Type of entity
Authorized form of name
University of Toronto. Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
1873 - current
It all began in 1873 with the creation of the School of Practical Science – a single red brick building that offered students instruction in mining, engineering, mechanics and manufacturing. The School of Practical Science, also known as the “Little Red Schoolhouse,” officially became a part of the University of Toronto in 1906 and its name changed to the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering.
Since 1873, the Faculty has had roughly 50,000 students pass through its doors and leave as engineering professionals. Throughout our incredible history, we have consistently drawn inspiration from the exceptional men and women that have made their mark not only within the Faculty and University communities, but also in the field of engineering. This is evidenced by the hundreds of awards and honours received by members of our Faculty over the years.
While the Faculty has changed over the years to include a wider range of engineering programs, new technology, facilities, and a broader global perspective, it is with the same spirit and vigor that current Engineering students and Faculty continue to make strides in the field of engineering – improving the lives of others around the world.
from - http://www.engineering.utoronto.ca/about/history/