 to enable Radke to represent a larger number of directors; in 2003, they too opened a Vancouver office. Steam also provides crew and production for American shoots.
· Soft Citizen, a dedicated music video production company, was founded in 2003 with the intention of producing videos for both Canadian and international artists. To date, the company has produced videos for such artists as Badly Drawn Boy, Broken Social Scene, Cut Copy, and Death Cab for Cutie.
· The Vapor Music Group is a full service music house based in Toronto. The company specializes in original music, sound design, film/television branding, long format licensing, radio and voice direction. Vapor is managed for former Jungle Music head Roger Harris; clients include Nissan, Purolator, AGF, Gatorade, Nike and Toyota.

Radke directors have won every major international advertising award, including Cannes Lions, Clios, AICP’s (Association of Independent Commercial Producers), Bessies and more. Amongst the best known directors are Mike Bigelow, Antoine Fugua, Zak Snyder, Martin Shewchuk and Eric Lynne; a number of these people have also worked on feature films.

Switzer, Jacob

  • 2008.010
  • Person
  • [ca. 1956]-

Jacob (Jay) Switzer was born in Calgary (ca. 1956) and raised in Lethbridge, AB and Estevan, SK. The family moved to Toronto when Switzer was in his teens. His father, Israel, was an engineer and his mother Phyllis was a journalist. In 1972, Phyllis Switzer (along with Moses Znaimer and two other partners) launched City-TV, a station that Israel Switzer had conceived as a modest UHF service designed to exploit CRTC regulations that all local broadcasters be carried by cable systems.

Jay Switzer’s first real job, at age 16, was on the switchboard at CityTV. He worked as a Media Research Analyst for The Financial Post from 1979-1981, and then, having completed his education (B.Comm from the University of Toronto, MBA from the University of Western Ontario), he returned to CityTV in 1983 as a junior program manager. Since CHUM Ltd. (the company that had bought City-TV in 1978) could not afford to compete with the networks for costly American programs, Switzer instead focused on movies and reruns of youth-oriented shows like Star Trek. In 1984, Switzer co-wrote the license application that would bring MuchMusic to air, and over the following years he was instrumental in City-TV’s expansion into other markets and innovative new services. He also presided over the exportation of such City-TV made programs as FashionTelevision and MovieTelevision to markets around the globe (CHUM was among the first Canadian broadcasters to sell its homemade programs internationally, and to license formats to partners). Throughout the 1990s, Switzer developed more specialty services such as MuchMoreMusic, Star!, Bravo!, and CablePulse24. In 1995, he was named Vice President of Programming for CHUM Television, and in 2002 he became the company’s President and CEO. CHUM was acquired by CTV-Globemedia in 2006 (with the five CityTV stations going to Rogers
Communications for regulatory reasons), and Switzer left the company in 2007.

Jay Switzer currently works as an independent Media Management Consultant. He lives in Toronto with his wife, actress Ellen Dubin.

Hare, F. Kenneth (Frederick Kenneth)

  • 2016
  • Person
  • 1919-2002

Frederick Kenneth Hare was a climatologist, academic and the tenth Provost of Trinity College. Hare was born on 5 February, 1919, in Wylye, England, to Frederick Eli Hare and Irene Smith. Hare was educated at Windsor Grammar School, King’s College at the University of London (BSc 1939), and the University of Montreal where he received his PhD in geography in 1950.

Hare taught at the University of Manchester from 1940 to 1941 before serving as an operational meteorologist in the Air Ministry from 1941 to 1945. In 1945 he was appointed to teach at McGill University and later became the chairman of the Geography Department (1950-1962) and the Dean of Arts and Science (1962-64). He returned to London where he was Professor of Geography at King's College, University of London (1964-66) and Master of Birkbeck College (1966-68). He was President of the University of British Columbia from 1968 to 1969 before becoming a professor of geography and physics at the University of Toronto from 1969 to 1979 as well as Director of the Institute for Environmental Studies from 1974 to 1979. He became Provost of Trinity College in 1979 and remained in that position until 1986. He also served as Chairman of the Canadian Climate Program Planning Board (1979-90), Co-Chair of the National Academy of Science (U.S.A.)/Royal Society of Canada Study of Acid Precipitation (1980-82), Chair of the Peer Review of the Canadian government's Long-Range Transport of Airborne Pollutants (LRTAP) Program at the Royal Society of Canada (1983-84), head of a study of the nuclear winter phenomenon, RSC (1984), on the Commission on Lead in the Canadian Environment, RSC, Commissioner of the Ontario Nuclear Safety Review (1987-88), Chancellor of Trent University (1988-95), Chair of the Canadian Global Change Program Board, RSC (1989), member of the Board of Directors of the Canadian Institute for Research in Atmospheric Chemistry (1990-93), Chair of the Advisory Board of the Institute of International Programs, University of Toronto (1990-94), member of the Advisory Panel on Research and Development of Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (1991-95), and Chair of the Technical Advisory Panel on Nuclear Safety, Ontario Hydro (1991-94).

Hare was the author of The Restless Atmosphere (1953), On University Freedom (1967), and the co-author of Climate Canada (1974) as well as many articles in scientific journals on climatic, meteorological, and geographic issues. Hare was an Honorary Fellow of Trinity College (1991), a Companion of the Order of Canada (1987), and Companion of the Order of Ontario (1989).

Hare married Suzanne Bates on 23 August, 1941; together they had one son, Christopher John (b. 23 November 1941). They divorced in 1952 and Hare married Helen Morrill on 26 December 1953. They had two children, Elissa Beatrice (b. 13 November 1955), and Robin Gilbert (b. 26 May 1958). Hare died on 3 September 2002 at his home in Oakville, Ontario.

Mudge, Marguerite Joyce

  • 2092
  • Person
  • 1906-2003

Marguerite Joyce Jeffrey Finlay Mudge was born on 18 April 1906, likely in Niagara Falls, Ontario, to Francis Jeffrey Finlay and Elizabeth Forsyth. Mudge attended Stamford High School before entering Trinity College where she obtained a BA in 1928. After graduation, she worked at the University of Toronto, British Overseas Children, the office of Judge Edra Ferguson, Canadian Executive Services Overseas, and the Royal Canadian Institute.

Marguerite Joyce Jeffrey Finlay married Gordon Meade Mudge on 3 July 1937. Gordon Mudge was born on 1 January 1906 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to Arthur Langley Mudge and Kathleen Sophia Meade. Gordon Mudge entered Trinity College in 1924 and graduated with a BA in 1927. Gordon Mudge served as secretary-treasurer of the Royal Conservatory from 1956 until his death.

Joyce and Gordon Mudge had 3 children: Jeffrey, Graham, and Ramsey. Gordon Meade Mudge died on 8 June 1963 in Montreal and M. Joyce Mudge died on 18 October 2003 in Toronto.

Zend, Robert

  • CAN
  • Person
  • 1925 - 1985

Hungarian-Canadian poet and radio producer Robert Zend was born in Budapest, Hungary in 1929. Zend majored in Hungarian and classical literature and received a Bachelor of Arts from Péter Pázmány Science University in 1953. Zend immigrated to Canada in 1956 and commenced working for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in1958. During his time at the CBC, Zend held a number of increasingly important positions including Film Librarian (1958-1966), film editor (1966-1969), and writer and radio producer for the CBC-Radio Arts and specifically for the program “Ideas” (1969-1977).
Throughout his career, Zend continued to pursue his academic and literary interests, receiving a Masters of Arts in Italian and Comparative literature from the University of Toronto in 1969 and writing, translating and publishing several works of poetry and prose. Works published by Zend include From Zero to One, My Friend Jeronimo, Arbormundi, Beyond Labels, Oāb I, The Three Roberts Premiere Performance, The Three Roberts On Love, and The Three Roberts On Childhood. Works written by Zend but unpublished include: Madouce, How Do You Doodle, Nicolette, and Key to the Cube. Works translated by Zend include: Gilgamesh, The Tragedy of Man, and Pattern Without End. Zend received numerous Ontario Arts Council Awards to help support his creative activities during the period between 1975 and 1985.
Zend died in Toronto on June 27, 1985.

Office of the Dean of St. Hilda's College

  • F1008
  • Corporate body
  • 1888-2004

St. Hilda’s College was created in 1888 by Provost C.W.E. Body to enable the education of women, in tandem with the male students at Trinity College. A Council was formed in 1888 and a Charter, dated 11 February 1890, contains the declaration of incorporation. St. Hilda's College was originally incorporated under the provisions of Chapter 172 of the Revised Statues of Ontario 1887, and subsequently in 1956 was continued by "Letters Patent Continuing St. Hilda's College”. Provost Body appointed Ellen Pattesen, later Mrs. Oswald Rigby as first Principal Miss Patteson and two students moved into a house on Euclid Avenue. In 1889 the College moved to two houses on Shaw Street, to two larger houses on the same street in 1892, and a third adjoining house was added in 1895. In 1899 the cornerstone for a new building was laid on the grounds of Trinity College, designed by Eden Smith. Miss Mabel Cartwright succeeded Mrs. Rigby in 1903. By 1908 the student population had outgrown the new building, and St. Hilda’s expanded into the Provost’s lodge across the driveway, with Miss Mary Elizabeth Strachan presiding over the students in residence there. Some students also lived with Professor and Mrs. Duckworth in their Crawford Street house.

For the first few years, students at St. Hilda’s were lectured separately, but by 1894 all lectures at Trinity were open to women. After the First World War the Principal of St. Hilda’s became a permanent member of the Trinity teaching staff. In 1915, the Principal of St. Hilda’s received the additional title of Dean of Women, giving her jurisdiction over the non-resident students, who increased in number after federation with the University of Toronto.

The move to Queen’s Park in 1925 resulted in the purchase of first one, later three houses on St. George Street. Finally, in 1938, St. Hildians moved into their present home, a Georgian residence on Devonshire Place. Miss Cartwright retired in 1936 and was succeeded by Dr. Mossie Mae Kirkwood. Subsequent Deans were Miss Katherine M. Darroch (1953-1963), Miss Melinda H. Seaman (1963-1978), Dr. Elizabeth M. Rowlinson, (1978-1991) and Dr. Elizabeth Abbott (1991-2004).

In 2004 Trinity became co-ed and the office of the Dean of Women/Dean of St. Hilda’s College ceased to exist. Kelly Castle was named the first Dean of Students, Trinity College.

Trinity College, Faculty of Music

  • F1016
  • Corporate body
  • 1851-1904

The University of Trinity College was founded in Toronto in 1851, receiving its royal charter in 1852. It had degree-granting rights in arts, divinity, medicine, and law. Although no Faculty of Music had been formed, on 28 April 1853 Trinity appointed George William Strathy to be professor of music. On 1 June 1853, he was granted a Bachelor of Music (B.Mus.) and in 1858 a Doctor of Music (D.Mus.). Strathy was listed in the College’s calendar throughout the 1860s and early 1870s. However, he seems to have given only occasional lectures until the 1878-79 academic sessions when he formed a class in music theory.

In the April 1881 edition of the student magazine Rouge et Noir, students complained about the neglected state of music education at the College. Later that year there was an application from a candidate for examination in music. That same year Trinity formally created a Faculty of Music; however, its mandate was only to administer examinations.

Candidates for the B.Mus. degree had to provide evidence of five years of musical study, to compose “a song or anthem in four parts, and perform the same publicly,” and to pass an examination in Theory. The doctorate required evidence of eight years of study along with the composition and performance of a part song or anthem in six or eight parts with orchestral accompaniment.

Requirements were changed in 1883 so that B.Mus. candidates had to pass three annual examinations, in harmony, counterpoint, history of music, form in composition, and instrumentation, and to compose an exercise in at least four parts with accompaniment. No arts subjects were required. Three years after obtaining a B.Mus. a student could achieve a D.Mus. Women were allowed to take the B.Mus. examination and received a certificate of passing, but were not granted degrees until 1885. Emma Stanton Mellish, later a theory teacher at the Toronto Conservatory of Music, and Helen Emma Gregory (MacGill), later a judge, were the first female graduates of Trinity. Each received a B.Mus. in 1886.

In 1885 England's Musical Standard, with information gleaned from a United States journal, published Trinity's curriculum and examination papers. Practising musicians, deterred from pursuing music degrees in British universities which had arts prerequisites, requested that Trinity hold music examinations in England. Since Trinity's charter allowed it 'all such and like privileges as are enjoyed by the Universities of our United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland,' Trinity felt entitled legally to decide in favour of simultaneous London and Toronto examinations. In the same year it rejected an application for affiliation from London's Trinity College, a music school. It appointed a former Trinity professor of mathematics,
Edward K. Kendall, to serve as acting registrar in England and subsequently named as examiners for England and Canada Edward John Hopkins, William Henry Longhurst, and Edwin Matthew Lott, all prominent English church organists on whom Trinity conferred honorary doctorates in 1886. The program began after stiffening its matriculation requirements to meet British standards. Students had to produce certificates of character, 'satisfactory evidence of attainments' in general education, and certificates showing five years of musical study and practice.

In 1889 the College's Faculty of Music became affiliated with the Toronto Conservatory of Music. This affiliation exempted conservatory students from having to take some of the faculty’s examinations. In 1890 the Faculty of Music also held examinations in New York. By the end of that year the Faculty had granted 5 honorary and 9 in-course doctorates as well as 1 honorary and 86 in-course bachelor degrees, the majority to British candidates.

The intrusion of a Canadian university into Britain occasioned the publication of increasingly numerous complaints in British music journals. In 1890, 35 prominent musicians submitted to Lord Knutsford, the colonial secretary, "memorials" condemning Trinity's practice of granting in absentia degrees in England and stating that Trinity was lowering standards by not requiring literary examinations. As well, these musicians felt that Trinity had overstepped its powers and that its activities could open the door to bogus degrees. In addition to the memorials, music journals and newspapers took up the cause against the Trinity degrees. Trinity College's provost, C.W.E. Body, hurried to England but failed to counter the criticism and as of 1 February 1891 the University of Trinity College decided to discontinue the examinations in London and New York.

In 1900 Trinity established a board of musical studies to oversee the affairs of the faculty and to name examiners. However, when Trinity became a federated college of the University of Toronto in 1904, its Faculty of Music came to an end after having granted 161 B.Mus. degrees (including 1 honorary) and 34 D.Mus. degrees (including 6 honorary). Affiliation with the Toronto Conservatory of Music was also terminated at this time.

Trinity Medical College

  • F1018
  • Corporate body
  • 1871-1903

From 1871-1903, Trinity Medical College thrived as a proprietary medical school associated with Trinity College prior to Trinity’s amalgamation with the University of Toronto in 1904.

Trinity Medical College can trace its beginnings to the Medical Faculty at Trinity College, which existed from 1850 to 1856. Despite the apparent success of this early Medical Faculty, all six founding members resigned in 1856, most likely due to tensions around the strict requirement that all Trinity students be members of the United Church of England and Ireland (the Anglican church).

Re-establishment of a medical school at Trinity was considered by committees of the Trinity Corporation in 1863, 1866, and 1867 but nothing came of these efforts. In 1869-70, further discussions resulted in the provisional appointment of four of the founding members of the former Medical Faculty as a Board of Medical Examiners for Trinity College (Dr. James Bovell, Dr. Norman Bethune, Dr. William Hallowell, and Dr. Edward M. Hodder). In addition, the statute necessitating declaration as a member of the Anglican church was amended in such a way that the requirement still stood but in practice students did not have to make the declaration, effectively allowing non-Anglican students to register at Trinity.

In 1871, the four examiners were appointed as the first professors of the reconstituted Trinity Medical Faculty, and Dr. W.B. Geikie, eventually Dean of the Medical College, was appointed as one of two new examiners. By the end of 1871, a new building was erected on a site close to the Toronto General Hospital and several professors had been added to the faculty. Over the next several years, under the diligent administration of Dr. Geikie, the Trinity faculty developed a strong reputation as a provider of quality medical education and training.

In 1877, influenced by the alleged actions of the rival Toronto School of Medicine to effectively block Trinity students from competing for University of Toronto honours and prizes, the Trinity Medical Faculty, with Trinity College consent, applied for and obtained from the Ontario Legislature an Act of Incorporation as an independent teaching body called Trinity Medical School. Incorporation gave to Trinity Medical School the power to affiliate with any university granting medical degrees, thus allowing their students to take examinations at any degree-granting University they chose. In practice, however, most Trinity medical students continued to take their exams at Trinity. However, both the newly-independent Trinity Medical School and Trinity College continued to view the medical school as the medical faculty of the college.

By 1879 a new wing was built onto the Trinity Medical School facilities, but there was a growing view on the part of the provincial government that competing proprietary medical schools could no longer provide satisfactory medical education that increasingly required additional teaching facilities and newer, more complicated and costly equipment. The political shift toward one strong publicly-financed medical teaching faculty in Toronto was exemplified in 1887 when the Minister of Education invited Trinity Medical School and the Toronto School of Medicine to come together as the Medical Faculty of the University of Toronto. The Toronto School of Medicine accepted the offer, but Trinity Medical School refused.

Perhaps in support of their medical school’s view that independent medical education could continue to provide everything required, the Trinity Corporation provided some of their limited funds for improving teaching facilities and purchasing equipment and upgraded the medical school faculty to college status in 1888: Trinity Medical School became Trinity Medical College.

Throughout the 1890s the movement toward federation with the University of Toronto grew stronger. By 1900, faced with mounting deficits and falling registration, it was clear that Trinity would work towards federation with the University of Toronto. Dr. W.B. Geikie, now Dean of the Medical College, and the Corporation of Trinity Medical College, remained strongly opposed to federation and the amalgamation of their Medical College with University of Toronto’s Medical Faculty. In 1902, ongoing discussions between the Corporation of Trinity Medical College and a committee of the Trinity Corporation resulted in an agreement to reinstate the Medical College as the Medical Faculty of Trinity University and provide funds for a proposed new building.

However, the continued existence of an independent Trinity University and its medical school was not to be. In April 1903, the Medical College surrendered its Charter to Trinity University to be held in trust, which enabled the Trinity Corporation to act for the Medical College in amalgamation discussions. In July 1903 the Trinity Corporation formally constituted the Corporation of Trinity Medical College as the Medical Faculty of Trinity University. At the same time the Trinity Corporation stated that should federation with the University of Toronto occur, the Medical Faculty of Trinity University should amalgamate with the Medical Faculty at the University of Toronto.

Although the final agreement on federation did not occur until October 1904, the medical faculties were amalgamated in 1903. In June of that year the resignations of all Trinity Medical College staff were received. The faculty members, with the exception of Dean Geikie, became members of the Faculty of the University of Toronto and the amalgamated faculties met for the first time in October 1903.

Source:
Spragge, George W. “Trinity Medical College” Ontario Historical Society: Ontario History Vol. LVIII, Number 2, June 1966. Additional administrative history information found in Amalgamation files in Series 1.

Trinity College Senate

  • F1021
  • Corporate body
  • 1995-

The Trinity College Senate was established in 1995 when revisions were made to the statutes that abolished the existing committee structure and put in place a bicameral system of governance by creating a Board of Trustees to manage and control the property, business, and affairs of the College and a Senate to establish the academic policy of the College. This change came into effect after a recommendation by the Steering Committee to improve College governance and administrative structures. In the fall of 1993 a working group was formed to rewrite the College’s statutes and certain regulations, a document which was then submitted for approval to Corporation on 4 May 1995 where it was unanimously approved.

The Senate consists of fellows of the College, members of Corporation, members of Convocation, Divinity Associates, a member of the St Hilda’s College Board of Trustees, divinity and non-divinity students, the Provost, the College Librarian, the Executive Secretary of Convocation, the Registrar, the Chaplain, the Dean of Arts, the Dean of Divinity, the Bursar, the Dean of Students and one don to be selected by agreement at the first meeting of each academic year of the Deans and the Dons.

The Senate took over the function of the College Council and is responsible for determining the academic policy of the College, including the establishment, alteration, or elimination of academic programmes, determining the requirements for degrees of Trinity College, recommending the appointment of associates and fellows, and determining standards for the admission of students. The Senate, together with the Board of Trustees, is also responsible for appointing committees and working groups to develop proposals for matters of shared interest and can appoint subcommittees and delegate powers to them.

Pickford, Edgar W.

  • F2001
  • Person
  • 1866-1926

Edgar William Pickford, Anglican clergyman, was born in 1866. He entered Trinity College, Toronto, in 1889 and completed the divinity course. Pickford was ordained deacon in 1892 and priest in 1893 and became rector at Brighton, Ontario. In 1910 he obtained a BA from Trinity College. He died in June 1926.

Bleasdell, William

  • F2002
  • Person
  • 1817-1889

William Bleasdell, Anglican clergyman, was born in England in 1817, the son of James Bleasdell and Mary Hodson. He graduated from Trinity College, Dublin (BA 1845, MA 1848). He was ordained deacon in 1845 and priest in 1846. He came to Canada in June 1848 and became rector of St George’s Church in Trenton, Upper Canada. In 1862 he became examining chaplain of the Diocese of Ontario and in 1874 senior canon of St George’s Cathedral in Kingston. As well as several religious and historical publications, Bleasdell was deeply interested in various sciences (particularly geology), and in 1862 he wrote the earliest know study of the largest glacial erratic in Ontario (the Bleasdell Boulder near Glen Miller). In 1876 the University of Trinity College, Toronto, awarded him an honorary doctorate of civil law. He and his wife Agnes had eleven children, three of whom died in infancy. He died at Trenton in 1889.

Ashley, Charles Allan

  • F2003
  • Person
  • 1894-1974

Charles Allan Ashley, educator, soldier, and accountant, was born on 21 December 1894 in Willenhall, England, and died on 10 July 1974 at Innsbruck, Austria. He was the son of Samuel Joseph Ashley, a schoolmaster, and Elizabeth Cumming Ashley. He began school in Birmingham and in 1912 articled as a chartered accountant. In 1914 he enlisted in the 2nd Birmingham City Battalion of the Warwickshire Regiment and then transferred to the Royal Engineers, Special Company 189, in July 1915. He saw action at Bethune, Philosophe, Vimy Ridge, and the 3rd Battle of Ypres. He became acting company commander, was mentioned in dispatches, and was wounded. After the war he attended the University of Birmingham, obtaining a B.Comm. in 1921, and he was admitted as a chartered accountant in 1922.

He was assistant professor of commerce at Queen‟s University, Kingston, Ontario, for one year and an accountant in Paris, France, before accepting a post at Shanghai in 1924. He returned to Birmingham in 1927, and in 1930 he became assistant professor of commerce at the University of Toronto; he retired in 1962 as professor of commerce and chairman of the Department of Political Economy. Ashley resided in Trinity College, where he participated actively in its affairs and served as an adviser to students for forty-three years until his death in 1974.

Macdonald, Robert Elgie

  • F2004
  • Person
  • [1869-1897]

Robert Elgie Macdonald, physician, was born about 1869 in Stratford, Ontario, and died in 1897 and is buried in Stratford. He entered Trinity Medical College, Toronto, in 1889. After graduating in 1893 he received his licence and began to practise in Stratford. He died of tuberculosis at the age of twenty-eight.

White, Mary Estelle

  • F2005
  • Person
  • 1908-1977

Mary Estelle White, professor of classics at Trinity College, was born in 1908 in Campbellford, Ontario. She studied at Queen‟s University, Kingston, Ontario, and St Hugh‟s College, Oxford, where she obtained an MA. After teaching at McMaster University from 1937 to 1940 she was appointed lecturer in classics at Trinity College, Toronto. She was promoted to associate professor in 1945 and became Worrell Professor in 1963. She was the first woman to hold a departmental headship at the College when she was appointed the Head of the Department of Classics in 1965. She was acting head in 1971-72. She held the position of head of the Graduate Department of Classical Studies at the University of Toronto from 1966 to 1971. She became a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1972. From 1946 to 1964 she was editor of Phoenix, and she was the author of numerous studies in Greek history. Professor White retired from Trinity College in 1974 and died on 7 January 1977.

Grube, Georges Maximilien Antoine

  • F2006
  • Person
  • 1899-1982

Georges Maximilien Antoine Grube, Classicist, Trinity College professor, and active member in the C.C.F. and N.D.P., was born in Antwerp, Belgium, on 3 August 1899, the son of Antoine and Marie Reiners. At the beginning of the Great War in 1914 he immigrated to England where he attended King Edward's High School, Birmingham. He served briefly with the Belgian army towards the end of the war and after the cessation of hostilities he acted as an interpreter to British forces in Belgium. He completed his education at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, where he graduated with a B.A. in classics in 1922 and a M.A. in 1925. It is perhaps by this time that he started generally using the name George Maximilian Antony Grube. He became a naturalized British subject on 25 January 1924, and on 7 August he married in London Gwenyth Deen Macintosh, a fellow graduate in classics at Cambridge.

After four years as a lecturer at the University College of Swansea, Wales, George Grube came to Toronto in 1928 to take the position of Professor of Classics at Trinity College. He acted as head of the Depart¬ment of Classics at Trinity College from 1932 to 1965 and as head of the Graduate Department of Classics at the University of Toronto from 1951 to 1966. He retired from Trinity College in 1968, but was re-appointed as a special lecturer during 1968-69 and became emeritus professor of classics in 1969.

As a classical scholar, G.M.A. Grube is best known as author of <i>Plato's Thought </i>(1935), <i>The Drama of Euripedes </i>(1941), <i>A Greek Critic: Demetrius on Style </i>(1961), and <i>The Greek and Roman Critics </i>(1965), and as translator of Plato's <i>The Republic </i>(1974), a work that continues to be widely used. He also published over 30 articles in various scholarly journals. He was also involved in public affairs; a founding members of the League for Social Reconstruction, he served as president of the Toronto branch in 1934-35, and he was managing editor of the <i>Canadian Forum</i> from 1937 to 1941. His interest in both cultural and political affairs found further scope in writing political pamphlets and in making frequent contributions to the <i>Canadian Forum</i> and the <i>New Commonwealth</i>. He was also a member of the Toronto Labour Council and of the Civil Liberties Association of Toronto.

Grube became a member of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.) in 1934; he was elected as the first Ontario vice-president and served as president in the 1940s, was a member of the C.C.F. National Council, and president of the C.C.F. in Ontario. He was elected to serve as trustee for Ward 1 to the Toronto Board of Education in 1942 and 1943. He was the C.C.F. candidate in the riding of Toronto Broadview in the general elections of 1940, 1945, and 1950, but was not successful. In 1961 he was co-chairman of the founding convention of the N.D.P. He wrote numerous articles and pamphlets on the C.C.F. and the N.D.P.

Grube was elected a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1951. His book, <i>The Greek and Roman Critics</i>, was winner of the American Philological Association's Award of Merit in 1965. After his retirement he was honoured with a festschrift, "Studies Presented to G.M.A. Grube on the Occasion of His Seventieth Birthday," published in <i>Phoenix</i> in Spring 1969. In 1973 he was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Victoria and in 1977 was awarded the Canada Coronation Medal. G.M.A. Grube died in Toronto on 13 December 1982.

Grube, Gwenyth Deen Macintosh

  • F2006
  • Person
  • 1900-1987

Gwenyth Deen Macintosh Grube, Classicist, teacher, and active member in the C.C.F. and N.D.P., was born 24 September 1900 in London, England. In 1919 she entered Girton College, University of Cambridge, where she gained Part I of the Classical Tripos in 1921 and Part II in 1922 and received an M.A. degree in Classics. She continued her studies in 1922, doing post-graduate work at Bryn Mawr in Pennsylvania. Gwenyth Macintosh met George Grube at Cambridge, and after their marriage in 1924 she taught Latin and Greek at Bedales, a co-educational boarding school in Hampshire. She came to Canada in 1928 when her husband was appointed a professor at Trinity College. Gwenyth Grube returned to England for the period 1932 to 1934 with her two children in order to teach at Dartington Hall, a progressive school in Totnes, Devon.

A supporter of the Labour Party in England since her college days, Gwenyth Grube joined the C.C.F. in 1934. In the 1950s she was a member of the Ontario C.C.F. Provincial Executive. She ran unsuccessfully in 1945 for election as trustee of the Toronto Board of Education in Ward I, a post her husband had held previously. She was the C.C.F. candidate for the riding of Eglinton in the federal election of 1957. She was always particularly interested in educational and welfare issues and a number of her articles were published in various journals. After her children were adults, she was a part-time teacher at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto in the 1950s. Along with Agnes Macphail she was an active member of the Board of the Elizabeth Fry Society. Gwenyth Grube died in Toronto on 24 March 1987.

George and Gwenyth Grube had three children: Antonia (Toni) Joan (m. Swalgren), born in England in 1927, John Deen (1930-2008), born in Toronto and Jennifer Julia (m. Podlecki), born in Toronto in 1935.

Cayley, Edward C.

  • F2007
  • Person
  • 1864-1921

Edward Cartwright Cayley, educator and Anglican clergyman, was born on 13 February 1864 in Whitby, Upper Canada, and died on 11 April 1921. He attended Trinity College, Toronto, where he was Wellington scholar, Burnside scholar, and Bishop Strachan scholar. He obtained a B.A. in 1885, was awarded an M.A. in 1889 and a D.D. in 1914. E.C. Cayley was professor of divinity at Trinity College from 1892 to 1900, when he was appointed rector of St. Simon’s Church in Toronto. He continued as special lecturer in apologetics at Trinity College. He married Georgina Alice Broughall in 1895.

Patterson, Graeme H.

  • F2008
  • Person
  • 1934-1993

Graeme Hazlewood Patterson, educator, was born in 1934 in Paris, Ontario, and died in Toronto in 1993. He received his early education in Paris and at Ridley College in St Catharines, Ontario. A graduate of Trinity College he earned his BA in 1957, MA in 1959, and PhD in 1970, all from the University of Toronto.

Between 1957 and 1963 he worked as an immigration officer in Quebec and taught in Prescott and Brantford. He became Cummings Fellow at Trinity College, University of Toronto, and senior fellow in 1972. He remained at Trinity until his death in 1993 at the age of 58. Patterson was a professor of history at the University of Toronto whose special interests included Upper Canada, Pre-Confederation Canada, and the history of Native Canadians.

He wrote numerous entries for the <i>Dictionary of Canadian Biography</i> and in 1990 he published <i>History and Communications: Harold Innis, Marshall McLuhan, the Interpretation of History</i>. He also wrote numerous essays and book reviews. At the time of his death he was working on his new book, “A Political History of Upper Canada”.

Trinity College Dramatic Society

  • F2012
  • Corporate body
  • 1892-

A Trinity College Dramatic Club was formed in 1892 at the University of Trinity College (Toronto, Ontario), apparently under the auspices of Lally McCarthy (a Trinity College graduate of the same year). The Dramatic Club produced plays in Toronto and toured Guelph, Woodstock, Brantford, and Hamilton in 1894, ultimately bankrupting itself later that year.

The Trinity College Dramatic Society (TCDS) is known to have existed as early as 1919, with annual productions beginning in 1921. Little is currently known about dramatic activities at the University of Trinity College during the years between the insolvency of the Dramatic Club in 1894 and the emergence of the TCDS, but a few records exist – and are described within this collection – testifying to the existence of dramatic activities, however casual, during those years.

In 1921 the operation of the Hart House Theatre at the University of Toronto was transferred from The Player’s Club to the Board of Syndics. Trinity College had federated with the University of Toronto seven years earlier and sought to obtain the Hart House Theatre, under its new management, as the venue for its annual productions. Since the opening of the George Ignatieff Theatre (GIT) in 1979, it has formed the main venue for the TCDS’ productions. However, plays have also been held in Cartwright Hall (at Saint Hilda’s College), the quadrangle, Seeley Hall, and the chapel.

Over the years, the TCDS’ activities have increased. At first, one play was produced per year. Later, two or three additional short or student-authored plays were also produced per year. Nowadays several major productions are mounted every school year, as well as special events such as an orientation (or frosh) week play and “Shakespeare in the Quad.” The TCDS arranges the College’s contributions to various intra- or inter-university drama festivals and organizes events such as play readings, workshops, screenings, revues, and parties. Every year, the TCDS celebrates students’ involvement in dramatic endeavours with the “Iggies” (short for “Ignatieff”), an award ceremony in the style of the Academy Awards, where students are presented with “Iggy Awards.”

All students of Trinity College are automatically members of the TCDS and events are mainly student-run. An elected executive handles the administration of the TCDS.

Trinity College Encounter Club

  • F2012
  • Corporate body
  • 1962-1967

The Trinity College Encounter Club was established in 1962 and was active until at least January 1967, the date of the last entry in the financial records. The aims of the Club do not appear to be recorded in any of the surviving materials, but would seem to represent an effort to open discussion on national and international issues by bringing in speakers and holding conferences. The Club established a journal, The Encounter, in December 1964 - at least three issues were published.

Rachel Grover

  • F2014
  • Person
  • 1922-2015

Rachel K. Elmhurst was born in Birdsall, Ontario, in 1922, daughter of Gilbert J. Elmhurst. She was educated at Norwood High School and Trinity College, University of Toronto, and graduated in 1943 with a BA in English language and literature. She obtained her Bachelor of Library Science from the University of Toronto in 1963. She worked at the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library, University of Toronto, until her retirement.

In 1942 she married John Carleton Grover who predeceased her in 1993. They had one daughter, Charlotte Isabel Grover, who died 1 October 2003 at the age of 50, and one son, Tom. Rachel Grover died in Peterborough on 28 April 2015.

Wilson, Milton T.

  • F2017
  • Person
  • 1923-2013

Milton Thomas Wilson, a scholar of Romantic poetry and an editor of Canadian Forum, was born in Toronto in 1923 to Mr and Mrs G. S. Wilson. He attended St Andrew‟s College in Aurora, Ontario. In 1940, Wilson began studying English at Trinity College in the University of Toronto, but he interrupted his education in 1943 to serve in the Canadian navy during the Second World War. He returned to Toronto to obtain his BA and MA degrees in 1945 and 1946 respectively. He completed a PhD at Columbia University in 1957. After teaching briefly at the University of Syracuse, he was appointed lecturer at Trinity College in 1949. He became full professor in 1966 and professor emeritus in 1988. In 1975, Wilson became the first chair of the University of Toronto Department of English. (The English departments of the colleges at the University of Toronto had previously merged together under the direction of a committee of which Wilson was also chair.) Wilson worked as literary editor (1954-59) and managing editor (1959-68) of Canadian Forum. Among his publications are Shelley's Later Poetry (1959, republished 1974) and E. J. Pratt (1969). He is the editor of Poetry of Mid-Century (1964) and Poets Between the Wars (1967). He is a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.

Wilson married Joanna Crawford, daughter of Mr and Mrs John Knox Crawford, on 6 September 1947.They had six children: Barbara, Katharine, Gregory, Victoria, Timothy, and Antony. Prof. Wilson died in Toronto on 22 March 2013.

Nicholls, David W.

  • F2018
  • Person
  • 1934-1995

David Wight Nicholls, businessman and photographer, was born in 1934 and died on 4 April 1995. He studied at the University of Toronto Schools before coming to Trinity College. He graduated with a B.A. in 1958 and in 1959 he married Hilary Warren. Nicholls worked for Royal, Montreal, and Canada Trust companies in Montreal, Saint John, and Toronto before retiring in 1987 and devoting more time to photography, which had been a long-time interest. He became a member of the Photographic Society of America in 1983, and was active in the National Association of Photographic Art, the Toronto Guild for Colour Photography, and the Toronto Camera Club, which he guided through its centennial year as president. He also served as president of the Greater Toronto Council of Camera Clubs. In 1990 he became a licentiate of the Royal Photographic Society in Great Britain. He participated in a number of group shows in Canada and Great Britain, and had two one-man shows in Canada. He also had work published in "The Photography Yearbook" (1993). He photographed many parts of Trinity College, and at the time of his death had almost completed a series of photographs of St. James Cemetery, taken as part of the celebration of the 150th anniversary of its consecration by Bishop John Strachan. He served on the Corporation of Trinity College and was a member of the Executive Committee of Convocation. Along with Hilary, he was a strong supporter of the Thomas Fisher Library and the Osborne Collection, and he was especially generous with the Friends of the Library, Trinity College, of which he was treasurer for several years.

Simon, Ellen

  • F2019
  • Person
  • 1916-2011

Ellen Simon, stained-glass artist and art therapist, was born in 1916 in Rosedale, Toronto, Ontario. She was educated in Toronto at Jarvis Collegiate Institute, the Ontario College of Art, and in New York at the Art Students League. She also studied at the New School, the Bank Street School Writers Laboratory, the New York Psychiatric Institute and the Art Therapy Training Institute. She began an apprenticeship at Yvonne Williams's stained glass studio in Toronto in 1941 and continued to work there until 1978. Ellen Simon retired in Amesbury, Massachusetts. She died on November 19, 2011.

Ignatieff, George

  • F2020
  • Person
  • 1913-1989

George Ignatieff, diplomat and educator, was born in St. Petersburg, Russia, in 1913 and died on 10 August 1989 in Sherbrooke, Quebec. He was the son of Count Paul Ignatieff and Natalie Ignatieff (née Princess Mestchersky). The family fled to England in 1920 and came to Montreal in 1928. George Ignatieff entered Trinity College, Toronto, in 1932 and graduated with a B.A. in political science and economics in 1936. He was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship and received an M.A. from Oxford in 1938. At Lester B. Pearson's suggestion he wrote the Department of External Affairs examination in 1939, and in that year he began working at Canada House in London. He returned to Canada in 1944 and then went to New York City as a member of the Canadian delegation to the United Nations. He was ambassador to Yugoslavia from 1956 to 1958, assistant undersecretary of state for external affairs from 1960 to 1962, permanent representative to NATO in 1963, and ambassador to the UN from 1966 to 1969. In 1970 he became permanent representative of Canada to the UN at Geneva, a post he left in 1972 to become ninth provost and vice-chancellor of Trinity College for the period up to 1979. From 1980 to 1986 he was chancellor of the University of Toronto. He was the chair of the National Museums of Canada Board from 1973 to 1978, and in the 1980s was active in Science for Peace. He won the Pearson Peace Prize in 1984 and in 1985 the University of Toronto Press published his memoirs, "The Making of a Peacemonger."

George Ignatieff married (Jessie) Alison Grant (1916-1992) in 1944; the couple had two sons, Michael (b.1947) and Andrew (b.1952). George Ignatieff died on 10 August 1989 in Sherbrooke, Quebec.

Strachan, John

  • F2021
  • Person
  • 1778-1867

John Strachan, Anglican clergyman, bishop, and educator, was born on 12 April 1778 at Aberdeen, Scotland, and died on 1 November 1867 in Toronto, Ontario. He attended Aberdeen Grammar School and King's College, Aberdeen, but turned to teaching after his father died in 1794. In the fall of 1796 Strachan returned to Aberdeen and graduated with an A.M. in March 1797. In 1799 Strachan accepted a teaching position in Upper Canada, arriving at Kingston on 31 December.

He began tutoring the children of prominent townspeople, including those of Richard Cartwright. In 1803 Bishop Jacob Mountain ordained Strachan as a deacon, and he became a
priest in 1804. He was given the mission at Cornwall, where he soon began taking students and set up a school. In 1807 he married Ann Wood McGill, the widow of Andrew McGill, a member of a prominent Montreal mercantile family, and they had nine children, James McGill, Elizabeth (died in infancy), George Cartwright, Elizabeth Mary, John, Alexander Wood, two daughters who died in infancy, and Agnes (who died at 16).

In 1811 Strachan received an honorary D.D. from the University of Aberdeen (in 1829 he received an LL.D. from St Andrews University). The same year, he advised James McGill of
Montreal to leave his extensive property to the cause of education; provisions were made that led to the founding of McGill University. Also in 1811, Strachan was offered the rectorship of York (Toronto) and the chaplaincy of the garrison and of the Legislative Council.

Strachan arrived at York in June 1812, just as the United States and Great Britain were going to war, and he played a pivotal role during two successful invasions by U.S. forces, negotiating the terms of capitulation. He was made an honorary member of the Executive Council in 1815 and then served as a regular member from 1817 to 1836 and as a member of the Legislative Council from 1820 to 1841. In 1822 Strachan, who was headmaster of the York Grammar School, became president of the newly established General Board of Education. Interested in establishing a university in Upper Canada, Strachan travelled to England in 1826 and in 1827, when he obtained a royal charter for the University of King's College. Strachan was appointed archdeacon of York in 1827.

In 1839 the Diocese of Quebec was split and Strachan became bishop of the new Diocese of Toronto. After many difficulties King's College was finally opened in 1843. However, the Church of England's influence on the new university had been reduced well in advance of the opening, and in 1842 Strachan, foreseeing future difficulties, had founded the Diocesan Theological Institution at Cobourg for the training of clergy. In 1848 he resigned as president of King's College, which was secularized and brought under government control the following year, becoming the University of Toronto on 1 January 1850. Strachan then set about to found an Anglican university and after another trip to England to raise funds and obtain a charter, the cornerstone of the University of Trinity College was laid on 30 April 1851. Classes began in January 1852. Strachan accepted the election of a coadjutor bishop in 1866. He died the following year.

Trinity College Literary Institute

  • F2025
  • Corporate body
  • 1854-

The Trinity College Literary Institute was founded in 1854 with the amalgamation of the Debating Society and The Union. The student debating society of the Diocesan Theological Institute at Cobourg started sometime between 1842 and 1849. The first extant minutes from 20 April 1849 refer to the "yearly proceedings" being closed. This statement implies that it had existed at least since the Fall of 1848. The "Cobourg Star" dated 5 April 1848 reports the founding of a debating society in the town the previous evening. However, it is not mentioned as being associated with the Theological Institution. There is also some reason to believe that the Society was founded early in 1846, when the Diocesan Theological Institute was reorganized and expanded. By the summer of 1849, the Society had eighteen members and was holding weekly debates. A room was set aside for it at Cobourg, heated in winter by a wood stove. A student Union was formed shortly after the opening of Trinity College on Queen Street (1852) in Toronto.

The Trinity College Literary Institute is one of the student governments of Trinity College and has constitutional authority over specific traditional events held at the College by the students, most notably the regular debates. According to the constitution, "[t]he objects of the Institute shall be the fostering of cultural activities and the encouragement of public speaking."

According to the revised and amended "Constitution of the Trinity College Literary Institute" of 1974, all graduates and undergraduates of Trinity College are Active Members of the Trinity College Literary Institute, popularly known as The Lit. Honorary Members consist of Former Members of the Institute, the Provost, Professors, Lecturers and Fellows of Trinity College and anyone elected as such by a vote of two-thirds of the Members present at an Ordinary meeting. Life Members consist of former members of Trinity College who have paid a requisite fee.

The Lit enables several legislated committees or curatorial positions (some now obsolete), namely: The Opposition Committee, The Debates Committee, The Constitution Committee, The St. Hilda's Open House Committee, The Conversazione Committee, The Junior Common Room Curator, The Magazine Committee, The Rigby Room Curator, The TCLI Dinner Committee, The Art Committee, and The Music Committee. The Lit also awards the Trinity College Literary Pendants, the 4T5 Debating Trophy, the Literary Institute Trophy, and the
Ashley Awards.

The permanent officers are the Honorary President, the Speaker, the Deputy Speaker, and the Treasurer. The Lit is governed by a Council consisting of a Prime Minister, Government House Leader, Clerk of the House, Keeper of the Mace, and two Councillors who are First Year students.

[Sources: "Constitution of the Trinity College Literary Institute" revised and amended 1974;
"The Reminiscences of Arthur Jarvis"; "A History of Trinity College Toronto 1852-1952"]

Beatrice Mary Scott

  • F2028
  • Person
  • 1899-1978

Beatrice Mary Scott Turner, educator and volunteer, was born about 1899 in Millbrook, Ontario. She was the daughter of Henry Allen Turner Jr (died 1951), a graduate of Trinity Medical College, and Alice Jane Scott. Turner received her early education in Millbrook and entered Trinity College in 1915. After graduating with a BA in 1919 she lived in Hamilton and taught at Kingsthorpe, a private girls‟ school. She then returned to Millbrook to care for her mother and while there took an active interest in the community, especially her church and the local branch of the Red Cross. She eventually settled in Toronto and was active in the St Hilda‟s College Alumnae Association and was Year Group Convenor for the years prior to 1922. She kept the Alumnae well informed of College activities either personally or by correspondence as well as keeping Convocation up to date with news of alumnae. In 1975 she was elected to the Corporation of Trinity College. She was involved in the Altar Guild and the Women‟s Auxiliary at the Church of St Alban the Martyr and worked closely with St Andrew‟s Japanese Congregation. She was made a life member of the Women‟s Auxiliary of the Diocese of Toronto and was an active member of the Diocesan Chancel Guild. At the time of her death she was a member of Christ Church, Deer Park. She died at Toronto on 12 August 1978.

Turner, Beatrice M.

  • F2028
  • Person
  • 1899-1978

Beatrice Mary Scott Turner, educator and volunteer, was born about 1899 in Millbrook, Ontario. She was the daughter of Henry Allen Turner Jr (died 1951), a graduate of Trinity Medical College, and Alice Jane Scott. Turner received her early education in Millbrook and entered Trinity College in 1915. After graduating with a BA in 1919 she lived in Hamilton and taught at Kingsthorpe, a private girls’ school. She then returned to Millbrook to care for her mother and while there took an active interest in the community, especially her church and the local branch of the Red Cross. She eventually settled in Toronto and was active in the St Hilda’s College Alumnae Association and was Year Group Convenor for the years prior to 1922. She kept the Alumnae well informed of College activities either personally or by correspondence as well as keeping Convocation up to date with news of alumnae. In 1975 she was elected to the Corporation of Trinity College. She was involved in the Altar Guild and the Women’s Auxiliary at the Church of St Alban the Martyr and worked closely with St Andrew’s Japanese Congregation. She was made a life member of the Women’s Auxiliary of the Diocese of Toronto and was an active member of the Diocesan Chancel Guild. At the time of her death she was a member of Christ Church, Deer Park. She died at Toronto on 12 August 1978.

Walters, J. Allan

  • F2029
  • Person
  • 1906-1986

James Allan Walters, BA, MD, DPM (London, Eng.), FRCP (C), was born in Napanee, Ontario, on 21 July 1906, the son of Charles Augustus Walters and Stella Grace Wagar. He received his early schooling there and went to Queen’s University 1925-26 before attending Trinity College where he obtained his BA in 1930. He received an MD from the University of Toronto in 1933 and was on staff at the Ontario Hospital in Whitby in 1934. The ten years after graduation were spent in postgraduate training in neurology and psychiatry in Canada and England. He served as a major during the Second World War and in early 1943 he was appointed to #1 Canadian Neurological and Psychiatric Hospital in Basingstoke, England, and in 1944 to Northwest Europe.

In 1945 Walters returned to the University of Toronto as attending physician on the Neuropsychiatric Service at the Toronto General Hospital and later to the Psychiatric Division of the Wellesley Hospital. His chief interests were in Parkinson’s Disease and the new concept of psychogenic regional pain which he first described in 1959 and which became the major focus of his later work. Throughout these scientific studies, and for over thirty years of consulting practice, he was known for his sense of humour, kindness, and great understanding.

During his lifetime, Walters received a number of honours including Honorary Fellow at Trinity College in 1978, the Ontario Medical Association Glenn Sawyer Award in 1979, the Queen Elizabeth Silver Jubilee Medal in 1977, and an Academy of Medicine (Toronto) Honorary Life Membership award in 1975.

Walters was an active member of the Trinity College Friends of the Library, the Corporation of Trinity College and the year 3T0. In the 1950s he established the Kathleen and
Allan Walters Bursary Fund which, over the years, has provided scholarships and bursaries to many students in the Faculty of Arts.

In June 1936 Walters married Kathleen Jane Wark who died 12 December 1977. In 1980 he married Anne Hewitt Thompson (née Amys). He died on 26 February 1986 after a brief illness.

Mortimer, Charles White

  • F2030
  • Person
  • 1852-1920

Three generations of Mortimers were graduates of Trinity College and went on to have distinguished careers in law in Los Angeles, California, and later in Toronto.

Charles White Mortimer became a lawyer in California in 1883 and was made British vice-consul at Los Angeles the same year. He was born in Adelaide, [Middlesex County] Ontario, on 20 April 1852, son of the Reverend Arthur Mortimer and Mary Frances White. He was educated at Upper Canada College and the University of Toronto’s Trinity College (BA 1875, MA 1887). He married Annie Marie Griffin and they had two sons, Charles Gordon (1890-1916) and Arthur Beresford (1889-1956), who both served in the First World War. He died in 1920.

Charles Gordon Mortimer, barrister-at-law and soldier, was born in 1890 in Los Angeles, California, and died on 21 October 1916 in action at Malta. He was educated at Trinity College School in Port Hope, Ontario and later at the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario. After completing his law studies at Osgoode Hall Law School, he was called to the bar on 22 May 1914. His plan to practice law in British Columbia was interrupted when war was declared. He became a lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery and is commemorated at the Pieta Military Cemetery, Malta.

Arthur Beresford Mortimer, lawyer and soldier, was born on 13 May 1889 in Los Angeles, but spent most of his life in Toronto. He attended Trinity College School, Port Hope, Ontario, and Trinity College, obtaining a BA in 1911. He was at Oriel College, Oxford, from 1911 to 1913 and returned to Canada to attend Osgoode Hall Law School. He served in the First World War from 1915 to 1919 as a captain in the Canadian Artillery. On 28 December 1916 he married Flora MacIvor, and they had five children: Phoebe, Elizabeth, Charles Stewart, Grania, and Maureen. He was called to the bar of Ontario in 1919 and was created a King's Counsel in 1945. He practiced with Ross & Holmstead and Manning, Mortimer & Kennedy. He died in 1956.

Charles Stewart MacIvor Mortimer, lawyer, Anglican clergyman, and soldier, was born ca.1925. He saw service during the Second World War and then attended Trinity College, Toronto, obtaining his BA in 1948. He returned to Trinity College, to study in the Faculty of Divinity in the early 1990s and obtained a BD. He died on 18 September 2008 in Toronto.

Mortimer, Arthur Beresford

  • F2030
  • Person
  • 1889-1956

Arthur Beresford Mortimer, lawyer and soldier, was born on 13 May 1889 in Los Angeles but spent most of his life in Toronto. He attended Trinity College School, Port Hope, Ontario, and Trinity College, obtaining a BA in 1911. He was at Oriel College, Oxford, from 1911 to 1913 and returned to Canada to attend Osgoode Hall Law School. He served in the First World War from 1915 to 1919 as a captain in the Canadian Artillery. He was called to the bar of Ontario in 1919 and was created King's Counsel in 1945. He practised with Ross & Holmstead and Manning, Mortimer & Kennedy. On 28 December 1916 he married Flora MacIvor, and they had five children: Phoebe, Elizabeth, Charles Stewart, Grania, and Maureen. He died in 1956.

Mortimer, Charles Gordon

  • F2030
  • Person
  • 1890-1916

Charles Gordon Mortimer, barrister-at-law and soldier, was born in 1890 in Los Angeles and died on 21 October 1916 in action at Malta. He was educated at Trinity College School in Port Hope, Ontario, and later at the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario. After completing his law studies at Osgoode Hall Law School, he was called to the bar on 22 May 1914. His plan to practise law in British Columbia was interrupted when war was declared. He became a lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery and is commemorated at the Pieta Military Cemetery, Malta.

Geikie, Walter Bayne

  • F2033
  • Person
  • 1830-1870

Walter Bayne Geikie, doctor and educator, was born on 8 May 1830 in Edinburgh, Scotland. He was the son of Reverend Archibald Geikie, who brought his family to Canada in 1843. Geikie began to study medicine in 1849 with Dr. John Rolph in Toronto, Ontario, and was licensed by the Medical Board of Upper Canada (Ontario) in July 1851. After spending two years on a full post-graduate course at Jefferson College in Philadelphia, he took his MD and returned to Canada. He practised in Bond Head from 1851 until 1955 when he moved to Aurora in the County of York and set up a large and successful practice. He married Frances Miriam Woodhouse in February 1854. They had six children, two of whom died in infancy. The four who survived were Walter Woodhouse, Archibald James, Annie Laura, and Frances Ethel.

In October 1856, Dr. Rolph, Dean of the Victoria Medical Faculty at Victoria College in Cobourg until his death in 1970, asked Dr. Geikie to join the department as a professor. Geikie accepted and the two doctors made a partnership agreement in 1857. Dr. Geikie lectured on Materia Medica and Therapeutics, and Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children. During these years, Dr. Geikie also taught Anatomy, Descriptive and Surgical, Principles and Practice of Surgery, and Practice of Medicine and Clinical Medicine, the latter at Toronto General Hospital. In 1867 Dr. Geikie returned to Great Britain to do post-graduate work and take the examinations of the Royal College of Physicians of London, and the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.

Just before his death in 1870, Dr. Rolph resigned his position at Victoria Medical Faculty and Dr. Geikie resigned shortly thereafter. He then joined the Medical Faculty of Trinity University. By 1871 Trinity Medical Faculty, which had existed previously from 1850-56, was re-established as a department of Trinity University. Dr. Geikie became Dean in 1878 and continued in that capacity, as well as being on the consulting staff of the Toronto General Hospital and the Hospital for Sick Children, until 1903. That year, after expressing his opposition to the College's amalgamation with the University of Toronto Medical Faculty, Dr. Geikie resigned. His health failed gradually over his final years and he died in Toronto on 12 January 1917. He was buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery.

Sutherland, Robert Gordon

  • F2036
  • Person
  • 1845-1921

Robert Gordon Sutherland was an Anglican clergyman and scholar who received a BA from Trinity College in 1875 and an MA in 1877. Sutherland was born on 27 August 1845 in Aberdeen, Scotland. He was educated at King Edward’s School in Birmingham, England, before entering Trinity College, Cambridge. He arrived in Canada in 1866 and entered Trinity College, Toronto, where he received a BA and an MA.

Sutherland was ordained deacon at St Stephen’s Church, Toronto, in 1870 and priest at All Saints, Whitby, in 1871.

Sutherland was curate of Christ Church and All Saints Church in Hamilton from 1873 to 1876, became rector of St Mark's in Hamilton in 1877, was made a canon of Christ Church Cathedral in Hamilton in 1885, and was a sub-dean of the Diocese of Niagara. He was elected delegate to the Provincial Synod in 1886. He lectured widely on Shakespeare and according to the Trinity University Review, in its April-May 1913 issue, a course of lectures on Shakespeare's heroines he delivered at Trinity College on the Saturdays in Lent had the distinction of being almost, if not quite, the best money-making course that has ever been given.

Sutherland married Jane Bennetts of St. Anstell, Cornwall, England, on 24 November 1869 at Bruce Mines, Ontario.
Robert Gordon Sutherland died on 27 November 1921 in Hamilton, Ontario.

Beare, Francis Wright

  • F2039
  • Person
  • 1902-1986

Francis Wright Beare, educator and clergyman, was born 16 August 1902 in Toronto, Ontario and died in Toronto on 20 May 1986. The son of George and Ellen (Orr) Beare of Belfast, Northern Ireland, Beare was educated at Harbord and Oakwood Collegiate Institutes in Toronto. He received his BA in 1925 from University College, University of Toronto, with the Gold Medal in Classics. He studied at the Universities of Paris and Chicago. From 1931 to 1933 he studied (chiefly papyrology) as a foreign member of the Institute Francais d’Archéologie Orientale in Cairo. He received his PhD from the University of Chicago in 1945.

He studied theology at Knox College, University of Toronto, and was ordained a Presbyterian minister in 1929. From 1929 to 1931 he was Assistant Minister, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church,Toronto. He became an Anglican priest in 1947; from 1955 to 1965 he was Honorary Assistant, Church of the Holy Trinity, Toronto.
In 1946 Professor Beare became Professor of New Testament Studies at Trinity College, a position he held until his retirement in 1968. In 1980 he received his DD (honoris causa) from the College. He published extensively, including monographs on The Epistle to the Philippians (1959), The Earliest Records of Jesus (1962) and The Gospel According to Matthew (1981).

Professor Beare married Marion Gurd in 1932; after her death he married Marianne Pleus in 1973.

Beare, Francis Wright

  • F2039
  • Person
  • 1902-1986

Francis Wright Beare, educator and clergyman, was born 16 August 1902 in Toronto, Ontario and died in Toronto on 20 May 1986. The son of George and Ellen (Orr) Beare of Belfast, Northern Ireland, Beare was educated at Harbord and Oakwood Collegiate Institutes in Toronto. He received his BA in 1925 from University College, University of Toronto, with the Gold Medal in Classics. He studied at the Universities of Paris and Chicago. From 1931 to 1933 he studied (chiefly papyrology) as a foreign member of the Institute Francais d’Archéologie Orientale in Cairo. He received his PhD from the University of Chicago in 1945.

He studied theology at Knox College, University of Toronto, and was ordained a Presbyterian minister in 1929. From 1929 to 1931 he was Assistant Minister, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church,Toronto. He became an Anglican priest in 1947; from 1955 to 1965 he was Honorary Assistant, Church of the Holy Trinity, Toronto.

In 1946 Beare became Professor of New Testament Studies at Trinity College, a position he held until his retirement in 1968. In 1980 he received his DD (honoris causa) from the College. He published extensively, including monographs on The Epistle to the Philippians (1959), The Earliest Records of Jesus (1962) and The Gospel According to Matthew (1981).

Professor Beare married Marion Gurd in 1932; after her death he married Marianne Pleus in 1973.

Results 1 to 50 of 3505