Collection 1390 - Horwood Collection

Zone d'identification

Cote

UTA 1390

Titre

Horwood Collection

Date(s)

  • 1853 (Production)

Niveau de description

Collection

Étendue matérielle et support

0.54 m of architectural drawings (9 items)

Zone du contexte

Nom du producteur

(1852-1863)

Histoire administrative

Cumberland and Storm was a Toronto, Ontario-based architectural firm established in 1852; it dissolved in 1863 from evidence of the drawings, but the firm name continued until 1866-1867.

William George Storm (1826-1892) began to work for Frederic William Cumberland (1821-1881) in 1849 as an apprentice in his private offices in both Toronto and Hamilton. Between 1850 and 1852, while Cumberland was in partnership with Thomas G. Ridout Jr., Storm continued to work in the offices as an architect and engineer in preparing working drawings and details before becoming a full partner in 1852 upon Ridout's departure.

The architectural firm of Cumberland and Storm was the most prominent Toronto architectural firm in the nineteenth century with over 69 projects, including large projects such as the centre portion of Osgoode Hall and University College along with other court houses and jails (for Halton, Lincoln, Victoria and York Counties), a magnetic observatory, vice-regal residences in Ottawa and Toronto, legislative buildings, post offices and banks. After Cumberland's departure to pursue engineering and legislative careers, there was a period of transition where the firm name continued until 1866-1867. During this period of transition Storm undertook a number of projects alone and except for a brief period in 1877 where he partnered with Charles Albert Walton he continued the practice on his own until his death in 1892.

Histoire archivistique

Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert

Records were acquired from the Archives of Ontario in 1980. Drawings were part of the AO's Horwood Collection.

Zone du contenu et de la structure

Portée et contenu

Photographic copies of architectural drawings of floor plans, elevations, and sections of the Toronto Magnetic and Meteorological Observatory, by the firm Cumberland and Storm and drawn by John Worthington, September 5, 1853.

Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation

Accroissements

Mode de classement

Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation

Conditions d’accès

Open.

Conditions de reproduction

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Notes de langue et graphie

Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques

Instruments de recherche

Item list.

Instrument de recherche téléversé

Zone des sources complémentaires

Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux

Existence et lieu de conservation des copies

Zone des notes

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Accession

B1980-0025

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle de la description

Identifiant de la description

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

Dates de production, de révision, de suppression

Added to AtoM by E. Sommers, July 2018

Langue(s)

Écriture(s)

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Genres associés

Lieux associés