Bell Telephone Laboratories

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Bell Telephone Laboratories

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1925-1984

History

Bell Telephone Laboratories, Inc. was established in 1925 through the consolidation of various engineering departments within the American Telephone & Telegraph (AT&T) Company and the Western Electric company. In 1934, AT&T's Development and Research Department, which had been devoted to bridging the gap between laboratory research and the operations of communication systems, was integrated into Bell Laboratories. In 1984, as a consequence of a divestiture agreement with the U.S. Government, AT&T Corporation divested itself of its local exchange companies. As part of the divestiture agreement, AT&T Technologies assumed the business of Western Electric and Bell Laboratories.
Within the sphere of electronic music, Bell Labs are particularly known for their work in computer music, the pioneering work of Max Matthews in digital sound synthesis, and the resulting MUSICn series of programs.

Places

Murray Hill, New Jersey

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created March 25, 2020.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Manning, Peter, Eleanor Selfridge-Field, Suzel Ana Reily, and Anthony Pople. "Computers and music." Grove Music Online. 2001. History of Bell Labs

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places