Showing 253 results

Archival description
University of Toronto Archives and Records Management Services
Print preview View:

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department fonds

  • UTA 0173
  • Fonds
  • ca. 1839 - 1985

Fonds contains 26 accessions of records from the Physical Plant Department and its predecessor the Office of the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. See accession-level descriptions for details.

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department. Design, Engineering and Construction Division

Specifications for additions, alterations and renovations to University buildings, 1912-1957: Pathological building, 1928; Examination Hall, 1947; Drill Hall, 1939 and 1947; Canadian School of Missions ( 97 St. George St.), 1929; Electrical building, 1919; Mechanical building, 1946 and 1947; Mill building, 1930; Hygiene Building (1925), swimming pool in north wing (1932), blood serum building and alterations to Hygiene building (1942), addition to south-east wing,(1937); Department of Biochemistry, Medical building, 1955; new library for Wycliffe College, 1929; University of Toronto Press building, 1948; Hart House: extension (n.d.), office waiting room, dressing room, rehersal room, and 'Green Room', 1948; Ontario College of Education building, 1931 and 1957; temporary boiler, U of T, 1946; Toronto Baseball and Athletic Company Ltd. stadium, 1926; south wing of Hygiene building, 1931; University College, 1946; McLennan Laboratories, 1946; David Dunlap Observatory, 1932; Institute of Aerophysics, 1949 and 1951; Varsity Stadium, 1950; Holwood (Flavelle) House, 78 Queen's Park; transformer room under bleachers at n.w. end of Varsity Arena, 1948; University Book Store, 1947; Trinity College chapel, 1953; University College Women's Residence (Whitney Hall), 1930; Economics Building (Mcmaster Hall), 1949 and 1953; Toronto General Hospital, 590-592 University Avenue, 1948; Trinity College, 1921 and 1922 (Queen Street site ?); new Knox College, 1912; Connaught Laboratory, 1926; Botany building heating tunnel, 1931.

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department

Architectural drawings of University Buildings many of which have been demolished, rented or sold: Old Medical Bldg, Old Biology Bldg., School of Practical Science [old Engineering Building], Old Chemistry Building, 99-101 St. George, 146 St George (women's residence), 205 Avenue Rd. (University of Toronto Schools Athletic Grounds), 67 St. George, 6 Devonshire Place (University Extension), Connaught Medical Research Laboratories, 277 Huron (Victoria Club Curling Rink), 37-39 Wilcocks, 45 Charles St. E (formerly Rare Book Library), original proposal for the New Athletic Complex, 679-681 Spadina Ave., Aura Lee Playing Field and Athletic Club, 100 Queen's Park Cres., Kappa Alpha Lodge, Superintendent's Office (95 St. George), Chemistry Bldg, Trinity College School in Port Hope, early proposals for Robarts Library, 146 St. George, Simcoe Hall, 86 Queen's Park Cres., Queen's Park Cres. Women's Residence, 23 Grange Ave., Kappa Sigma Fraternity House, proposed Innis College.
There are also renovation drawings to existing buildings on campus as well as plans and assessed values of buildings in May 1946.
Three photoprints of the University Bookstore, 1956, one of which shows University College and Student's Administrative Council building.

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department

Disbound notebook, scrapbook and other papers relating to the Physical Plant department and the management of buildings including wages, renovations, insurance, campus events, prices, war measure etc... Lists and descriptions of portraits and paintings in the University (1969). Building files containing summary information of a historical and financial nature (with index). Slides taken of West Campus before and during construction, 1956-1959. Includes construction views of the Forestry Building, the Superintendent's Building, the Canadiana Gallery (Archives) and others.

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department

Records of the Planning and Engineering Division, relating to the planning, construction and alteration to campus buildings. Includes correspondence, contracts, architectural drawings, reports, budgets and photographs. Buildings include (not complete): Best Institute, Economics, Superintendant's, Pharmacy (alterations), Ontario College of Education, the International Centre, McClennan Labs (alterations), Medical Science and well as a file on propertied on Gull Lake. There are more architectural drawings of other buildings (see case file for item list). Photographs include contruction views of Sigmund Samuel, Sidney Smith and 215 Huron buildings. There are also mounted photographs of University College and one aerial view of the campus grounds, n.d..

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department

Records of the Superintendent, H. C. Milne relating to the planning, construction, renovation and opening of campus buildings including correspondence, contracts, progress reports, budgets, architectural drawings and photographs. Buildings include: Medical Sciences, Superintendant's Building Edward Johnson Bldg (Faculty of Music), Robarts Library, Pharmacy, Law, Chemistry Labs, Physics Building's LINAC Labs (Linear Accelerator), Aerospace, New College, Men's Residence, 79 St. George (Women's Union), U of T Press, Faculty of Arts Bldg (Sidney Smith) and files relating to buildings demolished.

University of Toronto. Physical Plant Department

Architectural drawings and plans of University buildings including: proposed Museum 1909; Women's Gymnasium and Devonshire Place, ca. 1936-38; University College Residence for the President, 1881; Chemical Laboratory, 1892; Faculty of Education and Pedagogy Bldg (proposed), 1889-1908; Women's Union Gymnasium (proposed), 1928; Old Knox College (Spadina Cres.) 1873; Student's Union and 3rd Gymnasium (1892-1894); Laidlaw Library, 1961; Medical Building. Maps and land use plans of the St. George campus grounds ca. 1889-1948.
Some early records relating to King's College and its lands including a parliamentary bill, land indentures, announcement of the Laying of the Cornerstone, early diplomas etc...
Photographic reproductions of drawings of University College Women's Residence and Old Knox College. Includes slides and photoprints.

University of Toronto. University College Archives

This accession contains material collected by the University College Archives. Most of the records have been collected and donated over the course of the College's existence, and range from personal records of prominent faculty members (Barker Fairley, George Needler, John McCaul), and various University College departments and committees, to more ephemeral and biographical reference material generally relating to the College. The accession also contains a large amount of photographs and sounds and moving images, as well as artifacts from the College.

University of Toronto Art Centre (UTAC)

This accession contains Art Committee meeting minutes, reports and memorandas. The accesion also contains correspondence from the office of the Director Ken Bartlett and Art Curators Dr. Elizabeth and Liz Wylie, Directors Joan Randall and Sheila Campbell, and from the office of Peter Richardson, Principal of University College. Also contains architectural drawings of the Art Gallery, the Art Centre, and the Malcove Gallery.

University of Toronto Art Centre (UTAC) fonds

  • UTA 0252
  • Fonds
  • 1979-2004

This fonds contains 1 accession of records from the University of Toronto Art Centre (UTAC). See accession-level descriptions for details.

University of Toronto Art Centre (UTAC)

University of Toronto Libraries. Reference Department fonds

  • UTA 0282
  • Fonds
  • 1941-1975

This fonds contains 8 accessions from the Reference Department (officially Robarts Reference & Research Services). See accession-level descriptions for details.

University of Toronto Libraries

Mathers & Haldenby fonds

  • UTA 1530
  • Fonds
  • 1930-1990

Architectural drawings relating to buildings designed by Mathers & Haldenby, Architects for the University of Toronto including 21 King's College Circle (Bookshop), Archives Building (Canadiana Gallery), Botany Building (Tanz Neuroscience), Connaught Labs (1 Spadina Crescent and Dufferin Divisions), David Dunlap Observatory, Forestry building, Hygiene and Public Health Building (Fitzgerald), Sir Daniel Wilson Residence, Power House Building, Rosebrugh Building, Robarts Library, Sigmund Samuel Library, Simcoe Hall, South Borden Building, Thermodynamics building, University College, and Whitney Hall.

Also includes drawings for 2 private residences.

Mathers & Haldenby, Architects

University of Toronto. University College fonds

  • UTA 0213
  • Fonds
  • ca. 1820s - ca. 2000

This fonds contains 19 accessions from University College. See accession-level descriptions for more details.

University of Toronto. University College

University of Toronto. Faculty of Information (iSchool) fonds

  • UTA 0102
  • Fonds
  • 1905-2008

This fonds consists of 14 accessions from the University of Toronto's Faculty of Information (iSchool) and its precursors. See accession-level descriptions for more details.

University of Toronto. Faculty of Information (iSchool)

Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) at the University of Toronto fonds

  • UTA 0171
  • Fonds
  • 1877-2016

This fonds contains 85 accessions from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) and its predecessors, the Faculty of Education and the Ontario College of Education. See accession-level descriptions for more details.

Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) at the University of Toronto

Adena Nevitt Black sous-fonds

This sous-fonds contain Adena Black’s diaries from the time of her marriage through the First World War, followed by correspondence from family members, her mother-in-law, Margaret Davidson, and, especially from her husband, Davidson. There are also a few letters from friends, some of whom, like the Houghtons, were associated with the Peking Union Medical School. The correspondence is grouped by family and, from Davidson, is arranged chronologically.

Also present are files documenting some of Adena’s activities in China and, in particular, her attempts to market Chinese-made objects, initially through a partnership with Daisy and Marion Boulton in Toronto (1924-1928) and latterly (1931-1934) through the Peking Temples Company, incorporated in Wilmington, Delaware in 1931. The goods were sold through a store in Port Carling in Muskoka, and through other venues. These files contain correspondence, and financial records and, for the Peking Temples Company, incorporation documents.

This sous-fonds ends with correspondence relating to the death of Davidson Black, tributes to him, and the design for and photographs of his grave. There are also files documenting Adena’s final years in China, including some on her husband’s library, her continuing interest in the fate of the Peking Union Medical School, and the writing of Dora Hood’s biography of her husband.

Black, Adena

Employment

Except for photographs, this series contains little documentation on Davidson Black’s employment before 1917 when he enlisted with the Canadian Army Medical Corps and went overseas. The bulk of this series relates to his work in China at the Peking Union Medical College, his anthropological research including his discovery of "Peking man", and his travels within China and to Mongolia, India, Siam, and elsewhere.

The files contain correspondence, photographs, addresses, and publications (including some drafts), and memorabilia. Most of the photographs were taken by Dr. Black himself, though some were taken by Adena and others (especially presentation copies) by friends and colleagues. Dr. Black carefully annotated many of the photos he took, often in considerable detail even to the time of day and the shutter speed used. Included are a few glass-plate negatives and about 50 lantern slides. The negatives are usually dated and were kept except if they were in good condition. On his travels, Dr. Black collected autographed photographs of many of the scientists and academics he met; these are included in this series.

Black (Davidson) Family fonds

  • UTA 1084
  • Fonds
  • 1871-2011

Personal records of the Davidson Black family, covering three generations, with particular reference to Davidson Black, the discoverer of Peking Man. Included are his diaries, extensive family correspondence and a few professional letters; files on his education, his employment, including his service in World War I but especially at Peking Union Medical College, his life in China generally, along with a few on his writings, and some artifacts. There is an extensive and well documented photo collection that helps tie the whole together. There are also a number of films made by Davidson Black between the late 1920s and 1932.

Black (Davidson) Family

University of Toronto. Office of the President

Consists of subject files, speeches and messages of university presidents from Sidney Smith to John R. Evans (1956-1978), files of the Vice-President Institutional Relations & Planning John Sword (1972-1973), and files of research assistant Frances Ireland (1906-1976). Subject files include budget (1973-1979), submissions to the President's Report (1962-1978), Operating Grants (1968-1979), administrative retreats (1976-1977), materials relating to the Ontario Council on University Affairs (1973-1975), task forces, pension, and various reports.

Clara Cynthia Benson fonds

  • UTA 1052
  • Fonds
  • [186-] - 1964

These personal records consist mainly of records documenting Clara Benson’s non-professional activities such as work with the Women’s Athletic Association of the University of Toronto, the YWCA and her relationship with family members and friends. The personal correspondence in Series 2 provides the most detailed information about her relationship with family, friends and activities. Letters from her parents and siblings provide an insight into her activities and progress at the University of Toronto during her undergraduate years. A few letters, however, will be found from colleagues at the university such as Prof. A.B. Macallum, Prof. Annie Laird and others.

Unfortunately documentation relating to her academic activities is limited to some correspondence and notes found in Series 5 relating to her efforts from 1920s onwards to have the Women’s Athletic Building built. Her early education in Port Hope is documented in the school books, essays and other records in Series 4. Series 4 also contains her framed diplomas for B.A. and Ph.D. No manuscripts of her publications, including her Ph D. thesis appear to have survived. The lecture notes in Series 7 do provide some indication of the content of her courses in food chemistry, and were probably used repeatedly, year after year.

Dr. Benson also recorded her travel and sightseeing activities both abroad and in Canada on film. Series 10 contains 50 rolls of 16mm film documenting her trips to Egypt (1926), England (1937 and late 1940’s and early 1950’s), South America (1939) and the United States (1939, 1948). Some of her leisure time, both while at the University of Toronto and after her retirement, was spent filming events and scenery in Toronto in general, and the University in particular, as well as her family at home in Port Hope.

Benson, Clara Cynthia

Ross Oliff Stewart fonds

  • UTA 1809
  • Fonds
  • 1908-1912

Engineering drawings related to mechanical engineering course work.

Stewart, Ross Oliff

OISE/UT

This series begins with files that Professor Lang’s broad activities within OISE/UT as recorded in his performance assessments, activity reports and course evaluations. There are followed by files on the Provost’s OISE Committee of the late 1970s through the mid-1980s, which include material on the first pass at the thorny issue of the possible integration of OISE into the University of Toronto. Most of the files relating to the Higher Education Group, with which Professor Lang was primarily associated at OISE, contain material spanning almost 20 years on examination questions.

The bulk of this series, however, relates to the merger of OISE with the U of T to create, in 1995, OISE/UT. Professor Lang’s personal work binders on the merger are present, as are legal and other documents on the merger, followed by implementation files, including those of the Academic Implementation Task Force and on the issues relating to OISE’s property. The series concludes with files on the OISE/UT Joint MPHEd program with the Faculty of Medicine (2003-2004).

Daniel W. Lang fonds

  • UTA 1465
  • Fonds
  • 1957-2018

Personal records of Dr. Daniel W. Lang, professor, Department of Theory and Policy Studies, OISE/UT, and senior policy advisor to the president of the University of Toronto. Records include files relating to his activities as a senior administrator and policy advisor to University presidents James Ham, David Strangway, George Connell, Robert Prichard, and David Naylor. Files document projects, plans, financing, campus development, technology development, etc. Also includes records documenting his academic responsibilities relating to teaching, research and publication, as well as external consulting activities to various academic institutions and government bodies in Ontario and across Canada, particularly the Council of Ontario Universities and the Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities.

Lang, Daniel W.

Henry Abraham Regier fonds

  • UTA 1691
  • Fonds
  • 1970-1979

Files relating largely to the World Population Year and the World Population Conference held in Budapest, 1974; other files on population studies in general and Canadian population and immigration studies in particular; and a little material on later environmental concerns. Professor Regier was a special adviser to the official Canadian delegation at the 1974 conference.

Regier, Henry A.

Results 1 to 50 of 253