Title and statement of responsibility area
Victoria College (Toronto, Ont.). French Department fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
CA ON00357 2138
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
12 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The first courses in French and French Literature were offered at Victoria College in 1856, however the programme did not expand until the 1880s when the College appointed Alfred H. Reynar, S.C. Smoke, Andrew James Bell and Lewis Eermson Horning. After federation with the University of Toronto, Reynar continued to lead French studies. After the move to Toronto from Cobourg, the French Department was led by John Petch from 1889 until 1898 when it was taken over to Oscar Pelham Edgar. Victoria College's French Department continued to exist separately from that of the University of Toronto, however collaboration was common and the heads of the departments from all the federated college's would meet bi-annually. The were led by a Chairman and a committee was also struck in order to strengthen collaboration and set guidelines. In 1975, the federated college's undergraduate french departments were unified (prior to this graduate programs had unified under the Graduate Department of Romance Languages). A single university Department of French was thus created to ease administrative issues. For practical purposes, most members of the College's department remained in their offices at Victoria. David Smith of Victoria College became the first chairman of the new centralized department.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of Victoria College French Department files concerning individuals who have taught French courses at the College. The files include class evaluations, resumes, letters of recommendation, applications for sabbaticals and funding, and other correspondence, 1970-1998.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photographs are described in the photograph database : http://archival-photos.vicu.utoronto.ca/
The University of Toronto Archives holds the records of the University of Toronto French Department.
Victoria University Library Special Collections holds the records of several professors of French Studies including Laure Rièse and Paul Bouissac.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession not yet catalogued to the file level.