Collection F1029 - Architectural Records Collection

Plan of foundations and basement Ground plan Section on line A.B looking east; section on line C.D looking south East elevation; section on line C.D looking north South elevation West elevation North elevation Plan of proposed subdivision of Trinity College Property, Toronto Plan of Trinity University Grounds Showing Proposed Buildings Landscape Drawing Landscape Drawing Planting Plan of Trinity College Entrance Gates at Original Site of Trinity College Plan of University of Trinity College Grounds Plan of Trinity College Property Being Part of Park lot 22 Survey showing subdivision of property held by Trinity College Plan of Trinity College Property Being Part of Park Lot 22 Plan of Trinity Park - drawing Plan of Trinity Park Basement Plan First Floor Plan Second Floor Plan First Floor Plan, approx. accommodation 20 men Second Floor Plan, approx. accommodation 50 men Plan of North Part of University of Toronto Property Plan of Proposed Trinity College Site Plan of Proposed Trinity College Site Plan of University of Toronto property Plan of University of Toronto property Plan of University of Toronto property Plan of University of Toronto property Preliminary Site Plan for Proposed Trinity College Building Basement plan - north quad Suggested plan of residences - first floor - north quad Floor plan - north quad Floor plan - second floor Floor plan - unmarried professor - north quad Floor plan - first floor - north quad Elevation - north quad - east elevation - provost's garden Elevation - south elevation of north side of north quad Elevation - north side of quadrangle Elevations - east elevation, section through quad looking north, section through quad looking north Elevations - east elevation showing convocation hall, section through quad looking west, elevatio... Elevations Elevations - east elevation of west wing of north quad Elevations - section through quads looking west, section looking east, academic quad, residential... Elevations - west elevation, east elevation, north elevation, section looking east, section throu... Elevation - section through private dining hall, convocation hall, and common room Elevations - academic quad, entrance Elevations - eastern elevation showing convocation hall and Chapel
Results 1 to 50 of 1077 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Architectural Records Collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

CA ON00335 F1029

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1857 - 2008 (Creation)
    Creator
    Trinity College Archives

Physical description area

Physical description

2918 items

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Trinity College was founded in 1850 by Toronto’s first Anglican Bishop, John Strachan, in response to the secularization of King’s College, precursor to the University of Toronto. The new College incorporated the Theological Institution, Cobourg, as the basis of its Faculty of Divinity in 1851. In 1852 the College received its Royal Charter and opened its doors on Queen Street West, now the site of Trinity Bellwood’s Park. In 1904 Trinity College federated with the University of Toronto and in 1924 moved to its present location on Hoskin Avenue. Dr. George W. Spragge, retired Provincial Archivist of Ontario and a Trinity College graduate, was asked by Provost D.R.G. Owen in 1963 to report on "the historical material in the vaults and storage rooms in Trinity College." Dr. Spragge, a noted researcher and writer on the early history of education in Upper Canada, continued as Archivist until 1969. In 2008 the position of Archivist was endowed by Dr. Ruth M. Bell in honour of her first husband, Professor William Rolph (4T0) and his uncle, Dr. Frederick Rolph, a graduate of the Trinity Medical College.

Custodial history

This collection of architectural records has been accumulated from approximately 150 years of building
projects either contemplated or actually constructed by the corporation of the University of Trinity College.
Few records survive from the period when the University was located on Queen Street West. In all
likelihood, they may have been discarded in the move to Hoskin Avenue in 1925. If they survived the
removal process, they may have been discarded during construction of one of the subsequent additions.
Some of the architectural records have been in the archives for many years. More recently, many records
were transferred from various departments and formally accessioned in 1988.
Responsibility for drawings and specifications of completed structures and renovations is presently held by
the office of the building manager. Before the creation of this office, college administrators such as the
provost and bursar were responsible for early planning and design, and signing of building contracts. By
the mid 1950s, it was decided that it was necessary to relieve the senior administrators of some of their
workload by the appointment of a business administrator whose office would discharge the duties of bursar,
secretary of corporation, personnel, and superintendant of buildings. The office responsible for building
maintenance retains complete sets of drawings and specifications in order to carry out its work.

Scope and content

Architectural records are plans, drawings, blueprints, or other graphic or visual documents used in the
design and construction of buildings, landscapes, or other manmade objects. Architectural records are the
result of a lengthy process of gathering and refining data in order to prepare a design and produce final
construction drawings and plans. Using surveys of the construction site, the architect produces rough
sketches and diagrams of the proposed building. Preliminary drawings are then prepared and revised. The
final construction drawings include minute details about size, scale, structural systems, electrical wiring,
plumbing, heating, and air conditioning systems, as well as interior and exterior finishes. The final plans,
prepared by a photochemical process, might be reproduced several times, and might be revised as
construction progresses.
The architectural records in this finding aid are listed chronologically, by series number, name of project,
name of architect/architectural firm, and number of items. They have been arranged chronologically,
according to date of building project. Each project constitutes a records subseries. Each subseries has
been described according to name of building project, name of architect/architectural firm, and date span.
Within each subseries, the records divide themselves into files according to type of drawing, such as
sketches, mechanical plans, or detailed drawings. The architect's original organization and system of
numbering has been maintained. When this information has been unavailable, the records have been
organized by date and subject.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Records have been organized into the following six series:
SERIES /A: University of Trinity College, Queen Street West
SERIES /B: University of Trinity College, Queen's Park (Hoskin Avenue)
SERIES /C: St. Hilda's College
SERIES /D: Gerald Larkin Academic Building (Larkin Building)
SERIES /E: Munk School of Global Affairs (John W. Graham Library)
SERIES /F: Records of related bodies

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

The items held in this collection have been digitized; see notes for each subseries for exceptions. All digitized records are available to researchers upon request, pending other restrictions.

Restrictions on access

All of the architectural drawings in this accession are open to researchers with the exception of records deemed too fragile or in otherwise poor condition. If limits exist on a record, they will be outlined where appropriate

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Accruals are expected on an unscheduled basis.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

architectural-records-collection-2

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2016-07-22

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres