- 1888 - 2004 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Approximately 600 photographs
1 graphic item
Name of creator
St. Hilda’s College was created in 1888 by Provost C.W.E. Body to enable the education of women, in tandem with the male students at Trinity College. A Council was formed in 1888 and a Charter, dated 11 February 1890, contains the declaration of incorporation. St. Hilda's College was originally incorporated under the provisions of Chapter 172 of the Revised Statues of Ontario 1887, and subsequently in 1956 was continued by "Letters Patent Continuing St. Hilda's College”. Provost Body appointed Ellen Pattesen, later Mrs. Oswald Rigby as first Principal Miss Patteson and two students moved into a house on Euclid Avenue. In 1889 the College moved to two houses on Shaw Street, to two larger houses on the same street in 1892, and a third adjoining house was added in 1895. In 1899 the cornerstone for a new building was laid on the grounds of Trinity College, designed by Eden Smith. Miss Mabel Cartwright succeeded Mrs. Rigby in 1903. By 1908 the student population had outgrown the new building, and St. Hilda’s expanded into the Provost’s lodge across the driveway, with Miss Mary Elizabeth Strachan presiding over the students in residence there. Some students also lived with Professor and Mrs. Duckworth in their Crawford Street house.
For the first few years, students at St. Hilda’s were lectured separately, but by 1894 all lectures at Trinity were open to women. After the First World War the Principal of St. Hilda’s became a permanent member of the Trinity teaching staff. In 1915, the Principal of St. Hilda’s received the additional title of Dean of Women, giving her jurisdiction over the non-resident students, who increased in number after federation with the University of Toronto.
The move to Queen’s Park in 1925 resulted in the purchase of first one, later three houses on St. George Street. Finally, in 1938, St. Hildians moved into their present home, a Georgian residence on Devonshire Place. Miss Cartwright retired in 1936 and was succeeded by Dr. Mossie Mae Kirkwood. Subsequent Deans were Miss Katherine M. Darroch (1953-1963), Miss Melinda H. Seaman (1963-1978), Dr. Elizabeth M. Rowlinson, (1978-1991) and Dr. Elizabeth Abbott (1991-2004).
In 2004 Trinity became co-ed and the office of the Dean of Women/Dean of St. Hilda’s College ceased to exist. Kelly Castle was named the first Dean of Students, Trinity College.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uploaded finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Rules and/or conventions used