- 1862-1961 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.86 m of textual and graphic records (9 boxes)
305 lantern slides
100 glass plate negatives
Name of creator
John Galbraith was a Professor of Engineering at the School of Practical Science from its founding in 1878 until his death in 1914. He was the first Professor appointed to the School, and served as the Dean of Engineering of the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering after its merger into the University of Toronto from 1906 to 1914. He was widely remembered as the father of formal engineering education in Canada, and was widely respected for his technical expertise as well as his teaching.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records documenting the career of John Galbraith as a Dominion land surveyor and as Director and Dean of the School of Practical Science / Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering. Includes: letterbooks; correspondence; diaries; notebooks relating to trips to Georgian and Hudson Bays; records regarding bridge construction, as well as photographs; addresses; certificates; lecture notes; research notes; reports; prize books; biographical articles, tributes, and genealogical records.
Also includes an annotated map of the route taken by John Galbraith from Rupert's House to Lake Mistassini, July - August, 1881; and ca. 250 glass plate negatives and lantern slides depicting the investigation headed by Galbraith into the 1907 Quebec Bridge disaster.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Finding aid for accessions B1970-0001 and B1978-0018 only. Linked below.