collection 0214 - University of Toronto. Health Service fonds

Zone d'identification

Cote

CA UTA 0214

Titre

University of Toronto. Health Service fonds

Date(s)

  • 1941-2001 (Production)

Niveau de description

collection

Étendue matérielle et support

1.7 m (2 boxes) of textual records and photographs

Zone du contexte

Nom du producteur

(1921 - current)

Histoire administrative

The University of Toronto Health Service provides health care, counseling, and education services to students of the University of Toronto. The Service’s staff includes family physicians, registered nurses, health promotion nurses, peer health educators, lab technicians and a community health coordinator.

The origins of the University of Toronto Health Service go back to the early twentieth century. In 1906, following the deaths of two students playing rugby, the Board of Governors directed that “no student is to be allowed to take part in any of the more violent forms of exercise until medically examined” and that a physician be in attendance at intercollegiate football games. As a result, Dr. James Barton was appointed Physical Examiner and Secretary-Treasurer of the Athletic Association in 1907. In 1921, Dr. George Porter became the first Director of the Men’s Health Service, which was located at Hart House. At the same time, Dr. Edith Hamilton Gordon was named first Director of the Women’s Health Service which was then housed at 44 Hoskins Avenue. Dr. Charles Gossage served as Director from 1935 to 1949. He established the Hart House Athletic Injury Service in 1935 as well as the University Infirmary and Consulting Offices in 1941. The Men’s Health Service moved to 43 St. George St. in 1941. The Men’s and Women’s Health Services were administratively combined in 1942, although they remained in separate locations. Further, a psychiatric service was opened in 1947 under the direction of Dr. John Dewan. Dr. George Wodehouse became Director of Health Services in 1950. He was succeeded by Dr. David R.F. Smith in 1984. The Men’s and Women’s Divisions were finally joined at a single location, the Koffler Student Services Centre.

Histoire archivistique

Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert

Zone du contenu et de la structure

Portée et contenu

This fonds contains 2 accessions from the University of Toronto's Health Service. See accession-level descriptions for details.

Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation

Accroissements

Mode de classement

Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation

Conditions d’accès

Restricted; subject to review under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act

Conditions de reproduction

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Notes sur la langue et l'écriture

Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques

Instruments de recherche

See accession-level descriptions

Zone des sources complémentaires

Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux

Existence et lieu de conservation des copies

Unités de description associées

Descriptions associées

Zone des notes

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Identifiant de la description

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

Langue(s)

Écriture(s)

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés