CA OTUTF MS COLL 00217
Hunter, Rose & Co. Papers
- [ca.1874]-1977 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
17 boxes and items (2.74 metres)
Name of creator
Hunter, Rose & Co., originally a partnership of Robert Hunter, George Maclean Rose and Francois Lemieux, was established in 1861. It took over the five-year contract as legislative printer to the Province of Canada in Quebec City when Samuel Thompson withdrew from the business of Thompson, Hunter & Co. It successfully bid in its own name on a new five-year contract with the Province of Canada in 1865, eventually moving its printing office to Ottawa when the capital was transferred. Following the completion of the federal contract, it closed the Ottawa office and consolidated its business in Toronto in 1871, where it remained for the next 112 years, until it eventually went into receivership under the name of the Hunter Rose Company in 1983.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Gift of the Hunter Rose Company, Sept. 1983.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Collection contains letters patent, minute books, stock certificates, balance sheets, correspondence and miscellaneous material relating to the Hunter, Rose & Company and its associated companies.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Material may be requested in person at the Fisher Library Reference Desk, or in advance using our online stack retrieval request form: https://fisher.library.utoronto.ca/stack-retrieval-request
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material