Showing 17 results

Archival description
Series
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

University of Trinity College, Queen Street West

This series consists of architectural records pertaining to the physical plant of the University of Trinity College, Toronto, Queen Street West location. This series includes land survey records, landscape plans, architectural drawings, and technical drawings relating to the area found on Queen Street West, Toronto. All records are listed chronologically within the series.

University of Trinity College, Queen's Park (Hoskin Avenue)

This series consists of architectural records pertaining to either the construction history or to the physical plant of the University of Trinity College, Toronto, Queen's Park location including all subsequent additions and renovations. After the removal from the Queen Street West location, the University of Trinity College established itself on grounds associated with the larger campus of the University of Toronto. All records are listed chronologically within the series.

St.Hilda's College

This series consists of architectural records pertaining to either the construction history or to the physical plant of St. Hilda's College, Toronto, including all subsequent additions and renovations. This series includes land survey records, landscape plans, architectural drawings, and technical drawings relating to structures given the name of 'St. Hilda's College,' regardless of physical location. All records are listed chronologically within the series. This series has been divided into 6 sub-series according to individual construction projects.

Gerald Larkin Academic Building (Larkin Building)

This series consists of architectural records pertaining to either the construction history or to the physical plant of the Gerald Larkin Academic Building (Larkin Building), Trinity College, Toronto. including all subsequent additions and renovations, including the addition of the George Ignatieff Theatre, and later modifications made to the Buttery, and cafeteria serving areas.

Records of related bodies

This series consists of architectural records that have been created for separate bodies but that relate to the built history of properties held or used by the University of Trinity College. Although not created directly for Trinity College, these materials (architectural plans, maps, and surveys), have a bearing on the present physical location or with locations associated with it; these plans may not be directly related to Trinity College use and may include materials not commissioned by the College.

OISE/UT

This series begins with files that Professor Lang’s broad activities within OISE/UT as recorded in his performance assessments, activity reports and course evaluations. There are followed by files on the Provost’s OISE Committee of the late 1970s through the mid-1980s, which include material on the first pass at the thorny issue of the possible integration of OISE into the University of Toronto. Most of the files relating to the Higher Education Group, with which Professor Lang was primarily associated at OISE, contain material spanning almost 20 years on examination questions.

The bulk of this series, however, relates to the merger of OISE with the U of T to create, in 1995, OISE/UT. Professor Lang’s personal work binders on the merger are present, as are legal and other documents on the merger, followed by implementation files, including those of the Academic Implementation Task Force and on the issues relating to OISE’s property. The series concludes with files on the OISE/UT Joint MPHEd program with the Faculty of Medicine (2003-2004).

Employment

Except for photographs, this series contains little documentation on Davidson Black’s employment before 1917 when he enlisted with the Canadian Army Medical Corps and went overseas. The bulk of this series relates to his work in China at the Peking Union Medical College, his anthropological research including his discovery of "Peking man", and his travels within China and to Mongolia, India, Siam, and elsewhere.

The files contain correspondence, photographs, addresses, and publications (including some drafts), and memorabilia. Most of the photographs were taken by Dr. Black himself, though some were taken by Adena and others (especially presentation copies) by friends and colleagues. Dr. Black carefully annotated many of the photos he took, often in considerable detail even to the time of day and the shutter speed used. Included are a few glass-plate negatives and about 50 lantern slides. The negatives are usually dated and were kept except if they were in good condition. On his travels, Dr. Black collected autographed photographs of many of the scientists and academics he met; these are included in this series.

University of Cambridge and World War II

Following graduation in medicine from the University of Toronto, Dr. Solandt decided to embark on a career of clinical research in cardiology, using the Ellen Mickle Scholarship. He spent three academic terms in 1936-1937 at the University of Cambridge under the tutilege of Dr. Alan N. Drury, a distinguished researcher in the field of experimental pathology and one of Britain

Co-operative Housing Case Study: background materials & research

In addition to the attendance at meetings of CHAT and ASC board, staff and member meetings, and interviews and surveys of users and non-users, the researchers also collected background material on the Ashworth Square Housing Co-operative, and the United Church of Canada Board of Evangelism and Social Service National Housing Committee as one of its main funding bodies.

The background materials on the Ashworth Square Housing Co-operative itself include architectural drawings of the suite plans, a copy of the original proposal for its development, a copy of the occupancy agreement and by-laws, as well as general publicity for the co-op and information regarding the initial election of members to the Board of Directors. There are also seven b/w photographs of co-op members and children. The background materials on the United Church of Canada Board of Evangelism and Social Service National Housing Committee includes minutes of meetings of both the housing committee and the Technical Subcommittee, correspondence, reports, a brief on housing to Hon Paul Hellyer (Minister of Transport).

Professors Breslauer and Andrews also conducted research into housing issues, and co-op housing alternatives across Canada, the US and abroad. These files include information on the Co-op Housing Foundation, and the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation papers on co-op housing and in particular, on the Ashworth Square Housing Co-op. They also include information on co-op housing conferences, other housing co-operatives and organizations, and general housing issues and research published during this time period. Included in this series is a CBC radio special on housing cooperatives which includes a piece on the ASC.

Resource cards

This is a series of index cards that are colour coded and grouped by country. Most cards contain architectural drawings copied from books but some are hand drawn by Acland. There are also postcards showing buildings and some notes. These were most likely used to organize his research and supplement his lecture notes found in the notebooks.

Other activities

In 1921, Dr. Benson was elected the first president of the Women’s Athletic Association of University of Toronto and was involved from the beginning in the campaign to build an athletic building for women. Among the records relating to this activity are correspondence, notes, financial statements and blueprints of proposed buildings. Also included in this series are correspondence, minutes and reports relating to her work as Chair of the Foreign Committee of the YWCA (Young Women’s Christian Association) focusing primarily on an international survey on leadership (1930-1932). Other documents include two undated and unsigned manuscripts of stories, a collection of cards acquired during a trip to the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893, and a scrapbook of pressed flowers with identification collected by Clara Benson ca 1890’s.

Benson Family

This series contains assorted files relating to the Benson family in general and Dr. Benson’s parents in particular. Included are records relating to the family property in Port Hope, estate papers for her father Judge Thomas Benson, correspondence between Judge Benson and his second wife, Laura Fuller Benson (Clara Benson’s mother), account records for the management of the house and property in Port Hope.

B2010-0008 contains mainly family papers. Included are records relating to Clara Benson’s sister Emily C. Morris, including estate correspondence. Other members of the Morris family for which there are records: William Morris and Alexander Morris. Correspondence, wills, clippings and memorabilia also document Benson family members, particularly Thomas Bengley Benson, son of Thomas Moore Benson and Laura Fuller. Many of the records relate to his work as a naval architect and yacht broker as well as his estate of which Clara Benson was executor. Finally there are drawings and some financial records relating to the family home in Port Hope – Terralta.

University of Toronto Governing Council

Series A, University of Toronto Governing Council, covers the years 1963 through 2002. The Governing Council is the highest governing body of the University of Toronto. In 1963, the Governing Council drafted A Provisional Plan for Two Off-Campus Colleges in the University of Toronto, which established Scarborough College (later UTSC) and also Erindale College (later the University of Toronto Mississauga, or UTM). The series includes correspondence and address lists for various council members, by-laws for the council, and council minutes from 1973 to 2002. Also included are documents relating to the opening of the College in 1964 for extension courses and the formal opening in 1966. Materials regarding the design and construction of the College, including architectural drawings, are included as well, since the Governing Council oversaw the construction of the initial buildings.