CA ON00389 C8-1-13
Bertrand de Jouvenel, letters to Léon Deffoux
- 1929-1934 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
5 handwritten letter, 1 typed document, 3 typed letter, 4 envelopes, 1 postcard, 1 photocopied article
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Autograph letter from Bertrand de Jouvenel to Léon Deffoux, n.d. – with envelope stamped «6 août 1929» Deffoux is the specialist on the naturalist movement: Jouvenel is writing a biography of Zola and would like to discuss with Deffoux about the period, the writers and their works.
- Typed letter from Léon Deffoux to Bertrand de Jouvenel, dated August 7, 1929 - carbon copy, no signature. Deffoux would be delighted to meet with de Jouvenel; he lists a number of sources on Zola, and mentions that de Jouvenel should meet with Maurice Leblond, Zola’s son-in-law, and with the novelist’s daughter, Mme Leblond.
- Autograph letter from Bertrand de Jouvenel to Léon Deffoux, n.d. – with envelope stamped «27 VIII 1929» Wants to thank Deffoux again for sharing his knowledge – may he come back for another meeting?
- Autograph letter from Bertrand de Jouvenel to Léon Deffoux, dated December 20, 1929 - with envelope – with a typed document (2 pages), listing questions about Zola Thanks Deffoux for his help, with regards to his questions about Zola.
- Autograph letter from Bertrand de Jouvenel to Léon Deffoux, n.d. – with envelope stamped «28 jan. 1930» Thanks Deffoux for sending documents; will visit him soon to reassure him about his up-coming book.
- Typed letter from Bertrand de Jouvenel to Léon Deffoux, dated February 4, 1931. Sends to Deffoux a fragment of his up-coming book on Zola. Has “romanticized” his depiction of Zola. Will include his thanks to Deffoux in the preface of the book.
- Typed letter from Léon Deffoux to Bertrand de Jouvenel, dated from Paris, February 5, 1931 - 2 copies, both signed. Expresses his reservations about de Jouvenel’s depiction of Zola. Asks de Jouvenel to include these reservations in the preface of his book.
- Autograph letter from Bertrand de Jouvenel to Léon Deffoux, n.d. [from internal evidence: 1933 or 1934] Is publishing a novel with his wife, Marcelle Prat; asks Deffoux if he can publish selected passages in L’Oeuvre; wonders if Deffoux knew that Zola’s friend, Valabrègue, is still alive.
- Postcard with portrait of Valabrègue by Cézanne, some notes scribbled on the back.
- Photocopy of a book page with Bertrand de Jouvenel's obituary notice.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Box 1 Folder 13
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Deffoux, Léon (Subject)