- [between June 1976 - April 1977] (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
File consists of a bound volume of typed and photocopied handouts, including a syllabus and class list. The bound volume contains a table of contents listing 42 handouts. Most of the handouts are numbered in the upper right hand corner, i.e. "H4", "H24". These handouts include a discussion group list, monastic directories, bibliographies, description of Mercy Centre, and a list of final paper topics. The handouts include a number of typed articles by Nouwen. They are:
- "Case Recording in Pastoral Education"
- "The Minister as Healing Reminder"
- "The Minister as Sustaining Reminder"
- "The Minister as a Guiding Reminder"
-"Ronald" (a case study from the Menninger Clinic)
- "Spirituality and the Family"
- "Marriage as Ministry"
- "Hearing the Call" (unpublished)
The remaining handouts include:
- a prayer by Thomas Merton.
- Nils A. Dahl's "Anamnesis: Memory and Commemoration in Early Christianity".
- excerpt from Chaim Potok's "My Name is Asher Lev".
- excerpts and poem from Bonhoeffer's "Cost of Discipleship".
- selections from Bonhoeffer on community.
- excerpt from Sir Frederick Treves' "The Elephant Man".
- Chapter Six of Louis Dupres "Transcendent Selfhood": "Alienation and Redemption of the Self in Time and Memory."
- Chapter 1 from James Hillman's "Insearch": "Human Encounters and the Inner Connection".
- Jim Antal's "Reflections on Harry Booth and Bonhoeffer".
- excerpts from Igumen Chriton of Valamo's "The Art of Prayer".
- two stories: "When Day Begins" from the Passionists of Union City, New Jersey and "A Tale" from "The Teachings of the Compassionate Buddha".
- a short manual by Thich Nhat Hanh titled "The Miracle of Being Awake".
- a sixteenth century poem from a Norman crucifix.
- Kalistos Ware's "The Power of the Name: The Function of the Jesus Prayer".
- Jan and Bod Aldridge's "Therefore chose life".
- an article from Sojourners titled "Crucible of Community".
- Parker Palmer's "Escape and Estrangement".
- excerpts on Jiddu Krishnamurti.
- David Steindl-Rast's "A Deep Bow"
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Adhesive tape used on some documents.