- 1842-1942 (Production)
Niveau de description
Étendue matérielle et support
8 m of architectural drawings
-313 folders (ca. 320 sheets)
Zone du contexte
Nom du producteur
Horwood and White was a Toronto, Ontario based architectural firm which existed from 1919 to 1969 and designed a variety of buildings across Canada.
The Toronto architectural firm Horwood and White was established in 1919 as the successor to Burke, Horwood and White, following on the death of Edmund Burke in January of that year.
John Charles Batstone Horwood (1864-1938) apprenticed to Langley, Langley and Burke as a student, then spent several years with an architectural office in New York before establishing a partnership with Burke in 1894 as Burke and Horwood. Murray Alexander White (1870-1935) apprenticed with Langley and Burke from 1889 to 1893, then moved to Chicago where he worked with the firm Holabird and Roche. In 1908 he became a full partner in the firm Burke, Horwood and White. White was not highly involved in the architectural drafting of the firm, but was known for his residence designs.
Horwood and White carried on the work of its predecessor firm in department stores, commercial buildings, churches, industrial plants and residences, including Hudson's Bay Company stores in Western Canada; Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian and, later, United Church denominations.
Following the partners' deaths in the 1930's, the firm retained the name Horwood and White and continued under Horwood's son, Eric Compton Horwood (1900-1984), and S. Solomon Van Raalte (1882-1956). Among the works undertaken by the firm following the Second World War were several churches and schools, and a number of large, complex projects for Canadian General Electric, the University of Toronto, and the Children's Aid Society. When Eric Horwood entered retirement after 1969, the firm gradually wound up.
Collection donated to University of Toronto by Horwood and White in 1922; became custody of the Office of Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds and were subsequently transferred to the U of T Library.
Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert
Zone du contenu et de la structure
Portée et contenu
Fonds consists of plans of buildings and properties pertaining to the University of Toronto, including original drawings by Thomas Young of proposed University College buildings described as the Centre Building, East Wing and West Wing (ca 1842-1857); original drawings by Cumberland and Storm of University College (ca 1856-1857); original drawings by David B. Dick, Architect of Moss Hall (ca. 1887), Biological Building (ca 1887) Museum (1889), Students Union Gymnasium (1892), restoration of University College and New Library Building (ca 1890-1892), Chemical Laboratory (1893-1894), Old Wycliffe College Building (n.d.), and other working drawings. Many drawings annotated with date 1922 by J.C. B. Horwood.
Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation
Mode de classement
Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation
Conditions de reproduction
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Notes de langue et graphie
Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques
Instruments de recherche
Instrument de recherche téléversé
Zone des sources complémentaires
Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux
Select plans have been digitized and can be accessed in the University of Toronto Archives Image Bank
Existence et lieu de conservation des copies
Unités de description associées
Zone des notes
Mots-clés - Sujets
Mots-clés - Lieux
Mots-clés - Noms
- Cumberland and Storm (Sujet)
Mots-clés - Genre
Zone du contrôle de la description
Identifiant de la description
Identifiant du service d'archives
Règles et/ou conventions utilisées
Dates de production, de révision, de suppression
- Added to AtoM by E. Sommers, Jul. 2018
- Added link to Image Bank, E. Sommers, Jul. 2022