CA OTUFM 04
Archives Collection 04: Faculty of Music
- 1918 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
4 Boxes; 26 cm.
Name of creator
The Faculty of Music was established in 1918. The Senate of the University withdrew its affiliations with various music schools (Toronto College of Music and Royal Hamilton College of Music) and inaugurated a Faculty of Music to teach music and administer examinations. Along with his duties as music director of the Toronto Conservatory, Augustus Stephen Vogt was appointed Dean. “Courses of Instruction” were introduced, the first courses to be taught at the Faculty; which grew to offer courses with a full range of aspects involved with western music, including Jazz performance, ethnomusicology, and music and medicine. in 1959 plans for an electronic music studio were announced, historically the second in a North American university. The Faculty regularly hosts events in one of it's two theatres; MacMillan Theatre consisting of an 815-seat hall, designed for the production of operas and large ensemble concerts and named after former dean, Sir Ernest MacMillan. World-renowned for its excellent acoustics, and Walter Hall which commemorats Arnold Walter, Director of the Faculty from 1952-1968, Walter Hall was designed for chamber concerts and recitals. The house seats 490. The hall also contains a two-manual tracker-action Casavant organ.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Newsletters, monographs, articles, and other various publications dealing with the Faculty of Music.