Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Library

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Victoria University (Toronto, Ont.). Library

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Birge-Carnegie Library
  • Victoria College Library
  • E.J. Pratt Library

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

ca. 1840-

History

The library at Victoria University (and its earlier institutions) existed from at least the 1840s. In 1910, the Birge Carnegie Library was built to house the collection, and in 1961 the Victoria College Library was built for the Victoria College collection; the library was renamed to the E.J. Pratt Library in 1967.

The position of Librarian existed at Victoria University dating back to at least 1878. Incumbents in the position included:
John Fletcher McLaughlin, 1896-1907, 1912-1913;
Augustus Edward Lang, 1907-1912, 1913-1924;
Francis Louis Barber, 1924-1945;
John Daniel Robins, 1945-1952;
Margaret V. Ray, 1952-1965;
Lorna D. Fraser, 1965-1977;
Robert C. Brandeis, 1977-2013
Lisa Sherlock

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Victoria University Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC