- 1930-1990 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Mathers & Haldenby was an achitectural firm based in Toronto, Ontario that existed between 1921 and 1991.
Mathers & Haldenby was founded by Alvan Sherlock Mathers and Eric Wilson Haldenby. They were both succeeded respectively by their sons Andrew S. Mathers and Douglas Charles Haldenby, in 1964. These two men maintained control of the firm until it ceased practice in December 1991.
The firm's clients were mainly in Toronto, but it also did work both alone and in conjunction with other firms in various locations in Ontario and throughout Canada, notably Halifax, Kingston, Calgary, Waterloo, Quebec City and Ottawa, as well as Australia and the Caribbean.
Major works by the firm include various buildings for the University of Toronto, Queen's University (Kingston), and Dalhousie University (Halifax), Upper Canada College (Toronto) , and government buildings in Ottawa and Toronto.
Additionally, Mathers & Haldenby designed many other buildings, including office and industrial buildings, commercial buildings, school and university buildings, residences, and hospitals.
- Alvan S. Mathers (1895-1965) was born in Aberfoyle, Ontario. He attended high school at Thorold and Chesley, Ontario, and the University of Toronto, graduating in 1917. Initially he was a partner in the architectural firms of John M. Lyle, Wickson and Gregg, Banigan, Mathers and Thompson, and Eden Smith and Mathers. Subsequently he joined with Eric W. Haldenby.
- Eric W. Haldenby (1893-1971) was born in Toronto in 1893. He attended Parkdale Collegiate and the University of Toronto, graduating in 1921 after serving overseas during World War I. Haldenby died in Toronto in 1971.
- Andrew S. Mathers (b. 1934) was born in Toronto, and graduated from the University of Toronto in 1959. He worked with Gordon S. Adamson from 1959 to 1961, and then became a partner in Mathers & Haldenby in 1961.
- Douglas C. Haldenby (1925-2004) was born in Toronto. After serving in World War II, he graduated from the University of Toronto in 1948. At that time he joined Mathers & Haldenby, where he was a supervising architect for projects outside of Ontario before becoming a partner.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Architectural drawings relating to buildings designed by Mathers & Haldenby, Architects for the University of Toronto including 21 King's College Circle (Bookshop), Archives Building (Canadiana Gallery), Botany Building (Tanz Neuroscience), Connaught Labs (1 Spadina Crescent and Dufferin Divisions), David Dunlap Observatory, Forestry building, Hygiene and Public Health Building (Fitzgerald), Sir Daniel Wilson Residence, Power House Building, Rosebrugh Building, Robarts Library, Sigmund Samuel Library, Simcoe Hall, South Borden Building, Thermodynamics building, University College, and Whitney Hall.
Also includes drawings for 2 private residences.