Showing 3521 results

People and organizations

University of Toronto. Department of History of Art/Graduate Department of Art

  • Corporate body
  • 1935-current

Founded in 1935 as the Department of Fine Art. In 1946 the Department merged with Archaeology to become the Department of Art and Archaeology. In 1962, the Department changed its name back to the Department of Fine Art. Around 2006, the Department became known as the Department of History of Art/Graduate Department of Art. It is sometimes referred to as the Department of Art.

Borden, Robert Laird, Sir

  • Person
  • 1854-1937

Sir Robert Laird Borden was a Canadian political leader and prime minister between 1911-1920. He guided Canada through World War I and, through astute bargaining, achieved equal status for Canada with England within the Commonwealth.

French, Barry

  • Person
  • 1931-

Barry French was born on August 22 1931. In October 1955, he graduated with a B.A.Sc from the University of Toronto in Chemical Engineering. A year later, in 1956, he pursued his Masters degree at Graduate School of Thermodynamics at the University of Birmingham on an Athlone Fellowship. During this interim year, he worked as a research engineer for Orenda Engines in Malton Ont. and as a scientist to the Ramjet Section of the National Gas Turbine Establishment in Pyestock, Hants, England. In 1957, he returned to the University of Toronto, Institute of Aerophysics for his doctoral work. His thesis research, supervised by Prof. J.H. de Leeuw, related to plasma diagnostics and was both theoretical and experimental. He was hired as a lecturer in 1961, obtained his Ph.D. in 1962 and quickly rose through the ranks of the Institute of Aerospace Studies (UTIAS) to full professor by 1968. From 1974-1982, he held the position of Associate Director of UTIAS and from 1982-85 was half-time Dean of the School of Graduate Studies. He was also a founding board member of the Innovations Foundation. Prof. French is now Prof. Emeritus and has retained his ongoing connections to the University and specifically to the research done at UTIAS through his position as a scientific advisor of SCIEX (name derived from Scientific Export).

Prof. French has over sixty scientific publications and more than a dozen patents in his name. His early work in the 1960s on gasdynamics led to the establishment of the space simulation laboratories at the UTIAS and, as a result, was jointly involved with Prof. A.O Nier of Minnesota in developing the upper atmospheric mass spectrometer for Project Viking that collected atmospheric data for Mars. This research in miniature mass spectroscopy, vacuum gasdynamics and electronic technology led to several patented inventions relating to analyzing trace components. In 1974, Prof. French along with his associate Bill Breukelman founded SCIEX with the purpose of finding applications and markets based on these patents. For the twenty-five years following the establishment of SCIEX, Prof. French remained a key figure at SCIEX with positions on the Board of Directors and as a Senior Scientific Consultant. Much of his research in the latter part of his career related to further developments of trace analyzers and ionization mass spectroscopy. Today SCIEX, a division of MDS Health Group Ltd., is a world leader in mass spectroscopy instrumentation. It employs over 400 highly trained scientists and engineers and has established awards and research chairs at several Canadian universities. It is seen as the most significant research company to evolve out of the University of Toronto.

Prof. French is a fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineers and the Royal Society of Canada and was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Art and the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute. He continues to advise at SCIEX and is presently working with Bill Breukelman on a new venture relating to geophysical instrumentation for resource exploration. He lives with his wife Gloria in Oakville, Ontario.

McCarthy, Douglas Findlay

  • Person
  • 1907-1997

Douglas Findlay McCarthy was born August 5, 1907 in North Bay, Ontario, the son of George A. McCarthy. When the family moved to Toronto, he attended Malvern Collegiate Institute from 1922-1924. Following graduation he enrolled in the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering at the University of Toronto. He graduated with a Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.Sc) in civil engineering in 1929. During his varsity years, he participated in a number of sports including both junior and senior water polo teams, rowing and rugby. On Dec. 31, 1929 he married Audrey Dale.Like his father, G.A. McCarthy, he worked for many years for the City of Toronto, starting as a sewer engineer in the early 1950’s, gradually moving up the ranks to Director of the Engineering Division of the Department of Public Works, a position he held from 1957 to 1964. In October 1964, the Division was reorganized and Mr. McCarthy requested that he return to his position as Senior Engineer for health reasons. He remained in that position until his retirement in 1976. He died September 19, 1997.

Irving, William Nathaniel

  • Person
  • 1927-1987

William Nathaniel Irving was born in Toronto on November 11, 1927. At the age of 10 his family returned to the United States where he received most of his education. After military service with U.S. forces during World War II, he entered the University of Alaska in 1948 and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Anthropology in 1952. Graduate study was undertaken at Harvard University from 1953-1957 and University of Wisconsin at Madison (1959-1964). His Ph.D. in Anthropology was awarded in 1964 with a thesis on Arctic small tool tradition. “His academic training, a mixture of anthropology and natural sciences, was essential for his subsequent directorship of the Northern Yukon Research Programme…”[1]In 1964 Professor Irving moved his family to Ottawa where he took a position as Head, Western Canada Section, Archaeology Division, National Museum of Man. From 1965 to 1968 he was head of the Northern Canada Section. His interest in the Canadian north continued as he conducted archaeological reconnaissance, survey and excavations at sites in the Yukon from 1965-1968. In 1968 he was appointed Professor of Anthropology at the University of Toronto, a position he held until his death on November 25, 1987.During his career Prof. Irving published extensively on archaeology and anthropology of Alaska, District of Keewatin and Northern Yukon. In 1975 he assumed the directorship of the Northern Yukon Research Programme, based at the University of Toronto. This was a multi-disciplinary programme involving scientists from many different fields. “Under Bill’s direction the Northern Yukon Research Programme focussed not only on the Old Crow Basin but also adjacent portions of the Porcupine River drainage and upland sites such as Bluefish Caves in the surrounding mountains. Most aspects of prehistoric human use of the region were investigated, from caribou fences to Pleistocene archaeology, as well as questions regarding the faunal, climatic, geological and vegetational history of Eastern Beringia”.[2]Prof. Irving was active in many professional organizations including the Canadian Archaeological Association, Council for Canadian Archaeology, American Anthropological Association, Society for American Archaeology, Arctic Institute of North America and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.1. P. Julig and W.Hurley, University of Toronto. “Obituary: William Nathaniel Irving (1927-1987)” Canadian Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 12, 1988.p. 210-2172. Ibid., p. 212

Brabant, Joseph A. (Joseph Anthony)

  • Person
  • 1925-1997

Born in Saskatchewan in 1925, Joseph Brabant moved to Montreal to attend McGill University, where he majored in classics and received a law degree. For forty years, he worked for the Sun Life Canada financial services company, a career that provided for a great deal of travel. He took advantage of his many business trips throughout North
America, Great Britain, Europe, and Asia to search antiquarian book shops for Carrolliana, a passion that began to gain momentum in the late 1960s. The diplomacy, judgment, and diligence that made him an excellent lawyer engendered his success as a collector. In addition to travelling, Brabant received a dozen catalogues each week and spent each morning writing an average of ten letters, establishing a global network of bookselling contacts. Required to relocate to Toronto in 1979, when Sun Life moved its corporate headquarters, Brabant stayed on there after retiring as Sun Life's House Councillor in 1990. In retirement, he was able to dedicate himself fully to his interest in Lewis Carroll, pursuing projects such as his Cheshire Cat edition of Alice in Wonderland, illustrated by George Walker and printed by Bill Poole, in addition to participation in conferences, scholarly
consultation, and, of course, collecting. Brabant's dedication ultimately yielded breathtaking results some ten thousand items that he tracked down individually, repaired, catalogued and shelved. Twenty years after his death, Joe, as he was known to his friends, is still remembered warmly in the Toronto book world for his geniality as well as his determination.

Curran, Andy

  • Person

Andy Curran has been in the Canadian music scene since his beginning with the band Coney Hatch in 1982. Curran was a founding member, playing with Dave Ketchum, Steve Shelski, and Carl Dixon. Together they released three albums: Coney Hatch (1982), Outta Hand (1983), and Friction (1985). After the band broke up in 1985, Curran formed Soho 69 as the lead singer and bassist. Though the band included Michael Borkosky, Simon Brierley, Glenn Milchem, and later Eddie Zeeman, their debut album was titled Andy Curran (1990). They released a second album, Scatterbrain (1993), and in 1998, they released Caramel, under the band’s new name Caramel. He’s played under the names: Drug Plan, Trailer Park, and Leisureworld. Coney Hatch reunited in 2010, and released a new album, Four, in 2013. Curran never left the music world, as he’s composing music for TSN, CTV, and Inside Sports.

Guilfoyles, Norm

  • Person

Norm Guilfoyles was a journalist and fundraising consultant. He is an early alumni of Ryerson’s Radio & Television Arts program, graduating in 1964. From there he began his career in Auckland, New Zealand at a radio station. He traveled a bit after that stint and eventually became a CBC traveling journalist, during the 70s and 80s. He also headed the magazine, Radio Guide. After his career in journalism and writing began to fizzle out, he switched to fundraising, and began to work for Ketchum and other organizations. He continued to be an active philanthropist for Ryerson University and their alumni associations.

Dignan, Alan

  • Person

Alan Dignan was a Victoria University graduate, Class of 1931.


  • Corporate body
  • 1999-

The punk-rock group from Guelph, Ontario, formed in 1999, with members Bryan Webb (vocals, guitar), Steve Lambke (guitar, keyboards, vocals), Doug MacGregor (drums), and Dallas Wehrle (bass guitar, backing vocals). In 2002, the band briefly had Evan Gordon join, playing keyboard, though he was replaced by Will Kidman (keyboards, guitar, percussion, backing vocals) when Gordon went to work on a solo career.

The band began in 1999 after the collapse of Cambridge and London, Ontario bands Captain Co-Pilot and Shoulder. From these bands, Lambke, Wehrle, Webb, and MacGregor came together to form The Constantines. For the first three years the band was based out of Guelph, but eventually moved to Toronto by 2001, after a brief stint in London, Ontario. Their debut album, self-titled Constantines was nominated for a Juno Award for Best alternative Album. The next year they added keyboardist Gordon, then later Kidman. The band has released numerous albums and has been nominated for various awards, including the top rock album of 2008 by the Associated Press and Juno nomination in 2009 for artwork design of the year.


  • The Constantines (Three Gut Records, 2001. Reissued by Sub Pop, 2004)
  • The Modern Sinner Nervous Man EP (Suicide Squeeze Records, 2002)
  • Shine a Light (Three Gut Records/Sub Pop Records, 2003)
  • Nighttime Anytime EP (Sub Pop, 2003)
  • Tournament of Hearts (Three Gut Records/Sub Pop Records, 2005)
  • Kensington Heights (Arts & Crafts, 2008)
  • Too Slow For Love EP (Arts & Crafts, 2009)

Dworkin, Sol

  • Person

Sol Dworkin was born and raised in Winnipeg, MB, to a Russian-Jewish immigrant family. By 1930, his father was forced to relocate the family to Ottawa where Dworkin attended high school. The family spoke Yiddish, and chose to continue to live in a primarily Jewish neighborhood.

Dworkin attended the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph, ON, returning to Ottawa after graduation. He worked for the National Research Council, but his love for photography led him to take a position at the National Film Board in 1943. At NFB, he began working in the stock shot library, finding various footage requested. He also put together news reels that he pieced together from foreign news reels about the war. It was here where he learned about film production and editing. Dworkin became a director the same year when other directors were too busy and NFB wanted an agricultural film. He, with a very small crew, made Farm Front. In 1945, he followed up with Just Weeds.

After World War II, Dworkin moved to the United States and obtained a Master Degree in Education from Indiana University and PhD in Education from Syracuse University. After working as an independent documentary film maker for many years in the US, he eventually moved back to Canada to teach at Sheridan College.

Saltzman, Paul

  • Person
  • 1943-

Paul Saltzman is a filmmaker, photographer, producer, broadcaster, author, and screenwriter. Born in 1943, Saltzman has made a large impact on Canadian film and television from a young age.

After briefly studying engineering science, he became involved in the civil rights movement. Spending time in Washington, DC and Mississippi, Saltzman helped the SNCC with voter registration. He came back to Canada and took a job with CBC in 1965. In this time he held many positions, functioning as a researcher, interviewer, and on-air host. In 1967 Saltzman took a position with the National Film Board, where he was able to interview Buckminster Fuller. 1968 brought great change to Saltzman life. Flying to India to help NFB film the Indian countryside, he fell in love with the country and continued to stay after the shooting was complete.

Needing a personal change in his life, Saltzman approached the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and asked to learn meditation. This experience changed his life, as he not only learnt meditation, but he became friendly with others who were taking the Maharishi’s course (Saltzman was not). Using his personal camera, Saltzman captured intimate photographs of the Beatles, Mia Farrow, Donovan, Mike Love, and others. He began to hang out with Paul, Ringo, John, and George, and saw firsthand as they wrote and perfected many of their famous tunes. Though Saltzman published a few of these intimate photos once he returned to Canada in Maclean’s magazine, the majority remained packed away until 2000 with the publication of his first book The Beatles in Rishikesh.

1968 continued to be an exciting year for Saltzman. Acting as second-unit director and production manager, he helped create Tiger Child, the first IMAX film, premiered at EXPO ’70 in Osaka Japan.

The next decade offered Saltzman many opportunities. With his company Sunrise Films, he produced and directed many acclaimed works including the series Spread Your Wings. In this time he also tried his hand as writer, editor, cinematographer, and sound recordist. In 1984, Saltzman co-created and produced the popular family action-adventure series Danger Bay, which spanned six years, 123 episodes, and was aired by CBC and the Disney Channel.

Saltzman’s first time as a director in a feature-film was in 2008, with the documentary Prom Night in Mississippi. Teaming up with actor and film narrator Morgan Freeman, the film was a success, premiering at 2009 Sundance Film Festival. In 2012, his second documentary feature The Last White Knight premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival. This film revisited Saltzman’s time in the 1960’s when he helped the SNCC and the KKK member who beat him in front of courthouse for volunteering to help register Black voters.

In 2011, Patricia Aquino and Saltzman founded the non-profit Moving Beyond Prejudice. Its mission is “to directly and positively impact the attitudes, beliefs, and prejudices of students, youth-at-risk and adults using films, seminars, websites, and Internet ARGs”.

Saltzman’s skill and career has be recognized through many awards and nominations, from as early as 1974. He is a two-time Emmy award winner, and is currently based out of Toronto.

Bakht, Baidar

  • Person
  • 1940-

Dr. Baider Bahkt is a civil engineer and poetry enthusiast. He has contributed greatly to both fields. In his professional life, he spent over two decades with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, contributing greatly to Canada’s engineering field through multiple publications and research. He has contributed to the Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code and written and edited many books on the engineering of bridges. His contributions to the field of engineering has been recognized through being awarded the Moisseiff Award, of the American Society of Civil Engineers, and the Prately Award, from the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering.
Dr. Bahkt has also greatly contributed to Urdu and Hindu poetry, as well as making it accessible to the Canadian public. His work in translating and editing Urdu and Hindu poetry is well received and has peer reviewed in academic journals. Besides poetry, Dr. Bahkt is an avid collector of Hindustani vocal music. His work in both the field of civil engineering and poetry was recognized in 2014 when appointed a member of the Order of Canada.

Emmanuel College (Toronto, Ont.). Registrar’s Office

  • Corporate body
  • 1928-

The first Registrar of Emmanuel College was John Fletcher McLaughlin who served as Dean from 1928 until his death in 1932. The Reverend Frederick.W. Langford held the position afterwards and was named as Registrar. Following him, the duties of Registrar were carried out by the Dean or faculty members.

After 1955, the position of Registrar was restored and held by:
-Rev. K.H. Cousland (1955)
-Rev. W.O Fennell (1956-1959)
-Rev. C.D. Jay (1960-1966)
-Rev. A.G. Reynolds (1966-1973)
-Rev. G.W. Boyce (1974-1976)
-Rev. S.V. Fawcett (1977-1985)
-Jackie Lautens
-Shirley Wilfong
-Margaret Grisdale
-Wanda Chin (present)

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Alumni Affairs and University Advancement Department

  • Corporate body
  • 1975-

Throughout much of the University's history, matters of alumni and fund raising were managed by the President, Bursar, and Board of Regents. Beginning in 1975, a separate office was created to manage these responsibilities: the Department of External Relations and Development. The name changed to the Alumni Affairs and University Advancement Department in 2002. Another name change occurred in the 2010s and the office became known as the Office of Alumni Affairs and Advancement. A committee of the Board of Regents continues to monitor and encourage matters relating to alumni and advancement.

Leslie, Charles Whitney

  • Person
  • 1905–1986

Charles Whitney Leslie was a graduate of Emmanuel College (Class of 1933). He was a member of the Emmanuel College Faculty, 1940–1955, lastly as Professor of Systematic Theology and Philosophy of Religion.

Brockie, Mildred Irene Lloyd

  • Person
  • 1916-2010

Mildred Brockie (née Lloyd) was a student at Victoria University, Class of 1938.

Fleming, Judy Caldecott

  • Person

Judy Caldecott Fleming was a graduate of Victoria College, Class of 1961.

Greenwood, Nellie

  • Person
  • 1864–1958

Nellie Greenwood was the first woman to graduate from Victoria University, receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in 1884.

Taylor, Alfred Livingston

  • Person
  • 1893–1918

Alfred Livingston Taylor was a graduate of Victoria College (Class of 1916) who was killed in battle in France, 1918. He was a friend and classmate of Robert Bremner Cumming, who eventually married Taylor’s sister, Kate.

Mastromatteo, Ernest

  • Person
  • 1923-2016

Ernest Mastromatteo was a Canadian occupational physician born in Toronto, Ontario on December 16, 1923. His work includes research into threshold limit values of hazardous workplace materials including extensive research on health hazards associated with nickel mining and processing. He has also done much research and advocacy on broader issues of occupational health including the physiological effects of exposure to other chemical and mechanical hazards such as dust, fumes, and noise, ethical issues around health surveillance of workers and the human rights of workers as they relate to a safe workplace.

Dr. Mastromatteo graduated from Bloor Collegiate Institute in 1940 and was admitted to the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto in 1942. He graduated with an MD in 1947. Dr. Mastromatteo also received a Diploma in Public Health in 1950, and a Diploma in Industrial Health in 1958, both from the University of Toronto. In 1958 Dr. Mastromatteo earned Certification in Occupational Medicine (FABPM) from the American Board of Preventative Medicine by Examination, and in 1981, he earned Certification in Occupational Medicine (CCBOM) from the Canadian Board of Preventative Medicine by Examination. In 1982, Dr. Mastromatteo became a Member through distinction of Faculty of Occupational Medicine, London.

Following his graduation from the University of Toronto in 1947, Dr. Mastromatteo did his Junior Internship at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto from 1947-1948 and his Senior Internship in Medicine at Ottawa General Hospital. In 1949, he became Medical Director of Virden Local Health Unit in Virden, Manitoba. In 1952, Dr. Mastromatteo joined the Ontario Ministry of Health, where he was appointed director in 1968. Between 1966 and 1974, Dr. Mastromatteo was also a Consultant on Occupational Diseases for the Ontario Workers’ Compensation Board and a Professor at the School of Hygiene at the University of Toronto in addition to his role at the Ministry of Health.

In 1974, Dr. Mastromatteo left his three roles in Canada to work as the Chief of the Occupational Health and Safety Branch of the International Labour Office in Geneva, Switzerland. In 1976, he returned to Canada to begin working as the Director of Occupational Health for INCO Limited, a mining company. From 1976 to 1997, Dr. Mastromatteo also served as an honorary consultant for the Occupational Health Clinic at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto. In 1985, Dr. Mastromatteo left his position at INCO to work as a consultant for the Occupational Health and Safety Branch of the Ontario Workers’ Compensation Board until 1990. Between 1984 and 1994 Dr. Mastromatteo was the Program Director for Organization Resources Counselors Canada Inc. in Toronto. In 1987, Dr. Mastromatteo was appointed Professor Emeritus of Occupational and Environmental Medicine at the University of Toronto. Dr. Mastromatteo never formally retired and continued to do consulting work after leaving ORC Inc.

Dr. Mastromatteo was very active in a number of professional associations throughout his career, most notably the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, where he was president from 1969-1970, and Chair of the TLV (Threshold Limit Value) Committee from 1985-1990. Dr. Mastromatteo was also a member of the Canadian Medical Association, the Ontario Medical Association, where he chaired both the Section on Occupational Health and the Committee on Public Health, and he was a member of the Ontario Thoracic Society where he was President from 1966-1968. Dr. Mastromatteo was also a member of the Ramazzini Medical Society and the International Commission on Occupational Health among others.

Dr. Mastromatteo received many honours and awards throughout his career. In 1979, he won the Canada Safety Council Achievement Award for Occupational Health and Safety in Canada and in 1981, he won the Stokinger Award for Scientific Contributions to Occupational Toxicology in the United States. Dr. Mastromatteo was appointed to the ILO (International Labour Office) Panel on Occupational Carcinogens in 1981. In 1986, Dr. Mastromatteo was given the Yant Award for Scientific Contributions to Industrial Hygiene in the United States and was also elected Member of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine at the Royal College of Physicians in London. In 1987. Dr. Mastromatteo was inducted into the Safety and Health Hall of Fame International and won the Knudsen Award for contributions to occupational medicine in the United States. In 1990, Dr. Mastromatteo was granted lifetime memberships in the Ontario Medical Association, Canadian Medical Association, American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists and the American Industrial Hygiene Association. In 1999, Dr. Mastromatteo received the Lifetime Achievement Award for Occupational Health in Canada.

Dr. Mastromatteo was the author of 45 publications on occupational health, toxicology and environmental health, as well as the author of four book chapters and a member of the editorial committees for two books.

Dr. Mastromatteo died on July 13, 2016.

University of Toronto. Board of Governors

  • Corporate body
  • 1884-1972

The Board of Governors was called the Board of Trustees until 1906. In 1972 the Board of Governors merged with the University of Toronto Senate to become the University of Toronto Governing Council, now known as the Office of the Governing Council.

Royal Conservatory of Music

  • Corporate body
  • 1886-current

Founded in 1886 as the Toronto Conservatory of Music, the Conservatory received royal charter in 1947, becoming the Royal Conservatory of Music. The Conservatory is a music education organization and performance venue in Toronto near the UofT campus. The Conservatory became affiliated with the UofT in 1952, a relationship that lasted until 1991, when it once again became an independent institution.

University of Toronto. Department of Economics

  • Corporate body
  • 1982-current

The Department of Economics was formed in 1982 when the Department of Political Economy split to become two departments: the Department of Political Science and the Department of Economics.

Hicks, Bill

  • Person

Student of architecture

University of Toronto. Department of Mathematics

  • Corporate body
  • 1887-current

Established in 1887 when the Chair of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy split to form the Chair of Mathematics and Chair of Physics; cited as the Department of Mathematics from May 1982 onward.

University of Toronto. Department of Surgery

  • Corporate body
  • 1887-current

In August of 1887, the Chair of Clinical Surgery, Chair of Practical Surgery and Chair of Principles of Surgery and Surgical Pathology were established when the Toronto School of Medicine became the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Toronto. All of these chairs were cited collectively at the Department of Surgery beginning in 1881.

University of Toronto. Department of East Asian Studies

  • Corporate body
  • 1964 - current

Originally established in 1948 as the Department of East Asiatic Studies. Name changed to East Asian Studies in 1964, and in 1971 the department was split into the Department of East Asian Studies and the Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies.

University of Toronto. Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering

  • Corporate body
  • 1909 - current

The roots of The Edward S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of Toronto reach as far back as 1909, when it was launched as an offshoot of the Department of Mechanical Engineering. At the time, and in fact until the early 1960s, only two such departments existed in Ontario, the other at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario.

With the return of First World War veterans in the fall of 1919, the department saw enrolment swell from 241 to 819 students. Then, a practical undergraduate curriculum was offered, similar to that of the mechanical colleges in the United States. It was this North American model under which the department was developed, as engineering was not then considered a discipline for academic study in Britain or Western Europe.

By the mid 1920s, the applied science component of the department emerged and the degree of Master of Applied Science was instituted. Graduate study was pursued intermittently, and the first PhD in Electrical Engineering was awarded in 1951.

Early research groups included those based in classical electromagnetic theory, followed by control engineering, dubbed systems disciplines, in the 1950s. Shortly thereafter came communications engineering, and electronic device and circuit engineering. In 1962, the department formed the Institute of Biomedical Electronics, now called the Institute of Biomaterials & Biomedical Engineering, and joined by Photonics. Computer engineering found its place in the department around 1965. Today, it has grown to include over half of the department’s undergraduates, and has a designated degree.

In June 2000, Ted Rogers Jr. made a substantial donation in honour of his father, who was a student of the department from 1919 to 1921. The department is now known as The Edward. S. Rogers Sr. Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering. - from

University of Toronto. Department of Geology

  • Corporate body
  • 1902 - current

Chair of Geology established in 1901 and changed to the Department of Geology in 1902. In 1906 the name was changed to the Department of Geology and Palaeontology. In 1945, the name was changed to the Department of Geology and Mineralogy on the merger of the Departments of Geology and Palaeontology and Mineralogy and Petrography. The department was briefly known as Geological Science, but by the end of 1965, was once again the Department of Geology. The Department has recently changed its name to the Department of Earth Sciences.

University of Toronto. Hart House

  • Corporate body
  • 1919 - current

As an integral part of the University of Toronto’s cultural landscape since 1919, Hart House is a peerless institution in its history of inspiring change, provoking thought and helping to shape artistic, cultural and social tapestry of the university and larger communities.

Hart House was commissioned by the Massey family and gifted to the University of Toronto by the Massey Foundation as a gathering place for students to partake in co-curricular activities. The then 22-year-old Vincent Massey (who would later become Canada’s first native-born Governor General) named the building for his grandfather, Hart, and chose architect Henry Sproatt, one of the last North American masters of the Gothic form, along with engineer Ernest Rolph, to design it. Construction began in 1911, and since its opening on Remembrance Day, 1919, Hart House has remained a crown jewel in the University of Toronto’s architectural, academic and social history. - From

University of Toronto Music Library

  • Corporate body
  • 1921-

In 1918 Toronto College of Music, founded in 1888, amalgamated with the Canadian Academy of Music, and in 1924 the academy was absorbed by the Toronto Conservatory of Music. The Toronto Conservatory of Music then gained the assets of both its rivals, including over one hundred vocal and orchestral scores. The University had taken over the ownership and operation of the conservatory by 1921, and therefore this collection became the foundation of the University of Toronto's music library.

Hugh Hornby Langton's, (University of Toronto's Chief Librarian, 1892-1922), donated a over a dozen scores from his own collection including orchestral works by Beethoven, Schubert, and Mendelssohn in piano duet arrangements from his courting days, which constitutes the University of Toronto's first efforts in collection building for the Music Library. More significantly, he had just returned from a European buying trip for the library, and its results included the addition of a dozen books on music, plus recent scores such as Stravinsky's Chant du rossignol and Sacre du printemps, and of several early tone poems by Richard Strauss.

Currently the library holds over 300,000 books, scores, periodicals and microforms.

The Sniderman Recordings Collection, 180,000 sound recordings, from cylinders to blu-ray.

The Olnick Rare Book Room, 2,500 volumes exemplifying the history of music and of music editing, performance and printing -- from liturgical manuscripts and early printed treatises, to first editions of Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and Gershwin, and early Canadian sheet music and tune books. A significant number of 18th- and 19th-century opera full scores, with particular strength in the French repertoire, complements the large libretto holdings of the Central Library.

Results 2401 to 2450 of 3521