Victoria University (Cobourg, Ont.). Department of Medicine

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Victoria University (Cobourg, Ont.). Department of Medicine

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Victoria College (Cobourg, Ont.).‏ Faculty of Medicine‏
  • Victoria College (Cobourg, Ont.).‏ Medical Dept

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1854-1890

History

The Department of Medicine was established in 1854 when John Rolph's medical school in Toronto became attached to Victoria College. In 1866, L'École de médecine et de chirurgie de Montréal also became affiliated with Victoria College. No classes were actually given in Cobourg, however the medical diplomas were issued by Victoria College/University because neither medical school was empowered to grant degrees on their own. The Department's Medical Board of Examiners was established in 1875 to examine students with certificates from medical schools who wished to obtain M.D. degrees. Dr. Uzziel Ogden taught on the Toronto Faculty for many years. The name of the Department was changed when Victoria University was constituted in 1884, and the Department ceased to exist when Victoria University became affiliated with the University of Toronto.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Victoria University Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC