CA ON00389 C8-1-23
Letters to Georges Ancey and James Sanders
- 1890-1955 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
13 handwritten letters, 3 typed letters, 2 handwritten bristol card notes, and 2 envelopes
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Autograph letter from Willy Schultz to Georges Ancey, n.d. Wants to say how much he appreciates L’École des veufs. Some subscribers to the newspaper (probably spinsters, says Schultz) have written to the editor, expressing their displeasure.
- Autograph letter from Willy Schultz to Georges Ancey [?], dated «Paris, le 25 [juin?] 189[-], on letterhead: «Société des Représentations de Tristan & Yseult. Siège social provisoire: 2, Rue Moncey, Paris». Invitation to an informal lunch with his sister and a few other people.
- Autograph bristol card from Serge Basset, dated «Jeudi 26», on letterhead «Le Figaro, 26, rue Drouot». Would like to recommend Mme Marcelle Jullien for a role in Ces Messieurs. She is talented, Descaves can confirm. The Figaro would be grateful.
- Autograph letter from M. Vaucaire to Georges Ancey, n.d. – with envelope stamped «5 février 1905». Has received a letter from «notre cher directeur». Ancey should not worry.
- Autograph carte-lettre from M. Vaucaire to Georges Ancey, stamped «2 mars 96». Thanks Ancey for his note. Will dedicate his «pièce osée!» to Ancey.
- Autograph letter from Octave Maus to Georges Ancey, dated «23 mai 90». Thanks Ancey for sending copies of his plays. Monsieur Lamblin was temporarily suspended because Mme Picard is quite unwell. Will read with interest the brochure published by the Théâtre Libre.
- Autograph letter from Frantz Jourdain to Georges Ancey, dated «Paris, le 10 juin 1889», on letterhead «Frantz Jourdain, Architecte-Expert. Membre de la Société centrale des architectes. 14, rue de Clichy, 14. Mardi & Vendredi, de 1 à 3 heures». The director of the Cluny is looking for Ancey. Jourdain mentioned Ancey’s comedy to him, and he is interested in staging it.
- Autograph bristol card from Gustave Geffroy to Georges Ancey, dated «Lundi» [from internal evidence: 1908?], on letterhead «Ministère de l’Instruction publique, des Beaux-Arts et des Cultes. Manufacture nationale des Gobelins». Cannot make it on Friday, 11 December – will miss seeing Ancey and their common friends. Has enjoyed Ancey’s book on Athens. Ancey should send a copy to Clemenceau – Geffroy mentioned it to him.
- Autograph letter from Gustave Geffroy to Georges Ancey, dated «vendredi». Was unable to attend La dupe. Can Ancey give him 4 tickets for Tuesday?
- Autograph letter from Gustave Geffroy to Georges Ancey, n.d. Thanks Ancey for the evening and the conversation. Hopes to see him again this winter.
- Autograph carte-lettre from Georges Lecomte to Georges Ancey, dated «54, rue de Prony 28/1/02», stamped «28-1-02». Thanks Ancey for his cordial letter. Thinks highly of Ancey’s plays. As a playwright, Ancey is following the «grande tradition classique française».
- Autograph carte-lettre from Georges Lecomte to Madame Georges Ancey, dated «mardi soir», stamped «Paris 21-11-17», with letterhead «18, Bard Auguste-Blanqui (XIIIe) Tél. Gobelins 02-78». Has just heard about Ancey’s passing. Ancey had a great and original talent.
- Autograph carte-lettre from Georges Lecomte to Georges Ancey, dated «54, rue de Prony, samedi soir», stamped «21 Dec 04». Is delighted with Ancey’s success. After 15 years of friendship, «on s’embrasse!»
- Autograph letter from Georges Lecomte to Georges Ancey, dated «54, rue de Prony, Dimanche». Lecomte will write an article on Becque in the Revue de Paris – will take the opportunity to write about Ancey. Can Ancey send copies of his plays to Lecomte? Lecomte would like to meet soon, to discuss.
- Autograph letter from Georges Lecomte to Georges Ancey, dated «54, Rue de Prony, 17ème». Analyzes Ancey’s play: the characters are strong, the play is written with the truth in mind. Regrets that the play was censored – is convinced it will be staged eventually.
- Typed letter from Georges Lecomte to James Sanders, dated «19 mai 1950, 82, rue du Ranelagh, XVIe», on letterhead «Académie française, 23 Quai Conti, VIe. Le Secrétaire perpétuel», envelope stamped «19 mai 50». Met Ancey at the Théâtre Libre – Antoine staged Lecomte’s plays, as well as Ancey’s. Lecomte has always appreciated Ancey’s works. Ancey was a «grand bourgeois», elegant, witty, ironic. Lecomte says that he never had a close relationship with Ancey, so he cannot give Sanders any more information.
- Typed letter from Georges Lecomte to James Sanders, dated «29 mai 1952, 82, rue du Ranelagh, XVIe», on letterhead «Académie française, 23 Quai Conti, VIe. Le Secrétaire perpétuel». Lecomte has nothing to add about the Théâtre Libre. Even if he is extraordinarily busy, Lecomte can meet Sanders on Tuesday, 3 June, at 5pm.
- Typed letter from Georges Lecomte to James Sanders, dated «25 mai 1955, 82 rue du Ranelagh, XVIe», on letterhead «Académie française. Le Secrétaire perpétuel». Would be happy to see Sanders to discuss André Antoine. Unfortunately, he is unwell and unable to have visitors.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Box 2 Folder 23