Showing 21 results

Archival description
University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department fonds
Print preview View:

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department. Design, Engineering and Construction Division

Specifications for additions, alterations and renovations to University buildings, 1912-1957: Pathological building, 1928; Examination Hall, 1947; Drill Hall, 1939 and 1947; Canadian School of Missions ( 97 St. George St.), 1929; Electrical building, 1919; Mechanical building, 1946 and 1947; Mill building, 1930; Hygiene Building (1925), swimming pool in north wing (1932), blood serum building and alterations to Hygiene building (1942), addition to south-east wing,(1937); Department of Biochemistry, Medical building, 1955; new library for Wycliffe College, 1929; University of Toronto Press building, 1948; Hart House: extension (n.d.), office waiting room, dressing room, rehersal room, and 'Green Room', 1948; Ontario College of Education building, 1931 and 1957; temporary boiler, U of T, 1946; Toronto Baseball and Athletic Company Ltd. stadium, 1926; south wing of Hygiene building, 1931; University College, 1946; McLennan Laboratories, 1946; David Dunlap Observatory, 1932; Institute of Aerophysics, 1949 and 1951; Varsity Stadium, 1950; Holwood (Flavelle) House, 78 Queen's Park; transformer room under bleachers at n.w. end of Varsity Arena, 1948; University Book Store, 1947; Trinity College chapel, 1953; University College Women's Residence (Whitney Hall), 1930; Economics Building (Mcmaster Hall), 1949 and 1953; Toronto General Hospital, 590-592 University Avenue, 1948; Trinity College, 1921 and 1922 (Queen Street site ?); new Knox College, 1912; Connaught Laboratory, 1926; Botany building heating tunnel, 1931.

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department

Records of the Superintendent, H. C. Milne relating to the planning, construction, renovation and opening of campus buildings including correspondence, contracts, progress reports, budgets, architectural drawings and photographs. Buildings include: Medical Sciences, Superintendant's Building Edward Johnson Bldg (Faculty of Music), Robarts Library, Pharmacy, Law, Chemistry Labs, Physics Building's LINAC Labs (Linear Accelerator), Aerospace, New College, Men's Residence, 79 St. George (Women's Union), U of T Press, Faculty of Arts Bldg (Sidney Smith) and files relating to buildings demolished.

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department

Records of the Planning and Engineering Division, relating to the planning, construction and alteration to campus buildings. Includes correspondence, contracts, architectural drawings, reports, budgets and photographs. Buildings include (not complete): Best Institute, Economics, Superintendant's, Pharmacy (alterations), Ontario College of Education, the International Centre, McClennan Labs (alterations), Medical Science and well as a file on propertied on Gull Lake. There are more architectural drawings of other buildings (see case file for item list). Photographs include contruction views of Sigmund Samuel, Sidney Smith and 215 Huron buildings. There are also mounted photographs of University College and one aerial view of the campus grounds, n.d..

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department

Architectural drawings of University Buildings many of which have been demolished, rented or sold: Old Medical Bldg, Old Biology Bldg., School of Practical Science [old Engineering Building], Old Chemistry Building, 99-101 St. George, 146 St George (women's residence), 205 Avenue Rd. (University of Toronto Schools Athletic Grounds), 67 St. George, 6 Devonshire Place (University Extension), Connaught Medical Research Laboratories, 277 Huron (Victoria Club Curling Rink), 37-39 Wilcocks, 45 Charles St. E (formerly Rare Book Library), original proposal for the New Athletic Complex, 679-681 Spadina Ave., Aura Lee Playing Field and Athletic Club, 100 Queen's Park Cres., Kappa Alpha Lodge, Superintendent's Office (95 St. George), Chemistry Bldg, Trinity College School in Port Hope, early proposals for Robarts Library, 146 St. George, Simcoe Hall, 86 Queen's Park Cres., Queen's Park Cres. Women's Residence, 23 Grange Ave., Kappa Sigma Fraternity House, proposed Innis College.
There are also renovation drawings to existing buildings on campus as well as plans and assessed values of buildings in May 1946.
Three photoprints of the University Bookstore, 1956, one of which shows University College and Student's Administrative Council building.

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department

Disbound notebook, scrapbook and other papers relating to the Physical Plant department and the management of buildings including wages, renovations, insurance, campus events, prices, war measure etc... Lists and descriptions of portraits and paintings in the University (1969). Building files containing summary information of a historical and financial nature (with index). Slides taken of West Campus before and during construction, 1956-1959. Includes construction views of the Forestry Building, the Superintendent's Building, the Canadiana Gallery (Archives) and others.

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department

Architectural drawings and plans of University buildings including: proposed Museum 1909; Women's Gymnasium and Devonshire Place, ca. 1936-38; University College Residence for the President, 1881; Chemical Laboratory, 1892; Faculty of Education and Pedagogy Bldg (proposed), 1889-1908; Women's Union Gymnasium (proposed), 1928; Old Knox College (Spadina Cres.) 1873; Student's Union and 3rd Gymnasium (1892-1894); Laidlaw Library, 1961; Medical Building. Maps and land use plans of the St. George campus grounds ca. 1889-1948.
Some early records relating to King's College and its lands including a parliamentary bill, land indentures, announcement of the Laying of the Cornerstone, early diplomas etc...
Photographic reproductions of drawings of University College Women's Residence and Old Knox College. Includes slides and photoprints.

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department fonds

  • UTA 0173
  • Fonds
  • ca. 1839 - 1985

Fonds contains 26 accessions of records from the Physical Plant Department and its predecessor the Office of the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. See accession-level descriptions for details.

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department