Series 2 - Records of the Women’s Student Union Advisory Committee / Wymilwood Committee

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Records of the Women’s Student Union Advisory Committee / Wymilwood Committee

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents

Level of description

Series

Reference code

CA ON00357 2058-2

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1917-1930 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

12 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1917-1930)

Administrative history

It had been decided by the Board of Regents in consultation with the Committee of Management, the Victoria Women's Association and the Alumnae Association that there was a need for a Women's Union in order to meet the needs of the growing number of women students on campus, particularly those not living in residence. M.H. Skinner, a graduate of Victoria College was appointed as the first Head of the Union. The Women's Union opened in 1917 in South Hall and all women students were required to pay $4 to support it. The Women’s Student Union Advisory Committee consisted of the Chancellor, the Head of the Union, the Head of Houses for the women's residences, and the Dean [of Men?] and oversaw the activities of the Union. Margaret Addison was not involved.

In 1925, Mrs. C.R. Wood and donated her residence to the University and Lady Flavelle provided a significant financial donation which was used to furnish and renovate the estate. The Wymilwood Committee was formed in 1925 and included Lady Flavelle and Mrs. Wood and it was decided that the Women's Union would would be moved to Wymilwood. Wymilwood was officially opened on January 14th, 1926. The new Head of the Union was Miss Dortothy Kilpatrick reported to the Wymilwood Committee, along with the Dean of Women and the Chancellor. The financial management of Wymilwood was overseen by the Committee of Management.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series consists of the minutes of the Women's Student Union Advisory Committee and minutes of the Wymilwood Committee. Also includes reports of the Head of the Union, the Union's financial records, lists of members, and ephemera from the opening of Wymilwood.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Records were initially placed in the Records related to Women collection, but we made into their own series under the Committee of Management to better reflect their provenance.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are anticipated

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres