- 1941-2001 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The University of Toronto Health Service provides health care, counseling, and education services to students of the University of Toronto. The Service’s staff includes family physicians, registered nurses, health promotion nurses, peer health educators, lab technicians and a community health coordinator.
The origins of the University of Toronto Health Service go back to the early twentieth century. In 1906, following the deaths of two students playing rugby, the Board of Governors directed that “no student is to be allowed to take part in any of the more violent forms of exercise until medically examined” and that a physician be in attendance at intercollegiate football games. As a result, Dr. James Barton was appointed Physical Examiner and Secretary-Treasurer of the Athletic Association in 1907. In 1921, Dr. George Porter became the first Director of the Men’s Health Service, which was located at Hart House. At the same time, Dr. Edith Hamilton Gordon was named first Director of the Women’s Health Service which was then housed at 44 Hoskins Avenue. Dr. Charles Gossage served as Director from 1935 to 1949. He established the Hart House Athletic Injury Service in 1935 as well as the University Infirmary and Consulting Offices in 1941. The Men’s Health Service moved to 43 St. George St. in 1941. The Men’s and Women’s Health Services were administratively combined in 1942, although they remained in separate locations. Further, a psychiatric service was opened in 1947 under the direction of Dr. John Dewan. Dr. George Wodehouse became Director of Health Services in 1950. He was succeeded by Dr. David R.F. Smith in 1984. The Men’s and Women’s Divisions were finally joined at a single location, the Koffler Student Services Centre.