- 1979-2017 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
4.5 MB (130 digital files)
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The records in this series from B2008-0023 document many articles and papers published by Rayside from 1977 to 2002. The topics range from his early interest and research on federalism and small towns to his extensive research on gay rights and gender equality for which he is now so well known. Arranged chronologically, most files contain correspondence and draft typescripts and some also contain research notes and reader’s comments. There are also some interview transcripts and notes for Prof. Rayside’s article “Gay Rights and Family Values: The Passage of Bill 7 in Ontario” (1987) as well as for a series of articles written in the early 1990s on AIDS in Canada with Evert Lindquist. Most published reviews written by Rayside from 1979 to 1994 are amassed in one folder. Note that many records in this series are electronic. Also included are cassette recordings of some of his talks and public appearances.
Records from B2013-0015 document Rayside’s published peer-reviewed articles, chapters in books, encyclopedia entries, magazine and newspaper articles and reviews. Topics for these records focus mainly on gay rights and gender equity. Sub-topics include marriage, parenting and workplace safety.
Records from B2017-0024 includes assessments done by Rayside for refereed papers 2013-2017. There are also drafts for papers Employment Equity written with Gerry Hunt and The Inadequate Recognition of Sexual Diversity published in in the Journal of Canadian Studies. Records also document his contributions to two books Queering Ontario (UBC Press, 2012 ?)and After Marriage Equality: the Future of LGBT Rights (NYU Press 2015) Finally there are two files relating to his contribution to Who’s Who in Gay and Lesbian History (Sidney’s Biographies), 1999-2006.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
- B2008-0023/022: Papers and Articles, 1977-1988
- B2008-0023/023: Papers and Articles and reviews, 1987-2000,
- B2008-0023/024: Papers with Lindquist on AIDS, 1990-1993
- B2008-0023/014 (03)-(04): Transcripts and interview notes, 1987, 1990
- B2008-0023/004S: Talks and public appearances 1982-1994
- B2008-0023: digital files
- B2013-0015/022: Peer-reviewed articles, chapters in books, encyclopedia entries
- B2013-0015/023: Encyclopedia entries, magazine and newspaper articles, published reviews
- B2017-0024/014: Assessments, 2013-2017
- B2017-0024/015: Papers and Contributions in books, 2011-2015
- B2017-0024/016 (01)-(02): “Sidney’s Biographies”, 1999-2006
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
- All interviews, transcripts and related notes are restricted for 50 years from the date of the interview.
- See finding aid linked below for further details.
- All other material is open.