- UTA 0279
Fonds contains 1 accession. See accession-level description for details
University of Toronto. Students' Committee
Fonds contains 1 accession. See accession-level description for details
University of Toronto. Students' Committee
This fonds contains 3 small accessions from the University of Toronto Schools. See accession-level description for details.
University of Toronto Schools
This fonds contains 2 accessions:
A2016-0007: Contains records from the Centre for European, Russian, and Eurasian Studies (CERES) and its predecessor the Centre for Russian and East European Studies (CREES). Records include exchange program files for studies engaged in the Canada-USSR exchange, various CREES committee meeting minutes and agenda, Centre newsletters, promotional material, director's correspondence, graduate student information, faculty lists, visiting fellow lists, annual budgets and reports, and event files for many workshops, colloquium and seminars that were organized by the school. Also includes records of the Stalin-Era Research and Archives Project (SERAP), a SSHRC funded project seeking to stimulate the reinterpretation of politics and society in the USSR under Stalin through the use of newly declassified archival materials.
A2016-0020: This accession contains records from the Centre for European, Russian, and Eurasian Studies (CERES). The records include executive council minutes, event files, activity reports, Centre reviews, some fundraising files, and a small number of HR files. All material in the box 1 comes from the office of the former director Robert Johnson.
University of Toronto. Munk School of Global Affairs
This fonds contains 8 accessions from the Reference Department (officially Robarts Reference & Research Services). See accession-level descriptions for details.
University of Toronto Libraries
This fonds contains 12 accessions of records from various Presidential Advisory Committees. See accession-level description for details.
University of Toronto. Presidential Advisory Committees
This fonds consists of 1 accession of records from the International Congress of Immunology. See accession-level description for details.
International Congress of Immunology
Contains 1 accession of records from Department of Restorative Surgery. See accession-level description for details.
University of Toronto. Department of Restorative Surgery
This fonds contains 2 accessions from the University-Wide Committee. See accession-level descriptions for details.
University of Toronto. University-Wide Committee
This accession contains 4 accessions from the Conference on the Future of the Canadian Confederation. See accession-level descriptions for details.
Conference on the Future of the Canadian Confederation
This fonds contains 1 accession of records from the Department of Athletics and Physical Education (Women). See accession-level description for details.
University of Toronto. Department of Athletics and Physical Education (Women)
This fonds from the Harry Cassidy Memorial Research Fund.
Harry Cassidy Memorial Research Fund
This fonds contains 1 accession of records from the Conference of Learned Societies' Arrangements Committee. See accession-level description for details.
Conference of Learned Societies. Arrangements Committee
This fonds from the University of Toronto Mississauga's Department of Language Studies contains 1 accession. See accession-level description for details.
University of Toronto Mississauga. Department of Language Studies
This fonds contains 1 accession of records from the University of Toronto Scarborough Library. See accession-level description for details.
University of Toronto Scarborough Library
This fonds contains 1 accession from the University of Toronto Scarborough's Office of the Vice President & Principal. See accession-level description for details.
University of Toronto Scarborough. Office of the Vice President & Principal
This fonds from the University of Toronto's Department of Nutritional Sciences contains 1 accession. See accession-level description for more details.
University of Toronto. Department of Nutritional Sciences
This fonds from University of Toronto's Multi-Faith Centre contains 1 accession. See accession-level description for details.
University of Toronto. Multi-Faith Centre
Collection consists of materials relating to musical life in Toronto, Ontario. The collection includes photographs of various Canadian and European musicians, including various photographs of Canadian Opera Company productions from the late 1980s and early 1990s, autographs from various opera singers and musicians from the late-nineteenth century, three scrapbooks with newspaper clippings and programs, and a collection of songs published in the Toronto Evening Telegram at the end of the nineteenth century.
University of Toronto Music Library
Collection contains newsletters, monographs, articles, and other various publications dealing with the Faculty of Music.
University of Toronto. Faculty of Music
Collection consists of Herman Geiger-Torel's library of piano-vocal scores, including his markings and notes.
Including 189 piano-vocal scores :
• Beethoven Fidelio. German. Peters. Pl.no. 7240 (With typescript dialogue)
• Bellini Norma. French. Leduc. Pl.no. 3605
• Norma. Italian. Ricordi, 1960. Pl.no. 41684
• La Sonnambula. German and ltalian. Peters. Pl. No. 5271
• Bizet Carmen. French and English. Boosey and Hawkes. Pl.no. US Bk251
• Carmen. French and English. Schirmer, 1958. #421. Pl.no. 12117
• Carmen. French. Choudens
• Boito Mefistofele. Italian. Ricordi. Pl.no. 44720
• Britten Rape of Lucretia. English and German. Boosey and Hawkes. Rev. 1947. Pl.no.15846
• Catalani Loreley. Italian. Ricordi. Pl.no. 54916
• Charpentier Louise. French. Heugel, 1900
• Cimarosa Il matrimonio segreto. Italian. Ricordi, 1944. Pl.no. 441687. Presentation copy from Ernesto Barbini
• Donizetti Don Pasquale. Italian and English. F. Colombo, 1965. Pl.no. 2419-231
• L'elisir d'amore. Italian. Ricordi. Pl.no. 41688
• Lucia di Lammermoor. Italian and German. Peters. Pl.no. 7736
• Dukas Ariane et barbe-bleue. French. Durand, 1906
• Gluck Alceste. English, French and German. Breitkopf & Härtel, 1904. Pl.no. V.A. 2039
• Orpheus. French and German. Peters. Pl.no. 9902
• Gounod Faust. French and English. Schirmer, 1930. Pl.no. 16100
• Roméo et Juliet. French and English. Schirmer, 1925. Pl.no. 13203
• Roméo et Juliet. French. Choudens. Pl.no. 1411
• Humperdinck Hänsel und Gretel. German. B. Schott’s Söhne, 1894. Pl.no. 25618
• Hänsel und Gretel. English. Schirmer. Pl.no. 31957
• Lehár Die lustige Witwe. English. Chappell, 1907. Pl.no. 23260
• Die lustige Witwe. German and English. Doblinger : Glocken
• Massenet Manon. French and English. Schirmer, 1940. Pl.no. 38782
• Werther. French. Heugel. Pl.no. 1812
• Menotti The consul. English. Schirmer, 1950. Pl.no. 42369 (With stage designs for the Guelph
• The medium. English and French. Schirmer, 1947. Pl.no. 41701
• The old maid and the thief. English. Ricordi, 1943. Pl.no. N.Y. 1282
• Milhaud Le pauvre matelot. French. Heugel, 1927. Pl.no. 29532
• Montemezzi L’amore dei tre re. Italian. Ricordi, 1915. Pl.no. 114651
• Monteverdi Poppea. Italian. Suvini Zerboni, 1937. Pl.no. S.501Z
• Mozart La clemenza di Tito. German and Italian. Breitkopf & Härtel. Pl.no. 12866, VA209
• Cosi fan tutte. Italian and German. Breitkopf & Härtel. Pl.no. E.B. 1666
• Cosi fan tutte. Italian and English. International, 1948 Pl.no.1051
• Cosi fan tutte. Italian and English. Schirmer, c1952. Pl.no. 42735 (With 1973 and 1974 COC tour notes)
• Die Entführung. German and Italian. Peters. Pl.no. 6445
• Die Entführung. German and English. Boosey & Hawkes, c1944. Pl.no. US Bk no. 109
• Don Giovanni. German and Italian. T. Ackermann. Pl.no. E.B.2180
• Don Giovanni. English and Italian. Boosey & Hawkes, 1966. Pl.no. H.15593
• Le nozze di Figaro. Italian and English. Schirmer, 1951. Pl.no. 42226
• Le nozze di Figaro. Italian and German Breitkopf & Härtel, 1899. Pl.no. V.A.1716
• Die Zauberflöte. German. Peters. Pl. no. 10425
• Die Zauberflöte. German and English. Schirmer, 1941. Pl.no. 39678
• Nicolai. Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor. Peters. Pl.no. 7774
• Offenbach Les contes d’Hoffmann. German and French. Choudens. Pl.no. A.C.5301
• Pergolesi La serva padrona. English. Kalmus, 1934
• Puccini La Bohème. German Ricordi c1897 Pl.no. 100171
• Gianni Schicchi. German Ricordi c1920 Pl.no. 118100 (118097)
• Gianni Schicchi. Italian and English Ricordi Pl.no. 121158 c1930
• Madama Butterfly. Italian Ricordi c1907 Pl.no. 110000
• Manon Lescaut. Italian Ricordi c1893 Pl.no. 95567
• II tabarro. German Ricordi c1920 Pl.no. 118098 (118097)
• Rossini Il barbiere di Sivigia. Italian Ricordi Pl.no. 41691
• Saint-Säens Samson et Dalilah. French and German Durand c1907 D&F 6935
• Strauss, R. Ariadne auf Naxos. German Furstner c1940 (B&H 1943) Pl.no. 6368 A.7453F.
• Elektra. German Furstner Sept 1 1969 production notes c1936 (B&H 1943) Pl.no. A.5654F. • Rosenkavalier. German and English. Boosey & Hawkes Pl.no. c1943 F.500
• Salome. German and English. Fürstner c1910 Pl.no. A.5503F.
• Salome. German and English. Hawkes & Son c1943 Pl.no. H15570
• Tchaikovsky Eugene Oniegin. Russian and English. Schauer & May Pl.no. 153
• Eugene Oniegin. German and English. Schirmer, 1936. Pl.no. 20096
• Queen of spades. French. A. Noël. Pl.no. A.N. 2068 (With list of props)
• Verdi Aida. Italian Ricordi 1944 Pl.no 42602
• Aida. Italian and English Schirmer, c1925 Pl.no.13573
• Ballo in maschera. German and Italian Ricordi Pl.no. 108971
• Falstaff. German Ricordi c1893 Pl.no. R&C 96370
• La forza del destino. Italian Ricordi 1944 Pl.no.41381
• Otello. Italian and English International 1948 ed #1000 • Rigoletto. Italian and German A. Kranz Pl.no. C.44991
• La traviata. Italian Benoit 276p.
• Il trovatore. German and Italian A. Kranz Pl.no. 18739 (Peters) 239
• Wagner Der fliegende Hollander. German Furstner c1909 Pl.no. A5777F
• Lohengrin. German Breitkopf & Hartel Pl.no. V.A. 301
• Die Meistersinger. German and English B. Schott's Sohne Pl.no. 18975a
• Parsifal. German B. Schott's Sohne Pl.no. 28400 c1910
• Walküre. German and English B. Schott's Sohne c1899 Pl.no. 26590 (Schirmer 1904)
• Walküre. German Peters Pl.no. 9803
• Rheingold. German Peters Pl.no. 9800
• Siegfried. German and English Breitkopf & Hartel c1914 Pl.no. RW 9
• Götterdämmerung. German and English Schirmer Pl.no. 37215
• Götterdämmerung. German B. Schott's Sohne c1908 Pl.no. 28000
• Tristan und Isolde. German (2 copies) Breitkopf und Härtel Pl.no. V.A.524
• Tristan und Isolde. German. Peters Pl. no. 9815
• Weber Oberon. German. Universal c1919 Pl.no. U.E. 5877 New dialogue and essay by H. GT.
• Weill Down in the valley Schirmer c1948 Pl.no. 41905 • Willan, Healey Deirdre. Photocopy of ms. 162 p.
• Wilson, C. Heloise and Abelard Photocopy of ms. 304 p.
• Wolf-Ferrari Quattri rusteghi. German and Italian J.Weinberger c1905 Pl.no. 1450
• Wolff, M. Der Heilige. German B. Schott's Sohne c1913 Pl.no. 29647. With composer's autograph to Lina Geiger-Kullmann, 1935
Fonds consists of letters, typescript and manuscript, to Gustav Ciamaga, 1963-1974.
Le Caine, Hugh
Fonds consists of compositions, programs and reviews, photographs and family documents.
Fonds includes memorabilia , photographs, correspondence, lecture notes, brochures and programs.
Lambert, George James
Collection contains correspondence, copies of sources, notes, illustrations, photographs, microfilms, and other working papers for Ezra Schabas's book Theodore Thomas : America's conductor and builder of orchestras, 1835-1905 (University of Indiana Press, 1989).
Fonds consists of records created by John Beckwith during his career, predominantly relating to his compositions. Materials include sketches, drafts, final copies, texts, performance records, and related correspondence for most of his works, as well as programs and press notices, and other personal and professional documents. Records include correspondence with other musicians, both personal and professional; materials created through his work with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation; lecture notes from his time at the University of Toronto and other presentations; and documents pertaining to his various awards and honours.
Consists of correspondence, minutes, course and lecture notes, examinations, law notes, court cases, reports, manuscripts, articles, and other material documenting the career of Albert Abel as a professor of law at the University of West Virginia and (from 1955) at University of Toronto, and as a specialist in constitutional law and and on environmental issues such as pollution. Representative of his activities are files on examinations (both universities) and, at the University of Toronto, the Law Journal and committees in the Faculty of Law, the Commission on University Government, several Senate committees, the Caput, and the Presidential Advisory Committee on the Institute of Business Administration. He was also active in other bodies such as the Institute of Public Administration of Canada, the Association of Canadian Law Teachers, and, in 1942, as a consultant to the Office of Price Administration in Washington, DC.
Abel, Albert Salisbury
Records documenting Professor Acland’s research, publication and teaching activities. Includes notebooks, scripts and draft papers, photographs, slides, and negatives. The fonds is dominated by over 4000 prints and negatives documenting his research interest in and publication of his book The Gothic Vault and the book Building by the Sea written with Eric Arthur on the study of maritime architecture on Canada’s east coast. Also included are numerous prints of Toronto where Acland was active in the preservation of historic buildings such as Old City Hall.
This accession documents to a limited degree James Acland’s research, teaching and publications. It is limited because very little of his textual records survived, although there is a good number of notebooks that were mostly likely used for lectures. Records relating to his architectural conservation work especially relating to saving Old City Hall are held at the City of Toronto Archives.
This accession does however give a good representation of Acland’s photographic work that formed the basis of his research and publications. There are extensive photographs and negatives relating to The Gothic Vault as well as Building by the Sea. There is a large collection of photographs taken on a trip to Europe in 1964. These would have most certainly been used for research and teaching. All the images in this collection are well identified in terms of their location and site. However, few give specific dates. It is assumed that most of the images were taken through the 1960s and some in the early 1970s.
Sometime after his death, a collection of 25,000 slides was donated to the University of Toronto and was distributed among 15 departments. A catalogue of these slides was prepared by the Centre for Medieval Studies and published in 1984: Catalogue of the James Acland Slide Collection. Only a few slides were donated with this accession and it is possible they are duplicates of what is found in the larger collection.
Acland, James Headly
Offprints of articles written in English, French, German, and Turkish by Aziz Ahmad, Professor in the Department of Middle East and Islamic Studies, and some mimeographed material; also presentation books and offprints.
Letter from J.C. Aikins to his brother, W.J. Aikins, 6 March, 1865, regarding proposals for the establishment of the faculties of medicine and law in the University of Toronto. Portrait of Moses Henry Aikins, taken by Notman & Fraser. Obituary of Moses Henry Aikins, 1921.
Records documenting John Black Aird's position as chancellor of the University of Toronto. Includes correspondence, speeches, clippings and memorabilia.
Aird, John Black
Fonds consists of records documenting the Arts and Science Students’ Union and its constituent course unions. Material reflects ASSU’s sometimes collaborative, sometimes adversarial relationships with course unions, other student societies like SAC and the Association of Part-Time Undergraduate Students (APUS), as well as with university and faculty administration. Included are records documenting ASSU’s efforts to increase student representation on administrative bodies, and their efforts to improve programs and policies pertaining to undergraduate education. Material also reflects course unions’ role in providing an avenue for students’ voices to be heard through the course evaluations. Records include executive and council meeting minutes, newsletters and event posters, course evaluations, reports and position statements, and correspondence.
Arts and Science Students' Union
Correspondence, diaries, course notes, lecture notes, notes, manuscripts, publications, and photographs documenting the activities of Elizabeth Josephine Allin, Annie Theresa Reed and Kathleen May Crossley as students, staff and faculty in the Department of Physics, University of Toronto
Allin, Elizabeth Josephine
Personal records of Margaret Allemang, documenting her career as a researcher, historian and professor of nursing history at the University of Toronto, and as a promoter and preserver of nursing history, primarily through her oral histories with nursing sisters from World Wars I and II, the Margaret Allemang Centre for the History of Nursing, and the Canadian Association for the History of Nursing/Association Canadienne pour l'Histoire du Nursing (CAHN/ACHN), the latter two of which she was a co-founder. There are also files on other professional organizations, including the Canadian Nurses Association, Elderhostel, and the Conference on Nursing History and other nursing conferences. Included are correspondence, appointment books, minutes, administrative and teaching files, oral history interviews, research notes, manuscripts, reports, newsletters, addresses and audiotapes.
Allemang, Margaret May
Personal records of Prof. Carl G. Amrhein, principal investigator on the Health Data Mapping: a community-university collaboration project funded by the NHRPD (National Health Research and Development Program) and the SETO (South east Toronto) project. Includes correspondence, grant applications, copies of reports.
Amrhein, Carl G.
Hand-lettered and illustrated volume presented to Grand Master William Nesbitt Ponton on the occasion of his visit to the University Lodge No.496, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Toronto, March 4, 1923; with covering letter of March, 1998 and a photo-copy of the volume (user copy).
Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. University Lodge
Fonds consists of 2 accessions:
B1972-0021: Personal records of Fulton Anderson, professor in (1926-1966) and sometime head (1945-1963) of the Department of Philosophy, University of Toronto and (1966-1968) Laurentian University. They consist partially of the material assembled for a proposed book on John Locke, and for books on Francis Bacon, Plato, and Coleridge; also correspondence, lecture notes, students' term papers, administrative files. There are also records belonging to George Sidney Brett. (44 boxes, 1920-1967)
B1973-0033: This accession contains only offprints; it should be checked against the other Fulton Anderson accession [B72-0021] to determine whether any need be kept. (1 box, 1942-1964)
Anderson, Fulton Henry
Personal records of James E. Anderson, professor of anatomy and anthropology at the University of Toronto, McMaster University, and the State University of New York at Buffalo. Fonds consists of two accessions.
-B2003-0024 includes field notes, notes, infracranial and cranial forms, reports, tables, correspondence, manuscripts, articles, photographs and slides relating to archaeological sites in Canada and the United States and associated research and writing. Also contains a file on the death of Professor Lawrence Oschinsky of the Department of Anthropology at the University of Toronto.
-B2004-0009 includes manuscript (original and bound carbon copy) of "The Osteology of the Orchid Site, Fort Erie,Ontario", file on Tuberculosis, correspondence, medical case files of young males (SC4 -SC60); and series of hand drawn diagrams of human anatomy.
Anderson, James E.
This fonds consists of two accessions, only one of which is fully described.
The records received in 2008 (B2008-0011) consist of three series (and only 1.06 metres):
-Series 1: Administration, documents his activities as member and chair of the Planning and Priorities Subcommittee of Governing Council.
Accession B1989-0002 (7.18 metres) contains predominantly teaching materials such as lecture notes, course files and files relating to graduate students’ PhD theses. As well there are research materials, manuscripts for published and unpublished works, and a few files relating to administrative functions in the department of Geography at Erindale College and additional files on the Planning and Priorities Subcommittee.
Andrews, Howard Frederick
This fonds documents various facets of Prof. Armatage’s career as a filmmaker, senior programmer for the Toronto International Film Festival, and a professor of Cinema Studies and Women’s Studies at the University of Toronto. The academic activity files in Series 1 give an overview of the breadth of her interests, achievements and promotions. Lecture notes and other course materials in Series 2, along with comments on student works found in Series 3, document her teaching role. These will be especially useful to researchers interested in understanding the early beginnings of both women studies and cinema studies and how these developing academic disciplines were being taught to students. Prof. Armatage’s role as a programmer for the Toronto International Film Festival is documented in her extensive notes found in notebooks where she recorded critiques of films she was screening. These are found in Series 4. The extent of her filmmaking is documented in Series 7 and contains preserved original film elements to several of Prof. Armatage’s films, along with a limited amount of related documentation on the making of these films. Unfortunately, this fonds does not contain release prints for these titles.
This fonds has only a small amount of records relating to her published academic works as well as files relating to conferences she organized and associations in which she was active. These can be found in Series 5 and Series 6.
Textbooks, reference books, and other annotated medical books used by Harold Grover Armstrong while a medical student at the University of Toronto (1915-1920), while on faculty, and at St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto; also some course notes and related material.
Armstrong, Harold Grover
Autobiographical information, reminiscences, citations, correspondence, articles, designs and proposals concerning Prof. Arthur and projects with which he was associated during the years 1932, 1955, 1962-1974
Arthur, Eric Ross
Fonds consists of 2 accessions
B1974-0018: General correspondence, including letters from C.R. Fay and E.J. Urwick; writings, consisting of articles contributed to learned journals and letters to editors; and published accounts of Ashley's career as a professor of commerce and head of the Department of Political Economy, accomplishments, and honours bestowed on him; two photoprints of Professor Ashley. (1 box, 1930-1973)
B1980-0006: Offprints of articles, largely presentation copies, belonging to Charles Allan Ashley, Professor of Commerce and sometime head, Department of Political Economy; includes seven offprints of Professor Ashley's articles. (2 boxes, 1931-1968)
Ashley, Charles Allan
Papers presented at seminars conducted by Professor Ashley at University College; covering letter from T. Richards, Librarian of the University College of North Wales
Ashley, William James
This fonds from the University of Toronto Associates contains 3 accessions. See accession-level descriptions for details.
The Associates of the University of Toronto, Inc
Mimeographed copy of lecture notes in commercial law, prepared by Frederick C. Auld, special lecturer in law, for the 1959-1960 academic year.
Auld, Frederick Clyde
Fonds consists of 2 accessions
B1976-0025: Personal records of Erich Baer documenting his career as chemist and professor in and sometime head of the sub-department of synthetic chemistry in the Banting and Best Department of Medical Research. Included are personal correspondence, diaries, certificates and diplomas, course notes while a student at the University of Basle (1932-1936), research notes, and patents. (4 boxes, 1922-1967)
B1981-0010: Articles by, tributes about, and obituaries of Erich Baer; also doctoral thesis, certificates, medals, plaques, and photoprints documenting his career. Photograph includes obverse and reverse views of award presented to Professor Baer, by the American Society of European Chemists and Pharmacists, 1961. (6 boxes, 1919-1975)
Baer, Erich Eugen Ferdinand Theodor
Memorabilia, photographs, correspondence, plans, class and prize lists and examination paper kept by Dixon Lloyd Bailey, professor of plant pathology in the Department of Botany and by his daughter, Nancy Illah Jane Bailey, an undergraduate student in English. Includes information on the study of botany at the University of Toronto.
Correspondence, certificates, diaries, course and lecture notes, notes, manuscripts and articles, documenting Harold Baillie as a student in biology and as a professor of mammalian anatomy and instructor of medical students in the Department of Zoology; printing blocks for floor plan of the Biological Building; glass- plate negatives and photographs of students in dentistry (1938-1939), medicine (1930-1944), graduating classes in Arts and Household Science (1911), Medicine (1915), and of portraits of Daniel Wilson, Ramsay Wright, and William Bateson.
Baillie, William H. T.
Drawings for the first to third year drawing courses in chemical engineering (diploma programme) taken by J. Watson Bain at the School of Practical Science, 1893-1896; photoprint of the executive of the SPS Engineering Society, 1896-1897; membership certificate from the American Society of Chemical Engineers, 1910.
Bain, James W.
Records documenting Professor Ursula Anderson's research project, Toronto Child Health Study, including correspondence, research files, working papers, drafts of the study, and the abbreviated report as accepted by the Department of National Health and Welfare; her submission for a senior scientist award, files on projects reviewed by Dr. Anderson, and an article written by her.
Anderson, Ursula Mary