CA ON00389 F4-13-14083
- [1984? - 1988?] (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
2.2 cm of textual records
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
File consists of a collection of seventeen copied articles, copies of chapters from books and copies of newspaper clippings on a variety of subjects and from a variety of sources. File includes an essay by Kay Evens called “An Anglican reflection on the work of Henri J.M. Nouwen” and handwritten notes in Nouwen's hand on confidence.
These articles include:
- "The Way of Stillness" from Athos: The Holy Mountain by Philip Sherrard (Woodstock, NY: The Overlook Press).
- "An Anglican Reflection on the Work of Henri J.M. Nouwen", an essay by Katherine (Kay) Evans for a course called The Life of Prayer. Essay is from January 1985, and includes a letter from Kay Evans to Nouwen expressing her appreciation that he has agreed to look at her paper.
- "Father Zossima and His Visitors" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (from The Brothers Karamazov).
- Photocopy of page 116 from an unknown play [The Ballad of the Sad Cafe by Carson McCullers, 1951], in which the Narrator speaks about love.
- Folder with title "Selected Homilies" and copies of those homilies with an introduction by the editor, Reverend Charles E. Yost, S.C.J. (published by Rev. Brian McCullough. S.C.J. of Priests of the Sacred Heart, Hales Corners, WI).
- "Recovery: The Lived Experience of Rehabilitation" by Patricia E. Deegan.
- "'Values' Lessons Return to the Classroom: Educators Say Kids Today are 'Rudderless'" by Ellen Graham (Wall Street Journal).
- "Masculine Spirituality" by Richard Rohr (Praying, number 26, September-October 1988).
- "Sollicitudo Rei Socialis" by Pope John Paul II. Encyclical on Social Concerns. In Origins: NC documentary service, volume 17, number 38: March 3, 1988).
- "The Bible Hospital Ward", part of the "Sermons at University/Incarnation" series. This is a copy of a sermon given by Jeff Merkel on February 7, 1988, at University Lutheran Church (Philadelphia, PA).
- "L'Arche: Philosophy and Ideology" by John Sumarah (Mental Retardation, volume 25, number 3: June 1987, pp. 165-169).
- "The Nature of Suffering and the Goals of Medicine" by Eric J. Cassel, M.D. Reprinted with permission from The New England Journal of Medicine, March 18, 1982, on August 26, 1987). Includes a business card for Mary Buzzell, Director of Nursing Services for the Elderly for Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada Hamilton-Wentworth Branch.
- ""My Lord and My God": The Divinity of Jesus in John's Gospel" by Jerome H. Neyrey, Weston School of Theology, SBL 1986 Seminar Papers.
- "Les mathematiques de la confiance" by G. Le Cardinal et J.F. Guyonnet (Pour la Science, Juillet 1984). Includes handwritten notes by Nouwen.
- "The Manger is Empty: A Christmas Story" by Walter Wangerin, Jr. (Christianity Today, December 13, 1985).
- "Looking from the Downside Up: an Interview with Walter Wangerin, Jr." by Rodney Clapp (Christianity Today, March 1, 1985).
- "An Invocation" and "Ragman" from Ragman and Other Cries of Father by Walter Wangerin, Jr. (San Francisco: Harper & Row Publishers).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
File contains materials in French.
Annotations: "F Articles" ; "file: articles about Henri"
Article number 8 has annotation: "Read Job 1:6-22" and "To: Fr. Bruns. Thought you may be interested! Raymonde"
Article #9 contains annotations.