- 1849-1945 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1.04 m of graphic and textual records
Name of creator
The University of Toronto's Department of Pathology and Bacteriology was established in 1897 when the Department of Pathology (originally est. in 1891) was renamed to include Bacteriology. The Department existed until 1951, when Pathology and Bacteriology split for form stand alone departments. The Department of Bacteriology existed until 1971, when it become the Department of Medical Microbiology, and was later combined with the Department of Medical Genetics (est. in 1996) to form the Department Medical Microbiology and Genetics (1997). Meanwhile, in 1997, the Department of Pathology was combined with the Department of Clinical Biochemistry (est. in 1972) to form the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This fonds contains 1 accession.
A1989-0005: Contains introductory remarks to Dr. James Bovell's first lecture in Pathology at King's College, 1849.
Photographs include staff composites, ca. 1928-1936; portraits of William Brebner, William Hendry and Ronald Saddington who were University of Toronto graduates who died of a virus contracted while conducting research; the gathering of the American Association of Pathologists and Bacteriologists at the Royal York, 1934; portraits of staff members including William Lipsett Robinson and William Lindlow Holman.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Restricted ; Subject to review under "Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act"