- [between September 1976 - April 1977] (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
File consists of a bound volume of typed and photocopied handouts for a field-based course called Ministry in Non-Religious Institutions. This is volume II of II, of which handouts 22-45 are included. There are a significant amount of article handouts by Nouwen in this volume, all of which were later published. They are:
- "Spirituality of the Religion Teacher"
- "Compassion: a study inspired by the life and the works of Vincent Van Gogh." This article is dated December 16 - January 3 1975-76 and the location is typed as "Geijsteren Holland".
There is also a series of articles on compassion numbered I - XII. They are: "Compassion with God", "Compassion with Solidarity", "Compassion and the Media", "Compassion and the Community", "Compassion and Displacement", "Compassion and Our Limitations", "Compassion and Social Criticism", "Compassion and Power", "Compassion and Confrontation", "Compassion and the New Mind", "Compassion and Dread" and finally, "Compassion Summary".
The remaining handouts are:
- Lawrence Kohlberg's "A Cognitive-Developmental Approach to Moral Education"
- Kohlberg, Kauffman, Scharf and Hickey's "The just community approach to corrections: a manual" (not listed in table of contents)
- "What are Probation and Parole?" (author unknown)
- excerpts from John Updike's "A Month of Sundays"
- Philip Hart's "Gentle Way as Effective Way"
- excerpts from Sam Keen's "Beginnings without end", Terrence Des Pres' "The Survivor", Tom Wicker's "A Time to Die" and R.G. Smith's "Martin Buber".
- Walter Gaffney's "The Seduction of Anger"
- excerpts from Tillich's "Systematic Theology" and Bonhoeffer's "Letters and Papers from Prison"
- Bruno Bettelheim's "Reflections: The Uses of Enchantment"
This volume also includes a schedule of class topics, an example of a probation agreement for the State of Connecticut and a news clipping on "Qualities sought in clerics".