- 1919-1980 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
3.96 m of textual and graphic material (29 boxes)
Name of creator
The Department of Biochemistry at the University of Toronto was founded in 1907-08, with Prof. Archibald Byron Macallum, who was head of the Physiology Department, as its first chairman. It was the first biochemistry department in Canada and one of the first in the world. Prof. Macallum is credited with the organization and extension of the Medical School at Toronto in the early 1900’s and he was a strong advocate for the construction (1902-1904) of the original Medical Building, on the third floor of which the Department of Biochemistry was housed for 60 years.
It became a division of the Faculty of Medicine in 1921.
For a detailed history of the Department, see http://biochemistry.utoronto.ca/about/history/
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This fonds contains 6 accessions from the Department of Biochemistry. See accession-level descriptions for details.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Restricted ; Subject to review under "Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act"
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Box and File Lists are available for some accessions.