- ca. 1828 - [196-] (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 box of cartographic records
1 35mm reel of microfilm
Name of creator
The firm Speight, Van Nostrand, Anderson & Currie began life in 1885 when Thomas Bailey Speight (1859-1945) and Col. Arthur J. Van Nostrand entered into partnership, incorporating as Speight & Van Nostrand Ltd. in 1905. The firm was very active in opening up lands in both northern and southern Ontario. Over thirty Township Base Line and Meridian Surveys were performed by the firm by 1911, The firm expanded a number of times over the years. In 1903, it became Speight, Van Nostrand & Ward, with the addition of A.T. Ward. By 1919, with the inclusion of John Van Nostrand and R.M. Anderson, it was known as Speight, Van Nostrand, Ward & Anderson. In 1964, it became Speight, van Nostrand, Anderson & Currie. In 1936, after practising for 50 years, the two senior partners retired. The firm continued to expand its endeavours, becoming involved in various large real estate projects, including both residential and commercial developments projects.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Copies of original land surveys including 1828 land survey of the purchase of King College lands. Microfilm and paper copies of survey plans of Royal Ontario Museum property, and Trinity College. Original records held by City of Toronto Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access