Fonds 0214 - University of Toronto. Health Service fonds

Identity area

Reference code

CA UTA 0214

Title

University of Toronto. Health Service fonds

Date(s)

  • 1941-2001 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

1.7 m (2 boxes) of textual records and photographs

Context area

Name of creator

(1921 - current)

Administrative history

The University of Toronto Health Service provides health care, counseling, and education services to students of the University of Toronto. The Service’s staff includes family physicians, registered nurses, health promotion nurses, peer health educators, lab technicians and a community health coordinator.

The origins of the University of Toronto Health Service go back to the early twentieth century. In 1906, following the deaths of two students playing rugby, the Board of Governors directed that “no student is to be allowed to take part in any of the more violent forms of exercise until medically examined” and that a physician be in attendance at intercollegiate football games. As a result, Dr. James Barton was appointed Physical Examiner and Secretary-Treasurer of the Athletic Association in 1907. In 1921, Dr. George Porter became the first Director of the Men’s Health Service, which was located at Hart House. At the same time, Dr. Edith Hamilton Gordon was named first Director of the Women’s Health Service which was then housed at 44 Hoskins Avenue. Dr. Charles Gossage served as Director from 1935 to 1949. He established the Hart House Athletic Injury Service in 1935 as well as the University Infirmary and Consulting Offices in 1941. The Men’s Health Service moved to 43 St. George St. in 1941. The Men’s and Women’s Health Services were administratively combined in 1942, although they remained in separate locations. Further, a psychiatric service was opened in 1947 under the direction of Dr. John Dewan. Dr. George Wodehouse became Director of Health Services in 1950. He was succeeded by Dr. David R.F. Smith in 1984. The Men’s and Women’s Divisions were finally joined at a single location, the Koffler Student Services Centre.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This fonds contains 2 accessions from the University of Toronto's Health Service. See accession-level descriptions for details.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Restricted; subject to review under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

See accession-level descriptions

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Description identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places