- 1915-1918, 1942 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1.70 m of textual and graphic records
Name of creator
The No. 4 Canadian General Hospital was a 1,040 bed base hospital that was approved on 26 March 1915 and shipped via England to Salonika in Greece on 15 May. Before this could happen, the Hospital had to be equipped and funds raised to pay for supplies. An immediate appeal was made by the UofT to 13,000 alumni, using envelopes that had been prepared for a now abandoned appeal for funds for a hockey rink. The work was organized by two committees. The first, representing the Board of Governors, Senate, and staff, arranged for the purchase of medical, surgical, and laboratory apparatus. The second, formed on 17 March as the Women's University Hospital Supply Association, was composed of ladies from the U of T and McMaster. It worked with a ‘large number of societies both in Toronto and throughout the Province to provide everything in the way of bed linen, surgical dressings and garments for patients.’ The two committees combined their efforts for fundraising.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This fonds consists of 3 accessions of records from the Canadian General Hospital No. 4. See accesion-level descriptions for more details.
A1980-0021: Correspondence among Charles Kirk Clarke, William Belfry Hendry, James Alexander Roberts and others concerning the hospital unit, together with memoranda on the unit's history and personnel; war diary, in three volumes, recording daily activities of the hospital in Salonika; albums of photographs of the unit's activities in England, in Salonika, and en route to those places (1915-1918). This fonds also contains one photo print of the Hospital (1942).
A1988-0014: Panoramic view of the Canadian General Hospital No. 4 taken in England. (1 photoprint)
A2016-0043: This accession contains a selection of x-rays done on soldiers at the Canadian General Hospital No. 4 during, and shortly after the First World War. The x-rays are mounted in an album, which patient names and wound descriptions listed on the back of each image. The accession also contains 4 detailed autopsy record books. The autopsies appear to have been completed at Basingstoke, England, where Hospital No. 4 was relocated from its original station in Salonika, Poland. Neither the x-rays or the autopsy reports appear to be complete.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Some records are restricted, subject to review under "Personal Health Information and Protection Act" (PHIPA). See accession-level description for further details.