CA ON00389 C8-1-22
Letters to Georges Ancey
- 1891-1917 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
13 Handwritten letters, and 4 handwritten telegrams, and 1 typed telegram
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Autograph letter from actor Georges Grand to Georges Ancey, dated «Casino de Royal, le 11 août 1891». Antoine told Grand that he was meeting with Ancey in Brittany. Grand wishes he were with the both of them. He is playing at the Casino, which is a tough life – a play gets five of six rehearsals only. But he has had success and thinks he will be hired again for the next season. Also: a note written at the bottom, by actor Albert Mayer, asking Ancey to write a role for him, something light.
- Autograph letter from Georges Grand to Madame Georges Ancey, dated «1er dec. 1917». Condolences letter to Ancey’s wife.
- Autograph letter from actor Coquelin to Georges Ancey [?], n.d. Invites Ancey [?] to come over to his place, to see his «modest collection».
- Autograph letter from journalist Edmond LeRoy to Georges Ancey [?], n.d., from «15, rue de Bruxelles» Asks what the future of the «new theater» will be, now that Antoine is the director of a state-sponsored theater. Can Ancey answer the question for the readers of LeRoy’s newspaper?
- Autograph letter from Abbé Hourisson [?] to Georges Ancey, dated «Tours, 29 mai 1905» Has heard that in Ancey’s new play, a character is named «Abbé Hourisson». Asks Ancey to change the name immediately. The letter will be given to Ancey by the Abbé’s cousin, who bears the same name and who is the editor of the newspaper L’Albevillois. The two men do not want their patronym used on the stage.
- Autograph letter from F. Chastanet to Georges Ancey, dated «Paris, le 21 juin 1889», on letterhead «Le Théâtre Libre. 96, Rue Blanche. Archives». Antoine is in Pornichet. As Ancey is in Paris, Chastanet and Ancey should climb the Eiffel tower. Nothing new to announce, only gossips (about Méténier, Céard, Denbourg).
- Autograph telegram from F. Chastanet to Georges Ancey, stamped «25 avril 91». Does not understand Ancey’s displeasure. Antoine’s initiative is partly due to the fact that it was 2am. Will have enough room for everybody in the box reserved for him.
- Autograph telegram from F. Chastanet to Georges Ancey, from Bordeaux, stamped «8 mai 92». Antoine is asking Ancey not to sign anything for Bordeaux before talking to him.
- Autograph telegram from F. Chastanet and Schurmann to Georges Ancey, from Bordeaux, stamped «7 mai 92». Play just finished. Three encores, great success, full house. Congratulations.
- Autograph letter from F. Chastanet to Georges Ancey, dated «Lundi 20 août» - note pencilled: [?]. Just found Ancey’s letter. Antoine will be in Paris at the end of the week – as soon as he knows when exactly, Chastanet will be in touch with Ancey, so that Ancey can see Antoine rested and happy before the start of the rehearsals. Asks Ancey to check the «maquette» and to chose the seats he prefers. Chastanet is working at the rehearsal.
- Autograph letter from F. Chastanet to Georges Ancey, dated «Samedi 27 juillet» - note pencilled: [?]. Antoine is away. He would be grateful if the author of Monsieur Lamblin could give a new play to the Théâtre Libre, for another success.
- Autograph letter from F. Chastanet to Georges Ancey, dated «Paris, le 16 septembre 1891», on letterhead «Le Théâtre Libre. 96, Rue Blanche. Administration». Will take measures to accommodate Ancey. Chastanet just got back from Switzerland, where he was in a car accident. His wife broke her wrist; he hurt his right shoulder. Hopes to see the Anceys a lot during the coming winter.
- Autograph letter from F. Chastanet to Georges Ancey, dated «Paris, Dimanche» [n.d.], on letterhead: «Le Théâtre Libre. 96, Rue Blanche. Direction». Great success for Elisa and Léontine. Good takings, house almost full, encores after each act. Will contact Mlle Pérot. Will be in contact very soon.
- Autograph letter from F. Chastanet to Georges Ancey, dated «7 mai 1901», letterhead: «9, Rue Blanche». Talked to Gémier, who is in agreement. Gémier would like to see the play. Ancey should send his manuscript as soon as possible. Chastanet really likes Ces Messieurs.
- Autograph letter from F. Chastanet to Georges Ancey, dated «5 mars 1899». Is leaving for Hambourg – will see Ancey at the première of Curel’s play. Has seen Le vieux marcheur. It is a bad play, and it’s not doing well.
- Autograph telegraph from F. Chastanet to Georges Ancey, date not legible. A newspaper is asking for an interview with Ancey. What should Chastanet say?
- Typed telegram from F. Chastanet to Georges Ancey, stamped «19 mars 92». La dupe may be staged once in Holland.
- Autograph letter from F. Chastanet to Georges Ancey, dated «Paris, le 26 novembre 1901», on letterhead «Théâtre de la Renaissance, Direction Gémier. Téléphone: 266.98». Has received the book sent by Ancey, and has sent a novel by Zola to Ancey. Hopes that Ancey will ask him for a box at the Théâtre de la Renaissance.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Box 2 Folder 22