Collection 1389 - Horwood and White Collection

Identity area

Reference code

UTA 1389


Horwood and White Collection


  • 1842-1942 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

8 m of architectural drawings
-313 folders (ca. 320 sheets)

Context area

Name of creator


Administrative history

Horwood and White was a Toronto, Ontario based architectural firm which existed from 1919 to 1969 and designed a variety of buildings across Canada.

The Toronto architectural firm Horwood and White was established in 1919 as the successor to Burke, Horwood and White, following on the death of Edmund Burke in January of that year.

John Charles Batstone Horwood (1864-1938) apprenticed to Langley, Langley and Burke as a student, then spent several years with an architectural office in New York before establishing a partnership with Burke in 1894 as Burke and Horwood. Murray Alexander White (1870-1935) apprenticed with Langley and Burke from 1889 to 1893, then moved to Chicago where he worked with the firm Holabird and Roche. In 1908 he became a full partner in the firm Burke, Horwood and White. White was not highly involved in the architectural drafting of the firm, but was known for his residence designs.

Horwood and White carried on the work of its predecessor firm in department stores, commercial buildings, churches, industrial plants and residences, including Hudson's Bay Company stores in Western Canada; Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian and, later, United Church denominations.

Following the partners' deaths in the 1930's, the firm retained the name Horwood and White and continued under Horwood's son, Eric Compton Horwood (1900-1984), and S. Solomon Van Raalte (1882-1956). Among the works undertaken by the firm following the Second World War were several churches and schools, and a number of large, complex projects for Canadian General Electric, the University of Toronto, and the Children's Aid Society. When Eric Horwood entered retirement after 1969, the firm gradually wound up.

Archival history

Collection donated to University of Toronto by Horwood and White in 1922; became custody of the Office of Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds and were subsequently transferred to the U of T Library.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Fonds consists of plans of buildings and properties pertaining to the University of Toronto, including original drawings by Thomas Young of proposed University College buildings described as the Centre Building, East Wing and West Wing (ca 1842-1857); original drawings by Cumberland and Storm of University College (ca 1856-1857); original drawings by David B. Dick, Architect of Moss Hall (ca. 1887), Biological Building (ca 1887) Museum (1889), Students Union Gymnasium (1892), restoration of University College and New Library Building (ca 1890-1892), Chemical Laboratory (1893-1894), Old Wycliffe College Building (n.d.), and other working drawings. Many drawings annotated with date 1922 by J.C. B. Horwood.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access


Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Select plans have been digitized and can be accessed in the University of Toronto Archives Image Bank

Existence and location of copies

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)



Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

  • Added to AtoM by E. Sommers, Jul. 2018
  • Added link to Image Bank, E. Sommers, Jul. 2022




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places