CA ON00389 C8-1-21
Letters from Georges Ancey, and letter from L. Level (Ancey’s daughter)
- 1897-1949 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
4 handwritten letters, 1 typed transcription, 3 handwritten transcriptions, 1 envelope, and 1 postcard
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Autograph letter from Georges Ancey to [?], dated «Paris, 7 février 1897» Is answering to a question about the Théâtre Libre [TL]. The TL launched a generation of new playwrights. Antoine influenced comedians as well [letter is barely legible].
- Typed transcription of the letter from Georges Ancey to [?], dated «Paris, 7 février 1897», 2 copies.
- Autograph letter from Georges Ancey to [?], dated «Kerbon, 7 août 1897» Is in Britanny – goes cycling in the morning, reads and works in the afternoons. Is currently writing three plays. Does not really believe in «mise en scène» -- too often, directors are preoccupied with the decors, not the play. [The rest of the letter is barely legible.]
- Autograph letter from L. Level [Ancey’s daughter] to J. Sanders, dated «8 décembre 1949», with envelope stamped «Paris 9-12 1949». Answers J. Sanders’ questions regarding her father, his plays, his career, etc. Is sending various documents to Sanders, asking that they remain unpublished – her father would not have liked them made public as they are unfinished. With handwritten transcription by J. Sanders.
- Transcription of a second letter from L. Level (no original in the file) to Sanders, dated «27 juillet 1949», in which she gives information about Ancey’s ancestors.
- Handwritten biographical document about Ancey written by his daughter, dated «30 avril 1949» (with transcription by J. Sanders)
- Autograph postcard [Nantouillet Presles, S.O], from L. Level to J. Sanders, n.d. Would like Sanders to autograph the copy of his thesis – she enjoyed reading it.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Box 2 Folder 21