- 1882-1998 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
17.23 m; 87 boxes of textual graphic and architectural records, 24 items
Name of creator
"A Department of Architecture was established at the University of Toronto in 1890, making ours the first architecture program in Canada and one of the earliest on the continent. The five-year Bachelor of Architecture was created in 1928, and the department was renamed the School of Architecture in 1933. Courses in town and regional planning were added in 1933, and the landscape courses were offered in 1934. In 1967 the school was granted faculty status with three departments: Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Urban and Regional Planning. In 1998 the University of Toronto approved a name change for the division to Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design, heralding the establishment of a suite of new graduate programs: Master of Architecture, Master of Landscape Architecture, and Master of Urban Design. Today, the faculty name has changed to become the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design in recognition of the historic gift of $14 million given by John and Myrna Daniels. We are extremely proud of our 120-plus-year history and the thousands of graduates who have gone on the lead creative lives throughout the world." - taken from https://daniels.utoronto.ca/about/history
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This fonds contains 11 accessions of records from the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design. See accession-level descriptions for details.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Restricted ; Subject to review under "Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act"