Title and statement of responsibility area
Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Faculty of Theology Fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
2 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The first course in Theology was given at Victoria College in 1871-1872. The next year the course was enlarged into a department, with courses leading to a degree of Bachelor of Divinity. In 1873 the Department became a fully organized Faculty of Theology.
After Victoria University federated with University of Toronto in 1890, and moved from Cobourg to Toronto, Victoria University held in abeyance its power to grant degrees except those in Divinity. When the United Church in Canada was formed in 1925, various legal/property considerations lead to the non-concurring Presbyterian Church retaining the Knox College building with the provision that the United Church was permitted joint occupancy for three years.
Following a Dominion Property Commission decision in 1927, which awarded the Presbyterians the name and charter and the greater part of the endowments of Knox, the United Church incorporated a college to be known as Union Theological College, comprising those of Knox College (United Church) and uniting with Victoria to form with its Faculty of Theology, a Theological College of the United Church. Two months later Union College became separately federated with the University of Toronto.
In the summer of 1927, the Union College students moved out of the Knox College building and established headquarters on the Victoria campus for the 1927-1928 year. An Act was passed in April 1928 that combined Union College with the Victoria Faculty of Theology to form Emmanuel College.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of three series: Minutes and other records, 1868–1928; Records of the Dean of Theology, 1910–1928; and Records of students, 1871–1928.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Some files are available in PDF. Check for links under Series or File.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Generated finding aid
See also the Ephemera Collection: http://library.vicu.utoronto.ca/archives/ephemera
No further accruals are expected.