The history of the Victoria University Archives is intertwined with that of the United Church as it was initially a repository primarily concerned with records created by the Church. In 1953 the Archives was given a space in the Wymilwood Building and led by an Archivist-Historian who was jointly appointed by the Church and the University. In 1961, the holdings were moved to the newly opened E.J. Pratt Library and then in 1972, a new agreement was reached and the Archives was set up in the Birge-Carnegie Building where it would operate as the United Church of Canada/Victoria University Archives until 2008. It was at which time that the The United Church Archives and the Victoria University Archives separated. The records of the University were retained at Birge-Carnegie, while church records were moved to the new United Church Archives at Church House in Etobicoke, Ontario.
Mandates/Sources of authority
The Victoria University Archives is the repository for the acquisition, preservation and use of University records of permanent value. The Archives Program is described in the Victoria University Records and Archives Policy which can be accessed on our website.